Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533970 times)

Jory4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2160 on: October 11, 2020, 02:24:57 AM »
My local got a few shop boards printed on Dane1 blanks, complete with wheel wells.
I couldn't resist. I snagged the last one. This was like 6 weeks ago. I had planned on putting my 6.1s on it once I was done skating the Siamese. But I just couldn't wait any longer. I don't have any 151s in my collection. So I did something about that. And they fit the board nicely. 56 F4 classic fulls. I tried it the first day without risers. But I was still getting a ton of wheelbite. So added a 1/8 riser and now its much better. Still getting some wheelbite. But not as bad and the turning is improved. You can see my wheelbite mark is right where the wheel wells start. Would need a wider truck to really get the most out of the wells.
This is my first time riding this shape and its pretty fun. Would like a little more wheelbase and a little less tail if I designed it myself.

The new and improved fatty family:

How’s the Siamese compare to the Dane 1? I’m torn between the two but a bit worried the 14” wb will be too squirley on aces

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2161 on: October 11, 2020, 08:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How’s the Siamese compare to the Dane 1? I’m torn between the two but a bit worried the 14” wb will be too squirley on aces
That is why I put Ventures on the siamese. That small WB. Couldn't imagine with aces. Don't they shrink the WB the most of any truck? To me, the biggest difference between the siamese and dane1 is the concave. Siamese being prime wood is so flat. The concave is more like a bank. Dane1 is bareback, so the concave actually has transition and holds you in better. And is just stronger feeling.
One thing I just realized: my fatties run the wheelbase scale.
Siamese: 14
Dane1: 14.125
Doubles ltd: 14.25
Gonz: 14.38
$lave pig: 14.5
Lance: 14.625 (redrilled from 15)
This has given the knowledge that my WB sweet spot is 14.25 - 14.5.
The smaller WB can be fun. But when I step back on something in my preferred range, it just feels more comfortable.

Expand Quote

[close]

Just gotta ask, which fatty is your favourite?
And thanks for sharing man!

The $lave warpig.
Doubles Ltd is a close second
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:22:11 AM by handsclapanin »

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #2162 on: October 11, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
That is why I put Ventures on the siamese. That small WB. Couldn't imagine with aces. Don't they shrink the WB the most of any truck? To me, the biggest difference between the siamese and dane1 is the concave. Siamese being prime wood is so flat. The concave is more like a bank. Dane1 is bareback, so the concave actually has transition and holds you in better. And is just stronger feeling.
One thing I just realized: my fatties run the wheelbase scale.
Siamese: 14
Dane1: 14.125
Doubles ltd: 14.25
Gonz: 14.38
$lave pig: 14.5
Lance: 14.625 (redrilled from 15)
This has given the knowledge that my WB sweet spot is 14.25 - 14.5.
The smaller WB can be fun. But when I step back on something in my preferred range, it just feels more comfortable.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just gotta ask, which fatty is your favourite?
And thanks for sharing man!

[close]

The $lave warpig.
Doubles Ltd is a close second

Thanks man. That’s kinda what I thought. I had a Dane 1 on thunders a couple of years ago which was fun but I’m loving aces. 14.25 wb is fine with them - that doubles shape looks really fun but I don’t think I can get one in uk!

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2163 on: October 11, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »
Which brands aside from Black Label produces punk point shapes in the 9" range (can be above or below)?

Been wanting to skate one again for some reason. Preferably at most 14.5" WB.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #2164 on: October 12, 2020, 03:51:19 AM »

My favorite shape, as I've said more times than anyone wants to hear. The pic of the bottom makes the 55s look like they hotrod but they don't. Been loving the Loopholes but I just can't quit the F4s and how good they feel at every single spot. Also, it always feels kind of blasphemous to me to have big conical wheels on a football, but I know that is just more neurotic BS.

GOD DAMN THIS IS BEAUTIFUL.

That Cardiel football shape is fucking perfect.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2165 on: October 12, 2020, 06:26:10 AM »
I ran that cardiel with 169s and 52mm F4 classics, it was wonderful

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2166 on: October 12, 2020, 07:14:06 AM »
Expand Quote

My favorite shape, as I've said more times than anyone wants to hear. The pic of the bottom makes the 55s look like they hotrod but they don't. Been loving the Loopholes but I just can't quit the F4s and how good they feel at every single spot. Also, it always feels kind of blasphemous to me to have big conical wheels on a football, but I know that is just more neurotic BS.
[close]

Thanks, can't wait for it to stop raining so that I can skate it. The last one I was running was a cloys of that shape on Control wood so I am hyped to have one on Generator again. I wish there were more football shaped boards with a big WB.

