Author Topic: Skate insights/secrets  (Read 43474 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
Re: Skate insights/secrets
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
if yer out skating and an axle nut goes kaput and you cant get it on/nobody has a spare/etc you can take a few pull tabs from a soda/beer/etc can and mangle it around the axle so you can atleast skate for the rest of the session. i have a friend who swears by putting stickers under baseplates because it """prevents pressure cracks""" - not sure how true that is apparently its from some koston setup video. tiny wax/candle shavings on bushings/in pivot cups stop the squeaking (i mean tiny amounts of wax), if you wanna loosen em up you can boil bushings too. always check your mounting bolts periodically so you dont fuck up the baseplates, if your mounting bolts on top get threaded (phillips/allen whatever) try folding some paper and putting it over the bolt then sticking the allen key in - just like prom night theres alot of blind poking until you find the hole but eventually it fits nice and tight. everytime you get a new deck (every 2/3 months for me) stick all your bearings in a bottle, fill it with citrus based cleaner thats covering the bearings and shake it for a bit, let it settle, shake again then drain, clean them off with a baby wipe or some shit, dry and lube em with speed cream or whatever you wanna use. look after your board and your board will probably make you eat shit as they are unsentinent wooden toys with no regard for your safety but it's nice to maintain your board.

Fart Sounds

• Rep: 6
  • (V)(;,,;)(V)
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:38 AM »
keep a small amount of toilet paper with you at all times

^^^ crucial life advice

less crucial: i struggled a long time with wallride nollies -- then i was told to pretend you're trying to like, kinda slappy noseslide up the wall. keep your weight where you would to a regular wallride, but put your front foot up on the nose, when you hit the wall, suck your legs up and the wall does all the hard work for you.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:54 AM »
If a skater feels more comfortable spinning Frontside regular, then often they'll feel more comfortable going Backside switch and vice versa, so I think of it as either being more comfortable going clockwise or counter-clockwise.

A good push is probably the most important "trick" that people rarely "practice".  Spend time pushing.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
always shit before a session, it makes you feel lighter.
for back 180 no complys, hang your front toes off the board a bit, makes getting that leg out of the way happen a lot quicker
more slappy and/ or backside powerslide tips please!

Do like frontside carve, then backside carve like slalom....then quick frontside carve then when you do your backside...push down hard on your toes and whip your hips.....the quick frontside carve allows you to get your rhythm and counter into the bs.....

The other thing too is lean back super far.....what's gonna happen?  You're just gonna slide out... hipper worse case scenario...you can even put your back hand down....go to a polished concrete parking garage.....

My tip is that if you've found skateboarding.....you've won....

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
Animal Chin hasn't seen anybody in 30 years...

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »
More pushes and less wax, gotta hear the truck on the ledge. 

For grinds, especially front truck stuff you want to jump into the grind, not onto it.  A lot of people pop up and come down on the ledge, what you want is to jump forward into the grind. 

Wallies you keep your mass over your front foot but keep your weight back then just think of it like your front wheels got invited to the party but your back wheels are crashing it. 

If you want to 180 out of nosegrinds hit the ledge at a little more of an angle and when you pop onto the ledge you want your shoulders already turning for the 180.  Oh and make sure you actually grind a bit of ledge, none of that bonk 180 lame shit.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
Cold stretching increases your chances of getting hurt
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
did jerry hsu say anything about masturbating during the sk8 session

backinmyday

• Rep: 2
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
This is a true secret I need answered. Is it ok to put a legit board company sticker on a wood grain mini logo that has the little logo in the corner? I did it already out of boredom, didn't cover the mini logo area, but now I feel gross.

backinmyday

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Too late. I yanked it off and put it on my document thing for my office job. Pretty sure I'm gonna get yelled at for having a Baker sticker on my government job shit though.

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Too late. I yanked it off and put it on my document thing for my office job. Pretty sure I'm gonna get yelled at for having a Baker sticker on my government job shit though.

you dont even skate homeboy dont worry about it

backinmyday

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you dont even skate homeboy dont worry about it
You're right. Good looks.

