Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364396 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1470 on: December 14, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
In Ben Degros’ 5.6 hollow review is he using the forged plate version? I can’t tell, but I haven’t seen a version online with cast plates and a hollow axle. Also can’t see how that would make them so awesome but him hate normal fast 5.6

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1471 on: December 15, 2020, 05:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Well the hollow lights have a longer wheelbase, so it likely is pushing your wheels too far out to what you are used to. For me it's pretty stark. Venture cast on a 14.125 is same as Indy on 14.25 and the furthest out I can go before my pop goes to shit.
[close]
running cast plates so that wasnt a factor for me

Titanium sounds good on paper but Thunder and Ventures don't benefit as much from the weight reduction as Indy's, 320-340g is my ideal truck weight, anything below 300g and the board is uncontrollable.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

The.Tran.Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #1472 on: December 15, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »
In Ben Degros’ 5.6 hollow review is he using the forged plate version? I can’t tell, but I haven’t seen a version online with cast plates and a hollow axle. Also can’t see how that would make them so awesome but him hate normal fast 5.6

Those trucks have a forged baseplate (he says it at 20 seconds in the review video). Venture doesn't sell any "light" models on cast plates like how Thunder does with the Team Hollows.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1180
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1473 on: December 15, 2020, 09:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well the hollow lights have a longer wheelbase, so it likely is pushing your wheels too far out to what you are used to. For me it's pretty stark. Venture cast on a 14.125 is same as Indy on 14.25 and the furthest out I can go before my pop goes to shit.
[close]
[close]

Titanium sounds good on paper but Thunder and Ventures don't benefit as much from the weight reduction as Indy's, 320-340g is my ideal truck weight, anything below 300g and the board is uncontrollable.

@rocklobster I was looking into some titanium indy 139s. Do you think the reduced weight makes them a worthwhile purchase?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1474 on: December 15, 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah thats definitely true. In 5.8 (8.5) truck territory I think the difference can be worthwhile though. Though grinding your trucks down makes just as much of a difference. I'm currently skating some v-lights (forged plate, solid hanger) and they're grinded down such that they're noticeably lighter than some new titaniums I have on ice.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1475 on: December 16, 2020, 02:30:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

@rocklobster I was looking into some titanium indy 139s. Do you think the reduced weight makes them a worthwhile purchase?

For Indys yes, the standard 139 starts off at a hefty 377g, Indy Hollow drops you down to 334g and Titanium Forged drop you to 323g. Indys also have a light pop feel because they don't shift the WB out as much. I'm not a fan of Indys so I can't comment as much but I'll take any weight reduction on Indys any day.

Ben Degros likes heavy trucks and in his videos he mentions Indy Standard being his go to truck, despite owning the Titanium variant. An
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1476 on: December 17, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
does anyone know the weight on a Ti pair of 8.5s?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1477 on: December 17, 2020, 01:08:02 PM »
does anyone know the weight on a Ti pair of 8.5s?

320 something I believe

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1478 on: December 17, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
i have a pair of 5.6 and 5.2 both hollow and barely grinded. dm for pictures if interested, will post up in the classifieds soon

*have stock red and purp bushings unskated*
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1479 on: December 17, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »
i have a pair of 5.6 and 5.2 both hollow and barely grinded. dm for pictures if interested, will post up in the classifieds soon

Damn I thought 5.6 was your shit

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1480 on: December 17, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn I thought 5.6 was your shit
keeping the raws.

concluded theres no point in pairing light trucks with my normal size deck and wheels, my legs prefer a little more resistance.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:55:13 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1481 on: December 18, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
Skates 5.6 hollows for the first time today. The pop felt really nice after a few months on indy 149 mids. I slipped out on flat twice which never happens to me, but I really can't think of a reason why that would be because of a change in the trucks.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1482 on: December 19, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
Today I just grabbed a random setup, which has my 1 month old 5.6 on it. Never tightened or adjuted them, noticed i had cracked both bottom bushings, the front one in several places. It sucks because this setup feels close to great.

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1483 on: December 19, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
Today I just grabbed a random setup, which has my 1 month old 5.6 on it. Never tightened or adjuted them, noticed i had cracked both bottom bushings, the front one in several places. It sucks because this setup feels close to great.
Damn. I like the stock bushings but they're hit or miss
I have a mellow Sour with 5.6s. Its a good combo, especially with washers on the ventures for the loose feel

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1484 on: December 20, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
Bushings have been rough on all truck brands but ace for a bit it seems.

I been collecting good ones like crazy jic

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #1485 on: December 20, 2020, 04:22:09 PM »
i put ACE lows in some 6.1's with bones flat washers on top and they look like they will be great.

havent set them up on a board yet though.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1486 on: December 21, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »
Bushings have been rough on all truck brands but ace for a bit it seems.

