Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 176775 times)

manysnakes

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2023, 05:32:00 AM »
cross lock 50-50s? totally fine and acceptable, definitely not as offensive as a lot of people on here make them out to be

It looks dumb when someone skates like 169 trucks and does it, but otherwise it doesn't bother me.

IpathCats

« Reply #781 on: February 17, 2023, 07:22:56 AM »
cross lock 50-50s? totally fine and acceptable, definitely not as offensive as a lot of people on here make them out to be

the taller/looser/wider your trucks are, the worse it is. All of those things exaggerate the look of the cross lock

Aint no one complaining about a cross locked 5050 on some 5.0 venture lows cranked down all tight

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »
The new Ishod Spitfire part is boring.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2023, 09:41:40 AM »

I enjoyed it but I can see why some people aren’t into it. His skating is really smooth and can almost be robotic at times. There are some serious bangers in this part though. That fakie flip down the SF triple set was nuts. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the doom song.

Pastasash

• Rep: 78
« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I enjoyed it but I can see why some people aren’t into it. His skating is really smooth and can almost be robotic at times. There are some serious bangers in this part though. That fakie flip down the SF triple set was nuts. This might be an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the doom song.

not an unpopular opinion as that is arguably one his best/most recognizable songs, but I don't think it fits in a skate video

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
Cylinder bushings are better than Conicalbecause they provide a more stable base for tricks and popping ollies.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

work_lurker

• Rep: 100
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #786 on: February 17, 2023, 05:04:09 PM »
I really like Enjoi boards and have been skating nothing else since 2018. RSVP panda  :(
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #787 on: February 17, 2023, 05:08:08 PM »
i once held in a shit for 5 days and weighed myself before and after. i shit you not i lost 11 pounds in 30 minutes. one of the most satisfying things ive ever done in my life

That’s actually pretty impressive..
//////////

JRF

« Reply #788 on: February 17, 2023, 05:14:39 PM »
My friend, take it from me, you do not want to bring up bottlepissing here

I do not get chad muska at all, seems like a “you had to be there” thing. Sure he’s a nice guy but my god did his skating look like shit

Watching him in person, during his late toy machine days was pretty amazing. I watched him and penny skate hubba hideout and it was unreal, penny did the most amazing back tail down it like it was nothing and muska almost front shove back 50-50’d it. Penny also came pretty close to a frontside flip 180 nosegrind down it too. Same day gershon switch frontside smith’d it. Really amazing day if I hadn’t of slammed on it super hard, probably in my top 5 worst slams of my life, knocked the wind out of myself really fucking bad and hit my head super hard, other than that it was an amazing session/day.
//////////

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #789 on: February 17, 2023, 06:16:59 PM »
It’s crazy the dude could put out a part that the vast majority of pros couldn’t replicate, let alone produce that level of skating every six to nine months for years

And we’re like “eh not his best”

I mean it wasn’t but that part was still so sick

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #790 on: February 17, 2023, 06:30:37 PM »
Guys it's about to get spicy. I don't even know if it's an opinion or just a fact that nobody wants to hear (not even myself):

Powell is the only legit (big) skateboard company.

Powell develops, manufactures and sells skateboards.

Ever single other company is just a marketing company that sells merch, developed and manufactured by other companies.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing but it's probably still gonna ruin somebody's day.
Bye

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 178
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #791 on: February 17, 2023, 06:43:50 PM »
Guys it's about to get spicy. I don't even know if it's an opinion or just a fact that nobody wants to hear (not even myself):

Ever single other company is just a marketing company that sells merch, developed and manufactured by other companies.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing but it's probably still gonna ruin somebody's day.
Bye

Get on Powell=Get your teeth fixed

Look at Bev and look at Dan WOULD YOU PLEASE LOOK AT DAN

bardcore

• Rep: -25
« Reply #792 on: February 17, 2023, 06:58:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Bye
[close]

Look at Bev and look at Dan WOULD YOU PLEASE LOOK AT DAN\
Powell has that code of ethics
Maintain the image
And method air
And comb your hair
I forget the rest of the handbook
But whoever follows
Will surely kook

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #793 on: February 17, 2023, 09:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bye
[close]

Look at Bev and look at Dan WOULD YOU PLEASE LOOK AT DAN\
[close]
Powell has that code of ethics
Maintain the image
And method air
And comb your hair
I forget the rest of the handbook
But whoever follows
Will surely kook

You're falling off pretty hard man. In fact after that ninja kook quote and this you are officially cancelled.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #794 on: February 17, 2023, 09:26:21 PM »
Expand Quote

I do not get chad muska at all, seems like a “you had to be there” thing. Sure he’s a nice guy but my god did his skating look like shit
[close]

Watching him in person, during his late toy machine days was pretty amazing. I watched him and penny skate hubba hideout and it was unreal, penny did the most amazing back tail down it like it was nothing and muska almost front shove back 50-50’d it. Penny also came pretty close to a frontside flip 180 nosegrind down it too. Same day gershon switch frontside smith’d it. Really amazing day if I hadn’t of slammed on it super hard, probably in my top 5 worst slams of my life, knocked the wind out of myself really fucking bad and hit my head super hard, other than that it was an amazing session/day.

