Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364521 times)

yatallfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1770 on: August 01, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »
WKND & Alien Workshop/Habitat have 8.5’s that are 14.25 wheelbase and for me they feel perfect for Venture 5.8’s. Just skated a krooked 8.5 and it felt so skinny compared to the Workshop 8.5 I’m on currently. I’ve noticed DLX 8.5’s all seem to taper to being 8.38 on the tail end like mentioned above, Antihero, Krooked, & Real all seem to do this

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1771 on: August 02, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »
Even if the wheelbase is 14.25 I would always try to check the fingers of flat on the tail and nose as well.
I’ve had 14.25 wb boards where the fingers of flat on the tail was real minimal, making the tail feel super heavy. That combined with ventures will make popping your tail feel like a workout every time, even though the wb is still 14.25.
Ventures on a 14.25 wb board where there is a decent amount of fingers of flat on the nose and tail is the best combo to me.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1772 on: August 02, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
Can Confirm that the Real/ Venture wooden risers fit Ventures perfectly (cast plates). And 88a Supercush bushings feel real nice in 6.1s.

Currently have them on an 8.5" Hockey with 14.25" WB". I think they'd feel even better on a mellower kicked board.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:03:45 PM by Frank and Fred »

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #1773 on: August 03, 2021, 05:54:52 AM »
Can Confirm that the Real/ Venture wooden risers fit Ventures perfectly (cast plates). And 88a Supercush bushings feel real nice in 6.1s.

Currently have them on an 8.5" Hockey with 14.25" WB". I think they'd feel even better on a mellower kicked board.
Yeah they definitely feel better on boards with mellower kicks. I was gonna get a hockey but the kicks were extremely steep and that paired with ventures would mean ghost pop city for me.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #1774 on: August 03, 2021, 12:30:01 PM »
I've never tried Ventures but I think it's time.

I'm coming from strictly Indy/Aces since forever and I like to turn, I can't stand Indy lows or anything like that but I ride a hybrid Indy forged/stage 10 hanger that's 51.5mm high and the turn is fine on those.

I'll be riding a 7.75-7.875" setup so they'll all have small wheelbases.

Will I hate Ventures? What should I try? 5.0 or 5.2? Highs might be too high, will the turn be sufficient on v-lights?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 12:44:58 PM by Deekay »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1775 on: August 03, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
You're going to want the highs if you are coming from Ace/ Indy and like to turn. Most likely need softer bushings also.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1776 on: August 03, 2021, 01:01:34 PM »
Venture His + bones softs will get you where you want to go.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1777 on: August 03, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
Great, thank you. Is there a big difference between the cast and forged baseplates in terms of feel with turn/wheelbase?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1778 on: August 03, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
Great, thank you. Is there a big difference between the cast and forged baseplates in terms of feel with turn/wheelbase?

Forged plates are lower and extend the wheelbase a bit more (.15 inches ish if I recall correctly). If you're coming from indys/aces probably get the cast.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1779 on: August 03, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »
I'm coming from strictly Indy/Aces since forever and I like to turn

I rode a friends board with ventures for the first time today out of curiosity and I was in disbelief. I thought they just don't turn as great as ace but are still fine, but I actually leaned and had to step off multiple times because the turn was extremely slow/delayed and not sharp at all. And they were as loose as it gets. Nothing wrong with the bushings either, I checked. It feels like shit compared to indy/ace/thunder. I honestly hope there's something wrong with his trucks that I missed and not every venture rider has to live in pain like that. But still, you really might wanna try it on someone elses setup before buying.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1780 on: August 03, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode a friends board with ventures for the first time today out of curiosity and I was in disbelief. I thought they just don't turn as great as ace but are still fine, but I actually leaned and had to step off multiple times because the turn was extremely slow/delayed and not sharp at all. And they were as loose as it gets. Nothing wrong with the bushings either, I checked. It feels like shit compared to indy/ace/thunder. I honestly hope there's something wrong with his trucks that I missed and not every venture rider has to live in pain like that. But still, you really might wanna try it on someone elses setup before buying.

