Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102596 times)

basedworldballout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #750 on: September 07, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
The 25th Anniversary release for the Century Optics MK1 is apparently happening soon. Seems the Instagram resellers have mainly helped fund the 300 copy run and are getting 200 or so copies to sell themselves. I guess just take it with a grain of salt but it looks fairly promising. Will just be a shame if they mark it up to stupid prices.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #751 on: September 08, 2021, 02:43:59 AM »
The 25th Anniversary release for the Century Optics MK1 is apparently happening soon. Seems the Instagram resellers have mainly helped fund the 300 copy run and are getting 200 or so copies to sell themselves. I guess just take it with a grain of salt but it looks fairly promising. Will just be a shame if they mark it up to stupid prices.

Oh I can't wait to see what prices these re-sellers will put on these...
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

suckmadeck

• Rep: 27
« Reply #752 on: September 08, 2021, 06:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #753 on: September 08, 2021, 07:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For the culture!

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
« Reply #754 on: September 08, 2021, 09:19:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

An ordinary lightly-scratched MK1 goes for upwards of $2k; I cant even imagine what these re-sellers are gonna sell the special 25th anniversary ones for

suckmadeck

« Reply #755 on: September 08, 2021, 04:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
An ordinary lightly-scratched MK1 goes for upwards of $2k; I cant even imagine what these re-sellers are gonna sell the special 25th anniversary ones for

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #756 on: September 09, 2021, 05:05:09 AM »
Prepare your wallets.

Pusssy Runners

• Rep: 0
« Reply #757 on: September 14, 2021, 05:31:39 AM »
Hi
I just bought a MK1 on ebay for my VX1000. When the mk1 finally arrive I realize that he was with a vx2000 bayo mount, did you know where I can find a new bayo ring for the vx1000? or if there another solution than the bayo mount?
thank you

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #758 on: September 17, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
Hi
I just bought a MK1 on ebay for my VX1000. When the mk1 finally arrive I realize that he was with a vx2000 bayo mount, did you know where I can find a new bayo ring for the vx1000? or if there another solution than the bayo mount?
thank you

https://www.deathlensfisheyesales.com/product-page/vx1000-bayo-ring-for-mk1
http://www.bayorings.com/index.php/vx1000-replica-bayoring.html

looks like the one from Germany is in stock.

out of stock...

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #759 on: September 27, 2021, 12:10:50 PM »
Has anyone ever had an issue with a VX1000 where manual focus doesn't work? Under normal circumstances, when you switch the focus down to manual, you typically see a hand with 'F' in it, and you can obviously move the focus ring and get it focused on the circle between the two triangles. However, on my VX1000, that manual hand with the 'F' is never displayed, and the focus ring does absolutely nothing. I know the focus switch isn't broken, because moving it down to infinity does produce a result.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Has anyone ever had an issue with a VX1000 where manual focus doesn't work? Under normal circumstances, when you switch the focus down to manual, you typically see a hand with 'F' in it, and you can obviously move the focus ring and get it focused on the circle between the two triangles. However, on my VX1000, that manual hand with the 'F' is never displayed, and the focus ring does absolutely nothing. I know the focus switch isn't broken, because moving it down to infinity does produce a result.

Don’t know shit about that but that might mean that there’s some sort of disconnect between the shit that would trigger the manual focus and the actual focus internally. As always, hit up Kerry.

Anybody know anything about the VX2000’s internal clock battery? I want to set the date/not have to redo white balance and all that shit each time I use it or switch batteries out. The VX1’s clock battery is super easy to switch out but I can’t find the vx2’s
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
[close]

Don’t know shit about that but that might mean that there’s some sort of disconnect between the shit that would trigger the manual focus and the actual focus internally. As always, hit up Kerry.

Anybody know anything about the VX2000’s internal clock battery? I want to set the date/not have to redo white balance and all that shit each time I use it or switch batteries out. The VX1’s clock battery is super easy to switch out but I can’t find the vx2’s

The cell battery? I know for me I have never had good luck after changing batteries and it reset all my white balance, f-stop and all that shit. On the vx2 I believe it's on the inside of where the LCD screen sits?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The cell battery? I know for me I have never had good luck after changing batteries and it reset all my white balance, f-stop and all that shit. On the vx2 I believe it's on the inside of where the LCD screen sits?

I think you’re right about it being under the LCD side panel. My vx2100 kept resetting everything between changing batteries years ago. I was looking into how to change the internal batt but one day it fixed itself so I never had to open the camera up.

TomCruz

• Rep: 2
I am sure it's the same for the Vx2100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HZHcUcMKeQ

TomCruz

virtual coin flip

I would start with replacing this ^.  If that doesn't do it could be a # of things.  Usually want to start with the most obvious. If it's something you want to try and fix your self I can sell you the part.  If not hit up Kerry and he will take care of you.   

shredslap

• Rep: -2
Hey I need some help...

Got a new VX1000 and haven't done much with it yet. Put about 3 tapes in it. 2 recorded well, the 3rd tape is half solid and half glitched audio (sounds like a static jackhammer throughout the clips).

