Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88382 times)

SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #840 on: June 08, 2022, 06:44:39 AM »
Found a pair online of Swiss 6 for about the same price. I’ll grab another set if one of my locals is in the ballpark. I’m in Nagano.

Good stuff. Glad you were able to cop a set or two.

I haven't been to Nagano in a hot minute. My friend used to live near the "highest train station in Japan." Forget the name of it at the moment though. Visited some insect museum near there when I went to visit.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #841 on: June 08, 2022, 03:25:46 PM »
Wondering if anybody has found a bearing as fast as Swiss 6. I’ve been riding them for nearly 20 years, but each new set that I get seems to be less durable than the last. My first set lasted for over 10 year, next set lasted 2 years, now I’m lucky if I get a year out of each set.

palach303

• Rep: 1
« Reply #842 on: June 09, 2022, 02:45:52 PM »
Wondering if anybody has found a bearing as fast as Swiss 6. I’ve been riding them for nearly 20 years, but each new set that I get seems to be less durable than the last. My first set lasted for over 10 year, next set lasted 2 years, now I’m lucky if I get a year out of each set.
I cant really comment on how they were 20 years ago or their longevity nowadays, but Ive been riding Swiss 6 balls for like 2 months and all wheels have that nice crunchy broken in sound except one, which sounds kinda dead quiet and has a weird vibrating hum to it and doesnt spin nearly as long as the others. I thought it was because they werent seated properly or because the wheel is wobbly but no, its the bearings for sure. Its probably not a big deal but its pissing me off...

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #843 on: June 09, 2022, 04:35:03 PM »

Other people have wondered the same thing, more so with regular Bones Swiss, but as they didn't get them from me, I don't know if they got genuine product or counterfeit bearings.  Never seen any counterfeit Swiss six, but the other thing I am wondering is if the gnar factor of your skating has increased, causing more wearing on your setup, bearings included.

I know I have gone way down in 20 years, but I am closer to 50 so more so just enjoying still rolling some days, but I know others I skate with tend to blow out any and all bearings a lot faster with the higher impact stuff they are doing.

Just a thought anyway.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #844 on: June 09, 2022, 05:27:53 PM »

Funny you mention that. 6Ball used to last me a good few years. And then I had a set or two that were noticeably less durable. Happy to report that my current set are going on over a  year with zero maintenance and doing great. But I will most being purchasing @Quantum Bearing Science from now on. Hard to beat the value with the those. Isotopes seem to be the most durable for me.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #845 on: June 09, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
Well shit. Swiss 6 had been my best bearing experience. Haven’t had any for a long time, because the shop I most often go to doesn’t carry the 6, just regular Swiss. My last set of regular Swiss…meh. Several sets of reds, not rad. Several sets of the cheapest option in the shop, not good, but cheap so not mad. Just got quantum’s that I haven’t set up because I wanted to put them in new wheels, and I don’t get new wheels very often, so the new wheels means new trucks, and …

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #846 on: June 21, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
Torn between swiss 6 and quantums (probably isotopes) for the same price.

Bearings don't last me super long, even with regular maintenance I'll often have one or two just seize up and go to shit. Don't skate anything super gnarly but somehow am still pretty harsh on my gear so durability is as important as speed

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #847 on: June 21, 2022, 12:30:56 PM »
Bones reds and I never do anything to maintain them except maybe a drop of lube every year or two. I ride through a lot of dirt and grass too bc it's fun. A set usually lasts me at least a few years while spinning plenty smooth and fast.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #848 on: June 21, 2022, 12:35:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny you mention that. 6Ball used to last me a good few years. And then I had a set or two that were noticeably less durable. Happy to report that my current set are going on over a  year with zero maintenance and doing great. But I will most being purchasing @Quantum Bearing Science from now on. Hard to beat the value with the those. Isotopes seem to be the most durable for me.

I wasn't blown away by Swiss 6. They lasted a while bjt 2 of them often felt slow and they required more can than I enjoyed. By hand tests my Quantum Atoms spin twice as long and I skate them through dirt constantly and have put 1 drop of lube in 2 of them in 6 months. For me it's no contest considering the cost and my experience, but they're both really good and you can't lose.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #849 on: June 21, 2022, 12:54:00 PM »

Bearings don't last me super long, even with regular maintenance I'll often have one or two just seize up and go to shit. Don't skate anything super gnarly but somehow am still pretty harsh on my gear so durability is as important as speed

I just don't think you can beat quantums for the price. Literally my only complaint is that I wish the isotopes came with black/dark shields instead of the off white ones (which is the smallest possible nit to pick). I've got sets of metallics, atoms, and isotopes all running right now and they're great. Plus the @Quantum_Bearing_Science guys are really friendly and cool.

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #850 on: June 21, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »
2 years deep on bronson RAWS w/ spacers, never had any issues. seem to go faster more broken in they get

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #851 on: June 21, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just don't think you can beat quantums for the price. Literally my only complaint is that I wish the isotopes came with black/dark shields instead of the off white ones (which is the smallest possible nit to pick). I've got sets of metallics, atoms, and isotopes all running right now and they're great. Plus the @Quantum_Bearing_Science guys are really friendly and cool.

But if they were the same price?

Also small nit but I do slightly prefer the metal cage blue shield combo of the swiss

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #852 on: June 21, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also small nit but I do slightly prefer the metal cage blue shield combo of the swiss

I've never bought swiss BECAUSE of the price (plus never had the money to do so until the past couple of years). I've primarily ridden reds and most recently a set of Bones Big Balls.

