Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363819 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #810 on: June 13, 2020, 10:15:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the bigger ventures? Most people seem to be riding smaller ones...any feedback would be cool
[close]
I'm currently skating the 6.1 on a 9.125 and they feel like a dream. Probably my favorite truck ever.
[close]
yep. Stock everything ? Mine are squeeking badly, I wanna try riptide pivot cups. Amazon?
[close]
Your on the east coast right? Might just be worth grabbing from warehouse skate. I think the amazon ones ship from Michigan vs warehouse being in NC
yes! Good call thanks. The 96a mini logo will fit?
https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/riptide-sports-wfb-lime-skateboard-truck-pivot-cups-mini-logo-96a

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #811 on: June 13, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone tried the bigger ventures? Most people seem to be riding smaller ones...any feedback would be cool
[close]
I'm currently skating the 6.1 on a 9.125 and they feel like a dream. Probably my favorite truck ever.
[close]
yep. Stock everything ? Mine are squeeking badly, I wanna try riptide pivot cups. Amazon?
Stock everything. Never touched anything on them. They're fabulous
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #812 on: June 13, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
I’ve been running mine totally stock and they’re getting nice and mushy. Put wax in the pivot cups and it got rid of the squeaking and made them turn smoother.

Probably won’t get Ventures again but there was a process to making them feel good. Waxed the cups, and skated them around doing slappies for like a month before they loosened up and started feeling really natural. Hated the grind at first and now it feels about the same as everything else. I hate modding my trucks.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #813 on: June 13, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Your on the east coast right? Might just be worth grabbing from warehouse skate. I think the amazon ones ship from Michigan vs warehouse being in NC
[close]
https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/riptide-sports-wfb-lime-skateboard-truck-pivot-cups-mini-logo-96a
I know the indys will fit just fine. The website at one point said which ones would fit multiple trucks but looks like they revamped the site a little and now venture has the green and a cracked ice option. Could always buy direct from them. I almost want to just to get the cracked ice but that’s a very beyond necessary thing for me to do hah

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #814 on: June 13, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Mini logo pivots are shorter than the Venture stock pivots, they are a bit shallower (much like tensor cups), so they would sink down a bit below the 'lip' of the baseplate. Stock ML pivots are HARD AS FUCK.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:39:58 PM by Xen »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #815 on: June 13, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Mini logo pivots are shorter than the Venture stock pivots, they are a bit shallower (much like tensor cups), so they would sink down a bit below the 'lip' of the baseplate. Stock ML pivots are HARD AS FUCK.
only see tensor alum and mini logo 96a as options on warehouse skate. Sounds like Neither of those will work. Ingrabbed shorty’s red pivot cups from land and sea a while back bc they were super cheap and they’re essentially hard plastic

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #816 on: June 13, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »

thelonelynow

« Reply #817 on: June 13, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
https://www.riptidesports.com/pivot-cups/

The single greatest aftermarket skateboard accessory I have ever purchased. I put these in all my trucks right from the start now.

I also have a question. I'm on my first week with my Venture 5.6 Titaniums and I skate my trucks moderately loose (kingpin nut flush with top of kingpin) and usually just use stock bushings. My question is how long do Venture bushings usually take to break-in? I'm used to Indy and Thunder which usually just take me a few hours to perhaps a day or two before they're set. The Ventures don't seem to be breaking in though, do they usually stay really soft? It is super hot and humid here but that doesn't usually keep bushings from breaking in properly in my experience. So far it's wheel bite all the time and not very good turning while there's a lot of lean. I've already given up on the Aces I was trying out because of constant bushing bulge and terrible re-centering that there seemed to be no solution to. I don't want to give up as quickly on Venture though. I would appreciate any advice. None of my friends skate Venture so I couldn't get any help from them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #818 on: June 13, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »

The single greatest aftermarket skateboard accessory I have ever purchased. I put these in all my trucks right from the start now.

I also have a question. I'm on my first week with my Venture 5.6 Titaniums and I skate my trucks moderately loose (kingpin nut flush with top of kingpin) and usually just use stock bushings. My question is how long do Venture bushings usually take to break-in? I'm used to Indy and Thunder which usually just take me a few hours to perhaps a day or two before they're set. The Ventures don't seem to be breaking in though, do they usually stay really soft? It is super hot and humid here but that doesn't usually keep bushings from breaking in properly in my experience. So far it's wheel bite all the time and not very good turning while there's a lot of lean. I've already given up on the Aces I was trying out because of constant bushing bulge and terrible re-centering that there seemed to be no solution to. I don't want to give up as quickly on Venture though. I would appreciate any advice. None of my friends skate Venture so I couldn't get any help from them.

Did you remove the top washer? It binds, perhaps that is what is causing it.

I've recently gone back to bones meds in my ventures.

thelonelynow

« Reply #819 on: June 13, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you remove the top washer? It binds, perhaps that is what is causing it.

