Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364651 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2850 on: April 30, 2022, 05:33:38 PM »
My lows are showing maybe 1 and half in front and almost 2 in back. Sleeved flat washer top mod.

The highs have the green supercush bushings 94a and are barely in the nylock on some inverted grindking AXL pins with sleeved flat washers on top and bottom. Blue loctite.

Nowhere near tight, but the geometry makes this feel considerably stable compared to my royals, aces, and indys.

gracias, that sounds about what i've found to be medium as well for lows and that's how i had the 94a's in when i had them. always nice to find some sort of confirmation to ease madness

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1499
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2851 on: April 30, 2022, 06:11:36 PM »
No problem.

I'm just happy to have my board popping like it used to before the pandemic began. Since I'm turning 48 in July, I didn't want to accept that my hops had permanently left me prematurely without putting up a fight. It's good to know that my legs aren't to blame yet.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2852 on: April 30, 2022, 08:53:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Will try the washer and if this is not working I’ll cut them smaller!

Thanks!

Could they eventually be skated without topwasher?
[close]

you could, but i'm not sure you'd find much difference between non washer and a flat tbh other than maybe trashing bushings faster. i'm willing to be corrected on this though, i know bottom bushing suffers the same if you run no washer

edit: this came off harsher than intended tbh so i deleted - sorry about that, there's a lot of good info here to try so good luck out there and be sure to report back with what's been working

double edit: i haven't seen the new bushings at all, anyone else had any luck yet?

I definitely would not ride a board without both washers, but I know some people do.  They often have issues and blow out bushings too from what I have seen, but that is their thing.

As to where these new Venture bushings are, the reply on the Venture Instagram post was that they are headed to shops now, so some places might already have them in stock in USA, but I know they said it will be a while before they are here in Australia, or other places round the world.

The Indy low top after market bushings that I use in pretty much all my normal setups with Indy trucks are still around, but very hard to get, but almost any normal bushing can be cut down, especially all the stock and aftermarket bushings from these brands.  I have never tried to cut Bones bushings down, but I have seen it done and it worked for them.

Even though I enjoy mixing and matching, I like to keep Indy bushings in Indy trucks, Venture bushings in Venture trucks, Thunder stock, Ace stock, etc.  Might be weird, but I do find they all work well.  More so just when people blow out bushings, or in particular when really light weight people need an extra bit of turn, or well used trucks need lower tops, to have better kingpin clearance, that is when it really comes into play, with cutting down tops for me.

The number of times I have read back over something I have written and thought that might sound a bit mean, nasty or harsh, then added a disclaimer to it, then often been told it is ok, but I get what you mean though.  It is hard to convey things on here sometimes without it coming across a certain way.

At the end of the day, many of the things said on here are subjective or even valid from a certain point of view, so I would never be so quick to put anyone down as my own experiences can easily differ from other people in the use and wear of exactly the same product.

I guess too, when people come on here asking for info or advice or even just sounding out their thoughts, the last thing I would want to do is put them down or do anything other than offer my own thoughts and experiences, but I always try to do it in such a way as to keep it neutral, more so than anything else.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #2853 on: April 30, 2022, 11:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got board recommendations for casted 5.6 ventures?

I like the trucks but I haven't found a board that works. I had Palace 8.38 which was my go to on Ace 33s but it was old when I changed the trucks. Now I'm riding sci-fi fantasy 8.38 that I find to have way too much shape like too steep nose and tail and way too much concave for good measure.. I guess I need something that is flat as fuck, shorter wheelbase and big nose and tail but not steep..

ahh the gear madness.....
[close]

I always harp on this shape but April 8.25 is everything you’re looking for. It’s amazing on cast highs, full kicks, mellow concave, long mellow nose and tail
[close]

I need to try one of these. Anyone run it on forged highs? Not much difference I would guess?

Haven't tried forged yet but im sure they'd be fine.  I just know don't go as low as thunder cast or the pop will feel dead.  The tails so long this shape that theres 0% chance of ghost pop on cast highs unless you go 55mm+.  I usually skate 52s, but can go up to 54 without the pop feeling different.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2854 on: April 30, 2022, 11:23:16 PM »
I came off of team thunders and got cast hi’s……I think it’s a good height….

