Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 798479 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7320 on: January 03, 2024, 09:18:23 AM »
I was a lock in sceptic but they perform as advertised. Been locking into some long 50 50s on curbs and coping.

Lock-ins - yes
Lock-ins Full - no

@TwisT image clearly explains this
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 06:49:53 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #7321 on: January 03, 2024, 09:21:27 AM »
Yes, it did.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2251
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7322 on: January 03, 2024, 08:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I hate lock in fulls
[close]

Well, I’m sold.
Just picked up a set of Lock-In Fulls in a convenient 55mm/99du format so I can ascertain for myself what has got your panties all in a twist.
I should probably disclose that I am a big fan of having my panties thoroughly twisted, BTW, so naturally I was curious.
Thanks for the “recommendation.”

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7323 on: January 03, 2024, 08:30:53 PM »
Maybe the idea of an asymmetrical wheel in general throws a lot of people off, especially when its not thaaat different on either side, might as well just get a conical or something.

I think lock in fulls are just too clunky. When you have a wheel thaaat wide, a more rounded edge probably helps a lot with making it feel more nimble. I have a friend who gets spits, likes wide wheels, loved the radial fulls but said the lock in fulls were "more effort for no reason".

That being said I skated my set of lock in fulls for a good few months and it didn't majorly hinder me in any way, rolling felt nice and they definitely lock in.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7324 on: January 03, 2024, 11:08:46 PM »
They sure feel like a softer wheel. Can't wait to get rid of them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #7325 on: January 04, 2024, 04:30:28 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using Powell Dragons (or the Bones equivalent) as filmer wheels?

I'm going on a trip and don't want to have to bring two setups/sets of wheels and it sounds like these would be a pretty decent option for both skating and filming. I'm just not sure if they're smooth and quiet enough to be comparable to something like a Spitfire cruiser wheel that I usually would film with, but assume they're quieter than a normal F4 or something.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7326 on: January 04, 2024, 08:11:31 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using Powell Dragons (or the Bones equivalent) as filmer wheels?

I'm going on a trip and don't want to have to bring two setups/sets of wheels and it sounds like these would be a pretty decent option for both skating and filming. I'm just not sure if they're smooth and quiet enough to be comparable to something like a Spitfire cruiser wheel that I usually would film with, but assume they're quieter than a normal F4 or something.

If you don't want to lug around two setups/extra wheels, dragons are the right [only] choice.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7327 on: January 04, 2024, 11:47:20 PM »

They are generally quiet, depending on the terrain of course. On smooth surfaces they are pretty much dead silent. Some noise on rougher ground, but nothing like normal hard wheels. I'd say go with Dragons.

doyle

• Rep: 213
« Reply #7328 on: January 05, 2024, 08:54:10 AM »
Thank you both! Sounds like I'll be tracking down a set soon.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #7329 on: January 05, 2024, 04:04:07 PM »
Set up some 58mm X99 V5s on my big egg to handle bowl/parking lot/rough skatepark duties. Fun first sesh on them - they still chirp and slide but just sound a little more muted and absorb some of the microbumps.

Nothing drastic or game changing but that’s not what I was looking for with these. No noticeable speed loss, actually felt faster in the old bowl but that may have been the fresh bearings.

Overall very happy with my first non-F4 wheel in 5+ years.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7330 on: January 06, 2024, 09:54:52 AM »
Expand Quote
so i never got around to ordering any of the newest loophole wheel drop yet, anyone give them a shot yet and have good/bad words?
[close]

Think they are using HLC, haven’t gotten a chance to get them, may grab a pair for a cruiser but right now I’m on a F4 kick so I’ll stick to those

yeah i'm in the same boat, but another drop hit their shop so maybe it's a sign i should give it a try. will report back if i pull the trigger this time

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #7331 on: January 06, 2024, 06:24:28 PM »
Did some immediate testing between x99 and x97’s on power sliding the wheels on smooth skatepark ground, and popping some Ollies on flat:

- x97 is grippier and more difficult to get a chirp, than x99 (duh), but the x99’s were still kind of grippy… just a bit less so.
- x97’s have noticeable less vibration in the feet after landing ollies, than the x99.

