Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 170924 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1020 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:15 AM »
I mean even Nike just released in EU high top vegan leather dunks.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1021 on: March 08, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We got a couple vegan models this season.

https://www.emerica.com/footwear/vegan/

Got 2 more in Summer and then a bit more in Fall. Got some synthetic suede models coming soon as well.
[close]

Stoked on this. Any chance the Wino Cup will come in a vegan option? That would be an immediate purchase for me.
[close]
Psyched to see the Romero Laced back in a vegan option.  I passed on prior vegan versions when I was a vulc-only guy, but now I'd like to try these.  Am I remembering correctly that there's also an all-white canvas version of the Romero Laced coming soon?
[close]
Yep!
I'll do EmericaTM's job and bump the thread to say that these are available on the emerica site now ;)
https://www.emerica.com/us/footwear/romero/romero-laced-6102000089.html?dwvar_6102000089_color=753#start=35

SlapTM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1022 on: March 08, 2021, 11:30:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We got a couple vegan models this season.

https://www.emerica.com/footwear/vegan/

Got 2 more in Summer and then a bit more in Fall. Got some synthetic suede models coming soon as well.
[close]

Stoked on this. Any chance the Wino Cup will come in a vegan option? That would be an immediate purchase for me.
[close]
Psyched to see the Romero Laced back in a vegan option.  I passed on prior vegan versions when I was a vulc-only guy, but now I'd like to try these.  Am I remembering correctly that there's also an all-white canvas version of the Romero Laced coming soon?
[close]
Yep!
[close]
I'll do EmericaTM's job and bump the thread to say that these are available on the emerica site now ;)
https://www.emerica.com/us/footwear/romero/romero-laced-6102000089.html?dwvar_6102000089_color=753#start=35

Haha thank you Kneebone! Appreciate it!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1024 on: March 14, 2021, 07:48:13 AM »

Looks like we’ll be getting some more reviews in the future.

Currently look at those dicksons, new 213s from NB# or the next drop from Last Resort AB.
No cupsoles though and I still maintain that my 420s are the best shoes I’ve skated in a long time...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1025 on: March 14, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »
Nice, that was a pretty good review. A lot of skating but to list the specs and get into detail is something other reviewers don’t do, surprisingly.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 144
« Reply #1026 on: March 14, 2021, 03:14:33 PM »

Looks like we’ll be getting some more reviews in the future.

Currently look at those dicksons, new 213s from NB# or the next drop from Last Resort AB.
No cupsoles though and I still maintain that my 420s are the best shoes I’ve skated in a long time...

Same here, either the Dicksons or the upcoming Last Resorts for me. I'm just waiting for either of them to come in at my local

The review was great; definitely looking forward to more in the future. 

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1027 on: March 16, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
Wow, this is a great review of the dickson shoes. My only concern is the toe flick area, but with a little shoe goo it is gonna be fine.
I would like to ask you, what do you think about buying or just reusing second hand non-vegan shoes? I used to buy a lot of second hand shoes in the past. First when i was not vegan i bought them, coz i didn't have money to buy new skate shoe very often, but later when i became conscious about the animal suffering i was on a crossroad. I think it is ok (environmentally) to reuse shoes that have been thrown away but still have doubts about the use of animal materials. When you buy second hand you don't support the leather industry but when wearing leather shoes you normalize it like a behaviour in the society, not that the people care what you wear, especcially if you are nobody famous, but still it is kind of a moral dilema to me. What is your opinion on this?

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 144
« Reply #1028 on: March 16, 2021, 06:05:51 PM »
Wow, this is a great review of the dickson shoes. My only concern is the toe flick area, but with a little shoe goo it is gonna be fine.
I would like to ask you, what do you think about buying or just reusing second hand non-vegan shoes? I used to buy a lot of second hand shoes in the past. First when i was not vegan i bought them, coz i didn't have money to buy new skate shoe very often, but later when i became conscious about the animal suffering i was on a crossroad. I think it is ok (environmentally) to reuse shoes that have been thrown away but still have doubts about the use of animal materials. When you buy second hand you don't support the leather industry but when wearing leather shoes you normalize it like a behaviour in the society, not that the people care what you wear, especcially if you are nobody famous, but still it is kind of a moral dilema to me. What is your opinion on this?