I ran that cardiel with 169s and 52mm F4 classics, it was wonderful

That rules! Before I was running the Aces I had one with 159s and 51mm F4 classics that I loved. Was nervous initially about the 55s but they go and don't stick out really. Did it hotrod much with the 169s?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2167 on: October 12, 2020, 10:07:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, can't wait for it to stop raining so that I can skate it. The last one I was running was a cloys of that shape on Control wood so I am hyped to have one on Generator again. I wish there were more football shaped boards with a big WB.

I had the getaway sticks graphic in this shape and ran it with 55s and 54mm f4 lock ins. I learned more tricks on that particular set up than on any other set up I’ve had.

I think the wb on cards shape is 14.8 which was pretty hefty, off hand the only football shape I know of that had a longer wheelbase is the heroin egg decks, I had an eggsorcist deck that was 9.4 with a 14.5 wb i believe

TumKayo

« Reply #2168 on: October 12, 2020, 10:28:01 AM »

I love Heroin and Polars shaped decks (both generator). I think footballs/egg shapes are a good intro to shaped decks as they handle like popsicles but get you used to looking down at something different than a popsicle.

I’m riding 169’s on a 10’ Heroin egg shape, which I love, but that might be a bit much if you aren’t used to it.

I have definitely read that Heroin was apart of Baker Boys before, but this weekend as I was looking around, I didn’t connect the dots until last night. Baker is rad.

Ended up grabbing the 10” Gold Egg and the Street Baller 9.625”. Street Baller says razortop construction, hope I get along with that. Wanted to try a short board with long wheelbase. Gonna put Indy 169s on them. What size wheels should I grab, was thinking 54mm? Bigger than I’m used to, but not too big, and no risers needed with 55mm Indys.

I was ready to buy a 9.125 egg, but read posts saying 8.75 trucks are ideal for that shape. Not buying anymore skate gear for a month or two now, after these wheels. I read the post from Fos, about a 9.4 Space Egg and 8.7 egg coming this fall/winter, will wait for one of those as they work with my current trucks better.

Got a lot of info from this thread and the egg shaped thread, thanks to all.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2169 on: October 12, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote

I love Heroin and Polars shaped decks (both generator). I think footballs/egg shapes are a good intro to shaped decks as they handle like popsicles but get you used to looking down at something different than a popsicle.

I’m riding 169’s on a 10’ Heroin egg shape, which I love, but that might be a bit much if you aren’t used to it.
[close]

I have definitely read that Heroin was apart of Baker Boys before, but this weekend as I was looking around, I didn’t connect the dots until last night. Baker is rad.

Ended up grabbing the 10” Gold Egg and the Street Baller 9.625”. Street Baller says razortop construction, hope I get along with that. Wanted to try a short board with long wheelbase. Gonna put Indy 169s on them. What size wheels should I grab, was thinking 54mm? Bigger than I’m used to, but not too big, and no risers needed with 55mm Indys.

I was ready to buy a 9.125 egg, but read posts saying 8.75 trucks are ideal for that shape. Not buying anymore skate gear for a month or two now, after these wheels. I read the post from Fos, about a 9.4 Space Egg and 8.7 egg coming this fall/winter, will wait for one of those as they work with my current trucks better.

Got a lot of info from this thread and the egg shaped thread, thanks to all.

That’s awesome, I’ve been mulling over trying the Street baller for a couple days now and just pulled the trigger on it. My Dane 1 is on its last legs and I liked how short it is while still having a nose and the street baller seemed like a good follow up to try.

Right now I alternate between 56mm Ricta clouds for cruising and 53mm F4 tablets for ledges/spots on the 10’ egg, but I usually ride 55mm F4 conical fulls which are real good on pretty much every set up I’ve had.

I’m focused a lot more on slidey tricks at the moment, but otherwise (because they grip a little more than F4’s), Loophole’s V and Square shapes are really great alternatives that I throw on some times.

TumKayo

« Reply #2170 on: October 12, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »

That’s awesome, I’ve been mulling over trying the Street baller for a couple days now and just pulled the trigger on it. My Dane 1 is on its last legs and I liked how short it is while still having a nose and the street baller seemed like a good follow up to try.