When I try to test it out with a new tape it still has that static jackhammer sound over the footage. Pretty much bummed. I filmed 3 tapes and logged 2 on it as well. But considering it was in mint condition and hardly used, I figure that wouldn't be enough to completely destroy it.... Any tips here guys?

suckmadeck

Hey I need some help...

Got a new VX1000 and haven't done much with it yet. Put about 3 tapes in it. 2 recorded well, the 3rd tape is half solid and half glitched audio (sounds like a static jackhammer throughout the clips).

When I try to test it out with a new tape it still has that static jackhammer sound over the footage. Pretty much bummed. I filmed 3 tapes and logged 2 on it as well. But considering it was in mint condition and hardly used, I figure that wouldn't be enough to completely destroy it.... Any tips here guys?

Where did ya get it from?

shredslap

• Rep: -2
I got it from Japan. It worked perfectly for the first month or so. Yahoo Auctions to be exact.

Honestly, it's the freshed VX I've ever seen...

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
Hey I need some help...

Don’t have an answer for you but you should never log tapes straight off your VX, get a shitty cap cam.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

TomCruz

I got it from Japan. It worked perfectly for the first month or so. Yahoo Auctions to be exact.

Honestly, it's the freshed VX I've ever seen...

Just remember these cameras are 25 years old.  Just like a old car they can break down over time.  Just because it looks nice, it can still have problems.  Get it repaired and hopefully it last you a long time.   

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Hey I need some help...

If you captured off the vx itself. That's the problem... Gotta get a capture cam so you don't blow out the heads on the VX

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
Sorry for the potentially dumb question

Do MK1 vigs always sit slightly askew for the VX2000?

I know, I know, VX2000s are ass. This is a backup camera. One of my VX1s wouldn't playback a head cleaning tape when we got to the spot so I didn't even risk it.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

I know, I know, VX2000s are ass. This is a backup camera. One of my VX1s wouldn't playback a head cleaning tape when we got to the spot so I didn't even risk it.

You ain't ever going to get "perfect" vig.. I mean maybe if you get a fresh vx that was tucked away for years on years. But I think I remember reading about the 3CCD's and how they are aligned to make the perfect vig. Tell you what. After many many boards hitting my camera my shit isn't perfect.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image

every camera is slightly different because the sensor could be placed even a half of a millimeter off. if you want perfect vig just zoom and pan it over in post. also if you dont use manual audio yet, it helps a lot. you set it to manual in the menu, then press in the back scroll wheel and go down three levels. doing this from memory, but the 3 levels down i know is the golden setting.

used a little curves adjustment to take the reds out too. pretty close to vx1
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:48:34 PM by Jordan Wiens »
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
Thanks for the answers yall. Much appreciated, especially the manual mic level advice.

And yeah, fucking with the curves is a godsend. I just grabbed a frame to show the vig.

lydius

• Rep: 40
Expand Quote

[close]
every camera is slightly different because the sensor could be placed even a half of a millimeter off. if you want perfect vig just zoom and pan it over in post. also if you dont use manual audio yet, it helps a lot. you set it to manual in the menu, then press in the back scroll wheel and go down three levels. doing this from memory, but the 3 levels down i know is the golden setting.

used a little curves adjustment to take the reds out too. pretty close to vx1
Jordan, thanks for the knowledge. I really enjoyed the last VX video you put out, thought it was really well done. You have any tips or good resources for learning the basics of color correction?

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
yo thanks lydius :)

try and learn what curves do to the image, in terms of the luma and rgb. most of the time i just use subtle tweaks in lumetri color inside of premiere pro to do the trick, but most of it is done in-camera through white balance and the cp settings. you could download a video you like, bring it into premiere alongside your own clips and then try to match it. try and look for what its doing in the highlights, mids and shadows (mids are the hardest to see, but thinks greys and skintones). a warmer clip might have orangey shadows and yellow-green highlights. in terms of a correction, try matching two clips from different days together. if you cant get one to look like the other completely, find some sort of middle ground and correct both to that.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

upsidedownboardslide

• Rep: 0
« Reply #777 on: November 03, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »
Hey guys, my fellow filmer friend ran into a problem with his cap cam. He's able to play back tapes just fine on his vx, but on the cap cam it has grey bars, as you can see in the image.  I recommended he use a cleaning tape but he lost his sony one. I have a panasonic cleaning tape he could use, but would that create more problems? Is the tape lube for the panasonic cleaning tape different from sony premiums lube?

Thanks!

:)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #778 on: November 03, 2021, 06:15:52 PM »
Hey guys, my fellow filmer friend ran into a problem with his cap cam. He's able to play back tapes just fine on his vx, but on the cap cam it has grey bars, as you can see in the image.  I recommended he use a cleaning tape but he lost his sony one. I have a panasonic cleaning tape he could use, but would that create more problems? Is the tape lube for the panasonic cleaning tape different from sony premiums lube?

Thanks!

That’s definitely a jammed head on the cap cam. Ive heard not to switch brands for regular tapes, but never for cleaning tapes.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #779 on: November 05, 2021, 08:19:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

That’s definitely a jammed head on the cap cam. Ive heard not to switch brands for regular tapes, but never for cleaning tapes.

I think at one time I used several different types of cleaning head tapes.. But that was like 7 years ago.. Maybe try and order a sony one off ebay.