Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171908 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #2040 on: January 05, 2024, 01:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Ohhh nice. Kind of strange NB wouldn’t call them out as vegan on their own site? Maybe it’s a copy/paste product description for now ?
[close]
I think there's some super technical reason why we can't actually claim them to be 100% vegan but they are all synthetic and vegan for all intents.  I believe the oil that is used in the machines that make the fabric technically could have had some sort of animal byproduct in them and could touch the shoe...but when it comes to marketing it and calling that out we have to just say synthetic and not Vegan.  The legal dept sometimes makes things difficult...ha.
Found that explanation from rothdigga^

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2041 on: January 05, 2024, 02:50:03 PM »
this one really burns. I've been wanting a vegan-friendly Crockett low forever, and here's a new all-textile upper except the jazz stripe is leather

"made with corduroy and 10 oz canvas uppers. Leather accents offer an elevated aesthetic"
https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/gilbert-crockett-corduroy--shoe-pvn0a5jifbiq
what happened to the all black vegan high top verison that was supposed to drop?

Tried skating my 440s on NYE (they are 0.5 size up) and they did NOT work at all so I’m kinda worried what I’ll do without my trusty KSLs once my stock dries up…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hayduke lives

• Rep: 40
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 05:57:28 PM by hayduke lives »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2043 on: January 08, 2024, 01:44:41 PM »
There's a whole lot of Rowley debate in the lame ig thread, but one thing is sure: that first shoe is undeniably great. Sure looks like this newest colorway is all synthetic (the white backing along the edges of the black synth is usually the giveaway), but no confirmation.

You can get all super-zoomy at the product link here: https://www.561skateboarding.com/products/vans-skate-rowley-black-pewter?variant=44887800512752

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2044 on: January 09, 2024, 02:46:18 AM »
There's a whole lot of Rowley debate in the lame ig thread, but one thing is sure: that first shoe is undeniably great. Sure looks like this newest colorway is all synthetic (the white backing along the edges of the black synth is usually the giveaway), but no confirmation.

You can get all super-zoomy at the product link here: https://www.561skateboarding.com/products/vans-skate-rowley-black-pewter?variant=44887800512752

That's a good colourway, too.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2045 on: January 09, 2024, 03:01:33 AM »
@kneebone nice find, and yes, nice colorway!
Ended up copping some of the emerica Leo’s with the new heel pad, sizing and fit it pretty much perfect for my foot size/ shape

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2046 on: January 09, 2024, 06:19:17 AM »
Ended up copping some of the emerica Leo’s with the new heel pad, sizing and fit it pretty much perfect for my foot size/ shape
Did you ever have any pairs pre-heel pad? I'm wondering how much of a difference it really makes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2047 on: January 09, 2024, 02:03:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did you ever have any pairs pre-heel pad? I'm wondering how much of a difference it really makes
no I didn’t, but there is no rubbing feeling whatsoever … maybe I could have rocked the OG ones too? Either way, nice thin cupsole with clean look and non-gaudy colorway

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2048 on: January 13, 2024, 02:27:26 PM »

I took a chance on these and they came today and appear to be vegan. The hashtag looking symbol means textile and the diamond means “other man made material” according to the internet.

It feels more like the old synthetic nubuck from the glory days of vegan skate shoes (templetons, the first run of Rowleys, etc) than the felt-ish synth suede that vegan NB# 440 and vegan Es are currently made out of.

Very curious to see how the flick feels and what the durability is like. I can’t really remember from back then.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2049 on: January 14, 2024, 03:11:52 AM »
Yeah, those tongue symbols Defs indicate that it doesn’t contain animal products, good find!
Don’t think I could rock vulcs in 2024 but if I could those would be a great option

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2050 on: January 18, 2024, 10:38:29 AM »
Wow, NJ Skateshop has the orchard x NE revolution sambas for an add'l 50% of, which brings the final price down to $30! You should also be able to combo it with code 'freeship' for free shipping
https://njskateshop.com/collections/sale/products/adidas-orchard-x-new-england-revolution-samba-adv-night-indigo-night-indigo-silver-metallic?variant=41099545968674

Edit: someone from NJ might be reading the forum (hi Bill?)...they bumped up the price on the sambas from $60 to $80, so now they're $40 with the 50% of
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 01:50:48 PM by kneebone »

Kaezan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2051 on: January 22, 2024, 06:38:16 AM »
I usually buy shoes from Sole Tech, but have been having a hard time finding vegan ones for good price.

Es was the best for this for past couple years. I prefer cupsole shoes, and they have been offering vegan styles in cupsoles... but looks like they have stopped? Only vegan options I see are old styles with only a couple sizes available. Etnies and Emerica usually only have the vulcanized options, which I'm not a big fan of.

I'm really picky about shoes as well... I really don't like Vans textile type shoes. I like the fake suede/leather types.