This is a good point, and I ask myself about buying secondhand often. I still subscribe to the idea of "voting with your dollar" though, and so for brands to continue to make vegan shoes and normalize it within the industry, there needs to be people out there who buy them. Plus, if I can buy the shoes from my local, it's all the better. The question to buy secondhand or buy new vegan is really two questions: do I buy a better shoe or do I support my local, and, do I reuse for the sake of the environment or do I encourage brands to continue making vegan products; with the benefits of which possibly outlasting myself and thereby bringing the world at large closer to the adoption of veganism.

At the end of the day it's a personal choice depending on your values and what veganism means to you.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1029 on: March 17, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
Good point of view, thanx!
I have stopped buying second hand suede a couple of years ago, coz wanted to wear, represent and support the vegan lifestyle 100%. But when i skate more often the shoes just get destroyed very fast. I work part time and live on a low budge, so i try to preserve the shoes using some PU stuff similar to shoe goo, sometimes even glue rubber patches inside or outside on the crucial areas, but still the shoes get trashed very fast. For the last 3-4 years i mostly look for discounted old models which do the job super fine. Now i found one model of HUF (soto knit) for 33 euros but i am not sure if it is 100% vegan, coz there is a small patch above the heel that looks like leather (it  could be synthetic, but i am not sure). It is from an online shop and in the description is written that the material is textile, but i do have some concerns about this patch. Do you have any idea about this model?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:19 AM »
Good point of view, thanx!
I have stopped buying second hand suede a couple of years ago, coz wanted to wear, represent and support the vegan lifestyle 100%. But when i skate more often the shoes just get destroyed very fast. I work part time and live on a low budge, so i try to preserve the shoes using some PU stuff similar to shoe goo, sometimes even glue rubber patches inside or outside on the crucial areas, but still the shoes get trashed very fast. For the last 3-4 years i mostly look for discounted old models which do the job super fine. Now i found one model of HUF (soto knit) for 33 euros but i am not sure if it is 100% vegan, coz there is a small patch above the heel that looks like leather (it  could be synthetic, but i am not sure). It is from an online shop and in the description is written that the material is textile, but i do have some concerns about this patch. Do you have any idea about this model?
I remember when these came out, Huf catalog labeled them as vegan.  Huf was one of the few companies doing a good job at that. Buy with confidence. haha

Shitfoodexpress

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1031 on: March 18, 2021, 01:26:31 AM »
Hi folks, new to the forum and super happy to find a thread about vegan shoes. One question I have after looking through the tread is about glue.

Do we/you/anybody have like a list of brands using synthetic glue?  That's the problem i find with just looking for synthetic shoes.

I think adidas use all synth glue.
New balance  customer service said that the glue is the issue with their non vegan synth shoes(if there are any)
Nike said in 2015 that they use synthetic(heard on IG)
Vans? Since they shout about their vegan shoes i reckon it must be no animal glues?

Any more info in the glue world?

All the best from sweden (shit out of luck in the vegan skateshoe department here)

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1032 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:27 AM »
Bunch of new Sheep-branded stuff is now available on the etnies site.

https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/calli-vulc-x-sheep-4107000554.html?dwvar_4107000554_color=680#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=8
I hate that these have that fabric covering on the sole so that they can save money on the import taxes.  I have a pair of older emerica indicators that had this and it's slippery-city for the first couple weeks.  I know it wears off eventually, but I'm someone who actually likes to skate shoes right out of the box, especially thin vulcs. 
Some Sheep logo shirts, hats and hoodies available too:
https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/apparel/tees/sheep-4130003720.html?dwvar_4130003720_color=001#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=5
https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/accessories/hats/sheep-snapback-4140001332.html?dwvar_4140001332_color=001#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=6
https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/apparel/sweatshirts/sheep-pullover-4130003724.html?dwvar_4130003724_color=001#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=7
And the re-designed Sheep Jameson's with the bigger toecap have been up for a little while too (same annoying fabric outsole):
https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/jameson-vulc-ls-x-sheep-4107000541.html?dwvar_4107000541_color=105#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=3

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1033 on: March 22, 2021, 08:24:08 AM »
This is the same company that put out Ryan Lay’s shoe right? Pretty piss poor effort if you ask me...

