Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798077 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #1560 on: January 17, 2020, 01:04:34 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1561 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:59 AM »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1562 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
255’s are a half size up?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1563 on: January 18, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #1564 on: January 20, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
255’s are a half size up?

Fit True to Size

Only NB#'s I have on repeat, I think I'm on my 6th pair

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #1565 on: January 20, 2020, 06:44:21 PM »

i got to met Roth and the NB# boys in november, forgot to post this in here.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #1566 on: January 20, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »
^ Sick!

Since Numeric is one of the two companies I know for sure checks SLAP, just wanna let y’all know you’re killin’ it. Awesome designs and quality.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1567 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28:36 AM »
does the 288 sport fit the same as the 288?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1568 on: January 21, 2020, 12:37:54 AM »

A tad roomier

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1569 on: January 21, 2020, 01:20:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A tad roomier
thx homie
ordered a white/royal pair of the 288S
look comfy
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1570 on: January 21, 2020, 03:39:25 AM »
I got some 288s to go with my 440's and man, I feel like I skate good in them because I feel like I look good in them. One of the better looking shoes I have had on my feet in a while.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #1571 on: January 21, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
Can anyone give me some definitive intel on what the sole is like on the 440? I've read 'very flexible for a cupsole' some places, and 'a little stiff out of the box others,' and I've found conflicting information on whether or not there's a midsole, and what it's made of. I'm looking for a supportive cupsole with at least a bit of midsole cushioning. Trying to avoid anything too floppy/thin.

I warranty returned a paid of 913's (the plastic eyelet piece broke on one after a few days of walking in them), so I now have credit to use at the NB online store. One of my local shops carries NB#, but doesn't have any of the models I like, so I can't try them on, and I'd rather not order online and return 10 times.

I liked the support/cushioning on the 913's, but found them a bit narrow in the heel (I wear orthotics and they didn't quite sit right in there). Handled a pair of the 288S in the shop, and could tell that sole is too thin for me. I ordered a pair of 420's, but sent them back because they were too big. I didn't love how the uppers felt on the 420's or how they look, but they'd probably fit if I went down half a size. I'm considering getting sized down 420's, 440's, or the All Coasts 574's.

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #1572 on: January 21, 2020, 10:25:52 AM »
^ Sick!

Since Numeric is one of the two companies I know for sure checks SLAP, just wanna let y’all know you’re killin’ it. Awesome designs and quality.

Too kind dudes!  I would pass along the compliment to the design dept...but he's reading this thread now and knows already.  Thanks for the hype Pals. 

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1573 on: January 21, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
Can anyone give me some definitive intel on what the sole is like on the 440? I've read 'very flexible for a cupsole' some places, and 'a little stiff out of the box others,' and I've found conflicting information on whether or not there's a midsole, and what it's made of. I'm looking for a supportive cupsole with at least a bit of midsole cushioning. Trying to avoid anything too floppy/thin.

I warranty returned a paid of 913's (the plastic eyelet piece broke on one after a few days of walking in them), so I now have credit to use at the NB online store. One of my local shops carries NB#, but doesn't have any of the models I like, so I can't try them on, and I'd rather not order online and return 10 times.

I liked the support/cushioning on the 913's, but found them a bit narrow in the heel (I wear orthotics and they didn't quite sit right in there). Handled a pair of the 288S in the shop, and could tell that sole is too thin for me. I ordered a pair of 420's, but sent them back because they were too big. I didn't love how the uppers felt on the 420's or how they look, but they'd probably fit if I went down half a size. I'm considering getting sized down 420's, 440's, or the All Coasts 574's.
440's are a wider collar, less athletic, more of a regular shoe than the 913. not floppy, not too stiff. What have you skated recently that you liked? probably best way to figure out if you'll like them.

Crap

« Reply #1574 on: January 21, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
440's are a wider collar, less athletic, more of a regular shoe than the 913. not floppy, not too stiff. What have you skated recently that you liked? probably best way to figure out if you'll like them.

Thanks for the insight - shoes I have liked recently: Nike Dunk, Adidas Tyshawn, Cons Pro Leather.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1575 on: January 21, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Thanks for the insight - shoes I have liked recently: Nike Dunk, Adidas Tyshawn, Cons Pro Leather.

I like the same 3 shoes: dunk, tyshawn, pro leather. So I’m listening in for the recs.
I don’t really care about performance, durability, board feel. Just foot pain prevention.

Crap

« Reply #1576 on: January 21, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »
^^ Exactly the same for me.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1577 on: January 21, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I would say the most significant difference you will find between those ^ and the 440 is the ankle collar tbh. All those have puffier, higher cut ankles.

