Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364393 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2820 on: April 26, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
I heard this hot take at local skate shop. Loose trucks are for babies and once you have enough control you should tighten your trucks. I suppose it's because when you get better the less you need to adjust your landings.. Venture is the tight truck tho.

Of course there has been a huge marketing push by Venture to make them trendy. It's hard not see it. For me Venture was last of the big 3/4 I had not tested and also I'm a trendy bitch..

Potentially one of the hottest takes. I don't think everyone should be riding loose trucks, but suggesting that you should learn loose and tighten as you get better doesn't make much sense to me.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2821 on: April 26, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
Ya graphics don’t make your tricks better, but to me they’re fun and a source of pride for a brand. It shows effort and allows for additional artistic expression even if it’s transient. When I look at brands like Pizza to me it seems like they don’t care about what they are putting out there.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2822 on: April 26, 2022, 02:57:08 PM »
Ya graphics don’t make your tricks better, but to me they’re fun and a source of pride for a brand. It shows effort and allows for additional artistic expression even if it’s transient. When I look at brands like Pizza to me it seems like they don’t care about what they are putting out there.

And that makes me care about them even less! Haha!
I'm not their target audience then?

Sure, aesthetic and imagery have superficial elements to them, but I prefer connecting with a brand that puts out graphics they're stoked on and that people are stoked on.

Some of the more prominent graphics I've enjoyed over the years helped me remember more about my sessions, my friends, progression, etc. at that time. Triggers for photographic memory, basically. I cherish that!

Blank after blank (with no custom designs or stickers) across months and years would blend skate memories together for me.. :/ Same with trucks, but to a lesser degree. I enjoy Venture's bold branding on some of their models. It's made me consider them seriously for the first time ever. I've never skated Venture before in my 16 years of skating (I don't count trying a couple tricks on a friend's board) and I have a set of polished 5.8's on their way to me :D

Humans crave dopamine through a variety of avenues and if board graphics are another source for that, count me in, too!
Super Champion Fun Zone

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2823 on: April 26, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »
What harder bushings are people replacing venture bushings with? I’m around 210lbs and stock bushings are fine as I usually like a little looser but I want to try a bit harder bushings.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2824 on: April 26, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »
What harder bushings are people replacing venture bushings with? I’m around 210lbs and stock bushings are fine as I usually like a little looser but I want to try a bit harder bushings.

Blue indy aftermarkets (with the barrel bottoms) worked well for me.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2825 on: April 26, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »
supercush 94a would be your best bet
im running the 97a with shorter kingpin nuts, really good shit
if you can spend on those id go with 97s
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2826 on: April 28, 2022, 08:36:47 AM »
I heard this hot take at local skate shop. Loose trucks are for babies and once you have enough control you should tighten your trucks. I suppose it's because when you get better the less you need to adjust your landings.. Venture is the tight truck tho.

Of course there has been a huge marketing push by Venture to make them trendy. It's hard not see it. For me Venture was last of the big 3/4 I had not tested and also I'm a trendy bitch..

Indy/Ace fans punching the air right now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2827 on: April 28, 2022, 01:31:56 PM »
Rodney engineered Tensors not to turn, you only want wiggle to regain your balance…..

Ventures limited turn has turned me into a looser truck guy……

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2828 on: April 28, 2022, 10:20:17 PM »
Another set of stock bushings started cracking. So got some clear supercush 88as. Hate the green 94as. But these feel perfect out the box. Would have probably gotten the orange 90a ones as I feel that harder bushings last longer than softer ones but didn't want my ventures looking like indys. Hopefully they don't feel looser over time, but firm up, so I won't have to crank them down and have threads showing.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2829 on: April 29, 2022, 10:07:40 AM »
Anyone got board recommendations for casted 5.6 ventures?

I like the trucks but I haven't found a board that works. I had Palace 8.38 which was my go to on Ace 33s but it was old when I changed the trucks. Now I'm riding sci-fi fantasy 8.38 that I find to have way too much shape like too steep nose and tail and way too much concave for good measure.. I guess I need something that is flat as fuck, shorter wheelbase and big nose and tail but not steep..

ahh the gear madness.....

The pop master M1 shape is the move. I haven’t tried the recycle boards yet.

The shape is kinda unique the rails are really straight up to the wheels. Nose and tail are round but appear pointy taper. They remind me of Chapman.

Then as a second I’d say the Malto shape I think it go58 or something.

I skated tons of Clutch wood. It’s not my favorite but it’s close.

Also reminds me of Chapman.

In reality there’s nothing better than an old Chapman blank with tri colur veneers. Anyone remember those blank’s
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2830 on: April 29, 2022, 10:28:15 AM »
Is something wrong with my ventures? Today my front truck did 3 times losen up that much that the truck was just wobbling around when shaking my board. Tightened it up and shortly later again.
I would say I usually tighten them up to -1 threat.

