Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328589 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2160 on: June 29, 2020, 07:21:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone ride the reynolds setup (8.5 deck 8.0 trucks)?
what was the experience like? contemplating trying it out for shits and giggles unless of course i end up liking it
[close]
Did it with 139’s for a couple of years and it never bothered me, I never liked wide trucks and my board seemed to flip better. You get used to it after an hour.

Keep in mind this was 10 or so years ago and 8.25 trucks didn’t really exist then, I’d probably use those if I went back to 8.5 (which I don’t plan on doing any time soon)
[close]

I had an 8.4 with 139s with conical fulls for a few weeks. I had to add rings. It was a problem with missing the lock front side tricks. Hitting the wax and slipping out.

Backside tricks usually are never an issue on ledges.

What you got for wheels OP?
conical fulls. i had low expectations for grind performance
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2161 on: June 29, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't Reynolds' size down to an 8.125?
[close]

Yes, he has been skating the C47 shape, which is apparently a reissue of an old 8.125 baker shape from like 2003 or something.
[close]

Is it just their 8.125? Or ....just get lucky? Baker boards have always been great for me. I didn’t ride them as much, either because I’m Reynolds age, and just felt uncomfortable, at times, with how loud they were, or they weren’t available at the shops I went to. Always been a huge fan of their og shapes, pointy/flat.
8.125 is a really functional size for me.

I'm pretty sure they're planning on putting it into general production, but thats just based on Reynolds IG posts and comments and stuff. I think their standard shapes are like B16, B19, etc. Given the era I am guessing this is also flat and pointy.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2162 on: June 29, 2020, 08:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't Reynolds' size down to an 8.125?
[close]

Yes, he has been skating the C47 shape, which is apparently a reissue of an old 8.125 baker shape from like 2003 or something.
[close]

Is it just their 8.125? Or ....just get lucky? Baker boards have always been great for me. I didn’t ride them as much, either because I’m Reynolds age, and just felt uncomfortable, at times, with how loud they were, or they weren’t available at the shops I went to. Always been a huge fan of their og shapes, pointy/flat.
8.125 is a really functional size for me.
[close]

I'm pretty sure they're planning on putting it into general production, but thats just based on Reynolds IG posts and comments and stuff. I think their standard shapes are like B16, B19, etc. Given the era I am guessing this is also flat and pointy.

Thanks! I now remember seeing that pic from Reynolds. Around the time we all started talking about the b16, it seemed like baker started making less. I don’t think that was intentional, board shapes had trended into a different direction, just unfortunate. Baker also doesn’t list b16 on anything that I remember, so I’d just look for the boards that were 8.456789 width and 31.85. Hopefully this shape code (c47) will be easy to spot/obtain.
8.125, with 139s, is obviously the same ratio as 7.75 and 5.0/129s. I like it

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2163 on: June 29, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
Yeah, I'd be into trying one out. AR and I are the same shoe size so it is emboldening me to want to skate an 8.125 again.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2164 on: June 29, 2020, 09:05:09 AM »
I skate 99% slow flatground, so maybe I don’t need a mega ramp board. Although truthfully I’m not so sure there is too much of an effect, in any direction, with whatever I ride. I wear size 10, which looks pretty crazy on boards less than 8, and that is the most average shoe size, definitely not big.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2165 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
what was the experience like? contemplating trying it out for shits and giggles unless of course i end up liking it
Did it some years ago, worked super good for me but knowing that the trucks weren't matching the board bothered the hell out of me. Also it looked funny.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2166 on: June 29, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did it some years ago, worked super good for me but knowing that the trucks weren't matching the board bothered the hell out of me. Also it looked funny.
I'm sure this is personal preference and you'll most likely get used to anything, but I've tried Ace 8.38 trucks on an 8.5 and could definitely tell the difference from riding Indy 8.5's on an 8.5 deck.
Same with Riding Indy 8.5's on a 8.25 deck.
It definitely changes how you pinch or lock into grinds and your general aim getting into tricks. I kept locking into noseslides when trying crooks on the big deck/small trucks combo.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #2167 on: June 29, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I'm sure this is personal preference and you'll most likely get used to anything, but I've tried Ace 8.38 trucks on an 8.5 and could definitely tell the difference from riding Indy 8.5's on an 8.5 deck.
It definitely changes how you pinch or lock into grinds and your general aim getting into tricks. I kept locking into noseslides when trying crooks on the big deck/small trucks combo.
I had a spare set up for a while that was 8.5 on 7.63 trucks and it worked just fine for me.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2168 on: June 29, 2020, 12:02:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
I had a spare set up for a while that was 8.5 on 7.63 trucks and it worked just fine for me.