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2855 on: May 01, 2022, 02:29:48 AM »
Any idea when the bushings will be available ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2856 on: May 01, 2022, 03:51:38 AM »

Might have been a bit too much in the last post but this is from the middle of that text:

As to where these new Venture bushings are, the reply on the Venture Instagram post was that they are headed to shops now, so some places might already have them in stock in USA, but I know they said it will be a while before they are here in Australia, or other places round the world.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2857 on: May 01, 2022, 03:57:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Might have been a bit too much in the last post but this is from the middle of that text:

Thx. I think I will just cut mine down a bit

Royalty

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2858 on: May 01, 2022, 04:58:02 AM »

SoCal skateshop has them online! I ordered a pair a couple days ago and got them yesterday, that green is gorgeous. Haven’t had the chance to set them up, but have been rocking a flat top washer on some 5.6 v hollows and loving every second of it. Directiveskateshop.com has them too. Haven’t seen any pop up at any local shops here in SoCal.

Edit: looks like SoCal is sold out, but directive still has them. https://www.directiveboardshop.com/products/venture-loose-trucks-bushing-conversion-kit-green
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:24:07 AM by Royalty »

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2859 on: May 01, 2022, 07:30:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SoCal skateshop has them online! I ordered a pair a couple days ago and got them yesterday, that green is gorgeous. Haven’t had the chance to set them up, but have been rocking a flat top washer on some 5.6 v hollows and loving every second of it. Directiveskateshop.com has them too. Haven’t seen any pop up at any local shops here in SoCal.

Edit: looks like SoCal is sold out, but directive still has them. https://www.directiveboardshop.com/products/venture-loose-trucks-bushing-conversion-kit-green

Thanks! I’m in Europe though. I hope shops here will have them soon

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2860 on: May 02, 2022, 03:08:47 PM »
What do you guys think the draw backs are from ventures lo vs venture hi?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #2861 on: May 02, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
lo- not so good for all terrain options for wheels limited unless you get risers which why would you.
High- pretty big difference in height from the lo, not super light.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #2862 on: May 02, 2022, 03:45:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
lo- not so good for all terrain options for wheels limited unless you get risers which why would you.
High- pretty big difference in height from the lo, not super light.
Fun fact, the lows actually weigh the same as the highs. The highs are even 1-3 grams lighter. No idea why, but at least the weight isn't something to worry about.
What needs to be mentioned is kingpin clearance. There's zero on lows and more than you'll ever need on highs.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2863 on: May 02, 2022, 03:52:14 PM »

the biggest two differences for me were mentioned but between lo and kingpin clearance and the lo's really aren't all terrain enough for me. i can run them with 54's at max wheel size and suffer through the wheelbite, but even then there's other things that i know will go smoother with hi's

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Will try the washer and if this is not working I’ll cut them smaller!

Thanks!

Could they eventually be skated without topwasher?
[close]

you could, but i'm not sure you'd find much difference between non washer and a flat tbh other than maybe trashing bushings faster. i'm willing to be corrected on this though, i know bottom bushing suffers the same if you run no washer

edit: this came off harsher than intended tbh so i deleted - sorry about that, there's a lot of good info here to try so good luck out there and be sure to report back with what's been working

double edit: i haven't seen the new bushings at all, anyone else had any luck yet?
[close]

I definitely would not ride a board without both washers, but I know some people do.  They often have issues and blow out bushings too from what I have seen, but that is their thing.

The Indy low top after market bushings that I use in pretty much all my normal setups with Indy trucks are still around, but very hard to get, but almost any normal bushing can be cut down, especially all the stock and aftermarket bushings from these brands.  I have never tried to cut Bones bushings down, but I have seen it done and it worked for them.

Even though I enjoy mixing and matching, I like to keep Indy bushings in Indy trucks, Venture bushings in Venture trucks, Thunder stock, Ace stock, etc.  Might be weird, but I do find they all work well.  More so just when people blow out bushings, or in particular when really light weight people need an extra bit of turn, or well used trucks need lower tops, to have better kingpin clearance, that is when it really comes into play, with cutting down tops for me.

The number of times I have read back over something I have written and thought that might sound a bit mean, nasty or harsh, then added a disclaimer to it, then often been told it is ok, but I get what you mean though.  It is hard to convey things on here sometimes without it coming across a certain way.

At the end of the day, many of the things said on here are subjective or even valid from a certain point of view, so I would never be so quick to put anyone down as my own experiences can easily differ from other people in the use and wear of exactly the same product.

I guess too, when people come on here asking for info or advice or even just sounding out their thoughts, the last thing I would want to do is put them down or do anything other than offer my own thoughts and experiences, but I always try to do it in such a way as to keep it neutral, more so than anything else.
[close]
ty dude 🙏

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2864 on: May 03, 2022, 02:59:08 AM »
I have a pair of Venture hollow lights and I ride with my trucks quite tight, I've added Indy super hard bushings. 
Problem is because of the angle of the kingpin to the hanger both my Unit tool and my Silver tool do not fit the kingpin bolt.
Is there another skate tool that fits?  I don't want to have to carry around a skate tool and another wrench.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2865 on: May 03, 2022, 05:59:44 AM »
I have an older spitfire skate tool that fits my ventures good.  It works for kingpin and hardware because it is all metal with thinner sidewalls.
I’m not even sure it made anymore.  I found it left behind at a skatepark in Utah….

