Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102587 times)

Olympus Mons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are you guys using tadashi filters on your mk1s nowadays or are they not very good/not worth it
[close]
Nope, the lens flare looks terrible. Probably should but mine's already slightly scratched so..
[close]

Agreed. Weird flare on the perimeter, and the plastic is hard to keep dust free. Sometimes it’s ok but if direct sunlight hits the lens it’s hard to get a clean image.
[close]

And it's so rare to be able to control the direction of sunlight. Not sure how great it would look during nighttime/with a video light, either.

http://youtu.be/zl4H5eplt0Q

Here's a little 3 min edit shot with the Tadashi filter on at all times. Half of it is at night with a light on the VX. Honestly, the filter is even less noticeable at night. You do get the perimeter flare in direct sunlight, but like someone mentioned, it's a small tradeoff for keeping your MK1 pristine.

Side note: I've gone through probably 30+ Tadashi filters, no exaggeration. Once they get too scratched, or I scuff them from impact, I swap out. I have noticed that using a real microfiber cloth or blowing air to remove dust particles keeps them scratch-free longer than using the little cloth pouch they ship with.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence!
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Side note: I've gone through probably 30+ Tadashi filters, no exaggeration. Once they get too scratched, or I scuff them from impact, I swap out. I have noticed that using a real microfiber cloth or blowing air to remove dust particles keeps them scratch-free longer than using the little cloth pouch they ship with.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence!

I swear the amount of ones I've had savage lens hits with and come away with nothing has made whatever I've paid for how many of those filters worth it.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Garth Marenghi

The small static dot in the center doesn't look to bad, neither the night footage but whatever is going on in the upper right corner on that last 5050 looks wild. All in all not as bad as I thought. Cheers for the reference!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Someone posting the 25th anniversary for 5k.
Looks like it got removed off eBay? No way it actually
Sold for 5k.
Who ever listed it and removed it hope they got the eBay fees.
Nerd.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
mk1’s are going up for sale again Monday 27th at noon.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
Another 30 second sellout

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Didn’t bother today but email says that there will be more going up soon.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
big surprise

killd0zer

• Rep: 0
Question I've been meaning to ask... let's say your regular footed filming someone goofy doing a line you would obviously just push normally and use your right hand to hold your vx... but what do you guys do about filming someone who is the same stance as you??? do you skate switch?? do you skate in your normal stance but hold the camera in your off hand(left if regular)?? or skate switch?? I've been wondering this for a long time. I suck at filming people in the same stance

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I personally am left-handed and regular, so I just hold the cam in my left (front) hand always. For follow filming that works for regular and goofy subjects. I can see how it may be tough if your dominant hand is your rear hand (right-handed/regular or left-handed/goofy).

In that case I think just trying to use both hands as often as possible to get comfortable with it would be the best option. OR ride switch/fakie/whatever so you can face them? I do that occasionally if the ground is smooth enough.

OR smash your camera and hire the James T Webb telescope to do all your filming from space.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
I always filmed with my right hand and skated in whatever stance put me facing whomever I was filming.

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
Right hand, goofy. When I film another goofy skater, I still skate goofy, I just open up my shoulders to face them some more. It's super easy when your filming hand is your leading hand. No need to try to skate switch.

killd0zer

Right hand, goofy. When I film another goofy skater, I still skate goofy, I just open up my shoulders to face them some more. It's super easy when your filming hand is your leading hand. No need to try to skate switch.

damn.. so basically people whose leading hand is their filming hand have it easy... I guess i need to get better at pushing/filming switch... suck at slowing myself down while switch. or maybe I should learn to film with my left hand for lines

seems like the most optimal ways to film would be regular with right hand and goofy with left hand though... allows u to be able to skate not too close to the skater because u can just extend ur arm out the most

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
Yeah, I think it's way easier to learn to hold a camera in either hand than it is to get fluid at filming lines switch.

