Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171734 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1440 on: December 26, 2021, 06:14:13 AM »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1441 on: December 26, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Take my money
[close]

sick shoe

Hell yeah! I love a good white shoe!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1442 on: December 28, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1443 on: December 28, 2021, 10:09:06 PM »

That’s a decent colorway of the Marana.

I also came across these from @kneebone ’s Caspian post:

Should probably be available sooner than the Caspian if these are spring 2022. Nice colorway, vegan and eco conscious recycled materials. I haven’t had any of the Accel Plus or Everstitch shoes so far but I’m gonna get these if they’ll be available Europe.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1444 on: December 28, 2021, 11:38:55 PM »
Yeah the recycled pack looks dope, like the color way of the cykle too!

Who is this guy though? Their sales rep?
He’s dropping upcoming season pics like it’s going out of fashion …

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1445 on: December 29, 2021, 01:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Take my money
[close]

sick shoe
[close]

These are really looking promising. Hope they will not be too expensive and hold up well.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1446 on: December 29, 2021, 06:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Take my money
[close]

sick shoe
[close]

[close]

These are really looking promising. Hope they will not be too expensive and hold up well.

only thing i dislike is the chuck like outsole. would have liked something like a slim cup instead. but still cool.

vegangangzta

« Reply #1447 on: December 29, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »
I bought the adidas. Had a 20% coupon code to use.

I’m not big on slim shoes these days. I usually stick with puffier stuff like es Quattro but these are chill

They are absolutely true to size. I wear 11 in most (11.5 for puffy Es and Etnies) they also are fine with people with wide feet. Mine can move and don’t feel constricted. I had some of those adidas 3MC and those were way too narrow. Here’s a pic

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1448 on: December 29, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
Yeah the recycled pack looks dope, like the color way of the cykle too!

Who is this guy though? Their sales rep?
He’s dropping upcoming season pics like it’s going out of fashion …

Looks like he removed all the posts or went private or something as the links don’t show up anymore.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1449 on: December 29, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »
@MysticalTypeExperience and you’re going to love them, great shoe and one of the best current outsoles in the game! I wonder if the ever-stitch ones have tongue straps? My future suede ones don’t have the extra heel cup and also have no tongue straps…

They don't have tongue straps. If I'm being honest they're just alright. The construction seems good although part of the rubber toe cap is already delaminating after a few sessions. My biggest problem is that the toe box kills my pinky toe. I have wide feet though and this problem is rampant with most skate shoes.

I have some vegan Fallen Patriots coming (and non vegan Chris Cole Troopers). But they look so damn good I might not even skate them. Definitely not the Coles at least. Still have 2 pairs of Etnies Maranas, the Accel Plus Everstitches and a full tube of shoe goo to run through first.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1450 on: December 29, 2021, 06:37:00 PM »

I’m not big on slim shoes these days. I usually stick with puffier stuff like es Quattro but these are chill

They are absolutely true to size. I wear 11 in most (11.5 for puffy Es and Etnies) they also are fine with people with wide feet. Mine can move and don’t feel constricted. I had some of those adidas 3MC and those were way too narrow. Here’s a pic

What shoes is this. I dig it & looks good .

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1451 on: December 29, 2021, 06:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think those are adidas gazelles in vegan leather.

vegangangzta

« Reply #1452 on: December 29, 2021, 09:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

i think those are adidas gazelles in vegan leather.

Yep

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1453 on: January 03, 2022, 06:04:09 PM »
Got my vegan strapped Fallen Patriots in today. Don't want to jinx this but out of the box these could be the best pair of skate shoes I've ever had. The toe box (size 12) is probably the widest of any skate shoe I've ever had in my life which is amazing. I'll update with more thoughts and photos after I break them in a little. Honestly though I bought them for the nostalgia and aesthetics so I won't be skating them.

Also got a pair of non-vegan Chris Cole beige/black/red Troopers. Again, build quality feels incredible. The toe box on these isn't as wide as the Patriots though. The toes also feel a bit stiffer and will need breaking in. Again, not skating these either, but they seem like they would be incredible riding shoes.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1454 on: January 03, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
I got the black/gum Fallen Patriots with the straps and they are really good. Much better than I expected. Skated them for an hour and there is no visible wear.

Sole is medium thick I'd say. Not as thick as SB Dunks (I haven't had any of the newer dunks with the new sole, I don't know if those are thinner than the old ones) but thicker than my New Balance 874s.

The tongue is actually very thin, thinner than a SB Dunk High. Because of that, if I actually use the strap it hurts the top of my foot. Strap is removeable. No lace protection or spare laces. Otherwise, great shoe so far. Very grippy and they look great.

user18081971

« Reply #1455 on: January 03, 2022, 08:02:45 PM »
Are the Jameson eco models good? I think they only make them in canvas and twill (except they use synthetic on the tongues for some reason?) and they’re pretty ugly but the black/white look decent enough.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: January 04, 2022, 02:33:24 AM »
Are the Jameson eco models good? I think they only make them in canvas and twill (except they use synthetic on the tongues for some reason?) and they’re pretty ugly but the black/white look decent enough.

At least some of them have felt on the soles so they can be imported to the US as slippers and pay less tax. This is the case even if you buy them in Europe. This makes them dangerously slippery. Other than that I couldn’t really say as I put my pair back in the box to wait for the future as I wasn’t all that excited about them due to the stupid felt.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1457 on: January 05, 2022, 03:37:07 AM »
I noticed some Vans skate hi all canvas white, worth trying out ??
Cocteau Twins

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1458 on: January 14, 2022, 09:08:55 PM »
please pardon the digression...  anyone who lives in a place that gets cold in the winter: any vegan boot recommendations?

