Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363805 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 346
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2610 on: March 26, 2022, 04:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pros you know of that skate venture lo?
[close]
yuto and brandon westgate are two that I know of
[close]
Gino. PJ Ladd. Youness. JB Gillett.

Not too long after Ace released the AF1's he was skating 33's in those for awhile and seemed like he was stayin at Joey T's place for months, and then ever since he's been back on Venture lows skating with PJ lol.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #2611 on: March 26, 2022, 06:14:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wow kinda surprised yuto skates lo’s

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2612 on: March 26, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Gino. PJ Ladd. Youness. JB Gillett.
[close]

Not too long after Ace released the AF1's he was skating 33's in those for awhile and seemed like he was stayin at Joey T's place for months, and then ever since he's been back on Venture lows skating with PJ lol.

Who?

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #2613 on: March 27, 2022, 12:28:25 AM »
Matt Field, my b

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2614 on: March 27, 2022, 06:55:15 AM »
Help please! Bought some standard venture high 5.8s recently after only skating indy for 20 years....i want to love the ventures, but i just cant seem to get them to turn close to my indys. They have the stock purple clearish bushings in them so not sure how hard those are...i have the kingpin nut as loose as you can get it without falling off. Probably had about 10 sessions on the ventures and still kot turning good. Should i wait it out? What bushings do you recommend to get them a deeper turn? I saw some people saying the deluxe supercush bushings are good in ventures but wasnt sure if i should go with the 91 or 88 duro on those....does anyone run bones soft bushings in there? Ive never used aftermarket bushings in trucks and normally just ran the standard orange bushings in indys and they turned really good for me. Let me know what yall think. Would greatly appreciate any info !

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2615 on: March 27, 2022, 07:31:01 AM »
Help please! Bought some standard venture high 5.8s recently after only skating indy for 20 years....i want to love the ventures, but i just cant seem to get them to turn close to my indys. They have the stock purple clearish bushings in them so not sure how hard those are...i have the kingpin nut as loose as you can get it without falling off. Probably had about 10 sessions on the ventures and still kot turning good. Should i wait it out? What bushings do you recommend to get them a deeper turn? I saw some people saying the deluxe supercush bushings are good in ventures but wasnt sure if i should go with the 91 or 88 duro on those....does anyone run bones soft bushings in there? Ive never used aftermarket bushings in trucks and normally just ran the standard orange bushings in indys and they turned really good for me. Let me know what yall think. Would greatly appreciate any info !
Bones bushings. But also if something worked for 20 years why change it?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2616 on: March 27, 2022, 07:39:20 AM »

so just to get it out of the way all color bushings on ventures that come stock are the same durometer. purple, yellow, red etc - all the same
now you have a few options as far as getting a deeper turn goes:
- flat top washer
- supercush 90a's will be the same as stock so you probably won't notice a difference, but i swear by supercush 90a's if i have to replace. people do seem to enjoy the 88's as well, and bones for as long as they last before blowing out
- you can throw some wax in the pivot cup to help things out too
- panic mode: sell 'em and get indy's again lol (obv you are trying to make the ventures work though, and kudos to you for that)

of those choices, i would try wax in pivot cup and a flat top washer first. ventures aren't really going to 'indy out' at any point in my experience, but that will definitely help things out a little

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2617 on: March 27, 2022, 08:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so just to get it out of the way all color bushings on ventures that come stock are the same durometer. purple, yellow, red etc - all the same
- flat top washer
- supercush 90a's will be the same as stock so you probably won't notice a difference, but i swear by supercush 90a's if i have to replace. people do seem to enjoy the 88's as well, and bones for as long as they last before blowing out
- panic mode: sell 'em and get indy's again lol (obv you are trying to make the ventures work though, and kudos to you for that)

of those choices, i would try wax in pivot cup and a flat top washer first. ventures aren't really going to 'indy out' at any point in my experience, but that will definitely help things out a little

Flat top washer really does make a world of difference. I don’t know why venture doesn’t just include them stock.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2618 on: March 27, 2022, 08:16:59 AM »
really loving the supercush 94s, feels like 90-92a broken in
anyone have experience with the purp 97a?
feel like i should ride harder bushings until they get too soft
im a heavy fuck no matter how skinny i look

Memory might be bad but haven’t you posted about a ton of bushing combos that are supposed to be the best for Ventures? How long are you spending on these setups cuz it seems like you’ve tried about every bushing on the market now.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #2619 on: March 27, 2022, 10:48:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

- flat top washer

[close]

Flat top washer really does make a world of difference. I don’t know why venture doesn’t just include them stock.