So… if you are not the elderly, and don’t have constant back pain and arch pain… get the x99 over the x97 for more harder wheel sliding good fun… and when you wanna go skate the crunchy, it will still do a great job at it keeping speed up and be less rattly than those “other” wheels.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

DefunktdSkateboards

• Rep: -20
« Reply #7332 on: January 06, 2024, 06:46:54 PM »
Interested to hear what other people are riding other than Spits or Bones. Did a search and was surprised there wasn't a thread for other wheel manus. There is a great selection of smaller brands... Autobahn, OJ, Broadcast, Paradise, Pusher, SML, PFC, Type S, etc. Definitely interested to hear what people are skating.

Currently on these on these SML Herrington 53 Wides and I love them. They were a little slick for my tastes at first but after a few sessions they're perfect. For anyone that prefers wider wheels they are great:

Just finished up on OJ Dela 53. Wasn't a big fan of them on first ride, but gave them a revisit and I was pretty psyched:

I have these up next, Satori Guru 54:

Speedlabs are amazing 😍

Banned from the room

« Reply #7333 on: January 06, 2024, 09:14:38 PM »
Uncle Flea I love your enthusiasm ! i dont speak english as a main langage so i never know really wether you're drunk or playing with us but you're fun to read.
over 1/4 pads you have totally given up even the idea of doing ollies and pop, the thing is one meter above the ground and will stay levitating. for 66 i would still ride 1/4 and not go over.

I drink bongs most. A lot of bats. Sometimes I'll pill. But only if I can see the bottle. It's been a while. I don't fux with street nothing. Unless I can see the bottle. Then hit me off.

I trip but not rn. I need to be living better to trip. My mind wants to revisit stuff. I want to meditate. Not happening rn.

Soon when mushrooms are sold in stores here I'm gonna guru trip tour guide tourist.

I got the power.

I Mai Taied last gig. I only drink when I play shows really. I'm kinda proud of that too. Mai Tais made me sick af.

My blood sugar is up. No drinks anymore. Not even at shows.

Mostly I'm just being me lol. I get Ill if you got. I don't chase nothing but grass tho in 2024.

When those 66.6 wheels hit my kit it's a wrap yo. I'm gonna stack a couple 3plys I'll be fine. If I do 3 is for the colour combo. Two is good.

I'm gonna get some hollows if possible a 5.6 and im getting all three wheel sizes if I can. No way it's going to stay this good for long.

The 62 is an everyday wheel
the 60 is for the shelf because I can get that when ever.

and the 66.6 is for mashing through Salem across the bricks and speed checking mean ass tourist in October. Mashing the diy which is so nice rn. Mad obstacles. I gotta go after this stupid snow is gone.

There's a real bowl close by too. Metal coping and insanity transitions though. Going FS through the corner hurts my legs. It's a bummer. If it was pool coping I'd just grind through the corner for safety sake

Day one nice comfy pop isn't as important as like invisible back t on two wheels over the sewer cap and like wallies. Fakie to fakie sliders in traffic.

Maybe I'll figure out the gleaming the cube boomerang 90 degree 4 wheeler with the power I receive from this product....

I'm soooostoked on my 54mm radial full rn. Feeling the 97a formula. It's fuckin fast. Slides enough for me. Great control. I fuckin got worked in a damp garage a few days ago tho. Swellbowed af. Totally forgot where I was I was having so much fun.