Mind if I ask what you were trying?

JRF

« Reply #795 on: February 17, 2023, 09:55:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Not at all. But take into consideration that I probably wouldn’t even be able to switch back tail it back then..but that day I started trying switch flip switch backside tailslide down it, first it was just a pipe dream but then I got it up on the ledge and then actually got locked in and slid most of it. Then, when I was ready to try and commit i over shot the tail and my wheels went on top the ledge into back lip and I was instantly thrown straight back and landed neck and shoulders first on the ground. In all fairness I should’ve never tried it, I had that trick pretty comfortably on ledges, but trying to take it down hubba was a far stretch and that slam was probably inevitable. I tried it again 3-4 years later but I couldn’t get that slam out of my head from before and I couldn’t fully commit past getting into the tailslide and then instantly bailing right after locking in. I was terrified of hubba hideout after that slam.
//////////

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #796 on: February 17, 2023, 10:04:11 PM »
Muska strikes me as someone who got really good, really fast…..I think there was a bit of a transition between progressive tech skating to gnar….and people you didn’t expect were suddenly insane.  Mcrank was like that too… mini ramp champ, fly out kid….then suddenly the best dude…

Pre shortys muska:

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #797 on: February 18, 2023, 12:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not at all. But take into consideration that I probably wouldn’t even be able to switch back tail it back then..but that day I started trying switch flip switch backside tailslide down it, first it was just a pipe dream but then I got it up on the ledge and then actually got locked in and slid most of it. Then, when I was ready to try and commit i over shot the tail and my wheels went on top the ledge into back lip and I was instantly thrown straight back and landed neck and shoulders first on the ground. In all fairness I should’ve never tried it, I had that trick pretty comfortably on ledges, but trying to take it down hubba was a far stretch and that slam was probably inevitable. I tried it again 3-4 years later but I couldn’t get that slam out of my head from before and I couldn’t fully commit past getting into the tailslide and then instantly bailing right after locking in. I was terrified of hubba hideout after that slam.

Gotta dream big! Would have been a pretty epic NBD but that slam does sound bad. Can't blame ya for being scared of it after. Looked like a pretty burly spot by all means.

I've never seen that Muska part before. Feels weird with no huge 5050s or noseslides. Still has a tailslide down a smallish hubba though and some of the mobbest rocket flips haha

Banned from the room

« Reply #798 on: February 18, 2023, 12:38:03 AM »
Skate park bowls are meh. Idky everyone wants to build those. Waste of street course space. Who the fuck wants to hang up on a front side slash fall to flat at the concrete park when you can build a back yard ramp and get good fast.

I'm too old to steal wood but I'd definitely steal some coping for someone else's build. Go out rob a work sight. Build a ramp with your homies.

Maybe you can get a vert guy as soty in a few years. Definitely not going to happen if kids ain't building ramps.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #799 on: February 18, 2023, 01:05:11 AM »
Skate park bowls are meh. Idky everyone wants to build those. Waste of street course space. Who the fuck wants to hang up on a front side slash fall to flat at the concrete park when you can build a back yard ramp and get good fast.

I'm too old to steal wood but I'd definitely steal some coping for someone else's build. Go out rob a work sight. Build a ramp with your homies.

Maybe you can get a vert guy as soty in a few years. Definitely not going to happen if kids ain't building ramps.

Why put street obstacles in a skatepark when you have a whole city of streets? Skate parks are for tranny
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

JRF

« Reply #800 on: February 18, 2023, 01:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Gotta dream big! Would have been a pretty epic NBD but that slam does sound bad. Can't blame ya for being scared of it after. Looked like a pretty burly spot by all means.