And using your hands instead of a fork could work, using your sock instead of toilet paper, also could work.....maybe not ideal.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2169 on: June 29, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
as far as overhang blah blah, 8.25” on 8” trucks worked really well for me.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #2170 on: June 29, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
My dumbass used to think 5.2 trucks were 8.25 so i did ride 8.38-8.5 on 5.2 and didnt notice anything before my friends started clowning me, flip tricks were on point tho.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2171 on: June 29, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
Narrower trucks turn faster, and wheelbite less.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2172 on: June 29, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

And using your hands instead of a fork could work, using your sock instead of toilet paper, also could work.....maybe not ideal.

nail on the head ^

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2173 on: June 29, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »
need new wheels...thinking of switching from OJ to Spitfire and also going from conical shape to Spitfire Classics 53mm...been riding 101 in OJ's...are spitfire 101's comparable in hardness?

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2174 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:51 PM »
Trying to buy the most woke BLM setup I can find? What should I get?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2175 on: June 30, 2020, 12:40:39 AM »
One suggestion from me is:
-Maxallure Karl Watson, Lil Dre board or any other board from them for that matter.
-Thrasherboyz Grip
-Hardies hardware
-Venture Kader or Thunder Ishod trucks
Not sure about wheels or  bearings though.

Super Champion Fun Zone

sadnocomply

• Rep: 135
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2176 on: June 30, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
-Maxallure Karl Watson, Lil Dre board or any other board from them for that matter.
-Thrasherboyz Grip
-Hardies hardware
spitfire kader 54mm radials, logo is sick too. cops head is cut off with kaders name as his blood. Set some up yesterday

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #2177 on: June 30, 2020, 03:24:24 AM »
I've always liked the bigger board vs smaller trucks.. It's the magic carpet ride!

And now what I am contemplating is buying new trucks.

I just finished grinding down to the axel of my 8" Indies and want to switch things up a bit. It takes a long time to go trough them and trends have changed. First I was planning on getting Aces 33's maybe? I've heard they are similar to the indies but I don't know. Now everybody is going for Venture which I have never had. When I was younger it's Indy or thunder but I want something else.

I mainly skate ledges, manuels and like to lines. I also need a solid turning like indies have. So which would you recommend Venture or Ace? Or are there other options check out, Film truck, Krux, Indy?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2178 on: June 30, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
I've always liked the bigger board vs smaller trucks.. It's the magic carpet ride!

I just finished grinding down to the axel of my 8" Indies and want to switch things up a bit. It takes a long time to go trough them and trends have changed. First I was planning on getting Aces 33's maybe? I've heard they are similar to the indies but I don't know. Now everybody is going for Venture which I have never had. When I was younger it's Indy or thunder but I want something else.

I mainly skate ledges, manuels and like to lines. I also need a solid turning like indies have. So which would you recommend Venture or Ace? Or are there other options check out, Film truck, Krux, Indy?

Always an advocate for Ventures, great pinch especially on 5.2 Lo. I don't think you will ever get the same turn as Indys on the stock bushing, but some of the guys on the Venture 2020 thread have swapped out their bushings for better results.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2179 on: June 30, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Always an advocate for Ventures, great pinch especially on 5.2 Lo. I don't think you will ever get the same turn as Indys on the stock bushing, but some of the guys on the Venture 2020 thread have swapped out their bushings for better results.

Indys do it all, pretty well. Real good all around.

I prefer venture for some things, and ace for others, over indy, but both are more extreme in their attributes, and as such possibly more limiting.

Didn’t you say you had a great set up with 33s? They look perfect, turn is the best (once you get used to it).

I’m on ventures pretty exclusively, and never wander that far from them.

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2180 on: June 30, 2020, 08:10:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
-Thrasherboyz Grip
-Hardies hardware

Bearings could be Rollers California. Heard they’re nice.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2181 on: June 30, 2020, 08:40:24 AM »
Thinking about getting the Vans Style 36 Pro. A little hesitant about how far down the lacing goes. Anyone try them?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #2182 on: June 30, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
Anyone know if the tail tapers on the 8.5 chocolate skidul shape?