Right now I alternate between 56mm Ricta clouds for cruising and 53mm F4 tablets for ledges/spots on the 10’ egg, but I usually ride 55mm F4 conical fulls which are real good on pretty much every set up I’ve had.

I’m focused a lot more on slidey tricks at the moment, but otherwise (because they grip a little more than F4’s), Loophole’s V and Square shapes are really great alternatives that I throw on some times.

No risers? I’d like to go as big as I can get away without risers. Also, have you tried the razortop construction?

That Baker 9.25, long and directional shape looked awesome, but the 14” WB had me scared with Indys. So I went with the Street Baller. More of a coffin shape than a missile. I don’t even know my shape preferences yet, but I know I’ll like the adjustable WB. For the missile shape, next year I’d like to try a Polar Dane 1 or 1991, or the 8.63 Anti Hero.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 12:05:34 PM by TumKayo »

sketchyrider

« Reply #2171 on: October 12, 2020, 01:01:51 PM »
i hope they make the giant egg a consistent part of their line up, but i guess i could settle for the 9.125 one

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2172 on: October 12, 2020, 01:10:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No risers? I’d like to go as big as I can get away without risers. Also, have you tried the razortop construction?

That Baker 9.25, long and directional shape looked awesome, but the 14” WB had me scared with Indys. So I went with the Street Baller. More of a coffin shape than a missile. I don’t even know my shape preferences yet, but I know I’ll like the adjustable WB. For the missile shape, next year I’d like to try a Polar Dane 1 or 1991, or the 8.63 Anti Hero.

I use 1/4’ risers on pretty much every set up I have, as I like how it effects pop and I never really have to deal with wheel bite. I doubt you would have much of a problem with Indy’s on 54’s but I couldn’t say for sure.

Never tried the razor top construction but I’m curious how it looks!

I hear ya, I go back and forth on shape preference a lot. I ride everything from 8’-9’ popsicles and 9’-10.75 shaped decks. I think my length sweet spot is on the shorter side of things in general. Like under 32’ if possible, which is why I love that Dane 1 so much. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2173 on: October 12, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »
Did it hotrod much with the 169s?
not at all. the 52mm are pretty thin wheels, but i rode it with 53 or 54 conicals for a while and that was fine too

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2174 on: October 12, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »

I remember when my Cardiel deck was brand new. I got one with mellow concave and it was amazing. I skated it for 6 months and I’ll never throw it away. I want another one, hard to find this shape since.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2175 on: October 12, 2020, 05:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote

I remember when my Cardiel deck was brand new. I got one with mellow concave and it was amazing. I skated it for 6 months and I’ll never throw it away. I want another one, hard to find this shape since.
[close]

That's awesome. FWIW I emailed DLX about it and that said they're not out of production, just out of stock. I've been hoarding. There is a company called Sausage out of Seattle that does a clone of this shape on control wood, nice and flat. I skated that one on and off for a year and just retired it. After my last Girl board I would even go for a CK phawt version.

Also now that I put that Ace sticker on top I want to put my 159s on it. I might even do it.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2176 on: October 13, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had the getaway sticks graphic in this shape and ran it with 55s and 54mm f4 lock ins. I learned more tricks on that particular set up than on any other set up I’ve had.

I think the wb on cards shape is 14.8 which was pretty hefty, off hand the only football shape I know of that had a longer wheelbase is the heroin egg decks, I had an eggsorcist deck that was 9.4 with a 14.5 wb i believe

Never saw this until just now. Ended up swapping the 55s for 159s (pretty cool because I put that Ace sticker on top) and took it for its maiden voyage today. IDK why but slappy crooks just pop off on this shape.

I had asked Fos when he was posting int he egg thread and he said they also do a no-quite-egg DMOTDW board with an adjustable WB that can be like 14.75.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2177 on: October 13, 2020, 03:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Never saw this until just now. Ended up swapping the 55s for 159s (pretty cool because I put that Ace sticker on top) and took it for its maiden voyage today. IDK why but slappy crooks just pop off on this shape.

I had asked Fos when he was posting int he egg thread and he said they also do a no-quite-egg DMOTDW board with an adjustable WB that can be like 14.75.

Dude I couldn’t figure out slappy crooks until I had this shape, now it’s a favorite of mine.

I’m going to check it out, I like heroin boards a lot and I fuck with the ba. ku. Hahah

TumKayo

« Reply #2178 on: October 13, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »

I’ve been mulling over trying the Street baller for a couple days now and just pulled the trigger on it.