That being said, Swiss is the standard for a reason, I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the performance. I'm definitely not anti-swiss. If the prices were the same, I think I'd still lean towards quantum because it's cool to support a small company.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #853 on: June 21, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »
cheapshots riders quarterly check-in

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #854 on: June 22, 2022, 05:33:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have the Quantum bearings and the Swiss 6, and the Swiss have proven more durable and need less maintenance than the Quantum have. The Quantum are good bearings for sure, they probably spin faster, but I don’t really care about that - I want them to last a long time with little maintenance, and they seemed to get jacked up in particular with the act of bashing them into a curb at a right angle (slappys).

My Quantum bearings are still good but when I was stocking up on some parts earlier this year I bought another set of Swiss 6 for future use.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #855 on: June 22, 2022, 07:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have the Quantum bearings and the Swiss 6, and the Swiss have proven more durable and need less maintenance than the Quantum have. The Quantum are good bearings for sure, they probably spin faster, but I don’t really care about that - I want them to last a long time with little maintenance, and they seemed to get jacked up in particular with the act of bashing them into a curb at a right angle (slappys).

My Quantum bearings are still good but when I was stocking up on some parts earlier this year I bought another set of Swiss 6 for future use.

Yeah fair enough. So far I’ve gotten lucky and I only had one bearing go wonky on me, but after a clean and lube it was back to new. I don’t really set aside time to service my bearings but if I’m swapping something then I’ll maybe give my bearings some love. The little quantum bearing puller is a neat little tool too, fun one for the skate bag.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #856 on: June 22, 2022, 07:26:06 AM »

I’ve seen you post this a couple of  times and have been meaning to come back to it.

You’re riding the Atoms, correct?

Those are designed for speed and responsiveness.  Transition skating/downhill/cruising.  Speed… basically.

The Isotopes or Metallics would be better for bashing into things.

http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #857 on: June 22, 2022, 07:39:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve seen you post this a couple of  times and have been meaning to come back to it.

You’re riding the Atoms, correct?

Those are designed for speed and responsiveness.  Transition skating/downhill/cruising.  Speed… basically.

The Isotopes or Metallics would be better for bashing into things.

Yes, I understand this. I still love my Atoms and skate them regularly, but all things being equal I found that Swiss offered similar performance and increased durability. I still occasionally do a slappy or two on the Atoms, but after knocking them out of shape twice, I am now much more careful. If I had to do it again, I’d buy one of your hybrid or metallic offerings.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #858 on: June 22, 2022, 08:01:26 AM »
Right on.  Glad you’re still digging them.

Treat yourself to some Fusions when they come out.   

They have a diamond hard (*DMx) coating with lubricant engineered right into the coating.  Maximum durability and close to zero friction.

* yeah, X gon’ give it to ya
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

aiden

« Reply #859 on: September 02, 2022, 11:39:27 AM »
cheapshots, they work just as good as the G3's i was using and cost 1/3 the price.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #860 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:31 PM »
I've gotta say I have the complete opposite experience with Quantum Atoms vs. Swiss 6. I have lubed my Atoms once in over a year and I live in an area with really sandy dust and dirt. My Quantums also jam less when I primo and are faster spinning by hand and just riding on the board. I do a lot of slappies too and still no issues there.

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #861 on: September 02, 2022, 12:13:03 PM »
cheapshots riders quarterly check-in

imagine paying more than $12 for bearings

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #862 on: September 05, 2022, 10:09:14 PM »
Been running the Cortina T-Funk bearings for close to 6 months and have to say that they are slept on. Best bearings ive used in a long while with a reasonabl-ish price point, plus you get some dope replacement nuts and washers.
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 173
« Reply #863 on: September 06, 2022, 12:02:47 AM »
been running bones big balls for about 10months no complaints, nice and broken in spinning freely without any maintenance.
I usually blow through reds quite quickly for some reason.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #864 on: September 06, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »
For sure, if we talk about bearings, the best way is Bones bearings…
Personally got a set of reds to street/transition and got a set of Swiss on my 8’deck

A brand i would like to try is SKF
Its a brand specialiced on bearing and top tier on it, landing on the skate market.

High end quality for sure. Standards should be fine but they also got their own produced ceramics
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:54:52 AM by Le Flaute »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: September 06, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
Been running the Cortina T-Funk bearings for close to 6 months and have to say that they are slept on. Best bearings ive used in a long while with a reasonabl-ish price point, plus you get some dope replacement nuts and washers.

Yeah, I bought some Cortina bearings on eBay because they were like $10 shipped and they lasted longer than any set of Reds I’ve owned.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #866 on: September 06, 2022, 09:40:19 AM »
Here to give the Quantum guys more love.

I have 3 sets, 2 sets of Atoms and 1 set of Isotopes.

I have had all of them at least a year at this point, and they are all still excellent.  The one set of Atoms is a year and half old and still amazing.

I will never use any other bearings given the choice.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #867 on: September 06, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
thoroughly surprised at how long a set of reds have lasted me considering all the stupid shit i do skating grass and dirt hills

i haven't switched out a pair since summer 2020

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #868 on: September 06, 2022, 11:44:08 AM »
I've been on my quantum atoms for about 2 months now.

I somehow make all my bearings seize somewhat frequently, even swiss, and have to clean them to try make them free up. Probably from slappies, landing primo and being about 200 pounds.

These quantums are quite a bit better than most of the swiss I've had in terms of being resistant to seizing, though still not quite invincible.

They roll very nice and are very fast. The free spin isn't silent, but the hiss is very quiet and 'fine' sounding, tolerances are good, gives me a higher quality feel than swiss. I definitely would pick these up over swiss again.

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #869 on: September 06, 2022, 12:31:42 PM »
Same story here pretty much with swiss and swiss 6 balls, they'd probably never seize on me if i didn't slappy but since I do a lot of them and I'm heavier, I frequently need to pop them out and clean with rubbing alcohol and re-lube em to get them spinning again. I'd probably try those quantums finally if they solved that problem.