Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171648 times)

Pasta Monster

Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1830 on: March 25, 2023, 06:03:08 AM »
https://www.adidas.com/us/atlas-forum-adv-shoes/HQ6996.html

Synthetic upper

Atlas:
Our collaborative shoe features a clean court-inspired white upper constructed using a well-considered blend of tumbled and synthetic leathers.

Adidas employee confirmed it’s vegan:

Atlas has listed vegan products like NB#420 as suede in the past. I understand that the people who were involved in the design process are different from whoever types the descriptions, but I’m somewhat skeptical. I’ve been wanting to get a pair of Forum Low ADVs so badly, though. Maybe, someone has seen them in person and can confirm?

Edit: It looks like it’s probably vegan. It may be a typo because shops that copy/pasted Atlas’ description say, “tumbled and synthetic leathers,” while some shops say, “tumbled synthetic leather.”
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:10:57 AM by chronicbackpain »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1831 on: March 25, 2023, 06:31:31 AM »
Get our boy @Sk.A.T.A.N on the case to confirm!

Speaking of adidas:

Wish they go give some reinforcements around the high west areas though…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1832 on: March 25, 2023, 06:35:19 AM »
I think those are just black Primeknits. There was a white one that released like two years ago, but I’m pretty sure they’re just chillers. It’s cool how they’re made with plastic trash.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1833 on: March 25, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
Spanly KSLs in all black synth yo!
Currently skating them and they're perfect
Cocteau Twins

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1834 on: March 25, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »
"Leather on the Swoosh and heel tab adds a premium touch."
Thank you @jkadams, I've modified my original post. I should've paid more attention to detail

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1835 on: March 25, 2023, 10:35:22 AM »
I think those are just black Primeknits. There was a white one that released like two years ago, but I’m pretty sure they’re just chillers. It’s cool how they’re made with plastic trash.
Yeah, I have the white ones and they are definitely not skate-able. Basically a sock on a rubber outsole. Super comfortable as summer chillers, but not for skating. Someone posted an ebay sample a few weeks back of a 3M material Puig that looked like it was probably vegan-friendly, but I don't think those ever came to fruition as a general release. Maybe forthcoming still?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1836 on: March 25, 2023, 10:45:14 AM »

Atlas:
Expand Quote
Our collaborative shoe features a clean court-inspired white upper constructed using a well-considered blend of tumbled and synthetic leathers.
[close]

Adidas employee confirmed it’s vegan:

Atlas has listed vegan products like NB#420 as suede in the past. I understand that the people who were involved in the design process are different from whoever types the descriptions, but I’m somewhat skeptical. I’ve been wanting to get a pair of Forum Low ADVs so badly, though. Maybe, someone has seen them in person and can confirm?

Edit: It looks like it’s probably vegan. It may be a typo because shops that copy/pasted Atlas’ description say, “tumbled and synthetic leathers,” while some shops say, “tumbled synthetic leather.”

Looking at the super zoomed-in pics on Premier, these definitely look like animal leather.
https://thepremierstore.com/products/atlas-x-adidas-forum-adv?_pos=27&_fid=7fc10905b&_ss=c&variant=40396366282817

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1837 on: March 25, 2023, 11:39:22 AM »
^
Yeah, the front looks like synthetic but the back portion looks like tumbled leather, so Atlas got it right, and Adidas got it wrong.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1838 on: March 29, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
Those hemp half cabs are now out in three colors (olive, black, and white) under the Vault line. They have VR3 in the title, so hopefully they have the nice removable VR3 insole. The tongue zipper kina ruins it for me tho... Also $155

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1839 on: March 29, 2023, 03:55:44 PM »
The tongue zipper kina ruins it for me tho...
You had one job to do vans and you fucked it up…
Looks like I’ll go with my original plan: 440s in the summer and black Crocketts in the winter!

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1840 on: March 29, 2023, 05:03:16 PM »
Those hemp half cabs are now out in three colors (olive, black, and white) under the Vault line. They have VR3 in the title, so hopefully they have the nice removable VR3 insole. The tongue zipper kina ruins it for me tho... Also $155

$155 for Half Cabs is ridiculous. They can never get it right.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #1841 on: March 30, 2023, 11:00:27 AM »
so the canvas one star pros have a leather tab on the back?