I'm ok with missing out on the og 58 and 60 . .. that ain't happening with the Beat Downs lol

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #7334 on: January 10, 2024, 09:17:58 AM »
just want to chime in with a testimonial if there's anyone else on the fence and in their mid 30s it might help you out

skated formula 4 99 duros for forever, when the hype around the bones x 97 came around i got some and really liked them and have been on those since.

while cleaning i found some unskated spitfires and on a whim decided to go back to those, skated street, and the next day my feet/ankles/lower back were absolutely killing me. put the bones x 97 back on and the difference is night and day

i never really thought the difference between 99 and 97 duro would be noticeable at all but it is. also you can skate longer because the wheels are noticeably faster, so you push less

everyone puts graphics in anyway so just get em your lower body will thank you

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7335 on: January 10, 2024, 10:27:18 AM »
just want to chime in with a testimonial if there's anyone else on the fence and in their mid 30s it might help you out

skated formula 4 99 duros for forever, when the hype around the bones x 97 came around i got some and really liked them and have been on those since.

while cleaning i found some unskated spitfires and on a whim decided to go back to those, skated street, and the next day my feet/ankles/lower back were absolutely killing me. put the bones x 97 back on and the difference is night and day

i never really thought the difference between 99 and 97 duro would be noticeable at all but it is. also you can skate longer because the wheels are noticeably faster, so you push less

Couldn’t agree more.  I hated bones for so long since the STF were the worst feeling wheels to me back when.  Skated regular spitfires for years before FF came out and was on that 2013-2023.  It’s been said but the x formula is real winner and I wouldn’t be surprised if many spitf riders are low key riding these.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #7336 on: January 10, 2024, 10:36:52 AM »
I skated F4 99a in a wooden miniramp today, instead of X99 or X97 which I usually use there and I cannot believe/understand how/why people (me included) have ever done that. It feels like absolute shit. It's just making skating much harder for no reason. Same thing in the indoor park. Was so glad I had some X97 in my backpack.

i never really thought the difference between 99 and 97 duro would be noticeable at all but it is.

I don't think F4 99a are actually 99a. 99a is meaningless anyway because the A scale is only accurate up to 90 or something like that? I wish somebody would actually measure all these wheels with a durometer. Preferably in the B scale so the numbers actually mean something.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7337 on: January 10, 2024, 07:17:12 PM »

F4 99/97 vs X-form 99/97 is apples and oranges - it's more about the formula than it is durometer...each camps 97/99s skate totally differently than each other.  I was riding a few setups over the weekend for some testing/madness one had conical 99a (black thane), another with ricta 101a, another with x97 and ANOTHER with x99s (which I swapped between white v1s and black v6s, that mad).

First, I was surprised how not chattery the 101 rictas were, I liked how they felt with forged plates. Weird. I skated those first / for a while to sort of set my body and expectations up for the softer wheels. I really like how hard they were, but they don't slide as well as stfs or f4s.

I've been on x97/99a for so long I am super used to them / they were fine. I'm finding that the well seasoned x97s slide much better than the x99s on flat ground (powerslides and reverts and especially on super chuck terrain they just glide), but the x99s perform better on slidey/grindy tricks or smoother terrain - today I went to a rough ass spot with 54mm x97s and those fuckers broke free while pushing to get speed (like pushing too fast and you get front foot speed wobble), I had so much weight front foot that the back was too light and just vibrated free).

The 99a spits...I don't know if the wheels are just 'beat' (or because I came straight off the rictas) but they felt like total shit...soft and slow, which was weird as I had put these on weeks ago after being on x99s for a while and they felt really hard...took them off and put on some semi-fresh white spit 99a lockins and it was night and day, they felt like 101s (and also heavy).

As for saving the knees, yeah man, 97s, even x99s...even the black x99s, which feel harder to me than the whites, will have you skating longer/with less fatigue/soreness the next day.

