Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363818 times)

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1710 on: June 23, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks @Paperclip20 @rocklobster @off
   Just ordered a Quasi 8.5 and some 5.8 standards. Will report back.

Cheers fellas, thanks for the advice.

That should be fun, enjoy!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1711 on: June 23, 2021, 08:46:14 PM »
I've been on Venture low 5.2's for a long while but I'm looking to size up my whole setup. Thinking about moving to 5.6 or 5.8 and just wondering if anyone has many experience going from lows to highs. Is the geometry pretty much the same except for the height? Does the turn feel really different?

Looking forward to being able to ride a little looser without the wheelbite.

Get the 5.6 hollow. It's lower.

Rides ventures in transition
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:57:23 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1712 on: June 23, 2021, 09:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I've been on Venture low 5.2's for a long while but I'm looking to size up my whole setup. Thinking about moving to 5.6 or 5.8 and just wondering if anyone has many experience going from lows to highs. Is the geometry pretty much the same except for the height? Does the turn feel really different?

[close]

Goddamn.
What’s his setup at this time? I reckon 8-8.25 board, short, 5.2 hi’s, and like 56-58s….
Anyways
That part/era is so pleasing

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1713 on: June 23, 2021, 11:00:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Goddamn.
What’s his setup at this time? I reckon 8-8.25 board, short, 5.2 hi’s, and like 56-58s….
Anyways

I have a set of his old Venture hi 5.8 trucks from when he was here in Australia.

Never had or saw any other wide Ventures back then and I think he even said they were really hard to get sometimes.

His usual setup when he wasn't riding the big shaped decks (as per about 1:23 in that clip) was roughly 8.5 or a touch less, Venture 5.8 (until he changed to Indy) with the Spitfire 59mm bighead wheels, which was nuts when you think about it, no risers and solid wheelbite, but I got used to the same wheels on my boards with minimal rubber risers under my trucks, usually Indy.

The 59mm wheels were so big and definitely felt nicer once worn down a whole lot or more so the 56 classic or 57mm bigheads size from new.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1714 on: June 24, 2021, 01:12:09 AM »
had to make a call today to make sure my eyes werent deceiving me

skate warehouse has 5.8 v-hollows in stock and plenty of em. dont buy them all in one go now

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Venture_V-Hollow_AP_High_Truck/descpage-VTHPHTR.html

sooooo bummed. 5.8 hollows or titaniums are nowhere to be found in europe. sucks so much.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1715 on: June 24, 2021, 01:13:42 AM »
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/blog/en/wiki/skateboarding/skateboard-wiki/trucks/

The page is outdated but they have listings of truck heights if you guys are into that.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1716 on: June 24, 2021, 06:30:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Goddamn.
Anyways
[close]

I have a set of his old Venture hi 5.8 trucks from when he was here in Australia.

Never had or saw any other wide Ventures back then and I think he even said they were really hard to get sometimes.

His usual setup when he wasn't riding the big shaped decks (as per about 1:23 in that clip) was roughly 8.5 or a touch less, Venture 5.8 (until he changed to Indy) with the Spitfire 59mm bighead wheels, which was nuts when you think about it, no risers and solid wheelbite, but I got used to the same wheels on my boards with minimal rubber risers under my trucks, usually Indy.

The 59mm wheels were so big and definitely felt nicer once worn down a whole lot or more so the 56 classic or 57mm bigheads size from new.

Thanks!!!

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1717 on: June 24, 2021, 08:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Goddamn.
Anyways
[close]

Had no idea he was ever on venture, woulda never thought. I just assumed he was always on Indys. I love finding out weird gear trivia facts like this, like finding out Cardiel skated 7.5s with 129s all the way up until the mid 2000s, or that Greco skates 129s on an 8.5, it’s always just so interesting to me. It’s not often you see transition/bowl dudes with ventures, they’re usually always on indys, or aces more recently, so it’s cool to see an outlier here n there.

Also, I had no idea 5.8s even existed back then. I thought the widest they went was 5.2 for the longest time and they just recently introduced trucks wider than 5.2 in the last few years? At least that’s what I always just assumed since you could never find anything wider than 5.2s anywhere and they didn’t advertise a truck wider than 5.2 anywhere up until the last few years, which is why I thought dudes like duffel who skated 8.5s used 5.2s for the longest time, cuz that’s the widest they used to go up until recently.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1718 on: June 24, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
I also love gear trivia. Too much. Always have.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1719 on: June 24, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Goddamn.
Anyways
[close]

[close]
Had no idea he was ever on venture, woulda never thought. I just assumed he was always on Indys. I love finding out weird gear trivia facts like this, like finding out Cardiel skated 7.5s with 129s all the way up until the mid 2000s, or that Greco skates 129s on an 8.5, it’s always just so interesting to me. It’s not often you see transition/bowl dudes with ventures, they’re usually always on indys, or aces more recently, so it’s cool to see an outlier here n there.