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
I think about this alot -- like how some people are really comfortable popping and spinning  either clockwise or counter clock wise. I can float switch ollies more naturally than regular, and regular backside is way more comfortable than frontside. My switch stance front foot can lead and guide the board easier than regular. Anyone know how to make your opposite front foot less dumb? Back crooks were always a pain in the ass but switch they are way easier to lock into and pop out of.

Someone mentioned to put more pressure on both heels when landing in a back crook -- that sounds like it could work.

And to add to the tips; kickflips seem pretty straightforward but they are easy to lose if you don't do them a lot. If I think about flicking my foot directly parallel with the direction my front shoulder is pointing than I get a pretty consistent flick -- keeps my shoulder aiming directly straight. This will really help you with switch shit too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:26:16 PM by rubbery vagina »

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »
I think about this alot -- like how some people are really comfortable popping and spinning  either clockwise or counter clock wise. I can float switch ollies more naturally than regular, and regular backside is way more comfortable than frontside. My switch stance front foot can lead and guide the board easier than regular. Anyone know how to make your opposite front foot less dumb? Back crooks were always a pain in the ass but switch they are way easier to lock into and pop out of.

Someone mentioned to put more pressure on both heels when landing in a back crook -- that sounds like it could work.

And to add to the tips; kickflips seem pretty straightforward but they are easy to lose if you don't do them a lot. If I think about flicking my foot directly parallel with the direction my front shoulder is pointing than I get a pretty consistent flick -- keeps my shoulder aiming directly straight. This will really help you with switch shit too.

The amount of times i lost and regained kickflips is ridiculous, it seems every time i dont skate for a while and come back thats the one trick that takes forever to land, so frustrating

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Lift your front foot off the board first like a crane when doing impossibles

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Skate every day or you're in for a 30 minute warmup every session.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2017, 03:42:47 AM »
Learn flip tricks without looking at your feet, I read that in the Rongy Mulder book. I can beam 360 flips now

bo golden

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 04:05:22 AM »

Shit, more like an hour.

thebacker

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
Odd one for anyone that has a hard time grinding flat round rails, even the big fat ones. Don't bend down much on the pop. Once I figured this out I could grind rails pretty easy.

Learning to nosemanual, it's helps alot to go fast.

This one might just be me but on switch or nollie heels, my front foot is actually pointing a tad backwards, and I. Also looking slightly backwards.

Backside flips are waaa�y easier going fast, as are good back 180s

If your having one of those "off kickflip days" , do a bunch fakie first. I find I stay more center on fakie flips and get more pop. After I do ten or so and switch back my kickflips are usually good to go

I could never do back 3s, any tips for those? Ive been able to do them switch for 15 years but I've never rode away from a clean regular one, and I wanna learn em so bad.

On front heels, every stance, lean back a tad at the pop but jump more forward (learned this from Pat channita)

For back 3's keep your shoulders a tad ahead of your feet and move in 1 motion. It also helps to put my toes on the middle of my tail and to pop straight down. Putting your feet parallel has helped me alot recently with them

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Odd one for anyone that has a hard time grinding flat round rails, even the big fat ones. Don't bend down much on the pop. Once I figured this out I could grind rails pretty easy.

Learning to nosemanual, it's helps alot to go fast.

This one might just be me but on switch or nollie heels, my front foot is actually pointing a tad backwards, and I. Also looking slightly backwards.

Backside flips are waaa�y easier going fast, as are good back 180s

If your having one of those "off kickflip days" , do a bunch fakie first. I find I stay more center on fakie flips and get more pop. After I do ten or so and switch back my kickflips are usually good to go

I could never do back 3s, any tips for those? Ive been able to do them switch for 15 years but I've never rode away from a clean regular one, and I wanna learn em so bad.