Has anyone tried these Silo SC before?
https://esskateboarding.com/products/silo-sc-grey-navy-5101000180-080

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2052 on: January 22, 2024, 08:27:39 AM »
I usually buy shoes from Sole Tech, but have been having a hard time finding vegan ones for good price.

Es was the best for this for past couple years. I prefer cupsole shoes, and they have been offering vegan styles in cupsoles... but looks like they have stopped? Only vegan options I see are old styles with only a couple sizes available. Etnies and Emerica usually only have the vulcanized options, which I'm not a big fan of.

I'm really picky about shoes as well... I really don't like Vans textile type shoes. I like the fake suede/leather types.

I too, am going to be the similar boat to you soon. Thankfully I had some Accel Plus's I bought some time ago and haven't been going through many daps like I usually do. But when that proverbial well dries up I'll be scouring eBay again haha.

The Silo SC was a good shoe I thought. I had the 'K1' white/navy/yellow colourway and they skated pretty well. It shares the same sole as the Quattro and the only downside is, it's definitely more on the 'thinner' side of cupsoles in terms of where the ball of your foot is. I often noticed it more as time went on, but it didn't really take away from the shoe overall, really.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2053 on: January 22, 2024, 08:36:21 AM »
Emerica currently has the Romero and the Figgy G6 as synthetic suede cupsoles, but I imagine it's the "for a good price" aspect that's holding you back on those. I don't blame you, I'm also waiting for those to hit the sale section before I pull the trigger

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2054 on: January 22, 2024, 10:17:56 AM »
Emerica currently has the Romero and the Figgy G6 as synthetic suede cupsoles, but I imagine it's the "for a good price" aspect that's holding you back on those. I don't blame you, I'm also waiting for those to hit the sale section before I pull the trigger
They’re [Figgy G6] $75, instead of $90, on Tactics. Using the 20% off code brings them down to $60. Not the best, but the only other vegan shoes cheaper than that, are probably canvas CTAS.

Even with the added heel cushioning, I’m skeptical about the Romeros. If they’re $20-40, I’ll definitely grab a pair. The Figgy G6 caught my eyes and I want to stock up on those when the price is right. However, I do want to see what colorway the vegan 440v2 is…hoping for blue or gray with black soles.

Kaezan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2055 on: January 22, 2024, 11:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I too, am going to be the similar boat to you soon. Thankfully I had some Accel Plus's I bought some time ago and haven't been going through many daps like I usually do. But when that proverbial well dries up I'll be scouring eBay again haha.

The Silo SC was a good shoe I thought. I had the 'K1' white/navy/yellow colourway and they skated pretty well. It shares the same sole as the Quattro and the only downside is, it's definitely more on the 'thinner' side of cupsoles in terms of where the ball of your foot is. I often noticed it more as time went on, but it didn't really take away from the shoe overall, really.

I bought 3 pairs of the vegan ACCEL OG last year which lasted me almost a year… they were on sale for $30+ free shipping. Then I got the Swift 1.5, and it’s basically on its last leg right now. My shoe goo is doing some major work keeping it alive.

I don’t like spending more than $40 on skate shoes because they get torn up right away, but may not have a choice soon. Think I'll give these Silo SC a try. May even order a couple since it looks like they are basically discontinued.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 11:21:10 AM by Kaezan »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2056 on: January 22, 2024, 02:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I took a chance on these and they came today and appear to be vegan. The hashtag looking symbol means textile and the diamond means “other man made material” according to the internet.

It feels more like the old synthetic nubuck from the glory days of vegan skate shoes (templetons, the first run of Rowleys, etc) than the felt-ish synth suede that vegan NB# 440 and vegan Es are currently made out of.

Very curious to see how the flick feels and what the durability is like. I can’t really remember from back then.
I got mine today too, and I was excited to see how these would be re-tooled with the "skate" construction and the PopCush insole (since I believe all prior reissues still had the classic glued-in thin insole like the original).  Anyhow, seems they didn't really change much at all, just threw the thick-ass insole in there, which makes the shoe feel way too cramped. Gonna need to find a middle-road insole to put in. I'm thinking the eS STI or emerica G6 insoles would be good.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2057 on: January 22, 2024, 11:26:00 PM »

Etnies was somewhat regularly offering any of these in vegan colorways.  All cups, btw

Marana
Josl1n/Joslin Pro (version before they retooled it slightly)
Windrow Cup

Hope they rotate those back in. I have some Vegan Joslins and I love how they feel on foot. Wanna skate them soon
Super Champion Fun Zone

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2058 on: January 24, 2024, 04:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They’re [Figgy G6] $75, instead of $90, on Tactics. Using the 20% off code brings them down to $60. Not the best, but the only other vegan shoes cheaper than that, are probably canvas CTAS.

