Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171639 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #840 on: November 26, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
Just so it's known the state Elgin shoe must have some special stuff holding it together.

I figured hole day one but I've skated the like 6x likely over 20 hrs. No hole just a light spot.
Do you have the Elgins with the leather-look tab on the tongue, or with the embroidery?  I know it says they’re vegan, but leather tab looks awfully real in all the super-zooms I’ve looked at. 

Teddy2Belts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #841 on: November 26, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
So I looked at NB's website to see if they have any decent synthetic shoes and I noticed under the details for the AM425 it states 'synthetic and mesh'.

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/lifestyle/court-classics/all-coasts-am425/AM425V1-32237.html?dwvar_AM425V1-32237_style=AM425WGN#style=AM425WGN&size=7.5&width=D

Just in case y'all didn't know.
[close]
Yep!  I’ve had my eye on these for a few weeks now but haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I already have too many shoes and I’m trying to reduce my skate purchases from the big sports brands.  But damn I really like those! If there’s a significant weekend sale that might just be my last straw...

Looks like 30% off everything on the US site. They've got some 420s in stock too.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #842 on: November 26, 2020, 01:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Just so it's known the state Elgin shoe must have some special stuff holding it together.

I figured hole day one but I've skated the like 6x likely over 20 hrs. No hole just a light spot.
[close]
Do you have the Elgins with the leather-look tab on the tongue, or with the embroidery?  I know it says they’re vegan, but leather tab looks awfully real in all the super-zooms I’ve looked at.

It's fake check it out it's also a screen not embroidery so maybe it's a different one?

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #843 on: November 26, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »

yeah, even the canvas states are designed really well, if it was a vans era your toes would be bleeding!
They also have a rubber underlay for when you eventually rip through the canvas

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #844 on: November 26, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah, even the canvas states are designed really well, if it was a vans era your toes would be bleeding!

That makes sense. They did a bang up job.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #845 on: November 28, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I looked at NB's website to see if they have any decent synthetic shoes and I noticed under the details for the AM425 it states 'synthetic and mesh'.

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/men/shoes/lifestyle/court-classics/all-coasts-am425/AM425V1-32237.html?dwvar_AM425V1-32237_style=AM425WGN#style=AM425WGN&size=7.5&width=D

Just in case y'all didn't know.
[close]
Yep!  I’ve had my eye on these for a few weeks now but haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I already have too many shoes and I’m trying to reduce my skate purchases from the big sports brands.  But damn I really like those! If there’s a significant weekend sale that might just be my last straw...
[close]

Looks like 30% off everything on the US site. They've got some 420s in stock too.
The 420s aren’t included in the sale. Disappointing.
No.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #846 on: November 29, 2020, 12:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Let's be honest, this happen on the first or second sesh.
Very good shoes, I love them though.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: November 29, 2020, 01:47:21 AM »
Idk, I’m not super hard on my shoes but the canvas ones I had held up for a long time without ripping.

I tried some of those waffle cup bmx vans in synthetic yesterday and really liked the way they felt, might cop!

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #848 on: December 02, 2020, 12:56:46 AM »
alright vegan gamers
would i be wack for skating some suede mids and donating money monthly to a cow sanctuary to ease my conscience? the thought of skating suede bums me out but i need some sturdy shoes for my shitty ankles (and those 440 mids look sooo nice)

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #849 on: December 02, 2020, 01:57:40 AM »
alright vegan gamers
would i be wack for skating some suede mids and donating money monthly to a cow sanctuary to ease my conscience? the thought of skating suede bums me out but i need some sturdy shoes for my shitty ankles (and those 440 mids look sooo nice)
See what you can find on used (but not too used) on eBay or Poshmark or whatever. Or boost some.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #850 on: December 02, 2020, 05:06:03 AM »
If skating suede bums you out then maybe no? Do what you gotta do though, eBay sounds like a good idea, maybe some unused Ryan Lays?

Cubz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #851 on: December 02, 2020, 06:52:13 AM »
alright vegan gamers

You have different options :
- Some vegan shoes aren't just canvas, you can find some with fake leather/suede that are pretty good (For example Globe Encore-2 in the vegan colorway. I told about these shoes a few pages back. I promise, I'm not sponsored by them tho  ;D )

- You can buy second hand suede shoes, for example in Europe we have Vinted, where you can find second hand products, and some people are selling things like shoes that have never been worn.