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1842 on: March 30, 2023, 11:25:01 AM »
Yes, they have a vertical suede tab on the heel of the shoe, and the star may be suede as well. The CTAS Mids from that Cordura pack don’t have any suede or leather, though.

You’re better off looking at LRAB VM001 because the adhesives have been confirmed to be water-based. Otherwise, Emerica/Etnies/eS can provide options, if you’re open to other silhouettes. I’ve been ignored every time I reached out to Nike or Converse about adhesives, but some people have gotten confirmation through reps.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1843 on: March 30, 2023, 11:48:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes, they have a vertical suede tab on the heel of the shoe, and the star may be suede as well. The CTAS Mids from that Cordura pack don’t have any suede or leather, though.

You’re better off looking at LRAB VM001 because the adhesives have been confirmed to be water-based. Otherwise, Emerica/Etnies/eS can provide options, if you’re open to other silhouettes. I’ve been ignored every time I reached out to Nike or Converse about adhesives, but some people have gotten confirmation through reps.

Thanks for this. Shame its such a nice looking shoe - was going to use them as chillers, I can only skate cupsoles (thanks sole tech!)

ClaySoggyfries

• Rep: 1
  • @clay_soggyfries on IG
    • Soundcloud avatar image
« Reply #1844 on: March 30, 2023, 01:56:08 PM »
Cariumas are the best vegan skate shoes and potentially the greatest skate shoe of all time.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1845 on: March 30, 2023, 04:12:44 PM »
Cariumas are the best vegan skate shoes and potentially the greatest skate shoe of all time.
😂🫠

Fakie Manuel

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1846 on: April 04, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »
Has anyone tried any of the Fallen vegan shoes? What are your thoughts? The Ripper (Chris Cole) shoes are on sale, limited sizes though.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1847 on: April 04, 2023, 06:24:07 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the Fallen vegan shoes? What are your thoughts? The Ripper (Chris Cole) shoes are on sale, limited sizes though.
I had a pair when I went vegan 14 years ago maybe with some good insoles they would be  skatable.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1848 on: April 07, 2023, 11:54:46 PM »
list your other top 5 skate shoes so I know you’re not trolling!

Not sure how I feel about fallen in 2023, but at least they have options!

Has anyone seen these in the flesh?
I know other color ways are suede but these ones look synth… not sure I trust DC with any description of their materials tho
https://super-shop.com/i325755-dc-dc-metric-shoes-black-black-gum
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 02:03:31 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1849 on: April 09, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »

I got the vegan Patriots with the straps and really like them, though I haven't skated them much. Sole feels really good, decently padded. The synthetic nubuck is good and doesn't show any wear from the couple of sessions I had.

The tongue centering strap ripped off one shoe and the strap irritates my shin if I actually strap it down. I think they didn't consider how it would work with such a thin tongue on this update of the shoe lol.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1850 on: April 10, 2023, 09:23:34 AM »
So I took the plunge on the Vault hemp Half Cabs and I'm really glad that I did. Extremely reminiscent of the Syndicate hemp ones from a while ago. These have a thick, removable VR3 insole so the sizing is very similar to any of the Skate line (typically Vault sizing is a little different and I go a size up, but for these I went TTS, glad I did). I was also able to remove the tongue zipper pretty easily. Also replaced the stock round laces with some spare ones from LRAB which worked out perfectly because they match the off-white lining and outsole

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1851 on: April 10, 2023, 09:03:04 PM »
@kneebone great job, how did you get the zippers out? those laces look dope in there too! You're almost calling me over to the dark side (of vulc shoes)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1852 on: April 11, 2023, 01:36:00 AM »
Those hemp Half Cabs look cool. I don’t understand Vans. Why can’t they make such in the skate line of shoes? Do they not like money? I’m fairly certain a big portion of vegans would be stoked to get some vegan classic Vans.

