Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91951 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #1200 on: December 16, 2023, 06:38:57 PM »
My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered some silicon nitride ceramic balls on eBay for like 13 dollars. I put em in some cheap modus black bearings I had in the parts box. Won’t really be able to skate till Sunday but felt nice and fast in the driveway.

Fuck yeah. Can you find out where the Swiss cages come from?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1201 on: December 16, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »
Anyone try Floegressive?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fartknocker415

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #1202 on: December 16, 2023, 07:23:22 PM »
Rockin some grizzly bearing right now fam

jjmusmc0311

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1203 on: December 17, 2023, 12:16:22 AM »
Bronson Raws!
What bearings are you guys using? I'm a fan of Bones Swiss and I had some blank ceramic bearings that were just as fast.
Looking for suggestions for a new build.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1204 on: December 17, 2023, 12:17:24 PM »
How much better than Bronson G3s are bones swiss really? They cost twice as much...It hurts but I really want to try them and it would be such a stupid waste of money if they're pretty much the same

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1205 on: December 17, 2023, 12:28:02 PM »
My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered some silicon nitride ceramic balls on eBay for like 13 dollars. I put em in some cheap modus black bearings I had in the parts box. Won’t really be able to skate till Sunday but felt nice and fast in the driveway.

Need an update on this.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1206 on: December 17, 2023, 11:50:27 PM »
How much better than Bronson G3s are bones swiss really? They cost twice as much...It hurts but I really want to try them and it would be such a stupid waste of money if they're pretty much the same
G3 are the biggest pieces of shit ever in my experience.
They lasted me 3 days and that little inner metal ring on the shield bended to the inside on 6 bearings making them go to a full stop.
Swiss will last you at least 5 years. My current set, Swiss 6, are still going strong and actually better and better every day since 2017. I clean then 1 maybe 2 times per year and that's it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1207 on: December 18, 2023, 02:41:09 AM »
I have a few pairs, rode them for over a year and noticed slow down. I used to swear by them though.

Got some Bones Swiss 6 back in August. It’s not even close, they make the G3s seem awful by comparison.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1208 on: December 18, 2023, 02:44:48 AM »
After trying several cheaper bearings over the years and being disappointed time and time again, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it using any other bearings than Bones Swiss / Swiss 6. Life's too short. Invest in quality.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1209 on: December 18, 2023, 06:14:29 AM »
After trying several cheaper bearings over the years and being disappointed time and time again, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth it using any other bearings than Bones Swiss / Swiss 6. Life's too short. Invest in quality.
This ☝️
The only other alternative if you're on a budget are Flip HKD 5 or 7, whatever you can find for the cheap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #1210 on: December 18, 2023, 06:37:31 AM »

I used to think bearings didn’t matter. I’d have a random assortment of stuff in my wheels that I had left over and get whatever was cheap when I needed new ones. Tried Swiss from a sale this year. A few months in and the difference is huge. So much faster and smoother and to what people are saying they just keep getting better. Probably gonna get a backup set with the skatewarehouse sale

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1211 on: December 18, 2023, 07:02:33 AM »

If a set of Reds or G3 cost $25 and last for six months, while the Bones cost $50 and last for multiple years (while performing better), did you actually save any money buying the cheaper bearings?

I'd advise you to grab some from Skate Warehouse for 30% off, but it looks like they've totally sold out of Swiss bearings.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #1212 on: December 18, 2023, 07:27:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If a set of Reds or G3 cost $25 and last for six months, while the Bones cost $50 and last for multiple years (while performing better), did you actually save any money buying the cheaper bearings?

I'd advise you to grab some from Skate Warehouse for 30% off, but it looks like they've totally sold out of Swiss bearings.

just to chime in my take: i prefer swiss, but i don’t notice some big difference in the results of my skating. the swiss are faster.
for me, it’s mainly a longevity thing. i’ve had swiss, and swiss 6, last years upon years.

the highly un-scientific hand spin test has one of my setups with mini logos beating swiss, and quantum’s right now. (before anyone gets excited i have the quantum’s really dry, and haven’t purchased their lighter lubricant, and they are doing totally fine).

i’ve been sticking to mini logo or swiss and i like that for me.
i do want to try some of the skf bearings.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: December 18, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In europe reds cost 25 and swiss cost 100 for some reason. Swiss ceramics are 225

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1214 on: December 18, 2023, 08:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

just to chime in my take: i prefer swiss, but i don’t notice some big difference in the results of my skating. the swiss are faster.
for me, it’s mainly a longevity thing. i’ve had swiss, and swiss 6, last years upon years.

the highly un-scientific hand spin test has one of my setups with mini logos beating swiss, and quantum’s right now. (before anyone gets excited i have the quantum’s really dry, and haven’t purchased their lighter lubricant, and they are doing totally fine).

Yeah, people always talk about which bearing is "faster", but that's completely a meaningless metric. No one here is racing their skateboard and no bearing which is even basically functional seriously restricting your speed. When I say that they "perform better", I mean that they spin smooth and fast for longer than cheaper bearings.

