Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 103336 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #360 on: November 26, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey pals, I'm gonna need your advises for some filming technique.
I had recently some issues with focusing during long lens shots.

I have to say that I was using autofocus, as I always do for long lens shots.

I was filming that big drop from the bottom, and was quite far from the skater.
I started the shot zoomed in at almost max on the skater, and was zooming out as he dropped the bank.

When the skater was on top of the bank, the focus was good, but during the drop as I zoomed out, the footage was out of focus, and then when the drop was over the camera managed to get the focus back.

The question is :
How can I shoot this kind of situation with manual focusing ?
If I manual focus when zoomed in, will the skater stay in focus as I zoom out and he gets closer to me ?
[close]

I also use auto when longlens, keeping the shutter and f stop high helps as well as having good light to do so

put it at manual and zoom it in where ya want the skater starts.

realriis

• Rep: 0
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #361 on: November 26, 2019, 11:09:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Time for a bump. Any tips for us idiots trying to export a VX video so that YouTube doesn't absolutely destroy the quality?
[close]

big bump, same shit here. excuse my formatting, just created an account, but having a real hard time finding good info on how to avoid the dreaded youtube compression. would upscaling the quality from match source to like 1080 help? heres my footy btw (i know, not skating, im a bit unorthodox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQl_rdLOCQ&lc=z23fvvnqtqv5evzpj04t1aokg1kw1nqzwbqcaechjle1bk0h00410
[close]

Upscale to 1440x1080. I don稚 use VX but do shoot old valve cameras to DV tape and upscaling in Adobe Media Encoder works really well.

you got it chief, I値l give that shot!

Little Debbie

« Reply #362 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »
yeah, available light is gonna dictate everything here. i would try lowering your shutter speed so things are kinda bright then pull back on that iris (increase fstop) so that everything has better chance of staying in focus. you know, the typical dance of compensation between the two

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #363 on: November 26, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
Anyone have any advice for someone needing a laptop that can capture miniDV  :-\
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #364 on: November 26, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »
Anyone have any advice for someone needing a laptop that can capture miniDV  :-\

You can probably find an older mac that isn't too expensive which would have a thunderbolt port (or whatever the port is called), then just get this firewire, https://www.amazon.com/Bizlander-Firewire-Premium-800-400-MacBook/dp/B01KPZTZNM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=macbook+firewire&qid=1574805280&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #365 on: November 28, 2019, 06:07:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey pals, I'm gonna need your advises for some filming technique.
I had recently some issues with focusing during long lens shots.

I have to say that I was using autofocus, as I always do for long lens shots.

I was filming that big drop from the bottom, and was quite far from the skater.
I started the shot zoomed in at almost max on the skater, and was zooming out as he dropped the bank.

When the skater was on top of the bank, the focus was good, but during the drop as I zoomed out, the footage was out of focus, and then when the drop was over the camera managed to get the focus back.

The question is :
How can I shoot this kind of situation with manual focusing ?
If I manual focus when zoomed in, will the skater stay in focus as I zoom out and he gets closer to me ?
[close]

I also use auto when longlens, keeping the shutter and f stop high helps as well as having good light to do so
[close]

put it at manual and zoom it in where ya want the skater starts.

Sorry guys i forgot to mention that I'm using a VX2100.
It seems that autofocus used to work but now it's kinda slow.
Maybe my camera needs a repair ?

I usually shoot at 2x the framerate, so 1/100 since I'm a PAL guy.
Regarding the aperture, of course it depends on the light but i rarely go higher than F6.7 and lower than F4.

The question is, if I manual focus zoomed in on the skater starting point, it will go out of focus when getting closer to me depending on the depth of field ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:09:43 AM by Thomas »
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

realriis

« Reply #366 on: November 30, 2019, 09:50:41 PM »
hey guys. so, my shits fucked up. i lost a good 30-45 minutes of footage the other night for no apparent reason. i got home, went to cap everything, and found that my footage just stops about a half hour before i stopped recording, with a few incoherent glitches here and there at random times. this was on a brand new, still in plastic Sony red tape. i took the tape out of my cap cam, and put it back in the vx to see if i could play it back on there (which is something i never do), and the exact same glitches persisted. since then, everything has worked fine, and ive been able to record on new and re-used tapes just fine. that said, im afraid to take the vx out again as i dont want to lose more important footage. i ran a cleaner tape through my vx and my cap cam, which is a JVC. JVC uses the same lube for their tapes as Sony. the only thing i can think of was that it was probably around thirty degrees out when i was shooting, but i dont know if that would have a major affect. has anybody had any similar issues before? any fixes? any insight would be MUCH appreciated!