I’m going to set mine up more cruiser style at first, see how it works out. I got some super juice 55m 78a wheels.

There is a video on Instagram where Fos shows some of the Fall 2020 decks, and he shows the razortop construction on the Razoregg. It doesn’t seem like it will take too long to adjust too, but at the same time it seems like it could make a significant difference in board feel. I’m intrigued.

You’ve skated the 10” Egg, the 9.4 Egg, and the 9.125. Which egg do you prefer, and why? How do the more hexagon or coffin shapes compared to the egg shapes or popsicle?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2179 on: October 13, 2020, 05:48:15 PM »
Expand Quote

I’ve been mulling over trying the Street baller for a couple days now and just pulled the trigger on it.
[close]

I’m going to set mine up more cruiser style at first, see how it works out. I got some super juice 55m 78a wheels.

There is a video on Instagram where Fos shows some of the Fall 2020 decks, and he shows the razortop construction on the Razoregg. It doesn’t seem like it will take too long to adjust too, but at the same time it seems like it could make a significant difference in board feel. I’m intrigued.

You’ve skated the 10” Egg, the 9.4 Egg, and the 9.125. Which egg do you prefer, and why? How do the more hexagon or coffin shapes compared to the egg shapes or popsicle?

I just saw a razortop at my local today and it was kind of cool looking. Looked like a shinner would take your leg clean off, but otherwise cool haha

My favorite by far was the 9.4 Egg. The 10’ is a little bulkier than I would like (though I’m riding 169’s on it rather than the 159’s I had on the 9.4, which contributes to the Billings too). The 9.4 felt maneuverable like maybe a 8.5/75 popsicle but wide enough to feel cruisy which I like too. Perfect for me.

I liked the 9.12 as well but Primitive seems to generally use more mellow kicks/concave. If it were steeper, that would be up there for me. I should try a 9.12 Heroin egg soon.

The closest to a coffin/more square shaped deck I’ve had is probably the Scram Fink deck, and one of their 90’s style shapes, can’t remember the name. The Scram Fink was a little too mellow concave for my liking, but it was otherwise pretty fun. I liked the square tail a lot but it definitely made it feel like a big board, whereas the rounding and tapering of the football decks make them feel/handle like smaller decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2180 on: October 13, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »

Currently have this board set up myself. I personally would prefer an 8.75" axle on it but 55s for me also. I hope Antihero put a few more of these out.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2181 on: October 14, 2020, 06:47:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Currently have this board set up myself. I personally would prefer an 8.75" axle on it but 55s for me also. I hope Antihero put a few more of these out.

I saw yours, it looks great! I ended up putting my 159s on it and am honestly pretty hyped on the combo (even if I have an Ace sticker on top). When I spoke with DLX they said the shape isn't discontinued, just out of stock, so that is a good sign.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2182 on: October 14, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »

Dude I couldn’t figure out slappy crooks until I had this shape, now it’s a favorite of mine.

[/quote]

Same

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2183 on: October 14, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I saw yours, it looks great! I ended up putting my 159s on it and am honestly pretty hyped on the combo (even if I have an Ace sticker on top). When I spoke with DLX they said the shape isn't discontinued, just out of stock, so that is a good sign.

Damn, this looks sweet! Wonder if this is the same shape/mold as the darkroom egg since both are BBS.
The darkroom is listed as 8.75" x 31.5", 14.25" wheelbase, 6.625" tail, 6.375" nose
Does the Cardiel match up? They look so similar in top view.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2184 on: October 15, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, this looks sweet! Wonder if this is the same shape/mold as the darkroom egg since both are BBS.
The darkroom is listed as 8.75" x 31.5", 14.25" wheelbase, 6.625" tail, 6.375" nose
Does the Cardiel match up? They look so similar in top view.

The cards is way bigger, 9.18"x32.625", 14.8" WB. I will say that it's a similar overall shape and is probably super functional.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2185 on: October 15, 2020, 12:09:22 PM »
 New heroin drop some big boy stuff and egg

https://heroin.myshopify.com/

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #2186 on: October 15, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
I should be most excited for the alien egg, but the plush...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2187 on: October 15, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Agree this 9.4 looks goooood

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2188 on: October 15, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
New heroin drop some big boy stuff and egg

https://heroin.myshopify.com/
Holyfuck that sgit sold fast  :(

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2189 on: October 15, 2020, 12:42:02 PM »
Fuck I wish I saw this earlier. Today is payday and I think I’m gonna get that alien egg and the plush.