I'm glad you bring up SKF, because they make a cartridge bearing bicycle bottom bracket which will never "spin faster" than one with new, well-adjusted ceramic bearings, but it will spin smoothly and with no maintenance for a 5-10 years of regular, hard riding, which most of the alternatives will not (RIP UN55).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1215 on: December 18, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had Swiss die on me in months and cheap bearings that last years, tried doing the cleaning and lubing with shields and retainers removed but the Swiss just never returned to full speed for me. Maybe it because I'm in the tropics with 80-90% humidity but I've never found the premium of Bones Swiss to be worth the it, and I don't have the patience to clean them regularly. Hence I go with cheaper ones and swap them every few sessions. But I still have friends who swear by them, just not for me.

With the SWH 30% off code and clearance discount the Bronson G3s that were on clearance were good if you wanted to test them out.

I'll defer to the masses who swear by Swiss, just not for me
The SWH
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1216 on: December 18, 2023, 10:11:54 AM »
I saw Mini Logo bearings in Christmas completes at my local that spun as fast as Swiss.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1217 on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »
The consensus here is correct (in my experience): just invest in Swiss. Yeah it sucks paying $50 but they usually last longer.

That being said, you can absolutely get away with cheaper options on cruisers. They don’t take as much impact and I’ve had Reds, Reds Big Balls, and Reds Supers last ages.

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -335
« Reply #1218 on: December 18, 2023, 01:16:57 PM »

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #1219 on: December 18, 2023, 01:48:48 PM »
Swiss always

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
  • Get bent
« Reply #1220 on: December 18, 2023, 04:23:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, people always talk about which bearing is "faster", but that's completely a meaningless metric. No one here is racing their skateboard and no bearing which is even basically functional seriously restricting your speed. When I say that they "perform better", I mean that they spin smooth and fast for longer than cheaper bearings.

I'm glad you bring up SKF, because they make a cartridge bearing bicycle bottom bracket which will never "spin faster" than one with new, well-adjusted ceramic bearings, but it will spin smoothly and with no maintenance for a 5-10 years of regular, hard riding, which most of the alternatives will not (RIP UN55).

I have the skf standard bearings that I’ve been running for a while now, they don’t spin in hand but under load they spin smoother than anything else I’ve ridden, and while I’m not a speed demon or anything I do seem to notice I don’t have to take as many pushes to get to the ledge at the local as some other people do
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #1221 on: December 19, 2023, 02:45:55 AM »
SKF use grease, so it takes some heat for them to spin "freely". Which is a useless test anyway.
I've been on SKF's for over a year now, and they simply just run smoother, maintain their speed better, than Bones Reds, Big Balls and maybe Swiss 6s. I did have my Swiss 6s for many many years.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: December 19, 2023, 04:06:34 AM »
I did it. I bought swiss 6 and that stupid overpriced bones bearings tool. I feel like I'm gonna skate different now and be anxious of destroying the most expensive+delicate skate part I've ever bought. No slappies?

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #1223 on: December 19, 2023, 07:31:50 AM »
I did it. I bought swiss 6 and that stupid overpriced bones bearings tool. I feel like I'm gonna skate different now and be anxious of destroying the most expensive+delicate skate part I've ever bought. No slappies?

I just buy the regular swiss so I can't say for sure but I keep mine out of water or sand and that is all I do to take care of them and they last years.  I assume the 6 have less balls though, so I'm not sure if they would handle a beating as well but that is only speculation.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1224 on: December 20, 2023, 03:33:52 PM »
abec 11's got me chasing after my skateboard

https://rootindustries.com/products/root-industries-abec-bearings-pack-10-pack-tube

Sorry to be that guy but there's no such thing as Abec 11. The term "Abec 11" was used by a longboard wheels company as a play on words and because the Abec scale only goes to 10. They might be fast and with good tolerances but they won't be Abec 11..

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: December 20, 2023, 04:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Sorry to be that guy but there's no such thing as Abec 11. The term "Abec 11" was used by a longboard wheels company as a play on words and because the Abec scale only goes to 10. They might be fast and with good tolerances but they won't be Abec 11..

ABEC ∞

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #1226 on: December 20, 2023, 04:38:28 PM »
Swiss bro
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1227 on: December 29, 2023, 07:32:13 AM »
I saw Mini Logo bearings in Christmas completes at my local that spun as fast as Swiss.

here's an opportunity to repeat this is a useless consideration.
Free spin doesn't mean shit. It says nothing about performance under load, durability or any characteristic of a bearing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 07:46:55 AM by BALARGUE »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1228 on: December 29, 2023, 06:39:26 PM »
I run Swiss 6 on my main
I have a cruiser rain setup
With mini logo.
Swiss rule but mini logo are decently

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #1229 on: December 30, 2023, 02:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

here's an opportunity to repeat this is a useless consideration.
Free spin doesn't mean shit. It says nothing about performance under load, durability or any characteristic of a bearing.

In theory yes, in practice yes and no from personal experience. Bearings that spin forever (>60 sec) when spun without load will also perform well with load. Doesnt apply to new bearings tho.