Bigorse

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or had any advice?
My VX1000 is making a pretty hectic mechanical noise from the focus ring area
& looking through the viewfinder the frame is jumping around.
Basically looks like steady shot is on with the fisheye X1000
same in playback
Any ideas?

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
same in playback
Any ideas?

Can you try and operate the focus whilst looking into the lens? Is there anything moving around inside? I had an issue with my inner lens or w/e the actual name is of the piece, moving around when filming. The entire line had a hyperactive jolt every movement I made. I don't know if it could be the same, but sounds similar. You could also hear it moving when you moved the camera.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Bigorse

same in playback
Any ideas?
Expand Quote
same in playback
Any ideas?
[close]

Can you try and operate the focus whilst looking into the lens? Is there anything moving around inside? I had an issue with my inner lens or w/e the actual name is of the piece, moving around when filming. The entire line had a hyperactive jolt every movement I made. I don't know if it could be the same, but sounds similar. You could also hear it moving when you moved the camera.

Yeah it will focus fine but then its like the inner lens is moving around uncontrollably and its jolty and very loud even standing still, it is mechanical

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
same in playback
Any ideas?
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
same in playback
Any ideas?
[close]

[close]

Yeah it will focus fine but then its like the inner lens is moving around uncontrollably and its jolty and very loud even standing still, it is mechanical

Sounds like you might need to get it fixed, unless you can fix yourself. I ended up sending it off to someone in the UK and got it back sorted, really annoying issue to deal with as it took the camera out for a while.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
I always filmed with my right hand and skated in whatever stance put me facing whomever I was filming.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Anyone know how to tell if the heads are clean if I have cleaned those boys manually without popping shit into another camera? My playback on some of my VXs won’t work so I can’t use head cleaners and my tapeless rig is en route.

Better question after doing all that.. is there a way to force playback on VTR mode
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 08:20:00 PM by Allen. »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Anyone know how to tell if the heads are clean if I have cleaned those boys manually without popping shit into another camera? My playback on some of my VXs won’t work so I can’t use head cleaners and my tapeless rig is en route.

Better question after doing all that.. is there a way to force playback on VTR mode

Can you use the seek buttons beneath the handle at all? They work the same as the playback in terms of rewind, fast forward and play, right?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

force playback. Plug firewire in and use the play button on premier or what ever editing software you use

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you use the seek buttons beneath the handle at all? They work the same as the playback in terms of rewind, fast forward and play, right?

Those don’t work, I did try that.

Forcing playback is genius though! Thanks. Tapeless rig showing up in two weeks. I’ll do everything I can to keep filming til then.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

nickpaolucci

Has anyone ever broken off one of the three pegs used to mount lens w/ a bayo ring? is it safe to mount a mk1 with only two remaining?

bataaard

• Rep: 40
it never happened to me. but i wouldn't trust the fisheye holding on only 2 pegs.
it is possible to change the black part on the vx but it involves dismantling the whole camera, including the lens.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
just get two vx's and jbweld the fisheye onto one of them. ez
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

MK1spiracy

• Rep: 1
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #926 on: September 14, 2022, 08:34:14 AM »
Hey everyone, in light of the recent re-release of MK1s, and some comments speculating on who’s who in this whole operation, I thought I’d shed some light. I've bought VXs/tapes/lenses from almost all of the reseller pages. I'm gonna avoid using any names out of respect for their privacy, but if you connect the dots, it’s not hard at all to tell who is who.

And now, a (not so) short history of the IG camera pages and the re-release of the MK1.

In the beginning there was vx1000market.

VX1000market: This was one of the original VX reselling pages on IG. The owner started to act pretty shady and disappeared. I never actually made a purchase from this account because (as someone stated) the dude was a dork. Account is deleted and pretty sure this dude is long gone, for a couple of reasons.
Had a very unique (brash) style of communicating, like you were wasting his time by trying to buy a camera from him, and haven't seen that again from any other accounts once this one disappeared.
Used to post IG stories of pros and other relevant skate industry people who would buy cameras from him, don’t really see any other current camera resellers focusing only on pros.