As far as sole goes I would say it has better board feel than the Dunk but generally the same ballpark. For reference I think the Dunk has good board feel when broken in.  I can't speak for the other two.

I felt like there was good impact protection. It has a  C-Cap EVA heel wedge which I believe is in the midsole. I don't have the pair on hand with me right now though.

As far as being "a little stiff out of the box" yeah... but that's how I want all my shoes. You gotta put in a little work walking around in shoes for a few days before you skate them. I feel like shoes that feel great right out of the box aren't going to last. I want the shoe to be a tad bit molded to my foot and creased up a bit before I get out there skating. The obsession with shoes that "skate great right out of the box" seems weird to me when the best skate shoes tend to need breaking in. Maybe that's just me though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:11:29 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:16 AM »
My first inclination was to equate the 440 to a Dunk in feel. The toe box feels similar to me, but I think the 440 has a little more in the way of support.

Crap

« Reply #1579 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
As far as being "a little stiff out of the box" yeah... but that's how I want all my shoes. You gotta put in a little work walking around in shoes for a few days before you skate them. I feel like shoes that feel great right out of the box aren't going to last. I want the shoe to be a tad bit molded to my foot and creased up a bit before I get out there skating. The obsession with shoes that "skate great right out of the box" seems weird to me when the best skate shoes tend to need breaking in. Maybe that's just me though.

Oh yeah, let me be clear here - 'a little stiff out of the box' is like bare minimum stiffness to me - I'm exactly with you. Shoes that are stiff out of the box break in, mold to your foot, and eventually flex where you want them to, while staying stable in the places where you don't want them to flex. Those Cons Pro Leathers especially are bricks when you first get them. Shoes that are 'skate great out of the box' are usually no good to me - they already feel worn out before they leave the store. I'm baffled by that marketing selling point.

My first inclination was to equate the 440 to a Dunk in feel. The toe box feels similar to me, but I think the 440 has a little more in the way of support.
This is like a choir of angels singing to me.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1580 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:57 AM »

More support? I didn't notice that. Doesn't mean it isn't true though.

As far as toe box goes, the 440 toe box is shallower, with less room to wiggle your toes up and down. It's not too shallow though, it rests just above. I can't stand shoes that bear down. Toe shape is the #1 reason I tried out the 440.

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1581 on: January 21, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
Skated a couple 440’s. The westgate shoe isn’t wide enough for me, didn’t like my 420’s all that much but might have liked them more in a half size down, loved the 868’s. There’s been a gap in truly protective NB# shoes in 2019, so the 440 made the most sense for me to get. It gets the job done but I would like the shoe alot better with a bit more protection. I have a heel bruise from a missed tre flip while wearing them that’s been messing with me for months. I actually started slipping in a second insole when the sole starts wearing down because it helps prevent my bone spur shit in my popping/pushing big toe from flaring up. Shoes’s like project BA and 868 are my favorites because i felt confident and would never hurt my feet. I’m 28, things are starting to hurt and i’m planning on skating in my 50’s. I would absolutely sacrifice board feel for protection/pain reduction any day. I’ll gladly skate at a lower level if it means less pain and less sessions missed because of injuries. Overall, its a straight forward good and simple skate shoe but i would not consider it a shoe where protection is the priority.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1582 on: January 21, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As far as toe box goes, the 440 toe box is shallower, with less room to wiggle your toes up and down. It's not too shallow though, it rests just above. I can't stand shoes that bear down. Toe shape is the #1 reason I tried out the 440.

I feel like the midsole on the Dunk is close to not existing, but it has been a while since my last pair of those. My feet don't hurt after a session in 440's, particularly around the heel, so it seemed like the support was more present. Could be completely anecdotal, though.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1583 on: January 21, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
Skated a couple 440’s. The westgate shoe isn’t wide enough for me, didn’t like my 420’s all that much but might have liked them more in a half size down, loved the 868’s. There’s been a gap in truly protective NB# shoes in 2019, so the 440 made the most sense for me to get. It gets the job done but I would like the shoe alot better with a bit more protection. I have a heel bruise from a missed tre flip while wearing them that’s been messing with me for months. I actually started slipping in a second insole when the sole starts wearing down because it helps prevent my bone spur shit in my popping/pushing big toe from flaring up. Shoes’s like project BA and 868 are my favorites because i felt confident and would never hurt my feet. I’m 28, things are starting to hurt and i’m planning on skating in my 50’s. I would absolutely sacrifice board feel for protection/pain reduction any day. I’ll gladly skate at a lower level if it means less pain and less sessions missed because of injuries. Overall, its a straight forward good and simple skate shoe but i would not consider it a shoe where protection is the priority.

