Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363818 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2730 on: April 14, 2022, 03:23:45 PM »
My 147s from around the year 00 seem less than 50 mm tall.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

maggot cunt

« Reply #2731 on: April 17, 2022, 12:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I run the forged because I’m lazy and because I’m still mad at the height which I think is a considerable difference from a thunder…..

Ben’s rationale behind the forged was something like :‘I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel the same’ which I think is not far off from my assessment of ‘they look dumb’.
[close]
forged ventures are the same height as cast thunders bar 147s
they dont look nearly as dumb as forged indys
bens heavy indy bias forces terrible takes on other trucks
[close]
I think you mean cast Thunder 148+ which are 52mm tall (161s are 53mm). Thunder 147s are pretty low (50mm) which is why they're kind of in a league of their own (with pros like Ishod and Cromer who ride 147s)
https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

Venture cast height is 53.5mm and forged would be 52mm (for the High versions btw)

this is what he said

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #2732 on: April 18, 2022, 09:34:09 AM »
Any suggestions for tools for ventures? Doing a board switch on the sesh is a nightmare been using a diamond wrench that came with the hardware and it ain’t cuttin it. At home is fine I got tools but any skate tools work switching the hardware?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2733 on: April 18, 2022, 10:23:27 AM »
Any suggestions for tools for ventures? Doing a board switch on the sesh is a nightmare been using a diamond wrench that came with the hardware and it ain’t cuttin it. At home is fine I got tools but any skate tools work switching the hardware?

I’ve put my Ventures back on my set up yesterday and used an Ace AF1 tool (the packable one). A bit tight but worked fine. Been really happy with the purchase of this tool!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #2734 on: April 18, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »
[/quote
The Silver tool is probably the best you can get for venture. The ratchet feature is dope and it's thin enough for the weird baseplate.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2735 on: April 18, 2022, 10:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve put my Ventures back on my set up yesterday and used an Ace AF1 tool (the packable one). A bit tight but worked fine. Been really happy with the purchase of this tool!

Lurpivs to ventures? How you like it?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2736 on: April 18, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
Silver…..the only tool which can bankroll a truck company……..

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 116
« Reply #2737 on: April 18, 2022, 11:31:58 AM »
Enjoy your life.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2738 on: April 18, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »

I really like the graphics on the packaging.
Also, cool product.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2739 on: April 18, 2022, 11:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah… I noticed on Saturday that even the regular kingpin on my Lurpivs was unscrewing. I heard this weird rattle but I thought it was the spot I was at, that has kind of tiles as floor. Then I looked at my trucks and the worn side of my kingpin nut was turned 45 degrees, so it was definitely loosening. I don’t know why it happens but I think it might be the lack of splinters in the kingpin that adds vibration and that makes the nut spin on its own. Bummed.

I put my ventures on because it was the ones I was riding before and they are almost brand new. Definitely a different feeling. I like the snappiness, and the grind feel they have. I also got some bones med bushings on them with the flat washers and they turn fine, I just miss the tight turns.  :'( With 52mm wheels I literally cannot wheelbite, it’s crazy.

By the way, I’m on some Hollow lights with the forged baseplates, is it really worth it to get the cast plates? I found a lightly used set on eBay and was thinking of using it for a “transplant”.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

oak leaf

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2740 on: April 18, 2022, 11:54:51 AM »
By the way, I’m on some Hollow lights with the forged baseplates, is it really worth it to get the cast plates? I found a lightly used set on eBay and was thinking of using it for a “transplant”.

I was rocking venture 5.6s with hollow axles and forged plates for a year and *trying* to like them because i liked ventures a lot when i was a kid.

