Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102553 times)

edssexTOY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
I'm also looking for VX batteries that ship to Canada. I'm on my last NP-F730H, which holds charge for roughly an hour, it sucks. The only ebay knockoff I've found is 100USD, while an OG is listed at 200.....are you kidding me!?

I'll post a WTB ad for used batteries, but if you have any links/ideas that I might be missing, please hmu.

I just bought a "4200mAh New Battery For Sony DCR-VX1000 DCR-VX2000 Camcorder 7.2V" on eBay and it works great. Holds a long charge.

"The next time I see those fucking French dudes Vivien is dead!"

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
I always get my knock off batts from amazon and just remove the casing from it.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Anyone ever get his internal lens cleaned ?
It seem that mine got some kind of mold inside, causing my footages to look foggy when I use high aperture...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

non-playable character

• Rep: 8
Anyone ever get his internal lens cleaned ?
It seem that mine got some kind of mold inside, causing my footages to look foggy when I use high aperture...

I remember reading on skateperception back in the day that fixing lens mold is a bitch. you’re probably better off buying a new VX.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
I don't really have anything beneficial to add to the battery convo other than that you can find the decent 'knock off' batteries, however you may encounter the case of poor listings including 2 and 21 batteries.

I managed to buy a decent amount via eBay and other sites, even genuine Sony ones that hold a decent charge.

But there is a risk it for a biscuit factor where you may need to argue with the seller before hand that they don't fit all of the cameras or something.

Decent.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

hhhotpocket

• Rep: -2
ever since i updated to macOS Catalina I've had to use the brand new iMovie to capture. To find the files after you capture, you just have to go to Movies>Right Click on iMovie Library>Show Package Contents>Find the Project Name (I call mine "CAPTURE LOG")>Original Media. They'll be called some weird long numbers but they'll be full .mov quality unlike Quicktime Player. I am on a 2013 iMac with a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, but if you're on a newer mac you can use a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter, and then a thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter, then the firewire DV cable. If you use USB or Firewire 400 the quality won't be as good so stick with the highest bandwith cables.

I’m curious if the 400/800 Mbps really makes a difference in video quality . I capture on PC w/ 400 and now I’m interested if getting an 800 & adapter would improve it ? Or is this just another myth similar to the one where playing footage back right off the camera will damage it lol

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128

Honest question, what do you mean by removing the casing? like the plastic covering?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
ever since i updated to macOS Catalina I've had to use the brand new iMovie to capture. To find the files after you capture, you just have to go to Movies>Right Click on iMovie Library>Show Package Contents>Find the Project Name (I call mine "CAPTURE LOG")>Original Media. They'll be called some weird long numbers but they'll be full .mov quality unlike Quicktime Player. I am on a 2013 iMac with a Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, but if you're on a newer mac you can use a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter, and then a thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter, then the firewire DV cable. If you use USB or Firewire 400 the quality won't be as good so stick with the highest bandwith cables.
[close]

I’m curious if the 400/800 Mbps really makes a difference in video quality . I capture on PC w/ 400 and now I’m interested if getting an 800 & adapter would improve it ? Or is this just another myth similar to the one where playing footage back right off the camera will damage it lol

Well, playing back via the VX is really no different to recording but you don't really want to be adding extra wear on the heads by rewinding, fast forwarding and playing off it constantly on top of recording.

It's up to you, though. I personally always used capture cams because paying for a cheap mini DV cam is cheaper than head replacements.

I do have a friend that has a VX1 and has had it since 2011 that he uses to film + capture footy with, it is a tank I swear.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote
[close]

A 400 Mbps IEEE 1394 interface captures DV footage in full quality. No worries.

Avoiding excess use of the camera heads (edit searching, using the player function) might make a VX last longer. And sometimes you come across a tank that can handle anything, like @pedro_mayn said.

Rawse

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
I'm also looking for VX batteries that ship to Canada. I'm on my last NP-F730H, which holds charge for roughly an hour, it sucks. The only ebay knockoff I've found is 100USD, while an OG is listed at 200.....are you kidding me!?

I'll post a WTB ad for used batteries, but if you have any links/ideas that I might be missing, please hmu.
[close]

I just bought a "4200mAh New Battery For Sony DCR-VX1000 DCR-VX2000 Camcorder 7.2V" on eBay and it works great. Holds a long charge.

LIFESAVER. Got the last one. Can't believe that this listing existed on Ebay.....I tried everything. THANK YOU!!!

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well, playing back via the VX is really no different to recording but you don't really want to be adding extra wear on the heads by rewinding, fast forwarding and playing off it constantly on top of recording.

It's up to you, though. I personally always used capture cams because paying for a cheap mini DV cam is cheaper than head replacements.

I do have a friend that has a VX1 and has had it since 2011 that he uses to film + capture footy with, it is a tank I swear.