Well this is off topic of the thread but the shoes I'm skating now are super protective, have a great midsole, and decent enough board feel: Vans Ultrarange Pro II. I think everyone has to get at least a half size larger for this model (I did) and having wide feet may make them uncomfortable at first. I'm 30 and basically just do a lot of flip tricks and manuals and these things are fucking awesome.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #1584 on: January 21, 2020, 11:54:14 AM »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1585 on: January 21, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »
Appreciate the contributions.
That skates great outta the box is one of those fucking horrible tropes, laziest shit, best dude out, style for miles, type of comment. Feels like I read those type of comments from tws for fucking ever. (Whew).
But yeah, it’s like the shoe already sucks when they ‘blah blah blah fresh outta the box’.
I dunno what changed, but I get heel bruises less often, and forefoot pain always. For that reason only the 868 was, although still great, not the end of my quest. The ave shoe is kinda like this as well, super stable, skates great, but I’m def getting hot soles from my feet slapping the ground. I’m closer to 50, than ya’ll, and feel like Air Force 1s would be a reasonable option (they aren’t really, I’ve tried, I’m just saying I’ll try stilts or bricks or whatever the fuck).
After forefoot pain there’s a bunch of other joint pain.  Biggest obstacle to me skating regularly. I’ve tried some ‘out of the box....’ ideas: Harden’s first shoe. Af-1s, several times, and looked at tons of other sports shoes. I’m sure I’m a small part of the skate purchasing world (super old person), but as more of us try and skate into the 50s (and beyond I hope, like at least roll push, maybe ollie a curb) some solutions would be nice. Not the right thread, at all, and I’m sorry for that and this nonsense, but I’m definitely down for weird ideas. The Lebron soldiers looked ....not really skateable. But close. Maybe Jordan 11 low. But Jesus. Anyways.
Nb has made some really well crafted shoes. Some high quality materials. It’ll be cool to see where they take it.

Crap

« Reply #1586 on: January 21, 2020, 12:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel like the midsole on the Dunk is close to not existing, but it has been a while since my last pair of those. My feet don't hurt after a session in 440's, particularly around the heel, so it seemed like the support was more present. Could be completely anecdotal, though.

Any idea how the forefoot support compares between Dunks and the 440? Dunks aren't TOO thin under the forefoot, but I wouldn't want it to be much thinner.

I'm definitely starting to lean toward the 440's in light of this thread - thanks for your input, everyone.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1587 on: January 21, 2020, 12:19:01 PM »
Appreciate the contributions.
That skates great outta the box is one of those fucking horrible tropes, laziest shit, best dude out, style for miles, type of comment. Feels like I read those type of comments from tws for fucking ever. (Whew).
But yeah, it’s like the shoe already sucks when they ‘blah blah blah fresh outta the box’.
I dunno what changed, but I get heel bruises less often, and forefoot pain always. For that reason only the 868 was, although still great, not the end of my quest. The ave shoe is kinda like this as well, super stable, skates great, but I’m def getting hot soles from my feet slapping the ground. I’m closer to 50, than ya’ll, and feel like Air Force 1s would be a reasonable option (they aren’t really, I’ve tried, I’m just saying I’ll try stilts or bricks or whatever the fuck).
After forefoot pain there’s a bunch of other joint pain.  Biggest obstacle to me skating regularly. I’ve tried some ‘out of the box....’ ideas: Harden’s first shoe. Af-1s, several times, and looked at tons of other sports shoes. I’m sure I’m a small part of the skate purchasing world (super old person), but as more of us try and skate into the 50s (and beyond I hope, like at least roll push, maybe ollie a curb) some solutions would be nice. Not the right thread, at all, and I’m sorry for that and this nonsense, but I’m definitely down for weird ideas. The Lebron soldiers looked ....not really skateable. But close. Maybe Jordan 11 low. But Jesus. Anyways.
Nb has made some really well crafted shoes. Some high quality materials. It’ll be cool to see where they take it.

I mean, I am 44 and the 440 is probably my go to at this point. I'd love to try the 913, so if NB wants to send me a box, we can talk. But I'm a mostly low impact (occasionally jumping down some stairs) guy and this shoe is ticking a lot of boxes for me.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: January 21, 2020, 12:32:32 PM »
i think the 440 would feel closest to the tyshawns for me. where as i skate busenitz more than other adidas. i would say dunks are hard to judge cause ive never fully gotten any to break in where i feel i could skate. as board board feel and thickness, they are thinner than a etnies marana but thicker than a vulc or dunk/busenitz in the forefoot.

rothdigga

• Rep: 584
« Reply #1589 on: January 21, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »

I think the Tiago 1010 is really going to make you happy.  Especially since you liked the 868...but you'll have to wait til July to get them.