Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171624 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1410 on: November 14, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Eek, surprised Mike would be involved with that  :(
yeah, this one baffles me tbh, especially with his whole DIY ethic since starting street plant.
Also baffling considering how this is their first vegan model: at least servant always had vegan options …

His recent post about the shoe was like, "this is the company I've been looking for". No Mike, that would be last resort ab!
The grey ones look *okay* if you ripped off the logo and the elephant ad was kinda cool, but I just can't bring myself to buy a pair of these despite the fact I (for the most part) back Mike V... I also want to believe their spiel about ethical factories and caring about the environment because that’s exactly what I want out of a vegan shoe, but the stench of berrics, Scientology and aggressive social media marketing just won’t let me push that purchase button :(
Why couldn’t Etnies just take him back instead?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:55:12 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1411 on: November 15, 2021, 10:15:54 AM »
I understand that Cariuma is not popular with the cool kids and is another non-skater-owned invader into the skate shoe market, and I agree that their logo is terrible, and their marketing/greenwashing is lame, but can someone help me understand why they are thought to be especially evil by Slap people (apparently more so than all the other non-skate basketball/soccer/sailing shoe companies that seem to make up the majority of the market these days)?

I have yet to find a vegan skate shoe that works for me long term, and I've tried them all, so I think I'll have to try the Vallelys, but if there is some legitimate reason to especially avoid this company (beyond the usual reasons why it would be nice to be able to avoid all of these lame companies), please let me know.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #1412 on: November 15, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »
Social media is lame.
Jagger is lame.
Scientology is lame.
Steve Berra is lame.
Cariuma is just lame.
But whatever man, don’t worry about others opinions.
Try em, report back.
Im not even vegan.

kenjiro

« Reply #1413 on: November 15, 2021, 02:09:37 PM »
Can a vegan explain to me the benefit of choosing a vegan suede shoe? Vegan = save animals. Ok i get that. But vegan suede uses plastic. Is that really any better? One evil to fight another. Cariuma wants you to think that you’re making an ethical choice when you’re not. You won’t stop climate change by skating cariuma. if vegan truly cared for the change they’d skate canvas shoes. plain and simple.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1414 on: November 15, 2021, 02:17:59 PM »
The answer to your question appears several times throughout the pages of this thread, but good for you for ignoring all that and coming in hot with your “gotcha” question (but be at peace, you’re not the first to do it and won’t be the last). There is no one single “vegan” answer. Some vegans do it for the environment, others dgaf about the environment and solely do it for the animals so the plastic part is irrelevant.
Moreover, many companies like adidas and Nike are using recycled plastics to create their synthetic uppers, so it’s not all doom and gloom for the vegan shoes as you propose it is.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1415 on: November 15, 2021, 02:22:40 PM »
I mean there’s 48 pages for you to wade through, but what makes you think leather (or even (non-organic) canvas for that matter) is good for the environment?
If a pair of synth shoes can outlast 2 pairs of canvas that’s a win in my book. I’d also prefer if companies used more sustainable materials like hemp or biodegradable microfiber, but the market isn’t big enough for them to be putting their resources into those materials (yet) because most skaters are stuck in the “suede is the best material ever” mindset. If you buy non-animal alternatives though, it shows that the demand is there.
If cariuma are using recycled plastic materials to make their suede, then hey, that’s a step in the right direction.
Vegans are far from prefect, but before you criticize, ask yourself what you are doing for the planet and the animals…
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:38:36 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1416 on: November 15, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »
Can a vegan explain to me the benefit of choosing a vegan suede shoe? Vegan = save animals. Ok i get that. But vegan suede uses plastic. Is that really any better? One evil to fight another. Cariuma wants you to think that you’re making an ethical choice when you’re not. You won’t stop climate change by skating cariuma. if vegan truly cared for the change they’d skate canvas shoes. plain and simple.

bro fuck off, plain and simple. don't come into threads to stir shit up, then answer your own fucking question. this also coming from a non vegan who is annoyed with dipshits like you.