I've never seen that Muska part before. Feels weird with no huge 5050s or noseslides. Still has a tailslide down a smallish hubba though and some of the mobbest rocket flips haha

Haha! For sure man! I feel that! That spot is so different in real life compared to how it looks on video and in magazines. The ledge is pretty tall at the top and the slant of the ledge is pretty mellow, so if you miss locking in to your trick at the top there’s a good chance you might sack the ledge or bounce off of it before you make it to the bottom. Watching lavar, Marc Johnson and gershon skate it in person was unreal, those guys could rifle off 10 warm up tricks down it like nothing before they’re ready to try what they came there to do on it.
//////////

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #801 on: February 18, 2023, 01:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

not an unpopular opinion as that is arguably one his best/most recognizable songs, but I don't think it fits in a skate video
same
i was stoked to hear it at first and then i felt it doesn't really work

Banned from the room

« Reply #802 on: February 18, 2023, 07:48:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why put street obstacles in a skatepark when you have a whole city of streets? Skate parks are for tranny

Definitely not stairs. Unless it's actually in a shallow end....... And it's made of wood

Wood is better

disclosed

• Rep: 188
« Reply #803 on: February 18, 2023, 08:12:11 AM »

how many skaters do you know who have space for a backyard ramp? hell most don't even have a backyard.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #804 on: February 18, 2023, 08:50:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can't hold my shit at all. If the bathroom is occupied I will take poo in my room on a handy towel and then flush the parcel after the fact.
[close]

While pooping onto a paper towel in your bedroom, do you ever pause and wonder “Where did it all go wrong?”
[close]

I used to live with 3 other people and we had one bathroom. One morning my roommate was taking a shower and I had to shit really bad. I was trying to get him out of the bathroom but he was being an asshole and not cooperating. I had to go so bad I started looking around for a reasonable place to relieve myself, and spotted and empty pizza box from the night before

I lived with this married couple when I was 21 and one of them would frequently walk in the shared bathroom while I was showering and just take a shit and talk to me throughout the process.

I miss that crazy old bastard. RIP Jeff.

manysnakes

« Reply #805 on: February 18, 2023, 08:57:50 AM »
Most "street" parks are incredibly boring. The most fun and interesting skateparks are the ones which create new objects on which to skate, not ones which reproduce the sorts of things you find in Southern California schoolyards. But as always, a good balance between "street" objects and something more novel.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #806 on: February 18, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I can't hold my shit at all. If the bathroom is occupied I will take poo in my room on a handy towel and then flush the parcel after the fact.
[close]

While pooping onto a paper towel in your bedroom, do you ever pause and wonder “Where did it all go wrong?”
[close]

I used to live with 3 other people and we had one bathroom. One morning my roommate was taking a shower and I had to shit really bad. I was trying to get him out of the bathroom but he was being an asshole and not cooperating. I had to go so bad I started looking around for a reasonable place to relieve myself, and spotted and empty pizza box from the night before
[close]

I lived with this married couple when I was 21 and one of them would frequently walk in the shared bathroom while I was showering and just take a shit and talk to me throughout the process.

I would totally not be fucking okay with that.

Banned from the room

« Reply #807 on: February 18, 2023, 02:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how many skaters do you know who have space for a backyard ramp? hell most don't even have a backyard.

I guess I'm lucky to be where I'm at. Lots of yards and wooded areas to build in.

It's just no one wants to build anything with me.

I am blessed to be near a killer diy tho. I just get bummed skating there alone. I skate street all day everyday alone already.

Most "street" parks are incredibly boring. The most fun and interesting skateparks are the ones which create new objects on which to skate, not ones which reproduce the sorts of things you find in Southern California schoolyards. But as always, a good balance between "street" objects and something more novel.

I agree. It's probably that the bowls being built around here are not the right shape. I'm not sure what the town of Salem was thinking at all.
They had Grindline build the most boring park on earth with metal coping in the bowl too.

I miss all the barriers that was around last year. Really that's all I need for transition to be happy. Or the ole parking block on a blacktop bank. That's my jam.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #808 on: February 18, 2023, 06:53:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I would totally not be fucking okay with that.

Steam vapours are a hell of a drug.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -419
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #809 on: February 18, 2023, 07:05:12 PM »
Probably my weirdest quirk is that I find it very demeaning to be like “occupied! busy!” when somebody is trying to get into the bathroom so like the last three times it happened I just let them walk in and make eye contact until they leave. I was staying in a hostel where you had individual rooms and a shared bathroom about a month ago, this guy walks in while I’m getting naked about to shower (unbeknownst to me the lock was broken), he’s like “oh shit my bad dude” I’m like “haha don’t worry man it’s cool” he starts to walk in then stops and asks me to hand him something from the shower, it’s a fucking rubber kitchen spatula. Like the kind you use to spread icing on a cake. Idk how that dude worked it into his shower routine but he was cool