Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102588 times)

sphincterparty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Oh yeah now that makes sense, I did try looking up '3CCD lens' before reacting as to avoid sounding stupid, but that brand never showed up in my Google search.

For casual/local filming, I've been using a cheap 3CCD Mini-Dv cam with one of these Opteka clones: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103218.0 the distortion on 4:3 looks good enough to me. I don't know about the '3CCD lens' but just in case, those work quite well and don't break as easily as other knockoffs I've seen on lens hits. But yeah, long lens filming is always great practicing and you've got a MK1 on the way so...

If the fisheye footage is going to look drastically different from the 3ccd lens/mk1 I don't think it will be worth the investment. I do have enough money saved up where I could just get another mk1, but hopefully I'll have some good news from Century in a few days. Thanks pals.

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
sorry for oversized pic

4 bar glitch popped up on the tape through my capture cam. can i get rid of this (cleaning tape?) somehow or am i screwed for this clip/tape?

realriis

• Rep: 0
sorry for oversized pic

4 bar glitch popped up on the tape through my capture cam. can i get rid of this (cleaning tape?) somehow or am i screwed for this clip/tape?

spicy. only one way to find out, pop a cleaner in your cap cam. but also, you won't fuck up your camera checking this one tape for glitches one time. sometimes capture cams take a shit and refuse to read good tapes. just a symptom of age. could be a million things, including head alignment on the cap cam, in which case just get a new one. that said, if it doesnt play back on ANY camera but the original one you shot it with, the head alignment on the original is fucked. or you have really bad luck. either way, pop a cleaner in the cap cam and try it again, and if it still doesnt work try to play it back off the camera you shot it with. process of elimination or some shit. just keep in mind that if a cleaner tape is needed often, the camera might need a real head cleaning with solvent. best of luck to you.   :) :)

globe fusion

Expand Quote
sorry for oversized pic

[close]

spicy. only one way to find out, pop a cleaner in your cap cam. but also, you won't fuck up your camera checking this one tape for glitches one time. sometimes capture cams take a shit and refuse to read good tapes. just a symptom of age. could be a million things, including head alignment on the cap cam, in which case just get a new one. that said, if it doesnt play back on ANY camera but the original one you shot it with, the head alignment on the original is fucked. or you have really bad luck. either way, pop a cleaner in the cap cam and try it again, and if it still doesnt work try to play it back off the camera you shot it with. process of elimination or some shit. just keep in mind that if a cleaner tape is needed often, the camera might need a real head cleaning with solvent. best of luck to you.   :) :)

i'll have another go, ran a cleaning tape in my cap cam and the bars were still there. checked through my vx and the bars were there too.

popped in a brand new tape in the same vx, recorded 2 mins and then put it in the cap cam. no glitch whatsoever.

i think it's the tape itself. some dust mightve infiltrated it or something.

thanks

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
fellas, what render settings are you guys using? filming on an xm1 (eu variant of the gl1) but i figure the settings will be about the same. mp4, avi, mov? been so long since i fiddled with SD i've forgotten most of it. using sony vegas.

E

• Rep: 11
Expand Quote
I know this is technically the VX thread, I tried searching and couldn't find a general filming topic, point me in the right direction if there is one.

I just got a Panasonic HMC150 and I was hoping some of you may be willing to share your settings for the camera in outdoor daylight setting.

Hoping to dial it in as I film more but figured you guys might have some good tips/advice for me. Don't have the fisheye yet but wanna get the MK2 eventually.
[close]
i honestly don't even mess with the scene files any more, just leave them stock and take care of saturation and contrast in post. lately i've been preferring B-press and cine-like as a nice combo. if it's hella bright out and 1/2000 and f9.6 is still too overexposed, throw that ND filter on one stop. i prefer to white balance in the shade.

HD footage color corrects very nicely so it's safer to get a flatter, less saturated image. but by all means, try to nail the shot you want in-camera. for me, composition and camera movement (or the lack thereof) are more important and something you can't fix later.

Thank you! ND Filter is a good tip, I shot some test footage in bright daylight the other day and it was overexposed because I forgot about the ND Filter.

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 28
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sorry for oversized pic

[close]
I've found that I get more glitches towards the end of a tape. I usually switch tapes when there's 10-15 minutes left on there now. Also the cold, everything is glitchy when it gets under 50 degrees for me.