On a slightly different note: has anyone skated the vegan éS Swift 1.5? I quite like the green and burgundy ones that are available now. I have one pair of vegan Accel Slims and I’ve only skated them briefly. Otherwise I’ve just walked around in them. I’m not sure how I feel about them. They look fine but they do feel a tad bit thin maybe. Toe is a bit narrow too and the synth material doesn’t seem to stretch that well.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1853 on: April 11, 2023, 02:45:14 AM »
On a slightly different note: has anyone skated the vegan éS Swift 1.5? I quite like the green and burgundy ones that are available now. I have one pair of vegan Accel Slims and I’ve only skated them briefly. Otherwise I’ve just walked around in them. I’m not sure how I feel about them. They look fine but they do feel a tad bit thin maybe. Toe is a bit narrow too and the synth material doesn’t seem to stretch that well.

I got the Swift a couple of month ago. Skated it a while, and actually really liked it. Till I landed primo once. It hurt.
Super nice boardfeel overall but the sole is really thin. Skated the emerica quentin after that, till my foot was fine again and the shoe was pretty much done. Got back to the swift as it had a little bit of life in it and I didn't wanna waste it.
Have another quentin and the spanky lined up.

PS: I am not really sure if the burgundy and green ones are actually vegan, although they are listed in the vegan collection. Especially the green ones say: Environmentally and socially conscious suede sourcing
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 02:54:21 AM by sebbo »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1854 on: April 11, 2023, 04:25:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got the Swift a couple of month ago. Skated it a while, and actually really liked it. Till I landed primo once. It hurt.
Super nice boardfeel overall but the sole is really thin. Skated the emerica quentin after that, till my foot was fine again and the shoe was pretty much done. Got back to the swift as it had a little bit of life in it and I didn't wanna waste it.

PS: I am not really sure if the burgundy and green ones are actually vegan, although they are listed in the vegan collection. Especially the green ones say: Environmentally and socially conscious suede sourcing

Thanks for the mini review and the info. I didn’t notice that the green ones might not actually be vegan. I don’t understand why these companies keep fucking up with simple things like this. It really shouldn’t be so difficult.

Oh well, I guess I’ll save my money then. I have enough shoes to last me years anyway.  :-X

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: April 11, 2023, 06:13:06 AM »
Burgundy are vegan, eco friendly green ones aren’t, but use recycled suede which is better than nothing I guess. Swift 1.5 outsole is my fav from eS, not as thin as the accel slim, but breaks in instantly! They need to do more work on their uppers though tbh, don’t feel as tech as they did back in the day! Emerica spanly is still my fav vegan cup atm!!!

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1856 on: April 11, 2023, 08:09:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those emerica quentins really had a sweet spot when broken in, I skated two pairs and wish I would have stacked more when they were like 30$.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1857 on: April 11, 2023, 08:17:33 AM »

Those emerica quentins really had a sweet spot when broken in, I skated two pairs and wish I would have stacked more when they were like 30$.

got 2 pairs for 45€ each. It is actually pretty similar to the spanky, which I got for 60€.

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1858 on: April 13, 2023, 01:13:22 PM »
nike has custom non-sb dunk with canvas options.  price is too high, but not a lot of vegan high-top cupsoles out there. 
https://www.nike.com/u/custom-nike-dunk-high-by-you-shoes-10001516/5522352760

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: April 18, 2023, 01:50:41 PM »
Converse has some new One Stars where it looks like they actually didn't fuck it up with nonfunctional leather/suede (there are all "pro" models, so they're in the skate-specific line)  :
off-white herringbone canvas: https://www.converse.com/shop/p/one-star-pro-herringbone-skate-shoe/A03663C.html?dwvar_A03663C_color=soft%20dune%2Fegret&styleNo=A03663C&cgid=skate-performance-shoes

Denim ones available in blue or black https://www.converse.com/shop/p/one-star-pro-denim-skate-shoe/A04149MP.html?pid=A04149MP&dwvar_A04149MP_color=midnight%20navy%2Fmidnight%20navy&dwvar_A04148C_width=standard&styleNo=A04149C&pdp=true&cgid=skate-performance-shoes&vgid=A04148C

and finally these olive "heavy canvas" ones. Description says "rubber backed canvas" but can't confirm what the white star  material is...on other models that has been suede or leather
https://www.converse.com/shop/p/cons-one-star-pro-heavyweight-canvas-skate-shoe/A05093C.html?dwvar_A05093C_color=utility%2Fegret%2Fblack&styleNo=A05093C&cgid=skate-performance-shoes
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:14:02 PM by kneebone »