Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171828 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #450 on: September 08, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
I was getting stoked that this thread was getting bumbed, but then I realized that there's hardly anything coming out these days that's getting me stoked...
Hope KA's new shoe is a cupsole tbh

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #451 on: September 09, 2019, 07:37:34 AM »
I was getting stoked that this thread was getting bumbed, but then I realized that there's hardly anything coming out these days that's getting me stoked...
Hope KA's new shoe is a cupsole tbh
Same. There is a new colorway of the Accel plus everstitch, but otherwise I haven't seen anything come out recently that i'm excited about. I am glad es is keeping that shoe going. It's a great shoe. Someone needs to make a good, durable vegan mid.
No.

padded_shorts

« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2019, 07:47:19 AM »
back on topic, who's rocking what lately?
My swifts are still going strong (suprisingly) on the sidewall/ toecap, but the sole is starting to thin out, will probably transition to accel slims and my Riley's full time over the summer. Haven't really seen too much being released at the moment that's getting me hyped...
How do the riley's fit compared to your swifts? Is the sizing the same? I think I'm going to order some, but not sure If I need to size up or down or stay the same.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2019, 06:21:40 PM »
Expand Quote
My swifts are still going strong (suprisingly) on the sidewall/ toecap, but the sole is starting to thin out, will probably transition to accel slims and my Riley's full time over the summer. Haven't really seen too much being released at the moment that's getting me hyped...
[close]
How do the riley's fit compared to your swifts? Is the sizing the same? I think I'm going to order some, but not sure If I need to size up or down or stay the same.
yo! They are the same size; I wear 10 in swifts and 10 in the lakais (the toe box is ever so slightly longer in the Riley's). Be warned tho, they'll feel a bit shallow coming from a cupsole (and you might have to change out the insole depending on what you think of Lakai insoles). I skated my Riley's on Sunday and my (6 month old) swifts yesterday and the eS are superior in almost every aspect!

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Have you guys skated the canvas authentic pro ?
Do you know if the duracap under the canvas is only in the ollie area or also in the toecap area ?

I had some slip-on pro checkerboard in the past and had a hole in the toecap area within a week...
[close]
I have a pair of these now.  For the authentic pros, the duracap is under the whole forefoot panel of the shoe.  I actually find that it's less comfortable than non-duracap vans because the duracap layer makes the forefoot area slightly less flexible and now the tops of my toe-knuckles have blisters from walking all day in them.

The duracap is a pain, but mine must have fit me better in the forefoot cause I never got blisters or any pain after break in. The duracap is very thin, but because of the high upper-sole ratio, you have to burn through the outsole first, as it kinda wraps over the top of the upper.
Skated mine for a summer, they were fine. But I do have a gentle flick. Glue the panel stitching, I blew mine out stupid fast and was shoe gooing it together.
Total newbie

padded_shorts

« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2019, 05:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yo! They are the same size; I wear 10 in swifts and 10 in the lakais (the toe box is ever so slightly longer in the Riley's). Be warned tho, they'll feel a bit shallow coming from a cupsole (and you might have to change out the insole depending on what you think of Lakai insoles). I skated my Riley's on Sunday and my (6 month old) swifts yesterday and the eS are superior in almost every aspect!
Thanks. I found a shop here that had the non vegan ones and tried some on. I wear a 12 in Es but the rileys were way too tight. I have a pretty tall foot. A 13 felt great, but there was a little extra length in the toe. For some reason they don't make a 12 1/2. I'm still going to get a pair, but I probably won't skate them. They'll just be a hanging out shoe.
No.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #456 on: October 16, 2019, 02:25:08 AM »
Saw them at my local shop this week.
The material seem quite strong so I might give those a try.

Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2019, 07:04:49 AM »
Rowley mentioned an all synth season of his waffle cup model coming out, I don't really want to give him my money but good vegan cupsoles are hard to come by....

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
where did you see that?
it's kinda like the Impossible whopper at Burger King...I don't want to give Burger King money, but also if they see high demand for veg*n products it's assumed that they will produce more.  Same goes for synth shoes at Vans.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2019, 01:52:46 AM »
Look at the comments from his insta when he was posting his waffle cup, lots of people are for a synth version and he said the next season will will feature an all synth version!

