Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364722 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1440 on: November 27, 2020, 01:38:52 PM »
Havent seen any shop carry the 5.8 v hollows yet

Banned from the room

« Reply #1441 on: November 27, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do the stock clear purple bushings get better after a few sessions? Mine feel like knead. Bad return to center.

If I change bushings in my venture 6.1 high to bones hardcore medium, should I use the stockwashers or not?
[close]

like most bushings, i'd say one or two sessions should suffice to ride them in. maybe they are sturdier due to colder weather?
[close]

I've noticed the same with mine. They seem to feel a little more lively after a few sessions, but they still aren't rebounding great. May try putting in some bones bushings next rainy day. Curious about others' experience.
[close]

I'm not a fan of the Bones bushings, the core always breaks away from the outside (I weigh about 190#'s) and they become way to mushy. I have two sets of Ventures, 5.8's and 6.2's, both have the Indy white supersoft bushings and they feel great with them. Running them stock besides the bushings, stock washers top and bottom.

I was close to get a set from orchard for the winter. It would make me very happy to find something other than bones tops for frickin freezing temperatures

Banned from the room

« Reply #1442 on: November 27, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
I'd like to know about Ben Gore's set up.

I definitely think he's doing bushing swapping cutting or carrying them over from truck to truck.

I want to move like that.

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 201
« Reply #1443 on: November 27, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
I'd like to know about Ben Gore's set up.

I definitely think he's doing bushing swapping cutting or carrying them over from truck to truck.

I want to move like that.
I talked to him a couple weeks ago. He rides bones mediums on 5.6.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #1444 on: November 27, 2020, 06:39:02 PM »
5.8 hollows are going to be a thing again? I had some maybe 5 or 6 years ago when 5.8s were pretty new and they vanished only to be p-rod golden shits every few seasons. I don’t like light trucks but it’s good to have that option.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1445 on: November 27, 2020, 10:30:36 PM »
Havent seen any shop carry the 5.8 v hollows yet

On a solid search, the only two shops that seem like they had the 5.8 hollow version had both sold out very quickly that I could see, so I am guessing there was only a limited supply to start with in the first round of production.

Anything DLX you can always ask them directly, top right "HIT US UP" on https://www.dlxsf.com/

What I did notice is a lot of places often don't list them correctly, but looking more at images for the red sticker helped to uncover a lot of places I didn't see from the initial search too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1446 on: November 30, 2020, 07:03:49 PM »
Looking like I'm a vhollow for life now?
Unless I can make my trucks like 5 full turns looser. That would be the balls.

I do not believe this is better. It's gotta be cheaper. That's usually why a industry wide gimmick happens.

Who needs an inverted kingpin on a Venture high?

Little kids who can't turn I hope. The only good truck they can skate with out me modding to death is ace.

I hope so frickin bad that normal kingpins are still around in 10 years.

I want inverted king pins...on ventures...Im a grown man and can turn really well.

Other than having to keep up with another tool, what are the downsides you see to them? They don't change anything about the truck just less room to hang up on smiths.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #1447 on: December 05, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
Would my trusty ventures pair well with this ? I'm guessing no because of the long wheel base.

Wondering what truck would compliment best.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1448 on: December 05, 2020, 01:49:19 PM »
Would my trusty ventures pair well with this ? I'm guessing no because of the long wheel base.

id love to know what youre talking about really
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -769
« Reply #1449 on: December 05, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol

Sorry......

8.625" at widest point x 32.25"
Nose 7.125"
Wheelbase 14.5"
Tail 6.5"

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 06:06:18 AM by RichardBarkley »
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Banned from the room

« Reply #1450 on: December 06, 2020, 03:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote

I do not believe this is better. It's gotta be cheaper. That's usually why a industry wide gimmick happens.

Little kids who can't turn I hope. The only good truck they can skate with out me modding to death is ace.

[close]

I want inverted king pins...on ventures...Im a grown man and can turn really well.

Other than having to keep up with another tool, what are the downsides you see to them? They don't change anything about the truck just less room to hang up on smiths.

I just hope that regs raws are still available too. I definitely want the kids on awake but it's looking like they preference Ace.

That's fine it makes sense.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1451 on: December 06, 2020, 08:18:12 PM »
Stop thinking about dimensions, put the trucks on, ride it, put other ones on, compare.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #1452 on: December 07, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Lol

Sorry......

8.625" at widest point x 32.25"
Nose 7.125"
Wheelbase 14.5"
Tail 6.5"

I’ve been skating ventures on a deck with 14.5” wheelbase. It’s good. I am a gangly, long-legged bastard, though.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #1453 on: December 07, 2020, 06:57:07 AM »
Last year my go to shape was Isle’s 8.5 which has a 14.5 wb. Totally manageable

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1454 on: December 07, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
Do the krux down lo kingpins fit in venture

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #1455 on: December 08, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
Do the krux down lo kingpins fit in venture

Yes, but you have to JB weld the nut in. Here’s a pic, I fucked it up the first time, but got it right this time. Only skated them twice but they feel good. Feel free to PM me if you want details on how to make them work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1456 on: December 08, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just hope that regs raws are still available too. I definitely want the kids on awake but it's looking like they preference Ace.