Got some standard 5.8s from the local as a backup because i liked the color, but heard some hype on here about cast plates so i made the swap (cast plates + 5.6 hollow hangar).

feels exactly how i want/remember ventures feeling. Extra weight is negligible and the pop feels exactly right to me. I was very surprised how different it felt. Probably mostly to do w the height and wb differences

take this with a grain of salt because I’d say im like a below-average skater.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2741 on: April 18, 2022, 11:57:52 AM »

rad, wonder if they are gonna start putting out normal bushings too or stick with supercush which has been surprisingly hard to find of late.
also, since this comes up all the time in this thread, from the horse's mouth -
Quote from: venture instagram
thanks for checking, all of our stock bushings are 90duro, so the same as these hardness wise.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2742 on: April 18, 2022, 12:04:59 PM »
Imo, it’s not worth the cast, UNLESS you have strong preferences regarding vibrations and shit like that. I prefer cast, over forged…but it’s not that deep. Rn. For me. I’m currently riding cast thunders (usually riding ventures, and sprinkle in some ace, you know, like an unhinged person).  I prefer the weight of cast trucks when grinding, and when riding over rougher ground. With thunders, the forged plate makes a low ish truck lower, and exacerbates thunders wheelbite tendencies. For me, with venture hi’s, the forged plate is cool. I prefer the pop of cast trucks tho.
** I believe the all cast are made at ermico in sf, and the forged are made outside of the us. I buy cast, for this reason, but have some forged plates as that was all that was available.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #2743 on: April 18, 2022, 12:06:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah… I noticed on Saturday that even the regular kingpin on my Lurpivs was unscrewing. I heard this weird rattle but I thought it was the spot I was at, that has kind of tiles as floor. Then I looked at my trucks and the worn side of my kingpin nut was turned 45 degrees, so it was definitely loosening. I don’t know why it happens but I think it might be the lack of splinters in the kingpin that adds vibration and that makes the nut spin on its own. Bummed.

I put my ventures on because it was the ones I was riding before and they are almost brand new. Definitely a different feeling. I like the snappiness, and the grind feel they have. I also got some bones med bushings on them with the flat washers and they turn fine, I just miss the tight turns.  :'( With 52mm wheels I literally cannot wheelbite, it’s crazy.

My brother has had both lights and regulars and I stepped on his board for both and they feel the same tbh. He does fakie front nose slides pretty much the same if not better currently.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2744 on: April 18, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
Yeah i don’t mind forged baseplates, I actually really like that “dry” snap they have. Forged indies are probably my fav trucks. I think I just wanna force myself to like ventures more than I actually do. I think they look so sick, definitely the most aesthetically pleasing truck, the team is sick, the merch is sick but then they just lack that little fun factor, almost too stable IMO. I’m going in a skate trip to Madrid in 3 weeks and I don’t wanna be annoyed with my trucks. Gonna give the ventures one more chance or I might just cave in and get some forged Indies again…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #2745 on: April 18, 2022, 02:43:21 PM »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2746 on: April 18, 2022, 02:52:10 PM »
Yeah i don’t mind forged baseplates, I actually really like that “dry” snap they have. Forged indies are probably my fav trucks. I think I just wanna force myself to like ventures more than I actually do. I think they look so sick, definitely the most aesthetically pleasing truck, the team is sick, the merch is sick but then they just lack that little fun factor, almost too stable IMO. I’m going in a skate trip to Madrid in 3 weeks and I don’t wanna be annoyed with my trucks. Gonna give the ventures one more chance or I might just cave in and get some forged Indies again…

Agree with loving the look, vibe, merch, etc of venture. If they are too stable, the flat top washer, and/or bones bushings (I prefer the hards, run loose), help liven things up. Dramatically.
But Ventures don’t really indy, imo. If you are looking for you ventures to go closer to Indy, cast plates would help, along with the bushings, but then…I mean shit, you would have almost spent the amount to getting the different trucks you want. Ish.
For fun feeling trucks, for me, it’s ace. They feel wild. Amazing turn, and the pop is light. I just haven’t found the good combo as far as boards go for them, for me. So sometimes the setup is rad, other times I feel like I’m making a difficult activity, more difficult.

@joaqp two tops…First heard of Frank Gerwer doing it, then Ishod. Difficult to think of better endorsers.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2747 on: April 18, 2022, 03:44:14 PM »
I agree about a flat washer and conical bushings make a big difference…..

Indy is the correct answer on a lot of fronts…..good that you acknowledge one of the best parts of skating ventures is the long sleeve…..