Yeah, I get your reasoning and it is how I am with restaurants that serve meat too; if I can buy their vegan products and show there is demand for them, maybe they’ll increase the number of options available

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #460 on: October 18, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have you guys skated the canvas authentic pro ?
Do you know if the duracap under the canvas is only in the ollie area or also in the toecap area ?

I had some slip-on pro checkerboard in the past and had a hole in the toecap area within a week...
[close]
I have a pair of these now.  For the authentic pros, the duracap is under the whole forefoot panel of the shoe.  I actually find that it's less comfortable than non-duracap vans because the duracap layer makes the forefoot area slightly less flexible and now the tops of my toe-knuckles have blisters from walking all day in them.
[close]

The duracap is a pain, but mine must have fit me better in the forefoot cause I never got blisters or any pain after break in. The duracap is very thin, but because of the high upper-sole ratio, you have to burn through the outsole first, as it kinda wraps over the top of the upper.
Skated mine for a summer, they were fine. But I do have a gentle flick. Glue the panel stitching, I blew mine out stupid fast and was shoe gooing it together.

Quick update on the Authentic pro.
They skated very nicely, but are now full glued after 1 month only.
I also do a lot of flip tricks, and skate 5-6 times a week...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #461 on: October 27, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »
I know it's a hate it or love it shoe but for the dudes who love it, Tilly's has the Riley 2's for $47.99

I bought 6 pairs already 8) I've been skating it for about a year.  It could be a little lighter, and maybe a little wider in the toe but with as terrible as the vegan skate shoe scene has been I figured I'd stock up since it's been agonizing finding any other shoes I like right now.

https://www.tillys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tillys-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=347603178

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: October 28, 2019, 07:05:46 AM »
I know it's a hate it or love it shoe but for the dudes who love it, Tilly's has the Riley 2's for $47.99

I bought 6 pairs already 8) I've been skating it for about a year.  It could be a little lighter, and maybe a little wider in the toe but with as terrible as the vegan skate shoe scene has been I figured I'd stock up since it's been agonizing finding any other shoes I like right now.

https://www.tillys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tillys-Site/default/Product-Variation?pid=347603178
Whoa weird!  Looks like Tilly's has a bunch of exclusive colorways for Lakai.  Never saw those blackout canvas Riley's before, and there's also an all-canvas Cambridge!

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #463 on: October 28, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
I was at the shop yesterday? Maybe the day before
I was told that the 420 is vegan

My other choice was canvas slips or chucks. Both I don't like to skate in now I'm old.

Has anyone skated the 420
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: October 28, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »

My other choice was canvas slips or chucks. Both I don't like to skate in now I'm old.

I've had two pairs and really liked them.  99% of the time i'm a vulc guy so they were a little tough to get used to at first but broke in within the first sesh.  Prefer the faux-suede ones and/or the gum-rubber soles. 

drewbearz

« Reply #465 on: October 28, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »

I'm skating a pair now.

They're, alright...

They hold up very well against flip tricks. The tongue slides a lot. They got way more comfortable as time went on. I where a 13 in most new balance running shoes, a 12.5 in other shoes when I can find them. I wish they made these in 12.5 cause I would like to have them be ever so slightly tighter. They don't fit as well as regular new balance running shoes.

I'm going to buy a pair again though. Maybe a few because vegan skate shoes that genuinely hold up are fucking unicorns and I feel lucky that these are made, despite them not being my ideal sneaker.

AssFlea

« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm skating a pair now.

They're, alright...

They hold up very well against flip tricks. The tongue slides a lot. They got way more comfortable as time went on. I where a 13 in most new balance running shoes, a 12.5 in other shoes when I can find them. I wish they made these in 12.5 cause I would like to have them be ever so slightly tighter. They don't fit as well as regular new balance running shoes.

I'm going to buy a pair again though. Maybe a few because vegan skate shoes that genuinely hold up are fucking unicorns and I feel lucky that these are made, despite them not being my ideal sneaker.

werdup thank you
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: October 28, 2019, 03:00:03 PM »
The lack of tongue centering straps on the 420 is their biggest fault!

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #468 on: October 28, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Whoa weird!  Looks like Tilly's has a bunch of exclusive colorways for Lakai.  Never saw those blackout canvas Riley's before, and there's also an all-canvas Cambridge!