I've recently gone back to bones meds in my ventures.

Remove it? Completely while skating? I never have and with how I skate I think the back truck bushing would get torn to bits within a few days. I do have some Bones mediums, I was hesitant to try them since I've messed up the threading on some kingpins using them before. I may give them a try though, thank you for the advice.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #820 on: June 13, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
Ok, so bushings and pivot cups...thats no an issue as i use bones bushing on Indy’s anyway...and i always put dishwashing liquid (prefer it to wax) in pivot cup and around bushings to stop the creaking sound.

Seems like I just need to get a pair to try for myself.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #821 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
Looking for thoughts on this...im thinking of switching from Indy 159’s to ventures.

I usually ride around 9” deck, shaped, 32 long and about a 14.25-14.5wb. Either AntiHero or Black Label decks.

I ride street...ledges and flat ground...sometimes ill ride a half pipe.

What kind of differences should i be expecting by switching? Is it gonna take more effort to pop? Am i gonna get more pop? Do they grind well?

I can only speak for current 5.6 and the 5.0 lows but I have tried the bigger trucks of others.

The Grind is different. But it's definitely superior once you get used to it. Once you begin getting groovy it's really nice.

It's a really hard metal truck. It almost like tin feeling at first. I would say this truck grinds faster but not easier than an Indy 11. After a few weeks difference will be unnoticeable.

It's a tall truck that pinches like a thunder because of the axle and kingpin position. I fall out less on crooked type tricks.

You definitely got to go faster to grind on crusty stuff with Ventures. And pool coping was kinda frightening till I got new wheels.

Turn change will be a drastic. Could ride the Indy bushings for a bit till your used to the geometry change.

Pop I've noticed is like a thunder. Nice aggressive lever action. Pow.

The stock bushings break in nice if one doesn't break all the way. Wish I had second set.

The Replacement parts (dlx tackle)
total a pain to find anything outside of 88a (clear) or 94a (green)
Stock is perfect hardness and should be cherished but I'm fucking cursed.

Bones tops break fast in Ventures with or without a washer.
 I need to find another set of stocks but I'm not holding breathe.

Manny powers are good I recommend fingers of flat
lots of flat before the kicks if you like that kinda thing.

The flat bar or anything metal is heavenly. I did my first few crooks on the flat bar at home. So nice.

Wheels up to 56s work out it seems.

I hope this helps if I repeated myself it's because I started this post like hrs ago and got distracted
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:01:29 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #822 on: June 14, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
Anyone actually measured baseplate to center of axle on venture? My cast are 55mm instead of 53.5 as listed everywhere, not a deal breaker but it makes me want to go forged baseplate to see what’s up. Guess I’m breaking out the forbidden gold PRod baseplates. Yuck.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #823 on: June 14, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »
Anyone actually measured baseplate to center of axle on venture? My cast are 55mm instead of 53.5 as listed everywhere, not a deal breaker but it makes me want to go forged baseplate to see what’s up. Guess I’m breaking out the forbidden gold PRod baseplates. Yuck.

the gold baseplates are sick fuckkkk the haters

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #824 on: June 14, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the gold baseplates are sick fuckkkk the haters

Blingin.
I dunno about that measurement (55mm). My cast seem shorter than Indy, when placed side by side (admittedly not a measurement).

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #825 on: June 14, 2020, 02:30:19 PM »
My apologies pals had to throw on my slight of hand perk and did a remeasure. Cast is def 53.5 and forged is 52. My mind can rest easier today even though someone broke into my fucking car with a hammer this morning and stole $50 of coins from my coinstar jar and took my favorite speaker smh, like whyyyy

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: June 14, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
My apologies pals had to throw on my slight of hand perk and did a remeasure. Cast is def 53.5 and forged is 52. My mind can rest easier today even though someone broke into my fucking car with a hammer this morning and stole $50 of coins from my coinstar jar and took my favorite speaker smh, like whyyyy

Fuck. I’m sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #827 on: June 14, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Looking for thoughts on this...im thinking of switching from Indy 159’s to ventures.

I usually ride around 9” deck, shaped, 32 long and about a 14.25-14.5wb. Either AntiHero or Black Label decks.

What kind of differences should i be expecting by switching? Is it gonna take more effort to pop? Am i gonna get more pop? Do they grind well?

[close]

I can only speak for current 5.6 and the 5.0 lows but I have tried the bigger trucks of others.

The Grind is different. But it's definitely superior once you get used to it. Once you begin getting groovy it's really nice.

It's a really hard metal truck. It almost like tin feeling at first. I would say this truck grinds faster but not easier than an Indy 11. After a few weeks difference will be unnoticeable.

It's a tall truck that pinches like a thunder because of the axle and kingpin position. I fall out less on crooked type tricks.

You definitely got to go faster to grind on crusty stuff with Ventures. And pool coping was kinda frightening till I got new wheels.