Couldn't agree more. All i've done is swap the top washer to a flat washer from the bones bushings package and they turn like a longer wheelbase indy. It's crazy that it doesn't just come this way stock

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2620 on: March 27, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
There are some advantages with using the stock washer, but yes, if more turning is needed, flat top is the way to go. The wax in the pivot cup, or bike grease, or whatever lube, also works pretty well.
All of the suggestions listed above by others, work great. Im just chiming in to say the same. I actually like the stock bushing, the cylinder bottom bushing is more stable, and I like it. Using the bones bushing makes the turn quicker/deeper, less stable. Blah blah

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2621 on: March 27, 2022, 11:07:23 AM »
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the flat washer on top is the way to go. Ima go grab some today and see how it does. Already waxed inside the pivot cup this morning now just need the flat washers. Appreciate The feedback

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #2622 on: March 27, 2022, 11:30:26 AM »
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the flat washer on top is the way to go. Ima go grab some today and see how it does. Already waxed inside the pivot cup this morning now just need the flat washers. Appreciate The feedback

I was feeling the same way about my Ventures at first, and then I put a set of stock Indy bushings in and that was what worked for me.

You mentioned you like the stock Indy bushings, so it’s probably worth a try if you don’t like the flat washer.

I also love the Supercush 88s. Never been disappointed by those.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2623 on: March 27, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »
Go buy a t-shirt….

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2624 on: March 27, 2022, 03:22:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Memory might be bad but haven’t you posted about a ton of bushing combos that are supposed to be the best for Ventures? How long are you spending on these setups cuz it seems like you’ve tried about every bushing on the market now.
ive tried some softer bushings, recommended the ones i liked
switched to harder duros to find out its my preference
dont think ive been the guy to say theres a definitive combo
but if youre itching to prove me wrong, feel free to double check

how to alter the turn is a FAQ in this thread
at $5-10 a set, its easy to build insight + help pals who ask
if im trying something new, bushings stay in for 1-2 months
immediate change if they suck

only tried 6 different sets so far and 4 of them were less >90a
definitely not every set on the market lol
which is why i was asking about harder bushings
maybe youre confusing me with someone else
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #2625 on: March 27, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »
Would you guys rather ride venture 5.8 high cast on a quasi 8.25 or independent 144 standards. I really want to ride the ventures with it but it tapers down to like 8.125 in the back truck and I'm afraid it will fuck with me lol.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2626 on: March 27, 2022, 05:03:12 PM »
Would you guys rather ride venture 5.8 high cast on a quasi 8.25 or independent 144 standards. I really want to ride the ventures with it but it tapers down to like 8.125 in the back truck and I'm afraid it will fuck with me lol.

Just do what I do: shamefully switch back and forth leaving all types of super fucked up wheel bites…if someone ever sees the underside of my board, oof. Won’t need forensics to find the kook.

Boog

« Reply #2627 on: March 27, 2022, 05:09:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just do what I do: shamefully switch back and forth leaving all types of super fucked up wheel bites…if someone ever sees the underside of my board, oof. Won’t need forensics to find the kook.
That's probably what I'll end up doing lol. Won't be the first time and definitely won't be the last time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2628 on: March 27, 2022, 06:06:05 PM »
I’ve ridden and liked both it’s really up to what truck you prefer and you won’t see any more wheel than normal. Is it the Proto shape?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2629 on: March 27, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Checked your post history and it was you. 6 sets is a lot to try, but I missed the posts where you noted that it just wasn’t for you and switching to harder bushings is doing you well. No hate on trying things out, just seemed like a ton of work.

I ride slightly tighter Indy’s than friends- like 1-1.5 full threads showing with the stock bushings. I could put blues in but am trying to skate my trucks as stock as possible aside from wax in the pivots. Tom Knox and Matt Gottwig have skated Indy’s with 2-3 threads showing in the rear so although it’s unsightly, can’t knock what works. Bobby used to ride Bones hards in his Indy’s and cranks his Ventures a bit too.

Are there any bigger skaters that ride Wobbly?

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2630 on: March 27, 2022, 06:16:36 PM »
After about 10 sessions on my Ventures(stock), they really are the only trucks that matter. Love the way they sound and the way feel when grinding. Turn was different I guess, I didn’t notice too much of a difference after the third session when I was fully used to them. Love these trucks

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2631 on: March 27, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
What is the difference between venture 5.2 and 5.25? I see them on different sites

Boog

« Reply #2632 on: March 27, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
I’ve ridden and liked both it’s really up to what truck you prefer and you won’t see any more wheel than normal. Is it the Proto shape?
It's not the proto but I'm pretty sure it's the same shape. It's a team graphic. I think I'll try the venture and worst case scenario I'll not like it and put the 144 on.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2633 on: March 27, 2022, 06:43:37 PM »
What is the difference between venture 5.2 and 5.25? I see them on different sites

I am thinking there is no difference, with it just being how shops and places list the trucks, both being with an 8" axle.