That's fine it makes sense.

Thankfully there will always be "normal" or "regular kingpin" trucks on the market, no matter what weird and wonderful new things people come out with, same as decks being carbon, composite or whatever other thing people make them from, or cored / hollow wheels too.  People might try them but they always come back to the simple standard that has worked and has less issues overall.

The number one thing I have always done for kids with new trucks of any brand who cannot turn is cut the top bushing down a mm or two depending on the size / weight of the kid and that allows the truck to still do what it is supposed to at the same geometry with the nut being in the same place, just making them about two to four threads less, which is perfect for kids, no cost, easy solution.

I do know lots that swap the bushings straight out for Bones soft, but that is another story.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1457 on: December 09, 2020, 07:27:11 PM »
What are obvious differences between the hi and low? I've never skated the hi. Lows were always great
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:19:54 AM by ok boomer »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1458 on: December 10, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »
What are obvious differences between the hi and low? I've never skated the hi. Lows were always great

Hi: Can be rode loose without wheelbite, hefty pop, bigger wheels are usable on these.

Someone else will have to comment on lows but i'd assume better pinch and quicker pop.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1459 on: December 10, 2020, 10:10:26 AM »

Highs: shit ton of kingpin clearance, very difficult to wheelbite.
Lows: opposite but with better pop and somehow better looking.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1460 on: December 10, 2020, 01:12:32 PM »
I was watching old Tim O'Connor stuff before bed last night. Seeing them Low 5.0's in action was a treat (same with Mariano in Mouse). Then was reading something where he said he now uses 5.25 Hi, which got me wondering. I can't explain why but I think 5.0 Lows look the absolute best (these and old Indys prior to stage 9)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1461 on: December 10, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
I was watching old Tim O'Connor stuff before bed last night. Seeing them Low 5.0's in action was a treat (same with Mariano in Mouse). Then was reading something where he said he now uses 5.25 Hi, which got me wondering. I can't explain why but I think 5.0 Lows look the absolute best (these and old Indys prior to stage 9)

True true

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1462 on: December 11, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
I've got a set of 5.0 lows, may set up. Need a 7.5 - 7.75 deck first. Wish brands made more of those

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #1463 on: December 11, 2020, 07:30:56 PM »
I've got a set of 5.0 lows, may set up. Need a 7.5 - 7.75 deck first. Wish brands made more of those

I feel like smaller sizes have made a solid resurgence production wise, things just get scooped up quick in our current state of the world obviously. Anything picky about woodshops?

Humidity has 7.75 Sour, AH, 7.8 DGK.
Labor has a Krooked 7.75.
Seasons has 7.75 Hopps, Palace, Politic.
https://seasonsskateshop.com/search?q=7.75

These are the first 3 random shops I searched, so they are for sure out there.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1464 on: December 14, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
anyone feel like they get better pop with the cast ventures vs the hollow/ti variants? some tricks might be easier to throw around due to the setup being lighter, but i feel like i lose pop and the board doesnt stick to my feet as well as with cast. is that just me or does any one else feel like they dont get the most yield with lighter variants?

struggling to figure out what to do with these v-hollow 5.6 and 5.2 lows at this point. probably put them up in the classifieds if theres some truth to my theories
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Acky Jacky

« Reply #1465 on: December 14, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
anyone feel like they get better pop with the cast ventures vs the hollow/ti variants? some tricks might be easier to throw around due to the setup being lighter, but i feel like i lose pop and the board doesnt stick to my feet as well as with cast. is that just me or does any one else feel like they dont get the most yield with lighter variants?

struggling to figure out what to do with these v-hollow 5.6 and 5.2 lows at this point. probably put them up in the classifieds if theres some truth to my theories

I can’t speak to Ventures specifically but one time I got Thunder hollows after skating Team Thunders and had a similar experience. To a certain degree I think the weight of the truck is your friend, it helps balance things out. Or it could just take getting used to.
Now, I am interested in trying hollow or light trucks on a bigger board (like an 8.5) but right now I have regular old 5.6’s on an 8.3” and it feels sweet. I actually am down to the axle on my front truck, I’ve never hit axle before but I guess venture grinds down easier than Indy.

TLDR, yeah probably something to your theory

ballintoohard

« Reply #1466 on: December 14, 2020, 05:59:56 PM »
Well the hollow lights have a longer wheelbase, so it likely is pushing your wheels too far out to what you are used to. For me it's pretty stark. Venture cast on a 14.125 is same as Indy on 14.25 and the furthest out I can go before my pop goes to shit.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1467 on: December 14, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
Well the hollow lights have a longer wheelbase, so it likely is pushing your wheels too far out to what you are used to. For me it's pretty stark. Venture cast on a 14.125 is same as Indy on 14.25 and the furthest out I can go before my pop goes to shit.
running cast plates so that wasnt a factor for me

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1468 on: December 14, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »

I guess some people find more heft easier to control, but the difference should be p small

90sDamiano

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1469 on: December 14, 2020, 07:00:32 PM »
Shout out to all y’all venture sk8rs out there!  I’m using 5.2 highs with bones soft bushings. Feeling nice and stable but really good response and an awesome snap back to center.