There was also DLFS.

Deathlens_fisheye_sales: Another OG camera marketplace on IG. Was active in 2014. I first made a purchase in 2016. Good dude, very helpful and legit. Only ever had one problem in all the cameras and gear I ordered from him. Later on, this would be one of the two parties to work with Century to get the MK1 reproduced.

Then, enter the MK1 change.org petition: This petition was created in early 2020 by A Happy Medium. You can see it right on the website itself. No secret there. https://www.change.org/p/century-optics-save-the-century-optics-mk1-fisheye.

This petition was updated on April 20, 2022 saying that it succeeded (with only about 75% of its target signatures) and that Century would make a final run of the MK1. The post directs readers to follow @buy_mk1 and signs off with “#AHAPPYMEDIUMSKATEBOARDING.”

When this was posted, you’d probably never heard of the buy_mk1 IG account. That’s because it was only created a week earlier. In the timeline of things, it naturally seemed like it was the extension of the petition.

Buy_mk1: Makes its first IG post on April 13, 2022. I’ll let you infer for yourself if it’s associated with the change.org petition, and thus AHM.

Then we have another IG account, vx_fisheye_sales, who has kept a relatively low profile through all of this. Someone in this thread mentioned the account might be run by a scalper who beat us all to the punch to buy this release of MK1s and resell them. Let’s take a look.

VX_fisheye_sales: A relatively new camera marketplace on IG (first post in Sept 2020). I made my first purchase around then. Again, everything was as expected. Gear arrived with no problems. No complaints there. And having made purchases from both accounts, I can confirm the account is run by a different person than DLFS. In May 2022, this page makes a post promoting buy_mk1 and the reissued MK1 from century. It’s literally a screenshot of the buy_mk1 page. Seems weird to direct buyers to buy_mk1 if vx_fisheye_sales’ goal is to score all the MK1s for themselves and resell them at a premium.

Okay, one more tidbit, in case it isn’t adding up yet. You may know of the sonyvx1000 IG page. Its profile picture is nearly identical to the vx_fisheye_sales profile picture, and it only has one saved story: it’s a link to purchase A Happy Medium DVDs.

You can draw all your own conclusions. The vx_fisheye_sales page has never directly said that it’s affiliated with buy_mk1. Buy_mk1 never directly said it’s associated with AHM or the change.org petition.

I think that deathlens_fisheye_sales and buy_mk1 worked together to front the costs of getting Century to reproduce these lenses, cut a deal where they each make some profit off the top, and each is going to sell 150 lenses through their respective websites.

TL;DR:
My personal conclusion is that VX_fisheye_sales = buy_mk1, which is the same person who started the change.org petition. Deathlens_fisheye_sales is another dude who got cut in on the deal to help front the production costs.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #927 on: September 16, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

TL;DR:
My personal conclusion is that VX_fisheye_sales = buy_mk1, which is the same person who started the change.org petition. Deathlens_fisheye_sales is another dude who got cut in on the deal to help front the production costs.

I agree with this; I've contacted both during this MkI re-release, gotten the same info. Also they both host the sales at the same time whenever there's a restock. buy_mk1 stated they were "different entities" but that likely means they just partnered up on the whole thing, and are likely working together somewhat because there's only 300 lenses, so they must coordinate during the drops. Maybe they each just have a portion of the lenses and coordinate the drop times. Maybe the sales on both sites use the same backend processing even.

southphillytapwater

« Reply #928 on: September 16, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
I'm almost positive DLFS runs buy_mk1. I talked to him on the phone once and asked him about the reissue mk1's and he said he paid for them all upfront over a year before they were released.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #929 on: September 17, 2022, 10:41:03 AM »
Nice little article. VXMarket is a fucking dork, thanks for sheading some more light on that idiot.