[close]

i'll have another go, ran a cleaning tape in my cap cam and the bars were still there. checked through my vx and the bars were there too.

popped in a brand new tape in the same vx, recorded 2 mins and then put it in the cap cam. no glitch whatsoever.

thanks

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sorry for oversized pic

[close]

[close]

thanks

My TRV900 gets bars sometimes but the cleaning tape has worked instantly the few times it's happened.

realriis

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
sorry for oversized pic

[close]
I've found that I get more glitches towards the end of a tape. I usually switch tapes when there's 10-15 minutes left on there now. Also the cold, everything is glitchy when it gets under 50 degrees for me.

yeah, my vx always fucks up in the cold too. it may have even been in this thread, but somebody once told me to just strap some handwarmers to the thing and let it rip. i have yet to try it, but i'd bet that would work.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

How much are you guys paying in the US for mini DV tapes ?
I used to buy 10 pack from Amazon for 25€, but now I see that it is the price of the 5 pack  :o
[close]

Sorry to hijack your question, but..

Are Mini DV tapes still in production? Or are we talking about a mega leftover of stock? It surely cannot be that much in demand to be making them still..
[close]

I'm not sure they're still in production but I have lucked out going to drug and grocery stores. Since people usually go to Best Buy or tech stores they sell out at those places. I've been to a few CVS and Walgreens and found them in their lil electronics area, funny enough usually some audio cassettes and blank VHS's will be there too. Also check Office Depot/Office Max if your city has them.

Unfortunately I think I got everyone at every spot (think even got a pack at a Kroger) and may have to pay quite a bit more from Amazon/eBay
[close]

I think it is mainly camera shops that sell them in the UK. The guy in Swansea that stocks sells them for a steep price unfortunately. But luckily eBay have a few deals from time to time.

prices on amazon keep jumping

globe fusion

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
sorry for oversized pic

[close]

[close]

yeah, my vx always fucks up in the cold too. it may have even been in this thread, but somebody once told me to just strap some handwarmers to the thing and let it rip. i have yet to try it, but i'd bet that would work.

tape was approx. 50 min empty, but i think some dust may have entered by leaving it on my table for a while.

we were filming in an indoor spot but I guess the travel/cold may have affected it.

handwarmers seem legitimate.

Agnarnomous

I've got a couple questions, if anyone has some quality input I would really appreciate it. I'm currently using a VX2100 and an opteka fisheye. I'm considering getting a GL2 for alternate angles since they're pretty cheap. Which would you use for long lens and which would you use for fisheye? Why? Also, does anyone here have experience with the "3ccd" fisheyes that vx1000 market sells? If so, would it be a worthwhile upgrade from my opteka? I know MK1's and VX 1000's are the way to go. But I'm saving my money to build an indoor skate spot in my backyard currently, so $500ish sounds a lot better than close to 2 grand. Thanks dudes!

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
I had a GL2 and a VX2100 and used both for fisheye and long lens shots.
The VX2100 really makes a difference at night, but other than that they are both great.

They do not have the same bayo mount so you might keep the one on which the fisheye is easier to find.

I have no idea how are those 3CCD fisheyes, my advice is to get a MK2 if you find one for cheap...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Agnarnomous

The VX2100 really makes a difference at night, but other than that they are both great.

They do not have the same bayo mount so you might keep the one on which the fisheye is easier to find.

I have no idea how are those 3CCD fisheyes, my advice is to get a MK2 if you find one for cheap...

Nice, thanks for the helpful info. I'm not very informed on the bayo mounts either, I thought a 53mm fisheye would fit both. Is that not the case?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice, thanks for the helpful info. I'm not very informed on the bayo mounts either, I thought a 53mm fisheye would fit both. Is that not the case?

The threads on a vx2100 is 58mm. Mk2 bayo kind of sucks as it's not that wide. Your best bet aside from an mk1 is a 58mm opteka with 2 spacers.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Sorry if this has been posted before, but are there any resources or guides for TRV900 settings? I looked around but didn't really find much.

Also, would y'all consider this a helpful resource? I realize the VX has different components but I assume a lot of the same principles about settings can be applied?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4f5qcMwsw

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
a lot of the same principles about settings can be applied
here's your answer. homie had a TRV900, i own a VX1000 and when
we filmed two angles, i.e. a fisheye and a longlense shot, we set up
the cams nearly identical to have the two shots to match each other.

Garth Marenghi

Sorry if this has been posted before, but are there any resources or guides for TRV900 settings? I looked around but didn't really find much.

