Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91915 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1080 on: August 28, 2023, 04:50:40 AM »
I swear it's because I've only used pure acetone on this set vs rubbing alcohol in the past for every expensive/inexpensive bearing type, but I'm on the longest streak of no seizing and consistently fast bearings right now and they're literally just a set of Reds. Only cleaned them twice in the span of like 3-4 months and the second time I just did it because I was bored. No shields and no lube. I must've got a lucky set or something, I've had swiss seize up constantly on me.
Dafuq? I only clean mine once or twice a year.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1081 on: August 28, 2023, 08:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I swear it's because I've only used pure acetone on this set vs rubbing alcohol in the past for every expensive/inexpensive bearing type, but I'm on the longest streak of no seizing and consistently fast bearings right now and they're literally just a set of Reds. Only cleaned them twice in the span of like 3-4 months and the second time I just did it because I was bored. No shields and no lube. I must've got a lucky set or something, I've had swiss seize up constantly on me.
[close]
Dafuq? I only clean mine once or twice a year.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1082 on: August 28, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »

The shields have all turned to dust but these are still the second best bearings I've ever had.

I purchased second hand in 2017 from a homie who wanted some drugs and they've outlived several sets of metal ball bearings on my side bloards .

Reds white ceramic.

Chose to shelve for one winter but now I just roll on these always.

#1 bearing was the element white ceramics from back in the.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1083 on: August 28, 2023, 09:11:00 AM »
I've been running the Eric Dressen Bronson bearings and they've been solid.

lulz

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1084 on: August 28, 2023, 11:38:41 AM »
I swear it's because I've only used pure acetone

Give me acetone, or give me gas.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1085 on: August 28, 2023, 12:11:01 PM »
Can acetone degrade the plastic?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #1086 on: August 29, 2023, 07:15:39 AM »
How are y'all cleaning your bearings? I've always been too lazy to do it and came up in the 'just remove the shields and never clean them' era

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1087 on: August 29, 2023, 07:32:26 AM »
How are y'all cleaning your bearings? I've always been too lazy to do it and came up in the 'just remove the shields and never clean them' era

get isopropyl alchohol, put some in a small container, put the bearings in, shake em around. that will free them of all the dirt + crap.
let them dry out completely before putting them back in the wheels if you can (its not a huge deal if you dont )
if they seem too dry then add a tiny drop of speed cream
dont put a lot because then the bearings will be "swimming" in the oil and they will suck up every tiny bit of dirt you roll thorugh for the next while.

I am trying to go with like the cheapest bearings possible with out being complete trash right now and I have had good results as long as I take care of them. I got some Primitive and Modus bearings for like $10-15 / set and they are rolling completely fine still after a few months. havent really been babying them too much just trying to keep them out of thick mud and water.

I left a set of Bones Swiss in the car over the winter and they got rust on them. I cleaned them with the iso and they were good as new again. THis did not work with the set of Reds that I left in the car. some of the balls are seized permanently. so there is definintely a difference in having the good ones vs the shitty ones.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1088 on: August 29, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
I like taking the shields off but leaving the bearings in my wheel. I have 99% isopropyl in a squeeze bottle (higher % means less water) and squeeze a bit in, spin the wheel for like 30s, wipe with an old t shirt, repeat it again, then do the other side and take the wheel off. By the time I am done with all 4 the bearings are almost completely dry to to the high alcohol content, but I wipe em again while spinning them, then put in a drop of lube and spin the wheel on the axle a bunch. If it sounds too dry I put another drop but not often. I should note that while I'm doing this I have put the shields in a cup with the alcohol and I wipe them really good especially the inside and pop them back on and I am good to go.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1089 on: August 29, 2023, 12:37:21 PM »
Go to a CVS or equivalent and buy 100% acetone (full strength nail polish remover). It works way better than alcohol. An old toothbrush helps too.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1090 on: August 29, 2023, 01:04:08 PM »
I Googled "can acetone dissolve plastic" and got a ton of links like this that said to never use it to clean plastics as it can degrade the plastic: https://www.millerplastics.com/how-acetone-affects-certain-plastics/

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #1091 on: August 29, 2023, 01:47:47 PM »
My bearing cages...retainers whatever they're called aren't melting from the acetone. I use a little Tupperware container that is for salad dressings n shit. Put enough acetone in to cover all of em. Shake for a minute real good, dump it, repeat a couple more times til the acetone is still clear after shaking. Tap dry each bearing a couple times onto some paper towels and then let it air dry for like 10-15 minutes. I used the same method with rubbing alcohol and it didn't clean nearly as good as the acetone. It's even more of a "dry" liquid than 91% isopropyl alcohol. I just get the acetone from Walgreens in the nail polish section.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1092 on: August 29, 2023, 02:51:57 PM »
Rubbing alcohol won't clean as exhaustively, but it seems repeated exposure to acetone can degrade the cages. They might not turn to sludge, but it sounds like acetone can effect the integrity. Iso will be pretty damn close with no downsides. Maybe with skateboards it doesn't matter to people. Even if bearings are $50-$60 for expensive ones I wouldn't want to break them any sooner.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1093 on: August 29, 2023, 04:41:43 PM »
The best results I’ve felt are from doing a pretty half-assed job of cleaning bearings. Here’s my process;
Roughly 2in on isopropyl alcohol in a pint glass. Dunk an old toothbrush in it and scrub each bearing for about 5 seconds and then drop them in the glass after each is brushed. Once all of them are in the glass give it a little swirl and then strain them out through your fingers. Shake off some of the liquid then set them down. Take a bic lighter in one hand and a bearing in the other and pass the flame quickly over each bearing to get all the alcohol removed, 5 seconds or so. I’m using 3 in 1 lubricant from Harbor freight($5 for a lifetime supply)these days but use whatever you like it’s all basically the same thing. Dab a corner of paper towel with lubricant and barely touch a few of the ball bearings. Go super light on re-lubrication. Lube up your axels lightly as well. Dry and dirty axels are worse Than dirty bearings. Now go push really fast and enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 05:05:24 PM by Dong Hanglo »