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #2183 on: June 30, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Thinking about getting the Vans Style 36 Pro. A little hesitant about how far down the lacing goes. Anyone try them?

I have a pair in that blue/black colorway waiting to be skated. Just from walking around, they are noticeably shorter in the toe area. My usual 10.5 is perfect for me as I’m probably like a 10.38 if that were to exist. Prob wanna stick with your normal Vans size all in all. The construction quality seems better than usual. I think they’ll skate exactly like the Old Skool, but last longer bc they’re all suede.

...I will say that they don’t look as rad on as they did on Tactics (sorry, local shop). I think the black soles just throw me off. My girlfriend did compliment me on them, so there’s that. Just gotta make that mental adjustment.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2184 on: June 30, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a pair in that blue/black colorway waiting to be skated. Just from walking around, they are noticeably shorter in the toe area. My usual 10.5 is perfect for me as I’m probably like a 10.38 if that were to exist. Prob wanna stick with your normal Vans size all in all. The construction quality seems better than usual. I think they’ll skate exactly like the Old Skool, but last longer bc they’re all suede.

...I will say that they don’t look as rad on as they did on Tactics (sorry, local shop). I think the black soles just throw me off. My girlfriend did compliment me on them, so there’s that. Just gotta make that mental adjustment.
Thanks for the thorough review. I've deemed it necessary to evaluate them in-person prior to purchase.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2185 on: June 30, 2020, 12:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks for the thorough review. I've deemed it necessary to evaluate them in-person prior to purchase.
Is it a different toe shape than the old skool pro or just the start of the tongue/construction/eyelet panel/vamp making it appear shorter (stubbier)?

babywantsbluevelvet

« Reply #2186 on: June 30, 2020, 02:03:24 PM »
^^No worries!

^I Tossed my beat up Old Skools, so I can’t compare them side by side, but they for sure feel like a different shape. They narrow further towards the very end of the shoe and def feel slightly shorter and stubbier. Not enough to order in a different size in my case, but it’s something to consider. I actually like the fit on these more. The toe box area feels a lot like the Vans Sport if you’ve ever worn those.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #2187 on: July 01, 2020, 03:20:46 AM »
Thinking about getting a Slave deck but I've seen some conflicting sizes listed.

Anyone have an 8.25 radio silence or shutdown deck that can confirm the length for me? I've seen it listed as 31.5, 31.75, and 32 various places.

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #2188 on: July 01, 2020, 04:54:21 AM »
need new wheels...thinking of switching from OJ to Spitfire and also going from conical shape to Spitfire Classics 53mm...been riding 101 in OJ's...are spitfire 101's comparable in hardness?

IME, OJ elite 101 feels harder and is somehow gripper than F4 101 in a similar shape. What surfaces are you riding on? On asphalt the ojs hold your grip if you're going fast and trying to carve into an obstacle, where the F4s will start to break traction. However, the ojs definitely feel more jarring / vibration on the feet.

In a park, the F4s will give you a more consistent slide on the range of concrete finishes (sandpaper to smooth) but the ojs are a bit faster / grippier (again IMO, others might have other experiences).

I switched from riding conical oj elite 101 to conical F4 99a, which gives me more grip when I need it but still slides great. 101 F4s were just too slippery for me and 101 oj elite was too rough on the feet when on anything other than skatepark ground.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:56:21 AM by NG »

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2189 on: July 01, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IME, OJ elite 101 feels harder and is somehow gripper than F4 101 in a similar shape. What surfaces are you riding on? On asphalt the ojs hold your grip if you're going fast and trying to carve into an obstacle, where the F4s will start to break traction. However, the ojs definitely feel more jarring / vibration on the feet.

In a park, the F4s will give you a more consistent slide on the range of concrete finishes (sandpaper to smooth) but the ojs are a bit faster / grippier (again IMO, others might have other experiences).

I switched from riding conical oj elite 101 to conical F4 99a, which gives me more grip when I need it but still slides great. 101 F4s were just too slippery for me and 101 oj elite was too rough on the feet when on anything other than skatepark ground.

Mate, this is perfect thanks so much!

I ride a combination of street spots and park...so need something that does both. I don't really do that many slides so I'm not fussed by that, but i do want stability, especially since i want to go to a slimmer wheel too...so i think i might go for the 99a F4 Classics then.