Also, would y'all consider this a helpful resource? I realize the VX has different components but I assume a lot of the same principles about settings can be applied?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN4f5qcMwsw

F5.6 is indeed a sweet spot for exposure. Setting white balance "from concrete" usually yields better results than pure white as the concrete you're referencing can be closer to middle/18% grey.

Apart from that, the most useful tip on Beagle's video is tinkering with the custom presets/white balance shift. Unfortunately TRV-900 does not have said options.

E

Can anyone link me to a fisheye for sale for the Panasonic HMC150? I've been eyeing century optics but I'm not sure which one fits the HMC150. I think it's 72mm thread...thanks!

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Can anyone link me to a fisheye for sale for the Panasonic HMC150? I've been eyeing century optics but I'm not sure which one fits the HMC150. I think it's 72mm thread...thanks!

This would be the Xtreme that fits HMC150
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622504-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_FEWA_AG_0HD_FEWA_AG_Xtreme_Fisheye_Adapter.html

There are cheaper options that don't look as good, like these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673947-REG/Opteka_OPTSC72FE_72mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html
http://www.vx1000market.com/sony-dcrvx1000/3x-3ccd-fisheye-lens-72mm-thread-mount-hpx170hmc150hvx200

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Expand Quote
a lot of the same principles about settings can be applied
[close]
here's your answer. homie had a TRV900, i own a VX1000 and when
we filmed two angles, i.e. a fisheye and a longlense shot, we set up
the cams nearly identical to have the two shots to match each other.

This is actually why I got the TRV in the first place. I wanted it to be a back up cam for my homie who films VX, but he doesn't go out all that often so I'm probably gonna be on my own more often than not. Been practicing at the park a bit and it's coming out alright but I could surely be doing better.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622504-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_FEWA_AG_0HD_FEWA_AG_Xtreme_Fisheye_Adapter.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673947-REG/Opteka_OPTSC72FE_72mm_0_3X_HD_Ultra.html
http://www.vx1000market.com/sony-dcrvx1000/3x-3ccd-fisheye-lens-72mm-thread-mount-hpx170hmc150hvx200

ahhh the old xtreme... Wish my bank account would let me

E

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks! Hoping you can help me with one more question..

The Xtreme is out of my budget but I have been looking at a used MKII for $550. Realized the other day it is a 58mm thread and the HMC150 is 72mm. Bought a $6 step up ring on Amazon yesterday hoping it would make the 58mm MK11 work on the HMC150. Are there any drawbacks to this? Is there a MK11 that threads directly onto the HMC150 72mm thread? Thanks you for any info.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
I don't know if a 72mm thread exist, but I once modded a bayo-mount MK2 to fit a 58mm thread so you might be able to do the same for a 72mm thread.

If you remove the bayo ring, there is a 82mm thread and you can play with step down rings to get the size you want.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

The Xtreme is out of my budget but I have been looking at a used MKII for $550. Realized the other day it is a 58mm thread and the HMC150 is 72mm. Bought a $6 step up ring on Amazon yesterday hoping it would make the 58mm MK11 work on the HMC150. Are there any drawbacks to this? Is there a MK11 that threads directly onto the HMC150 72mm thread? Thanks you for any info.

I think there's a MK2 designed for Sony HDV cameras that is a 72mm thread which might be easier than step up/down rings from an OG MK2 or 58mm threaded one. It doesn't look as good as the Xtreme but there are ways to make it work. If you search HMC150 MK2 (or HPX170 MK2 since it'll look the same) on Youtube you can see some examples.

E

Expand Quote

[close]

I think there's a MK2 designed for Sony HDV cameras that is a 72mm thread which might be easier than step up/down rings from an OG MK2 or 58mm threaded one. It doesn't look as good as the Xtreme but there are ways to make it work. If you search HMC150 MK2 (or HPX170 MK2 since it'll look the same) on Youtube you can see some examples.

Thanks Pals,

Do you think this would be my best option for the HMC150 in my price range?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588915-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_FEAD_AG_Fisheye_Adapter_Lens_for.html

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks Pals,

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588915-REG/Century_Precision_Optics_0HD_FEAD_AG_Fisheye_Adapter_Lens_for.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxslE3N5vaY
Here's a comparison between the Xtreme and 0.45 Century. If that's enough distortion/field of view for your needs, go for it. Are you're going to get the Xtreme at some point in the future?