If you're not super worried about resolution, which is probably the case if you're into VX theres a lot of tapeless solutions you can use. I have an old HI8 that I film with and I run it into a analog media player and it goes straight to an SD card, I then uprez that to HD and do all my edits from there, its way easier than messing with tape and you can run it on a camera with bad heads.

pj chad

• Rep: 7
First time poster, long time lurker. Figured I'd piggyback off of Al Hodgsons post a few pages back in case there was still interest in other devices capable of turning a vx1000 tapeless. The device I am using is much more easily available to find and purchase. It is called the hvr-mrc1. It takes compactflash cards (up to 64GB ~= 240mins of dv footage). They typically go for $300, but I found one for $200 after a few weeks of looking through different selling apps. This device takes VX batteries, but I used the np-f570 as it's the highest power in the slimmer form factor. I'm sure some of you are offput by the price, but consider that mini DV tapes have been discontinued, so prices are only going to rise from here on out. Plus, you no longer have to worry about tape glitches, head cleaners, or timecode errors. I've had to send my VX over to Kerry at least 3 times over the years specifically for tape deck issues, so it's nice to no longer have to consider the tape deck as a point of failure.

This device also acts as a capture deck, so you can plug it into your computer via the firewire cable, open FCP, and select log and transfer to easily preview all your clips before selecting which to import. Before I bought this device, I would wait until a tape is completely used up before moving it to my capture cam to import. It's so nice to be able to capture clips as soon as you get home without having a single worry. You can also watch the footage from this device so long as your VX can go into VCR/playback mode.

Let me know if anyone has any questions that Al didn't already answer. I spent way too much time researching this, so I'm sure I can help you out one way or another.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcbHsfpdSn/

Here's some footage that was filmed with it, just in case there are doubts regarding the recording quality:
http://youtu.be/ZpQXgroM6vQ

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:18:14 PM by pj chad »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »
So, FINALLY found a working miniDV camera for capturing, and FINALLY found a corresponding cable that'll connect to the old MacBook I found. But now the Macbook doesn't seem to recoznize my camera even though it's in the playback mode. It'll recognize my TRV when I plug it in but I'm not trying to stress the heads for capturing. Anyone ever deal with this, or am I just gonna have to take the L and get a new capture cam?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2020, 09:55:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honest question, what do you mean by removing the casing? like the plastic covering?

yea like the plastic housing/casing on it. Because amazon only has these ones that are not like the OG vx batts. The OG ones have these groves on both the sides of them, and it slides into the back. So the ones on amazon don't have the groves so I just take the housing off.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2020, 09:57:30 PM »
So, FINALLY found a working miniDV camera for capturing, and FINALLY found a corresponding cable that'll connect to the old MacBook I found. But now the Macbook doesn't seem to recoznize my camera even though it's in the playback mode. It'll recognize my TRV when I plug it in but I'm not trying to stress the heads for capturing. Anyone ever deal with this, or am I just gonna have to take the L and get a new capture cam?

what are you capturing with? I recently had to go to my capture settings in premiere and change the capture device manually.   

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #495 on: September 02, 2020, 04:29:03 AM »
First time poster, long time lurker. Figured I'd piggyback off of Al Hodgsons post a few pages back in case there was still interest in other devices capable of turning a vx1000 tapeless. The device I am using is much more easily available to find and purchase. It is called the hvr-mrc1. It takes compactflash cards (up to 64GB ~= 240mins of dv footage). They typically go for $300, but I found one for $200 after a few weeks of looking through different selling apps. This device takes VX batteries, but I used the np-f570 as it's the highest power in the slimmer form factor. I'm sure some of you are offput by the price, but consider that mini DV tapes have been discontinued, so prices are only going to rise from here on out. Plus, you no longer have to worry about tape glitches, head cleaners, or timecode errors. I've had to send my VX over to Kerry at least 3 times over the years specifically for tape deck issues, so it's nice to no longer have to consider the tape deck as a point of failure.

This device also acts as a capture deck, so you can plug it into your computer via the firewire cable, open FCP, and select log and transfer to easily preview all your clips before selecting which to import. Before I bought this device, I would wait until a tape is completely used up before moving it to my capture cam to import. It's so nice to be able to capture clips as soon as you get home without having a single worry. You can also watch the footage from this device so long as your VX can go into VCR/playback mode.

Let me know if anyone has any questions that Al didn't already answer. I spent way too much time researching this, so I'm sure I can help you out one way or another.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcbHsfpdSn/

Here's some footage that was filmed with it, just in case there are doubts regarding the recording quality:
http://youtu.be/ZpQXgroM6vQ

Damn mayn, nice one for posting this.

Managed to find one in the UK with the cradle and a NP-570 to come with it, too. All in all for £305. Knowing how much I had to pay for tapes last time + how much jokers are charging for them (I found £60 for 5 the other day, really?) this should be worth it.

Plus I might do something similar with the bracket, that looks dope!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what are you capturing with? I recently had to go to my capture settings in premiere and change the capture device manually.   

Some Samsung MiniDV camera I found on eBay. (Samsung SCD107, to be precise.) It appears to work otherwise and the playback works on the LCD screen but my computer just doesn't respond to it. And like I said, when I plug in my actual camera and have iMovie open the capture pops up automatically so I know it's not my cable or anything.