Yeah thats why you see Touzery, Kader, Worrest, etc. constantly stepping of their board and living in pain (or skating through it?). #VenturesDontTurn2021

Let's keep that narrative alive so the prices drop for us miserable people who are addicted to pop.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1781 on: August 03, 2021, 04:03:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.. I guess cast 5.2's with soft bushings is the way to go.

Expand Quote
[close]

Shit, I hear you.. With original bushings though, broken in? I got a few Aces from when they started and I still have some, the 44's on my cruiser are beat to shit but they turn so deep they feel like slalom trucks. However, I got some (Ace) classics recently and kept the original bushings in... they turned like shit and didn't seem to break in (or I lost patience), I "hated" them.

Anyway, the point of my whole ramble was that I'd think I hated Aces if those were the first one I tried. I guess I won't know about Ventures until I get some and play around with bushing options. Not expecting them to turn like Aces though but that's not why I'm getting them..

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #1782 on: August 03, 2021, 04:14:16 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.. I guess cast 5.2's with soft bushings is the way to go.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Shit, I hear you.. With original bushings though, broken in? I got a few Aces from when they started and I still have some, the 44's on my cruiser are beat to shit but they turn so deep they feel like slalom trucks. However, I got some (Ace) classics recently and kept the original bushings in... they turned like shit and didn't seem to break in (or I lost patience), I "hated" them.

Anyway, the point of my whole ramble was that I'd think I hated Aces if those were the first one I tried. I guess I won't know about Ventures until I get some and play around with bushing options. Not expecting them to turn like Aces though but that's not why I'm getting them..

Stock bushings, flat top washer and leave it. The only time the turn bothers me is if I'm trying to do a very sharp turn or u-turn in which case I'll catch myself tic tacking to get around quicker as I don't have patience to make that big of a circle.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1783 on: August 03, 2021, 05:42:08 PM »
Repeating myself here but I'm really impressed with how the 88a Supercush bushings make the 6.1s turn... But I think I read on here the 6.1s turn a bit better than the narrower sizes as it is.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1784 on: August 03, 2021, 11:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged plates are lower and extend the wheelbase a bit more (.15 inches ish if I recall correctly). If you're coming from indys/aces probably get the cast.

In general for the 5.2 / 5.6
Cast - + 3.25"
Forged - + 3.4 - 3.5"

For Venture Hi and Lo, the height difference is due to the difference in hanger design right? They use the same cast / forged baseplate. If that were the case I wish they did a 5.6 Lo with a forged baseplate, that would be my dream truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #1785 on: August 04, 2021, 03:30:22 AM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haven't tried the classics, but read that they take a very long time to break in, but then they are super soft and turny.
Nothing wrong with trying things if you got the cash, hope you post your experience with them! They shouldn't be as bad as the ones I tried, something's gotta be wrong there. But yeah, they had stock bushings and he rode them for a few months already.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1786 on: August 05, 2021, 05:34:50 AM »
I hear you man.. Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate it!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1787 on: August 05, 2021, 07:33:27 AM »
I ride Indy’s, I have been told on the loose side of medium-loose. I’ve literally taken Indys off and bolted Ventures on and after 5 minutes could barely tell. They have more lean at the top but if you’re not an idiot you quickly figure out where the turn point is. Since they have a different turn arc they’re actually looser at the top for me but take more effort to bottom out. This is stock setups for both. I can only imagine that running softer bushings and/or flat top would get you pretty floppy.

It’s not hard to get any truck to rattle either. Remove the washers and put softies in or cut your bushings. They’re not Kruxs FFS

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1788 on: August 05, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
I ride Indy’s, I have been told on the loose side of medium-loose. I’ve literally taken Indys off and bolted Ventures on and after 5 minutes could barely tell. They have more lean at the top but if you’re not an idiot you quickly figure out where the turn point is. Since they have a different turn arc they’re actually looser at the top for me but take more effort to bottom out. This is stock setups for both. I can only imagine that running softer bushings and/or flat top would get you pretty floppy.