you can start your own fucking thread about it if you want, fucko. but please don't, actually.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1417 on: November 15, 2021, 04:31:16 PM »
Is it stupid that I kind of like those velvet Vans???
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1418 on: November 15, 2021, 11:35:37 PM »
kind of, I could imagine the velvet disintegrating very quickly. What about those new vans wayvees that are coming out for Dustin Henry that look synth? We need the lowdown on them…

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1419 on: November 16, 2021, 04:48:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
kind of, I could imagine the velvet disintegrating very quickly. What about those new vans wayvees that are coming out for Dustin Henry that look synth? We need the lowdown on them…

I will make some inquiries
Cocteau Twins

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1420 on: November 16, 2021, 05:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I will make some inquiries
I think those are real leather with a textured effect on the outside.  On most of the super-zoom type photos you can see it looks like genuine leather.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1421 on: November 16, 2021, 06:38:19 AM »
↑ yeah I did some detective work on them this afternoon too and I agree with your conclusion… which is a really pity because I’ve haven’t seen anything from vans in years that I liked the look of and yet I actually thought they looked kinda cool!

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1422 on: November 16, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
↑ yeah I did some detective work on them this afternoon too and I agree with your conclusion… which is a really pity because I’ve haven’t seen anything from vans in years that I liked the look of and yet I actually thought they looked kinda cool!

Same, I tried to get through to a human with Vans Customer Service phone number, no dice. Tried emailing them and you need an order number to even submit a question.  :-\ Not a very transparent company.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1423 on: November 16, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, I tried to get through to a human with Vans Customer Service phone number, no dice. Tried emailing them and you need an order number to even submit a question.  :-\ Not a very transparent company.

this was whack enough that i decided to try anyway & looks like you can just enter any old numbers (123456789 for me) and it'll let it slide. we'll see if i hear back tho

update: i got hit with the boilerplate "Thank you for contacting Vans! Unfortunately when it comes to leather and suede, we cannot guarantee these are vegan-certified.
Please let us know if you have any other questions."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 11:17:55 AM by iw0 »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1424 on: November 17, 2021, 02:42:45 PM »
new 420s out now!  Not a huge fan of the halloween colorway, but I like that speckled sole

https://shop.atlasskateboarding.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/new-balance-nm420cha

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1425 on: November 17, 2021, 09:02:14 PM »
420s are always a good option, I’ll probably cop another pair down the line!

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1426 on: November 27, 2021, 03:23:13 PM »
new Adidas X Paradigm Gazelles in an all-black synthetic Primeblue upper. From the promo materials:
"the Gazelle ADV by Paradigm, anchors the collection with sustainability in mind. Adopting a 1970s aesthetic with a classic feel, the footwear arrives with an efficient pattern design on the synthetic upper, giving the square edges across the t-toe, tongue and heel counter, while reducing wasted material."
“I’m excited to partner with adidas Skateboarding to bring this important project on sustainability to life,” says Paradigm founder Theo Constantinou. “My hope through this collaboration is to inspire and encourage others to make tangible lifestyle changes to help solve the impact of climate change.”
Says they release on December 18th but have already started popping up at some shops (like Labor in NYC)

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1427 on: November 28, 2021, 05:42:59 AM »
^ Those look pretty sick.

Has anyone skated the Majik by Axion? They're reminiscent of the Project BA, which I enjoyed before giving up leather shoes. The black colorway is on sale right now for $29.99 when added to cart on Zumiez:

https://www.zumiez.com/axion-majik-black-ice-skate-shoes.html
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1428 on: November 28, 2021, 06:11:59 AM »
Finally someone brought their vegan materials over to the skate line, good job!

@PuffinMuffin  i was contemplating a pair for a while, no idea on the sizing though and they cost an arm and a leg here in Japan… the black ones with the blue sole though!!!