Dude, I thought the same thing The all white canvas joints have popped up at a few places but I hadn't caught the all blacks anywhere.  Are you talking about the black textile Cambridges tho? I'm looking at those now and think I'll grab a pair to check out.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #469 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »
The Bishop from State ain’t bad if you like a narrow fit. Bought some canvas ones on the cheap because of how notorious canvas can be and they’re holding up real well. They run rubber underneath the canvas and have a sole very similar to some Nikes I’ve had before. If State hasn’t been brought up, their canvas options are definitely worth a look.

AssFlea

« Reply #470 on: October 28, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »
The Bishop from State ain’t bad if you like a narrow fit. Bought some canvas ones on the cheap because of how notorious canvas can be and they’re holding up real well. They run rubber underneath the canvas and have a sole very similar to some Nikes I’ve had before. If State hasn’t been brought up, their canvas options are definitely worth a look.

I like the way state looks. The riders are dope. I got small square feet. Old ones too. I'm about cups
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: October 28, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
Apparently Riley 2 comes in grey synth too!
(The brown color is superior tho)

padded_shorts

« Reply #472 on: October 29, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
No.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #473 on: October 29, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
Honest question: how vegan can skate shoes really be? No animal byproducts, sure, but what about rubbers being used? Or synthetic dyes? Glues? Just for starters these can be pretty harmful to animals as well considering where they get sourced or what impact they have after production.

Not trying to be contrarian, maybe the answer is that none get off 100% clean but I just want to explore the question in the hopes someone has an answer.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

drewbearz

« Reply #474 on: October 29, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
Honest question: how vegan can skate shoes really be? No animal byproducts, sure, but what about rubbers being used? Or synthetic dyes? Glues? Just for starters these can be pretty harmful to animals as well considering where they get sourced or what impact they have after production.

Not trying to be contrarian, maybe the answer is that none get off 100% clean but I just want to explore the question in the hopes someone has an answer.

Almost everything has some significant impact on the welfare of animals. That said, not being made out of animal products is what constitutes it being vegan. If you define it any other way than most vegetables couldn't even be considered vegan since farming fucks up animals habitats too.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: October 29, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
Seriously, please go back to page one, this has been covered ad nauseum in this thread

padded_shorts

« Reply #476 on: October 29, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
"Hey guys, I'm not trying to be contrarian here, but aren't all vegans a bunch of fucking pussy idiots? If you really cared about animals why wouldn't you just kill yourself? Then you wouldn't be able to harm them. Except then you would be eliminating the home of all the micro-organisms that live on your gross vegan body. So really you guys are all just dumb pieces of shit."
-Every clever asshole that sees this thread for the first time

EDIT: I may have overreacted here. Please allow me to apologize to everyone for my outburst. I must have been having a bad day. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:01:53 AM by padded_shorts »
No.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: October 30, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
"Hey guys, I'm not trying to be contrarian here, but aren't all vegans a bunch of fucking pussy idiots? If you really cared about animals why wouldn't you just kill yourself? Then you wouldn't be able to harm them. Except then you would be eliminating the home of all the micro-organisms that live on your gross vegan body. So really you guys are all just dumb pieces of shit."
-Every clever asshole that sees this thread for the first time

Whoa shit, ok, I was trying to get down with the program, didn’t realize it was like that in here.

I guess I’ll just leave you guys to it then.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: October 30, 2019, 02:15:31 AM »
I don’t think he was trying to be all holier than thou there Hyena but the exact point you tried to make has been pretty much been discussed 13 times over 16 pages of this thread so it gets a little old and tedious when someone bumps the thread to essentially say the same thing. Most of the vegans on slap are pretty chill and we mainly stick to this thread when disgussing vegan things ...unless of course it’s a thread about Rowley 😜
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:27:43 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: October 30, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »
I don’t think he was trying to be all holier than thou there Hyena but the exact point you tried to make has been pretty much been discussed 13 times over 16 pages of this thread so it gets a little old and tedious when someone bumps the thread to essentially say the same thing. Most the vegans on slap are pretty chill and we mainly stick to this thread when disgussing vegan things ...unless of course it’s a thread aabout Rowley 😜

My bad, I guess it sounds like I was trying to make a point with a rhetorical question but I was asking in earnest to see if anyone has found something that meets a criteria for lowest overall environmental impact, which may or may not exist. And also to become a participant in this thread.

I’m not trying to argue the definition of vegan skate shoes or call anyone “fucking pussy idiots” I’m just trying to reduce my own impact on the environment and animals globally.