It depends on you, do what you want but for me, it's just excuses.

padded_shorts

« Reply #852 on: December 02, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
alright vegan gamers
I'm not one to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. That said, you should check out the Emerica Omen Hi Winkowskis. They are canvas, but very sturdy. They only come in white, which kind of sucks, but once you get them broken in they feel great and provide support for shitty ankles.
No.

vegangangzta

« Reply #853 on: December 03, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
alright vegan gamers

Yes, that is wack. You’re directly supporting the death of innocent animals. If you feel like you HAVE to buy suede, then get them second hand. I don’t do that, because I don’t want to wear an animals skin and be reminded daily, but at least you won’t be paying for another animal to be killed unnecessarily. There’s plenty of canvas and synthetic skate shoes out there. Ethics over fashion.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #854 on: December 03, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
from the general upcoming release thread, looks like Osiris is re-releasing these (wasn't someone asking about puffy shoes in here last week?) and looks like they might be staying true to the old school all-synth of that era

personally these are hard pass for me, but maybe someone is into 'em.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: December 03, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
Nearly every single shoe in that era was synth, eS was a goldmine

Cubz

« Reply #856 on: December 04, 2020, 12:05:00 AM »
On Vans (US) website, I found 2 pairs that seems vegan :

- Classic Half Cab : https://www.vans.com/shop/half-cab-black
- A pro shoe with a denim version, the Denim Kyle Walker pro (it's a cupsole) : https://www.vans.com/shop/denim-kyle-walker-pro-black-pewter#more

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: December 04, 2020, 07:15:53 AM »
Those halfcabs are definitely not vegan.  Vans used to have an all-canvas halfcab (colorway was called 14oz black) but those ones on the site now are real suede.  Looks like Vans just never updated the description part of the website.
Jury is still out the Kyle Walkers. I don't think anyone has verified if that label tab on the tongue is real leather or not, but that would be the only spoiler for that particular colorway being vegan.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #858 on: December 04, 2020, 09:38:20 AM »
I've skimmed the pages and seen some responses about this but I'm still curious...
How many of y'all vegan skaters (or vegan skaters to be) would be willing to compromise in a pinch on buying a canvas or synthetic shoe that is 97-99% vegan materials but has one small tab or patch/panel that's made of animal skin? Examples include the aforementioned Kyle Walker Denim (and Canvas) models, as well as those State canvas/denim models (if the tongue tab isn't synthetic), etc.
Technically, that's still significantly better than buying a majority suede/leather shoe. And wouldn't buying those alongside the true 100% vegan models help push the brands to make more canvas/synth models? I'm not asking you to just buy the 99% vegan models just because, I'm more so asking if there's any exceptions or scenarios where you would compromise if you had to or wanted to since the shoes serve a function over just fashion.

But, I get it and I'm not criticizing your preference to skate no animal products, I'm trying to understand more since we want these brands to keep the minor panels and tabs in mind with the ingredient materials, not just high wear areas.
Super Champion Fun Zone

padded_shorts

« Reply #859 on: December 04, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
I really miss those 14oz halfcabs. They made blue ones as well and possibly red.
as to the compromise question, I don't. At least on shoes and clothes and what I eat. No leather patches on pants or shoes, no leather gloves. The only place I ever consider a compromise is medical stuff. If something animal based is going to save my life, ok. I'll maybe feel bad about it, but I'm not going to die. Most of the medical industry is at least tested on animals and a lot of medications contain animal products, flu shot is cultured in egg material, many gel caps contain gelatin etc. If a non-animal option is available I'm taking it. I've gotten lucky with medications, and even flu shots are sometimes available egg free so it hasn't actually come up yet.
No.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #860 on: December 04, 2020, 12:45:55 PM »
Expand Quote
alright vegan gamers
[close]

Yes, that is wack. You’re directly supporting the death of innocent animals. If you feel like you HAVE to buy suede, then get them second hand. I don’t do that, because I don’t want to wear an animals skin and be reminded daily, but at least you won’t be paying for another animal to be killed unnecessarily. There’s plenty of canvas and synthetic skate shoes out there. Ethics over fashion.
yeah you're right. for the record it was about function over fashion, but yeah i'll stick with vegan shoes or second hand. sucks that those half cabs posted here aren't vegan, that would be too good to be true. are there any vegan sk8-hi's?
also, have any of you guys experimented with some chuck taylor hi's and just adding black shoe goo to the flick area? how do they hold up?

vegangangzta

« Reply #862 on: December 04, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
I've skimmed the pages and seen some responses about this but I'm still curious...
How many of y'all vegan skaters (or vegan skaters to be) would be willing to compromise in a pinch on buying a canvas or synthetic shoe that is 97-99% vegan materials but has one small tab or patch/panel that's made of animal skin? Examples include the aforementioned Kyle Walker Denim (and Canvas) models, as well as those State canvas/denim models (if the tongue tab isn't synthetic), etc.
Technically, that's still significantly better than buying a majority suede/leather shoe. And wouldn't buying those alongside the true 100% vegan models help push the brands to make more canvas/synth models? I'm not asking you to just buy the 99% vegan models just because, I'm more so asking if there's any exceptions or scenarios where you would compromise if you had to or wanted to since the shoes serve a function over just fashion.