(vans, es, and dc have some insulated/waterproof shoes/boots, but none seem to be vegan.  cariuma has a couple, but i'm hoping there are better options.  i know about will's vegan and vegetarian shoes, but i haven't had great luck with them so far.)

user18081971

« Reply #1459 on: January 15, 2022, 12:11:54 AM »
maybe docs or solovairs? They have different styles available that are vegan.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1460 on: January 15, 2022, 12:14:56 AM »
i'd check columbia or north face for a hiking or trail boot. both offer a bunch of synthetic models.

if you just want a basic boot, solovair also has black offerings of the og docs in vegan leather. blundstone also has vegan options like this one:

https://blundstone.de/collections/herren/products/blundstone-2115-black

it's funny i'm just seeing the dude in the second pic is sitting on a skateboard, as if those shoes were any good to skate XD

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: January 15, 2022, 05:49:17 AM »
Controversial brand perhaps (because the rest of their shoes look like absolute shit!), but someone years ago recommended these plus thick socks for the cold weather and I’ve never looked back. The sock liner/ booty thing keeps your feet so warm!
They actually have some cool color ways and have always been “beast free” as they put it:

https://www.nativeshoes.com/fitzsimmons/31100600LC.html

If you want high-end though go brave gentleman
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:13:56 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1462 on: January 15, 2022, 08:37:12 AM »
Controversial brand perhaps (because the rest of their shoes look like absolute shit!, but someone years ago recommended these plus thick socks for the cold weather and I’ve never looked back. The sock liner/ booty thing keeps your feet so warm!
They actually have some cool color ways and have always been “beast free” as they put it:

https://www.nativeshoes.com/fitzsimmons/31100600LC.html

If you want high-end though go brave gentleman

The site only displays the shoes for sale with a VPN set to Japan.  :(

Since I'm posting I should probably add something useful. The Etnies Windrow Vulc x Sheep in size 9 are on sale here for cheapest they've been sold: https://nineoneskateco.com/products/etnies-windrow-vulc-x-sheep Best recent vegan shoe in my opinion.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1463 on: January 16, 2022, 09:31:40 PM »
https://sneakerwars.jp/items/view/15798
Not skate shoes, but new balance is about to drop these bad boys

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: January 18, 2022, 05:46:25 AM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #1465 on: January 18, 2022, 06:04:33 AM »
If the heel up fiits me I’ll probably cop. It’s smashing all my aesthetic/nostalgic buttons
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1466 on: January 18, 2022, 06:47:58 AM »
Can't wait til three weeks from now when we're all in here posting our heel blister photos from those LRABs

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1467 on: January 18, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »
https://sneakerwars.jp/items/view/15798
Not skate shoes, but new balance is about to drop these bad boys
This model combined with that american flag label on the tongue give me strong "thin blue line" vibes.  Hard pass.  But NB is developing other classics and specifically labeling them vegan, so that's cool:
https://www.endclothing.com/us/new-balance-u574vs2-vegan-leather-u574vs2.html
https://www.endclothing.com/us/new-balance-u574sq2-vegan-leather-u574sq2.html

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1468 on: January 18, 2022, 08:17:10 PM »
Question for the older heads, if this hasn't already been addressed before.

I was taking a look through some old CCS catalogs that another Pal generously scanned and the shoe selections had me wondering. The widespread prevalence of synth models, particularly with synthetic uppers, or "all synthetic materials", in the  early 2000s was a little surprising to see. Besides maybe DC, DVS, and Lakai, most brands had an extensive array of synth offerings. I was curious as to why it seems the industry shifted away so drastically from synthetic materials. Were they that inferior to animal leather and suede? Did the use of synths hinder profit margins? And what do you think it would take for the footwear market to get back to that point; or are we so far into the adoption of animal-based construction that vegan shoes will forever be a market niche?   

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1469 on: January 18, 2022, 09:14:39 PM »
Question for the older heads, if this hasn't already been addressed before.

I was taking a look through some old CCS catalogs that another Pal generously scanned and the shoe selections had me wondering. The widespread prevalence of synth models, particularly with synthetic uppers, or "all synthetic materials", in the  early 2000s was a little surprising to see. Besides maybe DC, DVS, and Lakai, most brands had an extensive array of synth offerings. I was curious as to why it seems the industry shifted away so drastically from synthetic materials. Were they that inferior to animal leather and suede? Did the use of synths hinder profit margins? And what do you think it would take for the footwear market to get back to that point; or are we so far into the adoption of animal-based construction that vegan shoes will forever be a market niche?

i blame the shift to low tech/vulc. i remember skating a lot of synthetic models back in the day, they skated just like any other puffy shoe back then to me. plenty shoes made from synthetic nubuk for example, which looked absolutely shitty when you skated it, but worked just like leather for me. then with shoes becoming more stripped down it was pretty much canvas or leather.

in the tech days shoes were generally more expensive, but also lasted a bit longer. so maybe since the price cap was higher there was more room for synthetic models. then the market shifted to cheaper vulcs that get skated for a shorter amount of time. like you would skate that fat dc shoe for two or even three months, but then in the late 00s, everyone wanted to skate cheap vulcs again that just last a month as long as they were cheap and had good boardfeel. and i guess for a price/performance ratio that most customers want synthetic is probably too expensive for most companies to use. probably doesn't scale as well if you produce higher numbers of a shoe, too.

this is just me guessing tho.