Just choose the right wheel for the job...but it's safe to say you can get away with x97/99s anywhere you are skating any 99a, and definitely places you wouldn't want to touch with other brands 99a.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 07:42:07 PM by Xen »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7338 on: January 10, 2024, 09:29:44 PM »
All those posts make me want to setup my X99 now and is 6:29 am
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7339 on: January 13, 2024, 09:51:19 AM »
All those posts make me want to setup my X99 now and is 6:29 am

🤷‍♂️
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7340 on: January 13, 2024, 10:00:55 AM »
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7341 on: January 13, 2024, 10:02:02 AM »
lets get a report back on how they skate asap, especially how they pinch, grind, slide etc pls
Tomorrow I'll report boss 🫡
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

onkalo

« Reply #7342 on: January 13, 2024, 10:35:36 AM »

The slide feels stickier than f4 99a, but still slide well. Grinds and pinch feel (at least to me) somewhat similar to classic shape spitfires. On crusty ground they’re smoother than f4 99a and in terms of speed maybe a bit slower on smooth surfaces. Very good wheels imo.

manuduncan

« Reply #7343 on: January 13, 2024, 10:35:49 AM »
oh sick! i've only skated the xformula 97s, im curious how the 99s are now though

in my head i might be able to pinch better on 99s but i'm sure that's just an excuse and i should be able to do them fine

but i find the x97 to just be so much faster than spitfires and 99s in general which i love

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7344 on: January 13, 2024, 12:05:50 PM »

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

@moonordie go team V5 x99 headrush!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:18:31 PM by Xen »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • sup dog
« Reply #7345 on: January 13, 2024, 03:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While more feedback is always good, this thread is filled with feedback on the x99s my dude (and in direct response to you from waaaay back in September), unless moon is your own personal jesus and you need his blessing on gear first? Just fucking buy a set already.

Please remove that photo. My fragile little mind cannot process its glory, and I fear I may go mad with infatuation.

Chop, chop. Let’s not have such beautiful things in the thread now here. Come on now. Off with it.

;D
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7346 on: January 13, 2024, 10:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Please remove that photo. My fragile little mind cannot process its glory, and I fear I may go mad with infatuation.

Chop, chop. Let’s not have such beautiful things in the thread now here. Come on now. Off with it.

;D

From a distance those Bones wheels remind me of something from the past, maybe Blockhead wheels or something else.

I had seen the image up close as per other people with show and tell, but I had to look twice and get a zoom in then realised they were the same wheels.

Funny thing I was at a family thing today with some boards in the car, just a normal bitumen road and had a push up and down.

The Spitifre 97s that I usually skate only on smooth parks sure did feel slow on the road, whereas they felt super good on the new skateparks I go to.

Other boards with cruiser wheels 90 duro or less were the usual fun push up and down with the kids, even the usual Formula Four 99s which I know are fast and noisy, felt better than the 97s.

Just an observation though.  Hopefully helped to get your mind off those other ones, or make you more at ease getting some.

Not a worry either way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7347 on: January 14, 2024, 01:21:34 AM »
A homie of mine stepped on my board at our local indoor a couple of days ago. He was hella stoked on how my X99's felt for him instantly. He's riding OJ 101s at the moment and while he rips 10 times better than me, he admits that the 101's tend to be too slide-y especially for the plywood surfaces at the park.

I don't know, feels like it's bordering on too much how the X99 gets praise on this thread and how I keep repeating myself about them here, but honestly, they pretty much single-handedly cured my winter indoor park wheel madness.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7348 on: January 14, 2024, 05:31:11 AM »

Was freezing cold today but I manage to try the wheels. Sure in a perfect ground park they don't shine but still they feel really good. They keep speed for longer and once broken in they slide nicely.
Then I went to some less nice ground IE street and sire they outperform F4 99 imo. They absorb vibration and ground imperfections really nicely while still being be to power slide/revet out of tricks.
Pretty happy with them finally there's a F4 alternative. For me the best is to have 2 setups since heven tho I think I like X99 better I'm still super used to the F4 slideability and I love it.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7349 on: January 14, 2024, 09:22:24 PM »
am i gonna have to wax a ledge or rail more than i do when skating f4s tho