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 487
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2019, 12:09:03 AM »
had a similar issue couple of years back. i was out filming with my vx in colder weather as well and when i was back home to capture the footage the whole tape was just empty. with nothing on there. vx didn奏 scream that something壮 not right and appeared to work just fine when out filming. i then called a local camera shop and the guy told me it was probably dirty heads. i sent it in to him, he cleaned them toroughly and since then my vx1000 works just fine.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2019, 12:18:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Time for a bump. Any tips for us idiots trying to export a VX video so that YouTube doesn't absolutely destroy the quality?
[close]

big bump, same shit here. excuse my formatting, just created an account, but having a real hard time finding good info on how to avoid the dreaded youtube compression. would upscaling the quality from match source to like 1080 help? heres my footy btw (i know, not skating, im a bit unorthodox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQl_rdLOCQ&lc=z23fvvnqtqv5evzpj04t1aokg1kw1nqzwbqcaechjle1bk0h00410
[close]

Upscale to 1440x1080. I don稚 use VX but do shoot old valve cameras to DV tape and upscaling in Adobe Media Encoder works really well.
[close]

you got it chief, I値l give that shot!

some nice 240's

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2019, 12:21:34 AM »
hey guys. so, my shits fucked up. i lost a good 30-45 minutes of footage the other night for no apparent reason. i got home, went to cap everything, and found that my footage just stops about a half hour before i stopped recording, with a few incoherent glitches here and there at random times. this was on a brand new, still in plastic Sony red tape. i took the tape out of my cap cam, and put it back in the vx to see if i could play it back on there (which is something i never do), and the exact same glitches persisted. since then, everything has worked fine, and ive been able to record on new and re-used tapes just fine. that said, im afraid to take the vx out again as i dont want to lose more important footage. i ran a cleaner tape through my vx and my cap cam, which is a JVC. JVC uses the same lube for their tapes as Sony. the only thing i can think of was that it was probably around thirty degrees out when i was shooting, but i dont know if that would have a major affect. has anybody had any similar issues before? any fixes? any insight would be MUCH appreciated!

Also happened to me a few years ago. One very cold winter night in Seattle it started glitching like no other. I ran a head cleaner tape through it and it was fine. Another thing that happens sometimes when I order a box of tapes off amazon, I get a few bad ones that don't want to film to the tape. They will keep breaking the timecode. Also don't re-use the same tape it isn't good for the camera.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »
Glitching like that is definitely due to the temperature; they池e very fickle/sensitive machines.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

realriis

« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
thank you guys, I値l keep that in mind. I値l hopefully figure out a way to shoot in the cold, maybe with some kind of warming blanket or something wrapped around the camera. Of course, now I知 having another issue. My capcam will not play back another one of my tapes. The VX plays it back perfectly. Am I just cursed?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2019, 03:53:19 PM »
thank you guys, I値l keep that in mind. I値l hopefully figure out a way to shoot in the cold, maybe with some kind of warming blanket or something wrapped around the camera. Of course, now I知 having another issue. My capcam will not play back another one of my tapes. The VX plays it back perfectly. Am I just cursed?

strap some hand warmers on the vx.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #373 on: December 02, 2019, 02:11:22 AM »

You should run a cleaning cassette in your cap cam and try again.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
Re: VX1000 backpack recommendations?
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
I commend your efforts to protect valuable equipment.

However, my homie just wraps it in tshirt or old hoody and carries in his eastpak backpak. No specialty bags.

I mean, choose the bag which catches your eye, rugged materials, plenty internal of padding, is comfortable to wear. Consider also room for laptop and other media peripherals.

one thing. If you're getting a laptop pack. Always check to make sure the bottom of the bag is padded. We had a Swiss army pack. It was very good for the camera and held a 17in power book that split open because of bad design by crApple and Swiss Army.

Bottom of bag should have been padded where the laptop touched the floor.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

realriis

« Reply #375 on: December 02, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Anybody ever have a problem with the audio not syncing with the video in Adobe Premier? I have a feeling it has to do with the capture settings.

hard to say, is it not syncing for the entire clip in the media browser? or is it when you drag it onto your timeline?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #376 on: December 02, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody ever have a problem with the audio not syncing with the video in Adobe Premier? I have a feeling it has to do with the capture settings.
[close]

hard to say, is it not syncing for the entire clip in the media browser? or is it when you drag it onto your timeline?

Had this problem before, the video file was just corrupted. One way around it if you're short on time is to just unsynch the audio/video timelines and resynch it manually - but that's obviously a pain in the ass.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #377 on: December 02, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

happens all the time. Just un-link the audio and move it so it syncs up, and re-link it.

