Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88360 times)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Rockin Ron's Ceramics 4lyfe

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2020, 11:06:12 AM »
Bronson G3s right now, G2 before them. And I just picked up some Raws for a new setup. They're really fast and have had no problems with them. Didn't clean them or anything and still going strong.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Yeah got the silver grade Olympia bearings. They was like $20 or $25. Some of the best bearings I’ve had. If you can get them. Try them out

Lord Quas

• Rep: 18
  • enter the liquid realm
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2020, 11:47:06 AM »

you got a connect on these? his site's been down for god knows how long haha

Quote from: GAY
I've never broken a board and it's a bigger source of shame for me and my family than my homosexuality.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you got a connect on these? his site's been down for god knows how long haha
I don't, but they last for years, so I think I'm good. The regulars are great backups too. Hopefully he can find some time away from rockin' to make some more.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
Been on the same set of Bones Swiss for damn near 5 years now. I clean/lube them maybe twice a year, take off the shields and cages and shake them in acetone in one of those Bones cleaner bottles. Works like a charm.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2020, 03:18:44 PM »
Reg or super Swiss only. I’ve learned my lesson with lesser brands

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »
Reg or super Swiss only. I’ve learned my lesson with lesser brands
Same here. Maybe I would try some raws if I found them for cheap to have as back up only to hate them and return to good ole swiss.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2020, 04:18:03 PM »
Been on the same set of Bones Swiss for damn near 5 years now. I clean/lube them maybe twice a year, take off the shields and cages and shake them in acetone in one of those Bones cleaner bottles. Works like a charm.

Truth. 5yrs is a long time tho, the metal has degraded but if they still hissssssssssssssssssssssssss, your're good ;)

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2020, 04:50:54 PM »
mini logos. surprisingly fast.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
I went a bit gear crazy uhhh in 2018 and ended up buying two sets of the cortina "pro" bearings (among a bunch of other shit), a Kyle Walker set and either Elijah Berle or Nak, i forget. I liked them for a week then hated them. They squeaked like they were rusty or something. I ended up putting a set on a full setup I built for a friend who had lost his board. We went skating and I could hear them squeak each time he rolled past, I almost felt bad for giving them to him.
I saw him the other day, he's had those bearings 4 - 6 months now and they've actually really broken in nicely. The squeaking noise is gone and they're loud and dry, and spin super easy. I had a roll on them and they're now probably the best bearings I've skated other than Bones Swiss.

I talked a lot of shit on them at the time so I thought I'd post this to atone for my crimes.

I picked up some Cortina GT for stupidly cheap a month or two ago thinking they'd just be another set of cheapies I could throw in my winter wheels and not feel bad about but they surprised the shit out of me. Just doing the hand spin test they spun longer than I think anything else I've tried, it was well over a minute and closer to 2 if I recall correctly and thats fresh out of the box with the factory lube in them. I know thats not an actual test or indicator of how a bearing will perform under load but you can still get a general idea of whether or not a bearing is trash. Anyways from the lasered logos on the races and the cages/shields they reminded me a lot of Bronson raws but with shields, and they were quite fast and had a lovely hiss to them. Sadly I did use them for winter wheels and got them soaked then ended up getting swamped at work that morning. By the time I remembered and went to pop them out it was too late and they'd already rusted a little bit... not enough to seize up so I was able to salvage them but theres some noticeable rough spots now and they aren't quite as fast. I still have them in one of my setups and skate them from time to time but I wish I hadn't fucked them up so I could see if they held up long-term or were just a "start strong but turn to shit in a few weeks" thing like the raws were for me.

I tried Andale swiss a while back and they sucked fat dong, and for some reason I just mentally grouped Cortina in with them and assumed they'd be shit too but they weren't at all. I'd totally buy them again, if I found those GT ones on sale again it would be a no-brainer for me.

Currently running Big Balls, Modus 7, and Bronson G2 (I switch between wheels depending on if theres snow or lots of salt or whatever) and the Modus are great but the other 2 haven't really impressed me. 

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 05:32:52 PM »
mini logos. surprisingly fast.
just set these up w a softer wheel and have been fine so far. Not enough of a test sample though

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 05:53:03 PM »
2 set ups, one with Swiss 6 and one with Minilogos
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »
Currently rocking Nothing Special bearings. But I got them in rotation with white andale Swiss, Swiss 6, and shake junts.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 06:31:13 PM »
Had Big Balls and loved em - things took a turn and they were compromised

Now I'm riding a $9 Modus set until the snow melts and I don't have to worry about ruining my next set of Big Balls.