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1094 on: September 02, 2023, 08:51:16 PM »
I regret getting the Swiss Six because . . . they’re too good. My God, I can’t go back to cheap bearings. I’m ruined now 😲

Bill Salt

« Reply #1095 on: September 03, 2023, 02:44:27 AM »
I ride Bronson Raws cause there no best bearings.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1096 on: September 03, 2023, 09:49:39 AM »
I ride Bronson Raws cause there no best bearings.

There’s no best bearing, but there’s definitely a worst and it’s Bronson Raws.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1097 on: September 03, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
Agreed, Raws were worse than Cheapshots for me actually and never wore in.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1098 on: September 03, 2023, 04:55:42 PM »

I remove the shields and cages and wash them in plain water (mainly just the cages). The metal parts get dunked into rubbing alcohol and spun around (be careful the balls don't pop out). Everything dried abd and reassembled with 2 drops of speed cream. I'm not super anal about getting them spotless because they're just going to get dirty again but I do like to get the big bits of crud out and keep them lubricated every 8 months

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1099 on: September 05, 2023, 03:03:40 PM »
So I love my Swiss 6, but I'm terrified of ruining them. Every time I swap wheels I freak out that I damaged them. It started raining the other day on my way home and they probably got wet so I took them apart and cleaned and relubed them.

Just wish I could not worry about them as much lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1100 on: September 05, 2023, 03:22:16 PM »
If you are just a bit careful to not bend your shields, not force them into the wheel doing something dumb (a friend used to literally put the bearing on the truck and hammer the wheel on), and just clean them per almost any Youtube video you should be fine! Skate bearings are built to withstand a lot of impact and the 608 bearing size is used in a shit ton of industrial applications for all sorts of shit. If you keep your shields on and use any sort of sensible lube they will probably last you several years.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1101 on: September 29, 2023, 07:44:25 AM »
Question: Can your bearings make your wheel get tighter over time?

I thought I had axle slip, but I moved the wheel and now it’s tightening on the new axle. Very strange. Maybe they aren’t in deep enough 🤷🏿‍♂️

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #1102 on: September 29, 2023, 08:11:53 AM »

I thought I had axle slip, but I moved the wheel and now it’s tightening on the new axle. Very strange. Maybe they aren’t in deep enough 🤷🏿‍♂️

Yes. Use washers on both sides, tighten your wheels down to make sure the bearings are sitting properly, loosen your wheel until is spins freely. Keep a tool nearby, as you may need to do this again when you skate.

Not many wheels have the bearing seats complete squared and lined up, and this can also cause a wheel wobble or bind. Best to have a little bit of play once the bearing is sitting as deep as possible. If spacers fit properly in the wheels you have, this might also help.

OhioGuy

« Reply #1103 on: September 29, 2023, 08:23:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes. Use washers on both sides, tighten your wheels down to make sure the bearings are sitting properly, loosen your wheel until is spins freely. Keep a tool nearby, as you may need to do this again when you skate.

Not many wheels have the bearing seats complete squared and lined up, and this can also cause a wheel wobble or bind. Best to have a little bit of play once the bearing is sitting as deep as possible. If spacers fit properly in the wheels you have, this might also help.
Thanks! It’s funny, this happens when I decide to not uses spacers all of a sudden 😂

And I need to get a new skate tool. Used to have two, but now I just have one at my house.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1104 on: September 29, 2023, 08:45:13 AM »
Should have never ventured in here, now I'm thinking of treating myself to some Swiss or Swiss 6. Any discernable difference between the 2 if they are the same price?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

OhioGuy

« Reply #1105 on: September 29, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »
Should have never ventured in here, now I'm thinking of treating myself to some Swiss or Swiss 6. Any discernable difference between the 2 if they are the same price?
My Swiss 6 are great, outside of the above issue which probably has nothing to do with ‘em. Don’t know if they’re better than the normal ones though.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1106 on: September 29, 2023, 09:11:17 AM »
Swiss 6 seem to last longer for me. And I don't have to clean them as much. Currently have some Swiss 6 that are going strong 2 years plus with zero maintenance. Less balls, less worries....

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #1107 on: September 29, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
Habe been running the Quantum Atoms for 9 months now and they are incredibly fast. They got noticably slower at one point, then I cleaned them and added the graphlo lubricant and they were fast as hell again. Coming from swiss 6 and regular swiss I would say they are on par or better than the swiss 6. The atoms were way cheaper though. If they hold up for another year I am totally sold on these.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1108 on: September 29, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Big fan of quantums also but they have not lasted me as long as Swiss 6. Nor do I find them faster. Still very worthy of support.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1109 on: September 29, 2023, 11:34:01 AM »
Had both, both feels the same to me with the difference that 6 lasts longer in my experience.
Best bearings ever.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.