Personally, I'd try out an 72mm Opteka first because it's cheaper.  500+ usd is a lot for an intermediate lens.

Unless you have a chance to try the MKII 58mm + step-up ring setup before buying, don't do it. If you have to zoom in a little even with the lenses designed for the camera, I'd imagine the amount of vignetting would be even worse.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Y’all see the sd card recorder hack for old dv  cams doing the rounds?

E

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks Pals,

[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxslE3N5vaY
Here's a comparison between the Xtreme and 0.45 Century. If that's enough distortion/field of view for your needs, go for it. Are you're going to get the Xtreme at some point in the future?

Personally, I'd try out an 72mm Opteka first because it's cheaper.  500+ usd is a lot for an intermediate lens.

Unless you have a chance to try the MKII 58mm + step-up ring setup before buying, don't do it. If you have to zoom in a little even with the lenses designed for the camera, I'd imagine the amount of vignetting would be even worse.

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately I can't find the 72mm Opteka in stock anywhere right now. 

al_hodgson

• Rep: 9
    • OWL avatar image
Yo everyone.

I'm shooting with a tapeless VX setup and thought I'd post it on here to pose it as a possible option and to get people's thoughts. This is definitely something more suited to the wild west of SkatePerception (RIP), and I know it'll probably get pretty mixed responses on here but I just wanted to pose it as a possible option for sustaining VX footage in the years to come.

Like all VX users I'd had a ton of tapedeck/timecode issues with pretty much all of my VX's over the past couple years and spent tons on repairs, so last year I bit the bullet and bought one of those DN60 firewire capture devices. I was super hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of having the device mounted on either the top or the bottom of the camera as I thought it’d get in the way when filming low or using an on-camera light, but with the constant tapedeck issues I though it might be an idea worth revisiting if I could find a bracket mount to hold it on the side of the camera without getting in the way of any buttons.

After a few experiments this is what I'm now using:
A DN60 mounted on the side of the VX1000 with an L-bracket and a 30cm FireWire cable connecting the two (images attached in the insta post attached below).

The device captures to CF cards so you don’t need tapes (a 16GB CF card records 1hr 7mins footage), and takes x4 AA batteries (a freshly charged set last about 3-4hours in the DN60) so it doesn’t use or run down the VX batteries. In fact, the VX batteries actually last longer as the tape-deck isn’t being used at all.

You capture the footage from the device via firewire in the same way you would do off a cap cam, but using the capture controls in Premiere/Final Cut, etc, and the footage is exactly the same as if captured from tape, yet doesn’t glitch at all. Occasionally the device will lag while capturing and drop capture frames (which you can notice through a break in the audio), but rewinding and recapturing the clip will almost always fix it. The DN60 creates it's own timecode and records exactly what would be getting recorded onto tape and it never seems to drop any frames while recording VX input. The firewire is the perfect length at 30cm so it's super study and never comes out or either port. if you want to be 100% safe you can also record to tape and the DN60 at the same time, to save to card and tape, but i've come to realise there isn't really need to because the cards are so reliable. 

The ergonomics and weighting of the camera with the DN60 rig is pretty much the same as a normal VX, with the only major differences being it being the slightest bit heavier that the record button is on the DN60 device - so you have to keep an eye on that to ensure a timecode is being recorded (but a red light comes on to signal when it is). It's also little more difficult to reach the ND and exposure buttons mid line, but it's still doable.

I’ve been using this set up for the past month or so to film our next video and not had any problems as of yet. The only issue I had was using the DN60 with one of my VX's but that was because the VX had a faulty firewire port.
Here's an example of some offcut footage to show it's identical to tape:

https://youtu.be/Ft0KxFkhtlQ

I'm sure I’m not the first to do this, but I’ve not seen another VX with DN60 side mounted before yet, which to me seems like the most logical placement for it.
Like I said before, I know this will get mixed reviews from a lot of VX people, but honestly I think it could be a viable way to keep VX footage going, and it feels pretty good knowing the footage isn’t going to be glitched when you come to capture it.
It's a shame not to have the physical archive of tapes, but you can always back it up to drives/cloud storage.

I’ll be shooting our next video with this setup and I'll be posting updates about it all via this insta feed, so check it out if you're interested in any updates:

https://www.instagram.com/orwellian.world.landscape/

Hope that helps anyone considering this as an option. If anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up on here, or you can DM me on either of the Insta accounts. Cheers!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-cgBJtl92k/