Almost got killed when I was skating a London gap and this happened.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: April 29, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
On short wheelbase boards I really liked a girl G052 I had a last year… 8.25 with 14’WB. it had a big shovel nose which I love. My only pet peeve is that it tappers to like an 8.1 on the Tail, would prefer no tapper, but tbh barelly noticeable. 

I like FA/Hockey decks too, 8.25 with 14.12’WB but the kicks are quite steep, might not pair as good with Ventures but riding it atm and it feels good imo…

other one I really liked last year was a Real, Mason’s shape, 8.28 with 14.12’WB. Mellower kicks than FA’s and not as “full”, but felt perfect from the get go.

Now I’m looking at this WKND 8.25 CT shape, which is 8.25 with a 14’WB, looks quite full too. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on that one and see how it feels with the ventures!

I always forget about this shape. I’ve had two during Covid. It’s definitely a great mix with ventures and ace.

I’m not 100 but I think I have a third rn. It might be 8.25 tho. Has the worst hero graphic ever tho.
“pumping feathers” graphic.

I never usually give a shit about graphics. This one is particularly wack and I put it on ice after a few hrs.

I’ve had bad bad luck with my last 2 18.

I got a defective cards cowboy. I was so bummed because cards is the hero. There’s never been a style like that and no one’s ever going to match it.

I hit up dlx because I was so bummed. Reed hooked it up I said send me anything between 8 and 8.5.

I got a grimple 8.28. I was tripping. I thought this shape was extinct. I did like two Ollie’s and pow! The nose broke off.
I wanted to cry. I wanna cry rn.

I kept it in the box I look at it sometimes  because it’s a fire graphic. Grimple as a brand has that Cardiel. There’s been nothing like it and afterwards there won’t be another.

I got the pumpin feathers next an I hate the graphic. The boards dope though. Skates hella good with ventures.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2832 on: April 29, 2022, 10:34:29 AM »
Is something wrong with my ventures? Today my front truck did 3 times losen up that much that the truck was just wobbling around when shaking my board. Tightened it up and shortly later again.

Check the nylon lock in the nut.

When this has happened to me I’d just take off my top bushings and thread the nut all the way on a few times.

Put the trucks back together with the WELL threaded nut upside down. (Nylon down)

Then you can have no thread showing if you like so long as the metal is touching the metal

You can also just get a tube of nylon lock or a new nut.
(A)pl(E)

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2833 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »

I had this happening on my Ace classics a while ago. Krazy glued the nut and it didn't happen again after that.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2834 on: April 29, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »
Thx, will try a new nut. So it’s not that i usually can’t skate them -1 threat tight, right?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2835 on: April 29, 2022, 10:48:23 AM »
Thx, will try a new nut. So it’s not that i usually can’t skate them -1 threat tight, right?

Nah, as long as some threads are in the nylon lock it should be fine usually. Your nylon might have got damaged somehow or something. A new nut should fix that right away, or like I said, some krazy glue, but then as soon as you play with them once the glue is set in it's not gonna do anything, so if you go the krazy glue route, don't loosen/tighten them after.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2836 on: April 29, 2022, 10:50:06 AM »
I’ll get a new nut, thx. Thought I need to get new trucks. Thankfully not

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #2837 on: April 29, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »

I like the trucks but I haven't found a board that works. I had Palace 8.38 which was my go to on Ace 33s but it was old when I changed the trucks. Now I'm riding sci-fi fantasy 8.38 that I find to have way too much shape like too steep nose and tail and way too much concave for good measure.. I guess I need something that is flat as fuck, shorter wheelbase and big nose and tail but not steep..

I always harp on this shape but April 8.25 is everything you’re looking for. It’s amazing on cast highs, full kicks, mellow concave, long mellow nose and tail

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2838 on: April 30, 2022, 04:26:44 AM »
How lose can I make ventures without the nut going loser or falling of on its own?

I‘m a bit traumatized now, when I think about going full speed for tricks over a London gap and almost killing myself cause the truck falls of , which almost happened yesterday to me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2839 on: April 30, 2022, 04:43:43 AM »
How lose can I make ventures without the nut going loser or falling of on its own?

I‘m a bit traumatized now, when I think about going full speed for tricks over a London gap and almost killing myself cause the truck falls of , which almost happened yesterday to me.

Cut down the top bushing, or buy the new low top bushing set would be the easiest thing to do.

I have been cutting the top bushing down for a long time on a lot of setups, for myself and for many others and it works really well.