Also, I had no idea 5.8s even existed back then. I thought the widest they went was 5.2 for the longest time and they just recently introduced trucks wider than 5.2 in the last few years? At least that’s what I always just assumed since you could never find anything wider than 5.2s anywhere and they didn’t advertise a truck wider than 5.2 anywhere up until the last few years, which is why I thought dudes like duffel who skated 8.5s used 5.2s for the longest time, cuz that’s the widest they used to go up until recently.

8.5" deck
5.2 trucks

Amazing he skated such big rails and gaps on that setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1720 on: June 24, 2021, 11:43:25 PM »

I don't know when truck production stopped for the wider versions from the 80s into the more narrow 90s - 00s Ventures, but there were not that many around by the time some of those guys who were still on the team wanted them, which might have been in part why people like Dan Drehobl went to Indy.

A good pic showing the Ventures with six hole baseplates and 59mm Spitfire wheels (from about 2004-2005 from the deck):

Also I did a little digging and found this article pretty good:

https://skateandannoy.com/blog/2009/03/venture-innovated/

The OG Venture team was stacked - so many big name dudes were all on Venture back in the day, including Ray Barbee, Mike Carrol, Sean Sheffey, John Cardiel, Phil Shao and Wade Speyer, who was an all terrain destroyer, street, transition, vert, etc.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 03:23:01 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #1721 on: June 25, 2021, 03:13:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't know when truck production stopped for the wider versions from the 80s into the more narrow 90s Ventures, but there were not that many around by the time some of those guys who were still on the team wanted them, which might have been in part why people like Dan Drehobl went to Indy.

Also I did a little digging and found this article pretty good:

https://skateandannoy.com/blog/2009/03/venture-innovated/

The OG Venture team was stacked - so many big name dudes were all on Venture back in the day, including Ray Barbee, Mike Carrol, Sean Sheffey, John Cardiel, Phil Shao and Wade Speyer, who was an all terrain destroyer, street, transition, vert, etc.

Matt Rod too, which is pretty wild. Always wondered if he was cutting bushings back then and riding them wobbly loose,

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1722 on: June 25, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »
Skating venture lows for the first time in ages. It is wild  how much my muscle memory is formed around these trucks. Super fun.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1723 on: June 25, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
Skating venture lows for the first time in ages. It is wild  how much my muscle memory is formed around these trucks. Super fun.

Pinch on 5.2L can be beat, had my most consistent FS Smiths and Crooks on those trucks, yet to replicate that same feeling on any other Thunder or Venture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #1724 on: June 26, 2021, 04:59:57 AM »
what bushings do you guys run in your lows? i got a pair of 5.2 v-lights and i want to try some new stuff in em. anyone got a recommendation? would really like some more turn if thats possible, right now i got the stock bushings.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1725 on: June 26, 2021, 08:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pinch on 5.2L can be beat, had my most consistent FS Smiths and Crooks on those trucks, yet to replicate that same feeling on any other Thunder or Venture.

For real, I feel like I found the cheat code for long front crooks.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1726 on: June 26, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
still patiently waiting for the 5.6 low but hell just might freeze over
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #1727 on: June 26, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
i gave up....settled for the forged baseplates and moved on.  Not worrying about wheelbite compared to a thunder, I'm pretty happy....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1728 on: June 26, 2021, 03:20:57 PM »
i gave up....settled for the forged baseplates and moved on.  Not worrying about wheelbite compared to a thunder, I'm pretty happy....

You on 5.6, forged? From which thunders?
I’m flopping back and forth between venture and thunder (mostly). Back to thunder atm

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1729 on: June 26, 2021, 03:48:34 PM »
I went from thunder teams/cast baseplate to venture forged.  They are higher but it's not really bugging me, still pop reasonably quick and I'm kinda liking riding them looser....  Still not nuts about the wheelbase.... If anything I just wish the standard BBS layup had smaller wheelbases....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: June 26, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
I went from thunder teams/cast baseplate to venture forged.  They are higher but it's not really bugging me, still pop reasonably quick and I'm kinda liking riding them looser....  Still not nuts about the wheelbase.... If anything I just wish the standard BBS layup had smaller wheelbases....