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2748 on: April 18, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
Yeah I’m riding the flat washer/bones meds combo already and it definitely improved. They carve better and feel surfy, but it’s just not a responsive truck by nature. And the turning radius is still on the wider side of things.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2749 on: April 18, 2022, 05:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
gonna give these a try :)

Based on what's known, you'd be better off getting a set of ACE Low bushings and calling it a day. Better urethane.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2750 on: April 18, 2022, 05:07:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Based on what's known, you'd be better off getting a set of ACE Low bushings and calling it a day. Better urethane.
Lol.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2751 on: April 18, 2022, 05:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Lol.

I did, at your post.

Venture stocks are bottom barrel, cumbly POS compared to ACE bushings, which are easily the best on the market. For any truck but Thunders...and nothing in that Venture gram leads me to believe that these low bushings are any different than stock except in height.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 05:48:25 PM by Xen »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2752 on: April 18, 2022, 06:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Lol.
[close]

I did, at your post.

Venture stocks are bottom barrel, cumbly POS compared to ACE bushings, which are easily the best on the market. For any truck but Thunders...and nothing in that Venture gram leads me to believe that these low bushings are any different than stock except in height.

hey come on, give them a little credit - they made sure to trim the edges so there were no flappy bits

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2753 on: April 18, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
venture low bushings are shaving off mm in the right place
ideally you want to have shorter tops to keep the geometry
ace lows have 1mm shorter bottoms and 2mm taller tops

agreed that ace has great bushings
but the loose truck crowd often rides crumbly bushings anyway

will grab a set of those venture bushings for a transition setup
pairing with low profile kingpin nuts/flat washers for added space
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 06:57:43 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2754 on: April 18, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Lol.
[close]

I did, at your post.

[close]

hey come on, give them a little credit - they made sure to trim the edges so there were no flappy bits

I'll give them that, a bit more effort was done for these...

but loose truck crowd generally rides crumbly bushings anyway

but loose truck crowd generally rides crumbly bushings anyway

Having ridden ACE lows (top and bottom) in Venture (cast) it was the best feeling bushing combo I tried with them (flat washer of course). The ACE low bottom actually sits fine in both venture and indy (more so now that indy's stock bushings are 1-2mm lower than the aftermarkets and sold stock).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2755 on: April 18, 2022, 07:03:10 PM »
Kinda dumb if you don’t use a flat washer because moving the washer lower just makes it bind with the hanger sooner. They should just make better stock bushings and include a flat washer aftermarket or something.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2756 on: April 18, 2022, 07:28:01 PM »
Kinda dumb if you don’t use a flat washer because moving the washer lower just makes it bind with the hanger sooner. They should just make better stock bushings and include a flat washer aftermarket or something.

Seriously.

But that's a big change up though, having to source them then change production lines (and they probably have assloads of those top washers on hand).

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2757 on: April 18, 2022, 11:22:32 PM »

This is exactly how I feel. I love the look and the team and the merch, but I am absolutely forcing myself to like skating them more than I actually do I think. I probably skate my best on Indy but I just don’t want to skate Indy. I keep swapping between ace and venture because of this. The curse of gear madness I suppose. I’m probably would enjoy/progress more in skating if I just went back to Indy but I just don’t want to.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2758 on: April 19, 2022, 01:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is exactly how I feel. I love the look and the team and the merch, but I am absolutely forcing myself to like skating them more than I actually do I think. I probably skate my best on Indy but I just don’t want to skate Indy. I keep swapping between ace and venture because of this. The curse of gear madness I suppose. I’m probably would enjoy/progress more in skating if I just went back to Indy but I just don’t want to.

**virtual hug**

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

IpathCats

« Reply #2759 on: April 19, 2022, 05:05:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

**virtual hug**

We need an Indy support group. It's ok to ride Indy's, not everyone can be a cool ace/venture guy.

Some of us are just doomed to ride the best, and want the rest.

Just remember to chant your affirmations. "GT, Nik Stain, Cyrus, Gustav, GT, Nik Stain, Cyrus, Gustav, GT, Nik Stain, Cyrus, Gustav"