In other news I went half a size up in the evants and the fit is a lot more manageable
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:48:29 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #1034 on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
I'm not vegan but I was going to try on some Accel Slims the other day, and when I opened the box it was the wrong shoe inside - it was the new vegan Accel Slim (black/light grey sole), in a half size larger too. But, it looks really nice, so I tried it on. The 11 fit like a 10.5 in the vegan version, just a heads up. I actually really like how it looked, but for some reason that version had a little bit of heel slip. Not much, but a little, when Accels normally don't have any for me. I wonder if that canvas is strong? It seems like super tough canvas.

Anyway, really nice looking Accel slim, in case it hasn't been discussed.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1035 on: March 22, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
I'm not vegan but I was going to try on some Accel Slims the other day, and when I opened the box it was the wrong shoe inside - it was the new vegan Accel Slim (black/light grey sole), in a half size larger too. But, it looks really nice, so I tried it on. The 11 fit like a 10.5 in the vegan version, just a heads up. I actually really like how it looked, but for some reason that version had a little bit of heel slip. Not much, but a little, when Accels normally don't have any for me. I wonder if that canvas is strong? It seems like super tough canvas.

Anyway, really nice looking Accel slim, in case it hasn't been discussed.
Dang, those black canvas accel slims sold out pretty instantly.  Kind of like the eS version of opening a Blazer box and finding a pair of Dunks inside. haha

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
« Reply #1036 on: March 22, 2021, 11:38:14 AM »
Expand Quote
The Leo shoe is a bit weird though because the heel cup either totally works or totally ruins the shoe depending on your foot shape. 
[close]
This was the main review feedback that prevented me from getting them in the past.  The OG Laced's from like 2008 tore the shit out of my heel.  Guess I'll roll the dice...
I don’t know if the romero laced are different, but with the og’s you just had to accept the stabbing of the heels until they broke in and were perfect after that. But they started off as the worst.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Cubz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1037 on: March 24, 2021, 04:22:31 AM »

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1038 on: March 24, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
kind of ugly, but the accel plus everstitch is a very good shoe. Glad to see a vegan colorway again.
No.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1039 on: March 25, 2021, 06:23:33 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1040 on: March 28, 2021, 07:20:51 PM »
Not a fan of all the tie dye shoes tbh...

Took my evants out for a spin the other day, 1/2 size up worked a treat and the break in time was pretty minimal considering how puffy they are. I forgot that I don’t really like shoes that lace up like that though

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1041 on: March 29, 2021, 11:05:03 AM »
Rothmeyer confirmed in the NB thread that these Villani 255s will be canvas/vegan

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: March 29, 2021, 04:44:20 PM »
another canvas vulc aye? not that I'm not thankful for anything but I'm pretty sure the skate shoe market doesn't need another canvas vulc

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1043 on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:46 AM »
another canvas vulc aye? not that I'm not thankful for anything but I'm pretty sure the skate shoe market doesn't need another canvas vulc
I don't really care about the canvas at this point, just give us the cupsole.
No.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1044 on: March 31, 2021, 11:57:23 PM »
Bunch of new Sheep-branded stuff is now available on the etnies site.

https://www.etnies.com/us/mens/shoes/calli-vulc-x-sheep-4107000554.html?dwvar_4107000554_color=680#q=sheep&lang=en_US&start=8

Absolutely not a fan of the color, but those seem to have synth suede ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: April 01, 2021, 12:06:03 AM »
I tried on some emerica slip ons yesterday and they were surprisingly comfortable, maybe I will give the Dickson a try...

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #1046 on: April 01, 2021, 06:05:50 AM »
The best fully vegan skate shoes in my mind are either plain old normal chuck taylors or my personal favourites, chuck 70s. The 70s are insanely durable for being canvas and also look way better most of the other shoes ive seen posted in this thread recently.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #1047 on: April 01, 2021, 07:04:56 AM »
I wouldn't mind a mid-padded cupsole vegan option that isn't in a horrible color like the tie dye accel slims. I wish they would have kept the black/white ones in the line.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: April 01, 2021, 09:24:59 AM »
I tried on some emerica slip ons yesterday and they were surprisingly comfortable, maybe I will give the Dickson a try...
good move

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #1049 on: April 05, 2021, 11:18:17 AM »
Anyone know when those vegan Last Resort AB models are going to be available for purchase in U.S.?

I'm holding off from buying any shoes right now until those are available. I sure hope there's gonna be a size 13.