About 1 mm would do nicely.  You can also sand it down on grip scraps or even on your grip of your current setup, but when you cut it off, if you don't like it, you can always put the piece back in as it was.

Sent you a post about it anyway.

As per someone else from the Instagram post about it, here is the Venture catalog pic as well.

The lower head bushing still fits well under the normal / stock washer without it digging into the hanger, from what I saw and tested of it the other day on a set of Ventures when I measured the height of the lower top bushing against some I had cut down previously.

There are some significantly deeper top washers around though, from other brands or after market products, so if you did end up with a deeper top washer for whatever reason, I would suggest trying to locate a not so deep one or as said, use a flat top washer if you are really worried about it.

Original top bushings are between 9 and 10 mm tall (this one converting to about 9.5mm from the pic), with this low one being 8 mm tall, so only 1.5 difference.  I had some down to about 5 mm and there definitely was some washer catch marks on the hanger, but mostly the 8 mm height would not have any issues.

As to how much difference it makes - quite simply, a lot.  If you have the kingpin nut at the same or flush with the top it is very noticeable from uncut to cut, so you can take the kingpin nut down lower, also giving you more clearance as well as having a looser truck, or tighten it down a bit more and angle grind off the top of the kingpin to have a lot more clearance.

https://venturetrucks.net/

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 04:55:50 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2840 on: April 30, 2022, 06:56:47 AM »
Again, you’re going to want a flat top washer. The stock washer already digs into the hanger if you run it loose and these will make it dig more. The flat washer gives you more end of range turn as well.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2841 on: April 30, 2022, 07:40:03 AM »
Will try the washer and if this is not working I’ll cut them smaller!

Thanks!

Could they eventually be skated without topwasher?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2842 on: April 30, 2022, 08:03:45 AM »
Will try the washer and if this is not working I’ll cut them smaller!

Thanks!

Could they eventually be skated without topwasher?

you could, but i'm not sure you'd find much difference between non washer and a flat tbh other than maybe trashing bushings faster. i'm willing to be corrected on this though, i know bottom bushing suffers the same if you run no washer

edit: this came off harsher than intended tbh so i deleted - sorry about that, there's a lot of good info here to try so good luck out there and be sure to report back with what's been working

double edit: i haven't seen the new bushings at all, anyone else had any luck yet?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 08:16:26 AM by iw0 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #2843 on: April 30, 2022, 08:27:56 AM »
Isn’t it an idea to get conical bushings too?  It doesn’t bring down the height, but definitely makes trucks turn more. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2844 on: April 30, 2022, 09:45:33 AM »
Isn’t it an idea to get conical bushings too?  It doesn’t bring down the height, but definitely makes trucks turn more.

This.
I think this is a contributing factor to why people like bones in ventures so much, the conical boardside bushing offers much less resistance to turning (less stability).
Fuck now I want to get some 5.8s

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1496
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2845 on: April 30, 2022, 11:57:59 AM »
I started to skate ventures for more stability and less turn.

I'm skating both the high and lows on two different 8" setups so I can flip and skate switch. I have them at medium compared to my other setups which are pretty loose.

It feels like the setup I would skate in my 20's when I was my most tech when I rode almost nothing but raw street and didn't ride ramps/bowls. Quite refreshing to be honest and a lot of my pop is coming back because my board doesn't feel squirrelly under my feet when I'm setting up.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2846 on: April 30, 2022, 12:01:25 PM »

I'm skating both the high and lows on two different 8" setups so I can flip and skate switch. I have them at medium compared to my other setups which are pretty loose.

It feels like the setup I would skate in my 20's when I was my most tech when I rode almost nothing but raw street and didn't ride ramps/bowls. Quite refreshing to be honest and a lot of my pop is coming back because my board doesn't feel squirrelly under my feet when I'm setting up.

I love the pop I get with ventures. Maybe it’s as you say, the stability right before the pop.
Some folks claim ace is stable on center, I get too squirrelly and then lose pop with them.
Anything to get the pop back

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2847 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always harp on this shape but April 8.25 is everything you’re looking for. It’s amazing on cast highs, full kicks, mellow concave, long mellow nose and tail

I need to try one of these. Anyone run it on forged highs? Not much difference I would guess?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2848 on: April 30, 2022, 02:52:56 PM »

i'm curious - when you say medium what does that translate to in "threads showing" for you?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1496
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2849 on: April 30, 2022, 04:01:57 PM »
My lows are showing maybe 1 and half in front and almost 2 in back. Sleeved flat washer top mod.

The highs have the green supercush bushings 94a and are barely in the nylock on some inverted grindking AXL pins with sleeved flat washers on top and bottom. Blue loctite.

Nowhere near tight, but the geometry makes this feel considerably stable compared to my royals, aces, and indys.