I been collecting good ones like crazy jic

Yeah the bushing quality on most trucks aside from ace is disappointing, I'm running ace low bushings on my thunders and ventures right now

ballintoohard

« Reply #1487 on: December 21, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
I didn't notice much with broken in Ace in my 5.6. I kinda think you shouldn't have to Frankentruck a truck to get them to work as you want for the most part.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1488 on: December 21, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
Agree that having to mess with bushings and such a bunch to make a truck work is bogus. That being said, I don’t mind when bushings start to rip and crumble as I’ve always seen it happen, sooner or later, as the trucks are usually getting broken in. With ACE I’m down to let them firm up before I adjust them. With Venture I prefer a flat top washer, although bones bushing do work really well, I am fine with the stock bushings.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1489 on: December 21, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Even with the stock top washers I do get a little groove, but it never seems to impact truck function, bend the washer, or fux up the bushings.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1490 on: December 21, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote
For everyone saying it's not that serious, my father was executed by the Contras for choosing the wrong brand of truck.
[close]

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start and nobody gets hurt

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1491 on: December 24, 2020, 03:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For everyone saying it's not that serious, my father was executed by the Contras for choosing the wrong brand of truck.
[close]

[close]
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start and nobody gets hurt
found a pic of contra stealing the truck

no idea what brand this is though, maybe suzuki.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1492 on: December 26, 2020, 02:46:03 AM »
Any risers that people would recomend with Ventures? Trying to start running bigger wheels and cant really go look at them live at the shop.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1493 on: December 26, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
Any risers that people would recomend with Ventures? Trying to start running bigger wheels and cant really go look at them live at the shop.

They are the standard hole pattern, same as Indy so anything with longer oval shaped holes or the classic 4 or 6 hole, (so almost anything would fit), or you could get adventurous and make your own.

If you just need a single mm or so, then you can easily make them out of almost anything, and they will still fit under the trucks with normal 1" deck bolts, but if you go taller than 1/8" risers, then you will need to get longer deck bolts too.  Unless you are riding big wheels, or have really loose trucks, you can get away with 1/8" for almost everything including up to almost 60mm wheels for medium to tight trucks, but there are other factors at play there too.

What size wheels are you on now and what are you looking at going up to?

Do you get wheelbite now / how loose or tight are your trucks?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: December 26, 2020, 06:31:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are the standard hole pattern, same as Indy so anything with longer oval shaped holes or the classic 4 or 6 hole, (so almost anything would fit), or you could get adventurous and make your own.

If you just need a single mm or so, then you can easily make them out of almost anything, and they will still fit under the trucks with normal 1" deck bolts, but if you go taller than 1/8" risers, then you will need to get longer deck bolts too.  Unless you are riding big wheels, or have really loose trucks, you can get away with 1/8" for almost everything including up to almost 60mm wheels for medium to tight trucks, but there are other factors at play there too.

Ok, that's great because noticed that locals dont have other than maybe two different risers on stock.

I was on 56mm conicals and could run them without any problems. Kinda wanna try 60mm classics now and was going to put 1/8" riser with them. My trucks are pretty much medium tightness.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1495 on: December 26, 2020, 06:48:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ok, that's great because noticed that locals dont have other than maybe two different risers on stock.

I was on 56mm conicals and could run them without any problems. Kinda wanna try 60mm classics now and was going to put 1/8" riser with them. My trucks are pretty much medium tightness.

That would easily work.

Doing the figures, if the wheels you are going from and to are only about 2mm in height difference (56 to 60 is 2mm from the axle, not the diameter which is 4mm in total) then you only really need 2mm risers to make things feel much the same, so 1/8" would be plenty of extra height.  You could try something thinner under the trucks just to see if it makes a difference, eg sit the trucks on a shoe box and trace the baseplate, then cut out a couple of rectangles for each truck just to try it first if you had the time, or just see what the shop has and go from there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1496 on: December 26, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That would easily work.

Doing the figures, if the wheels you are going from and to are only about 2mm in height difference (56 to 60 is 2mm from the axle, not the diameter which is 4mm in total) then you only really need 2mm risers to make things feel much the same, so 1/8" would be plenty of extra height.  You could try something thinner under the trucks just to see if it makes a difference, eg sit the trucks on a shoe box and trace the baseplate, then cut out a couple of rectangles for each truck just to try it first if you had the time, or just see what the shop has and go from there.
Thanks for the tips, ordered some Thunder 1/8” risers and 60mm classics. Gonna report back here how i like the combination when i get to skate them

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1497 on: December 28, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
indy 78a bushings for my 6.1s with flat top and bottom washers

closest way to replicate my rattly loose 5.6s with shaved ace bottoms/bones hard tops/flat washers. tried to swap everything over forgetting that bigger trucks wheelbite easily and you can imagine how that went.

gonna take the day to break them in with cruising and slappys, my achilles is a little tweaked from yesterdays session. stretching beforehand and taking it easy

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1498 on: January 03, 2021, 09:18:05 PM »
I think I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and try some lighter trucks and I’m definitely interested in venture. I like loose trucks and I’m coming from Indy and ace haven’t ridden ventures since I was a kid. I ride usually dlx 8.5 so I’m curious if 5.6 or 5.8 would be a good fit for me

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1499 on: January 03, 2021, 09:28:52 PM »
I think I’m finally gonna bite the bullet and try some lighter trucks and I’m definitely interested in venture. I like loose trucks and I’m coming from Indy and ace haven’t ridden ventures since I was a kid. I ride usually dlx 8.5 so I’m curious if 5.6 or 5.8 would be a good fit for me