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #378 on: December 07, 2019, 08:03:40 AM »
Hey Pals, so I just recently got a mk1. When I tried to attach it to my vx1000 it would not lock. I followed the directions thoroughly i.e lined up the two dots underneath the mic, rotated both dots until it stopped, and then rotated the outer half to the left. It still came off... i tried it from other directions but still had no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so were you able to fix it? Is there a technique that I should use?

Thanks Pals!

Switch Tre Gang

• Rep: 1
« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2019, 11:20:15 PM »
Hey Pals,

I've got a focusing question for the vx1000. I've always been under the impression to zoom in the subject and then focus and then I can zoom out and it'll hold focus. With my vx1000 that is not happening, as soon as I zoom out it loses focus for the rest of the shot. Any help? would be greatly appreciated - it's ruining my long lens fun!

KDP

• Rep: 12
« Reply #380 on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:27 AM »
Hey Pals,

I've got a focusing question for the vx1000. I've always been under the impression to zoom in the subject and then focus and then I can zoom out and it'll hold focus. With my vx1000 that is not happening, as soon as I zoom out it loses focus for the rest of the shot. Any help? would be greatly appreciated - it's ruining my long lens fun!

Might be a back focus problem. Has your camera taken a couple of knocks? The rear lens in the barrel might have shifted...
Does it happen at all apertures?

Switch Tre Gang

« Reply #381 on: December 09, 2019, 01:27:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

[close]

Might be a back focus problem. Has your camera taken a couple of knocks? The rear lens in the barrel might have shifted...

It hasn't taken any hits, but may have done during shipping or when used by the previous owner. It seems to happen at the majority of apertures from testing but definitely much worse/noticeable at anything lower than f8. If it is indeed a back focus problem, what's the best solution? Thanks

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »
Hey Pals, so I just recently got a mk1. When I tried to attach it to my vx1000 it would not lock. I followed the directions thoroughly i.e lined up the two dots underneath the mic, rotated both dots until it stopped, and then rotated the outer half to the left. It still came off... i tried it from other directions but still had no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so were you able to fix it? Is there a technique that I should use?

Thanks Pals!
you might have bought a vx2000 mk1 by accident. if thats the case youll want to buy a vx1 bayo

http://www.bayorings.com/index.php/online-shop/bayorings/vx1000-replica-bayoring-22.html
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
« Reply #383 on: December 09, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks Pals!
[close]
you might have bought a vx2000 mk1 by accident. if thats the case youll want to buy a vx1 bayo

http://www.bayorings.com/index.php/online-shop/bayorings/vx1000-replica-bayoring-22.html

It's a vx1000 :(

Could it possibly be that my bayoring on the vx1000 is no good? It looks fine but maybe there's something missing that I don't know about..

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #384 on: December 09, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks Pals!
[close]

[close]

It's a vx1000 :(

Could it possibly be that my bayoring on the vx1000 is no good? It looks fine but maybe there's something missing that I don't know about..

Post a picture if you're unsure. The lens should mount to the camera regardless of it's orientation as long as the slots and pins are aligned.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #385 on: December 09, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

[close]

[close]

It hasn't taken any hits, but may have done during shipping or when used by the previous owner. It seems to happen at the majority of apertures from testing but definitely much worse/noticeable at anything lower than f8. If it is indeed a back focus problem, what's the best solution? Thanks

Do the lighting conditions/shutter speed have any effect on the range of focus? Which custom preset sharpness setting are you using?

Switch Tre Gang

« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2019, 05:44:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do the lighting conditions/shutter speed have any effect on the range of focus? Which custom preset sharpness setting are you using?

To be honest not really, even at 180 shutter and f8 it was happening at the weekend. I'm normally using a bump or two up from the middle in terms of sharpness. Any ideas?

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2019, 05:55:12 AM »
Bump your sharpness all the way up and keep your exposure at f5.8 it will keep everything in focus better.
Welcome to slap message board

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

To be honest not really, even at 180 shutter and f8 it was happening at the weekend. I'm normally using a bump or two up from the middle in terms of sharpness. Any ideas?

180 shutter speed and f8 exposure seem to contradict one another. Are you shooting on a sunny day in a slow shutter speed or in the shade without enough exposure?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2019, 06:45:32 AM »
Bump your sharpness all the way up and keep your exposure at f5.8 it will keep everything in focus better.

The lower your aperture is, the greater the depth of field is.
So if you want to keep object focused easily you should try at F8 minimum.

I also have a focus problem on my VX, I think she took too many shocks...
Try to focus manually or get your autofocus repaired.