Yes, bbs is 14.25 and up (yes, there are exceptions).
I like 147s, like 5.2 lo’s, don’t really like 5.2 hi’s, like 5.8 hi’s….can’t call it

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1731 on: June 26, 2021, 11:17:16 PM »

Same here, even with a forged baseplate the hanger is taller on the 5.6 versus the 5.2L. (https://www.skatedeluxe.com/blog/en/wiki/skateboarding/skateboard-wiki/trucks/, if these measurements are anything to go by).

Expand Quote
[close]

I’m flopping back and forth between venture and thunder (mostly). Back to thunder atm

I've told myself countless time to stick to Thunders since they are compatible with more board dimensions and wheelbases. But like a partner who is nothing but trouble, I keep coming back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1732 on: June 27, 2021, 07:17:07 AM »
I noticed Ventures don't grind as well...I think maybe it's a harder alloy, so I suspect along with the kingpin clearance, the truck will just last longer....

I wished they had a low too....maybe they will do a mid! 

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #1733 on: June 27, 2021, 07:22:29 AM »
I noticed Ventures don't grind as well...I think maybe it's a harder alloy, so I suspect along with the kingpin clearance, the truck will just last longer....

? They have a low

Ventures grind is defo different. I love it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1734 on: June 27, 2021, 08:07:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here, even with a forged baseplate the hanger is taller on the 5.6 versus the 5.2L. (https://www.skatedeluxe.com/blog/en/wiki/skateboarding/skateboard-wiki/trucks/, if these measurements are anything to go by).

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've told myself countless time to stick to Thunders since they are compatible with more board dimensions and wheelbases. But like a partner who is nothing but trouble, I keep coming back.

For me it’s a lot about wheel size:if I want to not drive/not walk to the spot, I need 54s and up. If I go past 52mm wheels, venture lo’s and 147s are difficult. I get weird about how the setup looks, proportionally, don’t really favor the look of bigger wheels and smaller trucks/decks (that is an era that When I could actually skate, but….looks odd). Next thing I’m on some escalator of decision making and I’m riding 8.5s with 9” trucks and taller wheels.

I think I’m going to try and stick with 147s for a minute. They work decently for me, I can probably maybe skate 54s (forged but risers) and a decent variety of decks (totally agree with the point of ventures being a little more deck specific: I need a specific wb, but also fingers of flat, and not short n/t….when it works, flips tricks feel so much easier).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1735 on: June 27, 2021, 09:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For me it’s a lot about wheel size:if I want to not drive/not walk to the spot, I need 54s and up. If I go past 52mm wheels, venture lo’s and 147s are difficult. I get weird about how the setup looks, proportionally, don’t really favor the look of bigger wheels and smaller trucks/decks (that is an era that When I could actually skate, but….looks odd). Next thing I’m on some escalator of decision making and I’m riding 8.5s with 9” trucks and taller wheels.

Just swapped out to 54mm Classics from some F4s worn down to 50mm, they still look a little oversized for a 8.25 / 148 setup. 52mm skinny wheels on 5.2L is the ticket but a bitch to push around on asphalt.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1736 on: June 27, 2021, 02:02:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

? They have a low

Ventures grind is defo different. I love it.

Personally I’ve felt like ventures have been my favorite grind. Even for slappies I’ve enjoyed them. Maybe I’m just a weirdo though

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #1737 on: June 27, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »
what bushings do you guys run in your lows? i got a pair of 5.2 v-lights and i want to try some new stuff in em. anyone got a recommendation? would really like some more turn if thats possible, right now i got the stock bushings.
i have some thunder stock bushings in some 5.2s and its working out. i have 54s on it currently as some people were mentioning above but havent had any horrible wheelbite experiences yet. im curious what other people run in theirs, deluxe seems to be the goto for hi’s i wanna say

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1738 on: June 27, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i have some thunder stock bushings in some 5.2s and its working out. i have 54s on it currently as some people were mentioning above but havent had any horrible wheelbite experiences yet. im curious what other people run in theirs, deluxe seems to be the goto for hi’s i wanna say

54s on lo’s is some early 2000s ave/dill shit. I dunno how they managed to roll, let alone rip.
Stock is great, otherwise bones hards. If you are made of money and bones bushing you can run no washers for a turn only limited by the size of your wheels, at the expense of blowing out the bushing prematurely.
I’m not trying not to slalom, so I use the top flat washer.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #1739 on: June 27, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got some 52 f4 classics on my hi's with bones hards. I try other trucks but I always go back to this trusty setup. My crooked grinds are on lock with them. I struggle with anything else.