Turn change will be a drastic. Could ride the Indy bushings for a bit till your used to the geometry change.

The stock bushings break in nice if one doesn't break all the way. Wish I had second set.

Manny powers are good I recommend fingers of lots of flat before the kicks if you like that kinda thing.

The flat bar or anything metal is heavenly. I did my first few crooks on the flat bar at home. So nice.

I hope this helps if I repeated myself it's because I started this post like hrs ago and got distracted
I’m pretty sure I have a set of unskated stocks laying around if you need them

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: June 14, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
Best thread. I wanna try a flat washer (top or bottom?) with my 97a supercush

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: June 14, 2020, 07:19:38 PM »

Top to prevent washer binding for sure.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: June 14, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

dont have bones I hear top washer w those being used a lot but this size seems best
https://www.riptidesports.com/hardware/large-flat-washers/

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: June 14, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
dont have bones I hear top washer w those being used a lot but this size seems best
I want to try the bones top washer too and I’m 100 percent sure I have some but I haven’t taken the 30 seconds to find them yet haha

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #832 on: June 14, 2020, 10:40:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Manny powers are good I recommend fingers of flat
lots of flat before the kicks if you like that kinda thing.

mate, thanks for the detail response.

That's a lot of things to consider...in my old age, my go to tricks are 5050 on ledges, and anything that can my pop better is great too. I remember when i was young (in the 80's/90's) all trucks had a few weeks break in period for grinding, so i guess i can try and remember how that was. sucks about the bushings breaking...i suspect if you have problems finding replacements in the US, id have no chance in Australia.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: June 15, 2020, 11:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That link is to LARGE flat washers brosef. For the top bushing you want the small ones:

https://www.riptidesports.com/hardware/small-flat-washers/

You can also brave the covid and hit a hardware store (or look around your house, bet you can find one that fits.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: June 15, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

That link is to LARGE flat washers brosef. For the top bushing you want the small ones:

https://www.riptidesports.com/hardware/small-flat-washers/

You can also brave the covid and hit a hardware store (or look around your house, bet you can find one that fits.
yeah good call wrong pasted link. ill jerry-rigg something up today to try it out.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: June 15, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »
What decks have more ‘fingers of flat’?
Any that have longer tail/nose?

Skated a fa with 5.8s, doesn’t quite feel right, but the ollie was great. That board is just too dramatic for me.

I know primitive works for many, I’d prefer to get something a little less ....mainstream. As wack as that sounds.

Please and thanks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #836 on: June 15, 2020, 07:03:08 PM »

Skated a fa with 5.8s, doesn’t quite feel right, but the ollie was great. That board is just too dramatic for me.

I know primitive works for many, I’d prefer to get something a little less ....mainstream. As wack as that sounds.

Please and thanks.

Interesting description, please explain.

What are the dimensions on your FA? Been looking to get one if I can get it one on discount.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #837 on: June 15, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

What are the dimensions on your FA? Been looking to get one if I can get it one on discount.

Severe shape, very blunt, steep large nose....most people hop on a board and kickflip/ollie right away. I nollie. I don’t have a particularly good one, it just feels nice, solid. Not on that board tho. Every now and again a trick connects and get some pop, but for the most part it’s not for me. Graphic is really excellent.
8.38 (I think)x14.12x31.8ish. On paper this should be my shit. Board not too long, wb in the range of 14-14.25”....should be a go. Just isn’t. I’ve tried it with a lot of stuff. I’m the problem. It’s not the. Parts fault. Just doesn’t work for me. And that’s basically been my fa experience. And I’ve had a few. I might like it the first day, but never the second and onward.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #838 on: June 15, 2020, 07:48:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

[close]

Severe shape, very blunt, steep large nose....most people hop on a board and kickflip/ollie right away. I nollie. I don’t have a particularly good one, it just feels nice, solid. Not on that board tho. Every now and again a trick connects and get some pop, but for the most part it’s not for me. Graphic is really excellent.
8.38 (I think)x14.12x31.8ish. On paper this should be my shit. Board not too long, wb in the range of 14-14.25”....should be a go. Just isn’t. I’ve tried it with a lot of stuff. I’m the problem. It’s not the. Parts fault. Just doesn’t work for me. And that’s basically been my fa experience. And I’ve had a few. I might like it the first day, but never the second and onward.

Thanks for the detailed reply and get what you mean completely. It's a so-so deck experience, when it slaps its great but it's less common than you would like. Those dimension look great, right up my alley too.

Did you pair them with Venture cast or forged?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #839 on: June 15, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Please and thanks.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the detailed reply and get what you mean completely. It's a so-so deck experience, when it slaps its great but it's less common than you would like. Those dimension look great, right up my alley too.

Did you pair them with Venture cast or forged?

I’ve tried it with venture cast 5.8, Indy 159, cast thunder 149, ace 44. With ventures was the best pop. 159s were great the first day, too beast after that.