After looking at the Venture size chart from their site, there might have been a number difference only between the current chart and what Streetcorner Dist used to put out, before Venture moved to be under DLX Distribution, but there is no "official" size 5.25 listed anywhere.

From the current line up there is 5.0 for 7.62" axles, 5.2 for 8" axles, 5.6 for 8.25" axles and so on.

https://venturetrucks.net/sizes/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2634 on: March 27, 2022, 07:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Checked your post history and it was you. 6 sets is a lot to try, but I missed the posts where you noted that it just wasn’t for you and switching to harder bushings is doing you well. No hate on trying things out, just seemed like a ton of work.

I ride slightly tighter Indy’s than friends- like 1-1.5 full threads showing with the stock bushings. I could put blues in but am trying to skate my trucks as stock as possible aside from wax in the pivots. Tom Knox and Matt Gottwig have skated Indy’s with 2-3 threads showing in the rear so although it’s unsightly, can’t knock what works. Bobby used to ride Bones hards in his Indy’s and cranks his Ventures a bit too.

In my experience, tight trucks can still turn pretty well, depends on a lot of factors, but yeah, cranking the bushings down some doesn’t mean a total lack of turning. I used to have ok pop, and I’d tighten my trucks to get a little more. The overly wobbly trucks shit kills me, looks dumb, the tricks look dumb, the resulting safety hands, also wack. Lots of people would benefit from some slightly tighter trucks. Or not.
Gottwig was on Thunders, and then in his last part, which was very sick, he had a lot of clips with Indys. Made em look good too. Then it seemed like he went back to Thunders? I mean unless you are getting paid a fair amount, riding what you want would be the move.

I’m always very interested in what good skateboarders are using equipment wise. Too interested.

Boog

« Reply #2635 on: March 27, 2022, 07:21:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

In my experience, tight trucks can still turn pretty well, depends on a lot of factors, but yeah, cranking the bushings down some doesn’t mean a total lack of turning. I used to have ok pop, and I’d tighten my trucks to get a little more. The overly wobbly trucks shit kills me, looks dumb, the tricks look dumb, the resulting safety hands, also wack. Lots of people would benefit from some slightly tighter trucks. Or not.
Gottwig was on Thunders, and then in his last part, which was very sick, he had a lot of clips with Indys. Made em look good too. Then it seemed like he went back to Thunders? I mean unless you are getting paid a fair amount, riding what you want would be the move.

I’m always very interested in what good skateboarders are using equipment wise. Too interested.
I actually asked Gottwig about that and he said he uses thunder for street skating and independent for mostly transition and some street spots. I think it's cool to see pros riding different things. Makes me feel normal lol.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2636 on: March 27, 2022, 07:31:59 PM »
Dude that’s so sick he responded.
 He was an incredibly nice person, the very few times I interacted with him.
Seemed like he sized down, the thunders looked like 8.25, from the footage, but as gear obsessed as I am, I cannot claim to be that good at judging sizes from pics/footage. I’m always surprised at how difficult it is for me to tell. I was watching some BDK stuff and I have no idea how big that guy’s shit is. Another thing I used to see with people riding Indy’s in addition to their ‘regular’ setup was when they’d size up/ride a shaped board. Makes sense.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2637 on: March 27, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
So I’m late but just adding my vote for flat top washers and venture bushings. I’m just over 200lb and have been finding the stock Yellow barrels and the purple (97 i think) supercush tops keeps it snappy on my 6.1s.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2638 on: March 27, 2022, 11:31:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

only had awful reviews for the indy reds and doh doh blues
figured i would bring em up if anyone asks
but those are generally unpopular choices
ive had all the madness in the past
bushings are the cheapest by a mile and fun to tinker with
especially for trucks you plan to run into the ground
very light work if you ask me

i heard knox rides the yellow super hard indy bushings
holy fuck if he has threads showing
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2639 on: March 28, 2022, 01:49:04 AM »
- flat top washer

wait what? was there ever confirmation on venture stock purple durometer bc i recall a few people saying 92a, some saying 94a etc but having skated both the stock purple bushings and then the supercush 90a's i refuse to believe they're the same duro.