On front heels, every stance, lean back a tad at the pop but jump more forward (learned this from Pat channita)

[close]

For back 3's keep your shoulders a tad ahead of your feet and move in 1 motion. It also helps to put my toes on the middle of my tail and to pop straight down. Putting your feet parallel has helped me alot recently with them

Thanks, I'll giver a go.

It's weird I can spin my shoulders so quick switch, but regular it feels like slow motion.

Hopefully this helps. I'll be happy to pull one in my life
Gentleman ninja warlock

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
This one always escaped me for some reason, popping out of the middle of a ledge on bs/fs crooked grinds.

Advice please.

Also no-comply flips up curbs, anyone got the secret for that? I've heard you almost need to scoop a fs shuv but I can't get it to flip all the way.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
This one always escaped me for some reason, popping out of the middle of a ledge on bs/fs crooked grinds.

Advice please.

Also no-comply flips up curbs, anyone got the secret for that? I've heard you almost need to scoop a fs shuv but I can't get it to flip all the way.

For the no-comply flip off a curb, put your back foot on the toe-side pocket pointing forward. The key is to hit the toe-side of the tail on the curb first. That's what makes it flip. Hope that helps! Once you get em, you never lose it.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Shit, more like an hour.

Ah, ah!! Wait, i actually need to warm up off my board before i can warm up on it..

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
You guys are so much better at giving trick tips than most pros doing trick tip videos. Motivated to learn something new after work today!

Chuck Gender

« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:40 PM »
Great thread!
For hardflips go fast an shove the hell out of your tail in a straightforward motion.  Don't concentrate in the flick, this will come automatically.

One trick I can't do is a proper fs smith on a ledge.  Can Do 5-0s and lipslides but still... Any advice would be great! 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
Great thread!
For hardflips go fast an shove the hell out of your tail in a straightforward motion.  Don't concentrate in the flick, this will come automatically.

One trick I can't do is a proper fs smith on a ledge.  Can Do 5-0s and lipslides but still... Any advice would be great! 

FS smiths on ledges are a 5-0 with a dropped nose, or a fucked up lipslide. Put your weight on your back truck like a 5-0 or lip but get that back truck on. It sounds oversimplified but I literally just got them back on ledges on Sunday and that's all I did.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
I've got backside slappies pretty well, but frontside are alien to me. Backside at least feel sorta similar to backside grinds on transition.

yeah I always feel like I'm gonna fall backwards on front slappies. i never learned them at all until in my 30's but i got em one day and then instantly learned that slappy crooks is actually way easy and sorta teaches you the whole thing. getting that front truck on first is the biggest hurdle for most understanding slappies so you just get the ball of your foot in that little pocket there and as soon as ur about to hit the curb just lean onto it and it just goes.

funny cause they always looked so hard to me but now its just automatic.

Expand Quote
Great thread!

[close]

FS smiths on ledges are a 5-0 with a dropped nose, or a fucked up lipslide. Put your weight on your back truck like a 5-0 or lip but get that back truck on. It sounds oversimplified but I literally just got them back on ledges on Sunday and that's all I did.

also this. i learned smiths after over a decade of not being able to do them just from my friend saying 'it's a low 5-0'. took me less than 10 tries after that to get it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:20:00 PM by Buck Russell »

youngbuck

• Rep: -5
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2017, 08:09:29 PM »
I learned ss fs 360 on flat ground by tricking myself into thinking i was doing a caballerial.
Nollie kickfliping down curbs is the exact same as going really fast and doing them flatground
try to refrain from punching little kids that do pressure flips in games of skate; feel free to punch grown ass men who do pressure flips in games of skate
and with that pressure flips are like impossibles or 360 shuv its, but tweak your ankle into making your board do the inward heelflip

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
it all boils down to the perfect underwear
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 551
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
I've got backside slappies pretty well, but frontside are alien to me. Backside at least feel sorta similar to backside grinds on transition.

Backside slappy's at least in my case are all back truck not front, that sort of micro rotate right as you unweight your feet is key.

Took me a while but this new curb spot got frontsides dialed in for me, it's at times almost like powersliding the back truck on