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2020, 06:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Some Samsung MiniDV camera I found on eBay. (Samsung SCD107, to be precise.) It appears to work otherwise and the playback works on the LCD screen but my computer just doesn't respond to it. And like I said, when I plug in my actual camera and have iMovie open the capture pops up automatically so I know it's not my cable or anything.

Based on what you are saying, if your firewire cable/TRV/macbook all work, then it sounds specifically like an issue with your Samsung cap cam. Likely an issue with the DV port. Cap cams are cheap enough where you can likely get one for ~$50ish. Especially if you look on FB marketplace. This eBay search should yield some good results as well, just make sure the connector type includes 1X IEEE 1394 (FireWire/I.Link):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mini+dv+camcorder&_sacat=11724&_udhi=45&Brand=Canon%7CSony%7CSamsung&_dcat=11724&_sop=10

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2020, 07:31:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Based on what you are saying, if your firewire cable/TRV/macbook all work, then it sounds specifically like an issue with your Samsung cap cam. Likely an issue with the DV port. Cap cams are cheap enough where you can likely get one for ~$50ish. Especially if you look on FB marketplace. This eBay search should yield some good results as well, just make sure the connector type includes 1X IEEE 1394 (FireWire/I.Link):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mini+dv+camcorder&_sacat=11724&_udhi=45&Brand=Canon%7CSony%7CSamsung&_dcat=11724&_sop=10

Yeah, I sorta figured it's just the camera. I'm nervous to just shell out for another one, but I guess I'll just take the L on the one I already bought. Appreciate the info!

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2020, 03:17:53 AM »
Got the HVR MRC1 setup like PJ Chad posted. If anyone needs any advice or pointers feel free to hit me up about it.

I bought a bracket from Amazon and it works pretty good with the device. I can adjust the bracket, so it can be pushed out further out to make room for fitting the bigger NP batteries (albeit blocking the exposure reel) or just have it so it's a snug fit next to the tape deck.

For anyone curious it's this one - www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N2LJF2T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_D65vFbE3S1GT6

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #500 on: September 22, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
yo vx'ers, what's the situation in your area regarding mini dv tapes? i always used sony premium mini dv tapes and recently i have noticed a really sharp increase in price accompanied by decreasing availability. did not really follow the discussion on tapes, but have they already been discontinued, like the beloved mk I where i regrettably never pulled the trigger years ago? as for tapes, there are 5-packs on amazon that go for above 60$ per lot - that's crazy. a 5-pack used to be 12-15 in my area. it's probably time to stock up, eventhough i haven't used my vx1k yet in 2020. haha

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #501 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:23 AM »
Yes, I think the tapes got discontinued.
I was lucky to find some good deals on eBay, Facebook marketplaces, etc...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #502 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:53 AM »
Yep. They're either discontinued or according to one of the VX1 sellers on Insta I spoke with, they're on a lower production run. Lets be honest I doubt they'll still be making them for what is a really small market.

Just gotta keep searching and prepare to pay a high price. I've been spending a bit of coin just for a pack of 5...

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #503 on: September 22, 2020, 06:13:02 AM »
when me and some homies were fucking round filming a vid we just ordered them online but prices would fluctuate depending on seller, 3-5 packs 10-20 still. ran out of tape mid session, called up some old brick & mortar camera store thats been here since the 70s and they had a bunch in stock (probably been sat there for years), £8 per tape.

def worth stocking up and keeping an eye out for bulk lots.

killd0zer

• Rep: 0
Does anyone use those tadashi mk1 protectors? are they any good/worth it since mk1 prices are skyrocketing now?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Does anyone use those tadashi mk1 protectors? are they any good/worth it since mk1 prices are skyrocketing now?

I have never seen anyone use one before. But they are pretty sick. And yea considering the price of the mk1 now. Might as well.

sn00p

• Rep: 25

I have one. but I’ve only used it a handful of times. it created a weird glare that showed up in footage so I was a little put off by it.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

I have one. but I’ve only used it a handful of times. it created a weird glare that showed up in footage so I was a little put off by it.

This and one or two of the ones I’ve gotten have came pre-scratched.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

bataaard

• Rep: 40
I would like to make my mk1 screw mount. I took off the bayo ring but can't find a step up ring deep enough to screw on the fisheye.

Anybody has done this before and could help me finding the good ring ?

Thanks

doyle

• Rep: 210
I would like to make my mk1 screw mount. I took off the bayo ring but can't find a step up ring deep enough to screw on the fisheye.

Anybody has done this before and could help me finding the good ring ?

Thanks
I've done this with a MK2 a long time ago by getting a handful of step up rings/spacers to get through the depth of the screw under the bayo mount, something like 72mm-82mm step up, 82mm spacer, 82-72mm step down, then 72-52mm step down to fit on the camera.

The same type of thing should work on a MK1 but I'm almost positive that the thread size is slightly larger than the MK2's - I seem to remember someone a long time ago doing this with a 74mm step up ring. Hope it works out for you!