It’s not hard to get any truck to rattle either. Remove the washers and put softies in or cut your bushings. They’re not Kruxs FFS
Being that the turn felt nearly the same to you why did you prefer the Indy over the Venture? I’m currently debating Venture at the moment and Indy has been my mainstay for most of my skateboarding in recent years.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1789 on: August 05, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »
Had a good 20 minute session on my new vlights before the rain soaked me, but I'm feeling the truck madness creep back. Gotta get some soft bushings in them to optimize the turn, but the difference in pop coming from aces is insane.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1790 on: August 05, 2021, 01:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Being that the turn felt nearly the same to you why did you prefer the Indy over the Venture? I’m currently debating Venture at the moment and Indy has been my mainstay for most of my skateboarding in recent years.

With the deck I was riding I would get nollie ghost pop pretty bad with the Ventures. I like the Indy grind better on the ledges I skate the Ventures have a pretty slow/tinny feeling grind. I was riding Ti hangers on cast plates, but felt that full cast was too heavy and frankentrucking is annoying. When I had casts I also blew out top bushings really regularly doing slappies mostly cuz I use the stock washers. I don't have the patience to customize my trucks or fuck with them much anymore.

Its mostly nitpicking, but for the most part Indy's feel the most natural for my abilities and what I like to do. With Indy's and nollie backside 180s the rotation is so fast it's effortless, which I prefer to the heft of Ventures. Even kickflips feel snappier. I would fuck around with decks more and one day I'll try and 8/14" with smaller trucks and see how it feels. I think if I got them on a hookup I could just learn my way around it over time, but I don't need to do that.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1791 on: August 05, 2021, 03:10:48 PM »
Solid response Lebowski. Much appreciated.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1792 on: August 09, 2021, 10:37:04 PM »
Had a good 20 minute session on my new vlights before the rain soaked me, but I'm feeling the truck madness creep back. Gotta get some soft bushings in them to optimize the turn, but the difference in pop coming from aces is insane.

dude right aces have shit pop

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1793 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:47 PM »
Ventures don't grind that well...you get used to it but even coming from thunders....they definitely grab more.  Re: the turn....as a tight truck guy?  Check me out now.....solid medium!  Even loosish! 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1794 on: August 09, 2021, 11:36:35 PM »
i stand by the indy 78a barrels but bought some 88a conicals to experiment with. i need the venture "balance beam" before the turn to still be there, will report back

as for the grind, take an extra push or two. the added stability is a confidence boost and since you are gonna slow down a bit on the grind, why not?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #1795 on: August 10, 2021, 09:37:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been skating 5.8s after ten years of 149s and they turn fine
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1796 on: August 10, 2021, 09:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've been skating 5.8s after ten years of 149s and they turn fine

I swap between ace and venture. Mine turn fine also. They definitely feel shitty super tight but most trucks do

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1797 on: August 10, 2021, 09:58:56 AM »
They turn. You just have time for  a cup of tea and sandwich, after you lean before you actually turn.

Not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to feel nice and stable before setting up for flip tricks, its great.

however, the other day, I stepped off my board just pushing around a corner (I'm used to loose Aces) and I'm running 88a Supercush on my 6.1s. I'm still yet to try them in a bowl.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #1798 on: August 11, 2021, 06:25:00 AM »
They turn. You just have time for  a cup of tea and sandwich, after you lean before you actually turn.

Not necessarily a bad thing. If you want to feel nice and stable before setting up for flip tricks, its great.

however, the other day, I stepped off my board just pushing around a corner (I'm used to loose Aces) and I'm running 88a Supercush on my 6.1s. I'm still yet to try them in a bowl.
Bones hard bushings depending on how heavy you are work best in ventures. Indy bushings don't give the full potential of the turn. Also the rebound isn't very good.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1799 on: August 11, 2021, 06:46:09 AM »
Tried Bones medium. They were OK. The soft Supercush are far better. I like my bushings to be 100% urethane, no plastic.