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1429 on: November 28, 2021, 11:18:26 PM »
I scooped some Ever Stitches for $45

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1430 on: November 29, 2021, 01:04:30 AM »
@MysticalTypeExperience and you’re going to love them, great shoe and one of the best current outsoles in the game! I wonder if the ever-stitch ones have tongue straps? My future suede ones don’t have the extra heel cup and also have no tongue straps…

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1431 on: December 07, 2021, 09:01:39 AM »
Christmas came earlier :) This was the first time I acted like a real consumer and don't regret it at all. I bought the vegan Joslin and Marana on the black friday with a great discount (for europe, in the usa everything is always way cheaper). I have never worn etnies before, only emerica and es but sole tech has perfect sizing for me. I am 8 in their shoe but in other brands like vans or huf i rearly have something that is so good on my feet. The first impressions are that the joslin is more comfortable. It just hugs my foot super well and i feel a lot stable in them. The other people have said that the marana sometimes slips from the foot and i feel it this way. They just have lower profile around the ankle, but the silhoette and the black colour are more appealing to my liking. Anyways, i will probably save them and will start sk8ing them next summer so then will be the real test :)

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1432 on: December 07, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
Christmas came earlier :) This was the first time I acted like a real consumer and don't regret it at all. I bought the vegan Joslin and Marana on the black friday with a great discount (for europe, in the usa everything is always way cheaper). I have never worn etnies before, only emerica and es but sole tech has perfect sizing for me. I am 8 in their shoe but in other brands i rearly have something that is so good on my feet. (they are either big or a bit tight). The first impressions are that the joslin is more comfortable. It just hugs my foot super well and i feel a lot stable in them. The other people have said that the marana sometimes slips from the foot and i feel it this way. They just have lower profile around the ankle, but the silhoette and the black colour are more appealing to my liking. Anyways, i will probably save them and will start sk8ing them next summer so then will be the real test :)

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1433 on: December 17, 2021, 01:23:16 AM »
new Adidas X Paradigm Gazelles in an all-black synthetic Primeblue upper

and sold out within half a second which is a bummer. I can't see myself wearing 99% of the shoes on the market, so a vegan gazelle is a the most perfect shoe I can imagine.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1434 on: December 17, 2021, 04:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote
new Adidas X Paradigm Gazelles in an all-black synthetic Primeblue upper

[close]

and sold out within half a second which is a bummer. I can't see myself wearing 99% of the shoes on the market, so a vegan gazelle is a the most perfect shoe I can imagine.
Laborskateshop.com still has a full size run.  Def go one full size up, these run super small.  I have a size 12 I need to resell because I needed a 13 instead and Labor won’t do returns on online orders.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1435 on: December 17, 2021, 06:52:53 AM »
Damn, full size up huh? Gunna be hard to find a n 11 in Japan …

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1436 on: December 17, 2021, 07:44:00 AM »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1437 on: December 17, 2021, 07:45:56 AM »
Damn, full size up huh? Gunna be hard to find a n 11 in Japan …
Might be able to get away with half size up, but for me it was a full size.  If there was a 12.75 that would probably be perfect. The insoles in these is absurdly thin, so i'll be replacing those with something a little more substantial and that'll make the 13s fit perfect.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1438 on: December 24, 2021, 07:42:35 AM »
Expand Quote
We've got the Summer Green collection which is vegan.

Also updated our vegan page which now has 16 vegan colorways. https://emerica.com/collections/vegan

Next month we've got new vegan colorwyas dropping of The Temple, Dickson, and Wino G6 slip.
[close]

So sick. Does the Dickson have the same rubber toe and heel as the current vegan version? Any hints at colorway?

I'm sure this has been answered previously in this thread, but does anybody skate these?  I was thinking about picking up a pair... i haven't worn Emerica's since the barrier kult shoe (which i loved), but I'm usually a Vans guy and was thinking about trying these.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1439 on: December 26, 2021, 05:58:01 AM »

Take my money