Even with the added heel cushioning, I’m skeptical about the Romeros. If they’re $20-40, I’ll definitely grab a pair. The Figgy G6 caught my eyes and I want to stock up on those when the price is right. However, I do want to see what colorway the vegan 440v2 is…hoping for blue or gray with black soles.
I have some black spanlys, the new Leos and also some sand Quattros all on ice at the moment. If you are coming off a G6 outsole the laced are gunna feel pretty thin, I haven’t skated mine yet, but they’ll probs just be for chill skates (whatever that means as a 45 year old). I really wish they did the figgys in another colorway but that’s just me being fussy.
I have seen the new vegan 440, but it’s black! Not like the first model, and it also has some other subtle colors that make it pop nicely, but it’s Defs not blue or grey…

@kneebone vans are just outright lazy at this point and I doubt they’ll ever be able to win me back as a customer, what happened to the non-limited XLTs? They really could have cashed in on the hype after the Dime drop, but they just let it fizzle out…

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #2059 on: January 24, 2024, 08:34:17 AM »
Don't wish to derail here and it technically does in a way they're not skate shoes...

But when I actually go through what I have bought I might try out the vegan Reebok Club C's and come back here, to do a badly typed out review, filled with attempts at humour.

I just wish they had a black colourway, not so keen on all white shoes.

Has anyone bought any as chillers and/or skated them? They look pretty decent and the normal Club Cs have been skated by Lucien Clarke (and my mate Scott from 't town over),

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2060 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I have some black spanlys, the new Leos and also some sand Quattros all on ice at the moment. If you are coming off a G6 outsole the laced are gunna feel pretty thin, I haven’t skated mine yet, but they’ll probs just be for chill skates (whatever that means as a 45 year old). I really wish they did the figgys in another colorway but that’s just me being fussy.
I have seen the new vegan 440, but it’s black! Not like the first model, and it also has some other subtle colors that make it pop nicely, but it’s Defs not blue or grey…

@kneebone vans are just outright lazy at this point and I doubt they’ll ever be able to win me back as a customer, what happened to the non-limited XLTs? They really could have cashed in on the hype after the Dime drop, but they just let it fizzle out…
Did you find out a release date for the 440v2s?

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2061 on: January 24, 2024, 04:50:34 PM »
Anyone know if these canvas Crockett decons are all canvas? Cause the listing says suede, but other places are saying they're vegan. And the vans site doesn't have them listed, but the shoe closest in style says it has canvas and suede.

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/products/vans-crockett-high-decon-shoes-canvas-black-black-white?_pos=9&_psq=crockett&_ss=e&_v=1.0
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2062 on: January 24, 2024, 05:52:05 PM »
Anyone know if these canvas Crockett decons are all canvas? Cause the listing says suede, but other places are saying they're vegan. And the vans site doesn't have them listed, but the shoe closest in style says it has canvas and suede.

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/products/vans-crockett-high-decon-shoes-canvas-black-black-white?_pos=9&_psq=crockett&_ss=e&_v=1.0
apparently they are? Daddies probs just has no idea… never seen them in the flesh tho

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2063 on: January 24, 2024, 09:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
apparently they are? Daddies probs just has no idea… never seen them in the flesh tho
They’re all-canvas, no suede.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2064 on: January 25, 2024, 09:21:00 PM »
@kneebone my sources say July for the new 440s! It’s a pretty chill colorway but I think you’ll all like the little color hits

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2065 on: January 29, 2024, 04:44:19 AM »
Don’t think I can skate in the Leos, let’s see if the Quattros work for me…

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2066 on: January 29, 2024, 04:45:04 AM »
Don't wish to derail here and it technically does in a way they're not skate shoes...

But when I actually go through what I have bought I might try out the vegan Reebok Club C's and come back here, to do a badly typed out review, filled with attempts at humour.

Has anyone bought any as chillers and/or skated them? They look pretty decent and the normal Club Cs have been skated by Lucien Clarke (and my mate Scott from 't town over),

please do this!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2067 on: February 05, 2024, 01:21:53 PM »
Just got these:
https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/li-ning/brown-erik-ellington-pro-sneakers/11486361
They seem to be vegan which I'm not but is always a nice bonus on my book.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2068 on: February 11, 2024, 05:29:58 AM »
Just got these:
https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/li-ning/brown-erik-ellington-pro-sneakers/11486361
They seem to be vegan which I'm not but is always a nice bonus on my book.

they were always so hard to find, and difficult to deduce whether all synth of not…
How do they skate?

I really hope that batch is non-limited (and synth)

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2069 on: February 11, 2024, 07:24:20 AM »
The VCU XLTs are synthetic, but I've only seen this colorway for sale at two shops. One shop sold out and the other only has small sizes. I hope that those shops just got their shit early because I want this colorway.

These seem limited, but non-Dime colorways don't seem to be moving on the resale market...not even listed on StockX. Even though it's hard to get a pair, at least most of them end up being skated (or worn by people playing THPS remastered).