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
I was hyped on the reds big balls until I recently noticed 4 of the 8 had busted cages. Granted I skated when it was below freezing but never had THAT much of an issue. Not so hyped on em now. Will be coughing up the extra cash and getting the swiss 6 this go 'round.

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »
Had Big Balls and loved em - things took a turn and they were compromised

Now I'm riding a $9 Modus set until the snow melts and I don't have to worry about ruining my next set of Big Balls.

Yo! May I ask what happened to the big balls? I literally JUST replied with big ball issues..(HAHAHA) Broken cages?!

lysdexia

• Rep: 5
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
FAG 608RS's from the bearing shop.  they're working great.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »
Any of you bladers out there fuck with ILQ bearings?
Twincam, powerslide, wicked brands?
ILQ 9 sounds good. Also interesting to see that they usually use gel or grease, not oil.

https://www.twincambearing.com/product-category/ilq-9-2/

http://www.wicked-hardware.com/portfolio/wcd-twincam-ilq-9-pro-bearings/

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44178&postcount=2
As fast as Swiss?

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »
Just set up conical fulls with these bearings. They Bear Spaceballs, and apparently they're equivalent to Bones Race Reds. I had em for a while and ran em until they stopped cause they were full of dirt. I just acetoned and bones speed creamed them, and they're seeming pretty fast from the free spin test I did. I think they'll be pretty good. They're also a lot like the zealous regular bearings, the green, fast ones. They were reasonably cheap too, at $25 canadian. I don't think theyre comparable to swiss, but they should be worth a go, anyway.

https://landyachtz.com/ca/product/spaceballs-8mm-steel-bearings/
niggling

[/quote]

Groundskeeper Willie

• Rep: 1
  • Aye!
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 11:22:20 PM »
I usually run Bones Reds... But they don't last very long, I just get them cause they're the cheapest decent bearings I can get in my shop.
I once had some bronsons but the blew out pretty quickly, eventhough everybody I skate with told me that they were the best and they last a lifetime...

Once I head some ShakeJunt bearings and I didn't really expect too much from them but they were excellent. Unfortunately I can't find them nowhere these days...
My mule wouldn't walk in the mud. So I had to put seventeen bullets in him.

darkelfdruid

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:32 AM »
Oust bearings or bust srsly what’s wrong with you guys haven’t you seen this video https://youtu.be/wxpQnEGHg34

darkelfdruid

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2020, 02:09:32 AM »
we're all really blowing it
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:10:24 AM by darkelfdruid »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2020, 05:15:51 AM »
Bearings commonly used by downhill longboarders etc are really good, especially those with built-in spacers. Theres  truly no "skateboard" designed bearing, designed to handle more impact loads. Thats all just a bunch of gimmicky marketing.

Besides that, I think its safe to say that most broken bearings on here are duo to user error.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:49 AM »
Oust bearings or bust srsly what’s wrong with you guys haven’t you seen this video https://youtu.be/wxpQnEGHg34
dudes wearing more makeup than tim and eric in drag
🤙

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »
Any of you bladers out there fuck with ILQ bearings?
Twincam, powerslide, wicked brands?
ILQ 9 sounds good. Also interesting to see that they usually use gel or grease, not oil.

https://www.twincambearing.com/product-category/ilq-9-2/

http://www.wicked-hardware.com/portfolio/wcd-twincam-ilq-9-pro-bearings/

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=44178&postcount=2
As fast as Swiss?

I got a couple of them mixed in with a bunch of random shit in an ebay lot.  From what I can tell they're just your standard chinese bearing, nothing special to them. They don't seem to spin particularly well and the shields aren't even good non-contact ones. From what I remember the metal shielded ones are the bearings that rollerblades always came with, and were pretty much their version of the "gmn speed bearing" from back in the day. Maybe head down to goodwill with your allen wrench and start popping rollerblade wheels and see if you can find yourself a set for cheap?

Also grease lubrication is really not ideal for skate bearings unless you're doing some serious downhill or mega ramp style shit or doing really long non-stop commuting. You're not likely to reach the speeds or temperatures where it would be a benefit in the course of your average street skating session. Light oil like speed cream or sewing machine oil is used by bearing manufacturers because its the best fit for the job.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2020, 04:44:42 PM »
lucky bearings

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
FAG 608RS's from the bearing shop.  they're working great.

Are they the ones with the steel cage retainer? I have a set of those and they were pretty disappointing for me, I even tried cleaning all the grease out and re-lubing with oil and running them without shields and I still can't seem to get them to run any better than mini-logos.

Chrisskates808

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2020, 05:28:30 PM »
Bones Swiss ceramics !!

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »
currently using andale MJ pros for couple of years already, but then again i skate like once a month now. the push still smooth, might considering a set of G3 soon.