But, I get it and I'm not criticizing your preference to skate no animal products, I'm trying to understand more since we want these brands to keep the minor panels and tabs in mind with the ingredient materials, not just high wear areas.

If the shoe has any animal skin on it, I won’t buy it. I’ve seen those Kyle Walkers in person and it looks like faux leather, and there wasn’t a animal hide symbol on the materials sticker. I’m not 100% though, obviously. I also don’t wear Vans shoes. My pick for current vegan skate shoes are...

Adidas vegan originals - superstar
eS - symbol, evant, accel plus everstitch
Osiris - trace, relic, low key, fit
Fallen - T Gun, Patriot
New balance 420 (mostly as a chill shoe)

Also a reminder. No one is perfect, and it’s not about that. Veganism is the idea that animals aren’t property and their lives are their own. We choose where our money goes and what it funds. If you have to take a medication, you have to take a medication. When it comes to food, clothes, cosmetics, etc, we can make an ethical choice and the world a better place for them.

I’m excited for another Etnies marana, Osiris reissues and anything eS does.

Also just realized adidas added black sambas! I skated my white ones and they were decent. Better to just hang out in...

https://www.adidas.com/us/samba-vegan-shoes/FX9042.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:10:37 PM by vegangangzta »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: December 04, 2020, 02:46:46 PM »
Yes!  I ordered those black sambas earlier this week when there was a 40% off coupon!  I love the white ones I've had for a while now, but never tried skating in them.
I don't know what's up with sk8-Hi's anymore.  On the vans custom generator, it says the black and white jazz stripes are only available in leather.  But i'm not sure if that's only applicable to vans customs, or if they put real leather jazz stripes on all their canvas shoes with the stripe...
About a year ago I bought a pair of the white Old Skools "made for the makers" which are all-canvas, but the stripe was indeed real leather so I returned them.  Proceed on the sk8-Hi's with caution.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #864 on: December 04, 2020, 06:17:52 PM »
@DarkPools personally I don’t compromise ever, but I’m not harsh on shoes so I can usually make them last til something else comes out. I don’t judge other people though, do what you can do, none of us are perfect.

@kneebone i just saw those black sambas, DAMN that’s a fine colourway, especially for a vegan model! Did you say they fit tts or half size up? (Sorry can’t remember but I think the consensus with shelltoes is half size up right)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #865 on: December 04, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »

Last resort. So nice!

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #866 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:23 PM »
@DarkPools personally I don’t compromise ever, but I’m not harsh on shoes so I can usually make them last til something else comes out. I don’t judge other people though, do what you can do, none of us are perfect.

@kneebone i just saw those black sambas, DAMN that’s a fine colourway, especially for a vegan model! Did you say they fit tts or half size up? (Sorry can’t remember but I think the consensus with shelltoes is half size up right)
I went TTS on the shelltoes and up a half size on the sambas

Cubz

« Reply #867 on: December 05, 2020, 11:31:35 AM »

The same for me.

But I always have an item with leather : my wallet, which was a present from my parents for my graduation, several years before I became vegan. I'm totally ok to use it, and I'll replace it only if needed.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #868 on: December 06, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses and thank you to anyone who responds after this!

Veganism and its followers can have a negative stigma to a lot of people I feel and I know that precipitates in to the skateboarding world, as well. Everybody just wants animal free products at the end of the day is what I gathered. On almost everything (some people practice slightly differently I'm sure depending on circumstances).

Many details on the shoe or clothes that non-vegans wouldn't think twice about. Anyways, I'm not vegan but I want to help contribute to having more vegan gear available for skaters, so it's useful for someone like me (and others) if there's an opportunity to use that when engaging with companies to make vegan products.

I'll let the thread get back to shoes now haha!
Super Champion Fun Zone

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #869 on: December 07, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »
Any thoughts on why there aren't more options? I'm returning to skating regularly after many years off, and have been surprised there aren't more shoes available.

I've been skating in vans authentic pros, but my feet are sliding all over the place in the shoes and I've been getting wicked blisters. Not to mention the soles have started to peel away in just a few sessions.

Picked up some NB 420s at everyone's suggestions here and maybe it's my flat feet, but they were some of the most uncomfortable shoes I've worn. My feet were in pain after a 20 minute walk. Ordered some fp gamechangers insoles and am going to swap those in and see if they do the trick.

Any suggestions for something similar that holds up well and is comfortable and synth?

Also, figured I'd post here, but I've got some size 11 14oz black half cabs that have never been worn.
EDIT: SOLD

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:23:46 AM by geneparmesan »