Author Topic: Where the fuck is Ryan Smith  (Read 21149 times)

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Where the fuck is Ryan Smith
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »
Carrying a knife, burgling houses- shit got real
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »
Ryan Smith stayed with a friend of mine last summer while kinda driving around a couch surfing. A buddy of mine was talking skate with him and he was pretty sad and bitter about everything. He said he hated skateboarding and didn't want to talk about any of it. He also seemed like he was struggling with some alcohol issues. Super sad to see because he was one of my all time favourites growing up in Canada.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Ryan Smith stayed with a friend of mine last summer while kinda driving around a couch surfing. A buddy of mine was talking skate with him and he was pretty sad and bitter about everything. He said he hated skateboarding and didn't want to talk about any of it. He also seemed like he was struggling with some alcohol issues. Super sad to see because he was one of my all time favourites growing up in Canada.

Fuck, if that's true it's a real bummer. Poor guy. I guess in his era there wasn't the same level of looking after the riders after their skate career. It's not perfect nowadays either, but it's better.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
Quote from: Bumpovertrash  link=topic=93606.msg2581850#msg2581850 date=1481326367
God damn forgot how heavy that dying to live part is

Same here. I always loved that slightly angled switch flip down the four block. Hope he's doing better now than the comment above suggests.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:16:37 AM by RoaryMcTwang »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
ryan smith rules/ruled.
dope dc-/zero-parts.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fuck, if that's true it's a real bummer. Poor guy. I guess in his era there wasn't the same level of looking after the riders after their skate career. It's not perfect nowadays either, but it's better.

I don't mean to be a dick but how is it any different today? Your on your own, once you're done you're done. It's up to you to save or invest your money or come up with connections to get a job after skating. For most pros, I think they make enough to get by, not to live happily ever after with. Companies certainly have no retirement care-packages for their ex-employees.

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 03:38:12 AM »
I don't think it has changed that much but there have been enough heavily publicized, sad stories in the last few years that any kid with half a brain should know that they are probably going to have to do something to earn money after skating. Think in the early 2000 there was enough money flying around that people could kid themselves on they were retiring off skating.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
I remember reading an interview in TSM from a little while after the accident, he said he was back to 100% and skating again and shit but I guess that was in. Skate nerd posted him on ig a few months back and I asked what he's doing now, someone said he's still killing the local park all the time so at least he's still skating.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 06:04:10 AM »
Damn, I haven't watched his Dying To Live part in a really long time.
So good.
The filming on the 2nd angle of that backside 360 down the carlsbad set is really fucking great.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2020, 12:32:13 AM »
Just happened to come across his new IG page after just randomly searching for Alex Chalmers. They're both starting a new brand together called "Pylon". Smith is posting new clips here and there but he's still skating. Should be tight. Still looking good on the board.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2020, 12:50:57 AM »
Buy my board so I don't have to work/don't end up dead/in jail/hospital
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2020, 02:44:46 AM »

It's better than a gofundme

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2020, 02:55:46 AM »

Honestly seems like the majority of pro skaters so idk if that's a diss or just stating the obvious.

RhinestoneCowboy

• Rep: -19
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2020, 03:31:18 AM »
Jamie Thomas tried to have an intervention for him when he was skating for Mystery. He turned up with beers and then realized what was going on so he jumped out the window and rode off on a motorbike.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2020, 03:34:56 AM »
He looks like somebody beat his ass really recently

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2020, 04:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Honestly seems like the majority of pro skaters so idk if that's a diss or just stating the obvious.

No I wasn't trying to diss at all. Just thought it was funny he spells it out so literally
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2020, 04:57:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Pretty sure he lives in the okanagan and yah....motorcycle accident and then some messed him up a bit.....
[close]
yeah last i heard he was living in kelowna taking care of a sick family member. i'm guessing he had been doing a lot of drinking based on a photo i saw of him passed out at an indoor skatepark last winter.

Victim of the Kelowna virus. There are a bunch of places in BC that breed methheads
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2020, 06:35:55 AM »
Jamie Thomas tried to have an intervention for him when he was skating for Mystery. He turned up with beers and then realized what was going on so he jumped out the window and rode off on a motorbike.

that would be really badass if true

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2020, 07:24:48 AM »
How long man can you do this shit for?  Cracked out for almost 15 Years.  Wow.  Hes a decent dude tho.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
He though he was dying to live but really just drew new blood.

Anyone else think JT names his videos as if they’re Rambo sequels?

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2020, 08:28:46 AM »
'Dying to Live' was mentioned above so I went back to rewatch his part and ended up just watching the whole thing.

Hope this makes everyone else's day like it made mine.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »
Damn, I haven't watched his Dying To Live part in a really long time.
So good.
The filming on the 2nd angle of that backside 360 down the carlsbad set is really fucking great.

Was a great part, I always thought it was a shame he dropped off because he had some really solid video parts back in the day...he's looking rough nowadays

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »
Ryan was the shit. Recently posted a kf noseslide in a bowl or some shit. Was nice to see it's still in him

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
'Dying to Live' was mentioned above so I went back to rewatch his part and ended up just watching the whole thing.

Possibly the best friends section of any video*, rivalling Virtual Reality.

Not really feeling the name Pylon, but whatever. It's great to see him skating again.

*Edit - unfortunately, the song's muted. This was my introduction to Neil Young.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »

to this day i will never understand why a halfcab boardslide is adrian lopez's ender.

maybe its karma that he still has a circa model out to justify how bad he go screwed over with the editing in this video.

also idk what his input was but imagine that part with a song that fit the vibe of that video more. no cultural disrespect but if it had been some hard rock song on par with the rest of it who knows how much more popular he could have been.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
He though he was dying to live but really just drew new blood.

Anyone else think JT names his videos as if they’re Rambo sequels?
That could be true but it’s hard to not end up with misled youth while seeking the thrill of it all. I just hope RAMBO isn’t die’in  to live.  No cash value

waffle

• Rep: 127
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2020, 10:53:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

to this day i will never understand why a halfcab boardslide is adrian lopez's ender.

maybe its karma that he still has a circa model out to justify how bad he go screwed over with the editing in this video.

also idk what his input was but imagine that part with a song that fit the vibe of that video more. no cultural disrespect but if it had been some hard rock song on par with the rest of it who knows how much more popular he could have been.

Bro what if you miss that trick on a big rail you are dead. Especially if you’re as short as Adrian.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2020, 01:50:47 AM »
Is it "pile-on", or "pill-on"?

I don't know, but he has some of my favorite kickflips eva!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2020, 03:26:37 AM »
It never ends well to go to the split off brand.

Glurmpz

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2020, 12:09:04 AM »
Pylon is pressed by Olive, I believe. Haven't seen one in person yet to give any feedback.

The RDS part is arguably gnarlier than the rest. The Hydro Hubba tricks alone are unthinkable. I bet lots of that would have gone to Jamie if it was filmed better on a VX1000 - though I remember RDS hyping up that video forever so maybe he planned to save most of it for RDS anyway.

I don't really know Ryan but many of the people I know do know him, and yeah he's had a real rough go unfortunately. Hope the future is a bit brighter for him.

There's some good people involved with Pylon. Should be interesting to see how it develops.

Are they selling anything yet?