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2866 on: May 03, 2022, 06:01:15 AM »
Just looked. The spitfire tool is still available.
https://www.amazon.com/Spitfire-Wheels-T3-Skateboard-Tool/dp/B003IM1TO8

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2867 on: May 03, 2022, 06:26:23 AM »
The Ace tool also fits and is a great tool in general.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2868 on: May 03, 2022, 07:47:05 AM »
It’s worth mentioning that sometimes just pushing the side of the hanger that’s binding on the tool down toward the deck will free it up. If you can stand to loosen the kingpin nut a little while putting them on, it makes things easier as well. Maybe this is obvious to everyone else but I can recall plenty of times I was struggling to get a stuck tool off the nut that it took me way too long to remember this.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #2869 on: May 04, 2022, 05:32:07 PM »
Stock top bushing vs Loose top bushing

Makes a huge difference in how much you need to tighten down the kingpin nut to make them feel stock

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2870 on: May 04, 2022, 05:39:16 PM »

Makes a huge difference in how much you need to tighten down the kingpin nut to make them feel stock

ahhh ty so much! how far DO you have to go to feel stock? i can't even picture it honestly

oh and do they feel any better than the stock in hand? curious if they end up being a little different quality in the long run

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #2871 on: May 04, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ahhh ty so much! how far DO you have to go to feel stock? i can't even picture it honestly

oh and do they feel any better than the stock in hand? curious if they end up being a little different quality in the long run

For the stock, I get resistance when tightening down the nut right before the nylon engages with the thread. With the loose, there's about one and a half threads showing before I start getting resistance.

They feel same when I hold them, but I haven't gotten a chance to skate them yet.

oak leaf

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2872 on: May 04, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »
Wouldn't the smaller bushings make the trucks have a shorter wheelbase/lower truck (idk)? This might make manuals and turning feel different compared to stock.

I think only the roadside bushing is shorter so it shouldnt change the geo

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2873 on: May 04, 2022, 07:21:42 PM »

I just tried this out this past weekend cause my local had them just around the time I needed new bushings and I’ve been eager to try it out. That amount of height they took off is a little too much I think. I don’t like having the kingpin stick out more than half a thread. Flush is king but with these on flush feels like Matt Rodriguez loose. It might also been the truck combo I had it on. I had a forged-hollow baseplate on a standard 6.1 hanger w/ top and bottom washers on. Even with the stock bushings on it was more a controllable loose but the green conversions is way too loose and still with 3 threads out w/ fair jiggly haha!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2874 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16:11 PM »
well they arent designed to be run with threads showing
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2875 on: May 05, 2022, 07:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just tried this out this past weekend cause my local had them just around the time I needed new bushings and I’ve been eager to try it out. That amount of height they took off is a little too much I think. I don’t like having the kingpin stick out more than half a thread. Flush is king but with these on flush feels like Matt Rodriguez loose. It might also been the truck combo I had it on. I had a forged-hollow baseplate on a standard 6.1 hanger w/ top and bottom washers on. Even with the stock bushings on it was more a controllable loose but the green conversions is way too loose and still with 3 threads out w/ fair jiggly haha!

For anyone who has any brand of trucks that are well used or have issues with the kingpin hitting on grinds or anything else, these are an answer to that as well.

Using the bushings as normal, having the low tops set up to where you want the truck, not just where the nut usually sits on the kingpin (on average 2 to 3 threads lower), then grinding down the kingpin with an angle grinder or any other way will increase the clearance on the kingpin considerably while still allowing the truck to do what it normally does, as the bottom bushing is still the same.

I am not saying this is the answer to everything, but it is another use for these lower top bushings and saves having to cut down regular bushings to make trucks more manageable for those who need them loose or just want to have more kingpin clearance.

At least it gives more options too, as there are a significant number of people I know and skate with, not just super light weight kids, who have the kingpin nut barely on, which is an issue both for clearance and the possibility of the nut falling off as they can't get their trucks loose enough.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2876 on: May 05, 2022, 10:19:52 PM »
Bushings should be smaller across all trucks. That ace classic one was ridiculous. I swapped that one out immediately.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #2877 on: May 06, 2022, 12:10:43 AM »
when is it time to switch bushings? my trucks actually feel kinda good rn but the bushings sorta shredded.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:34:38 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #2878 on: May 06, 2022, 01:10:35 AM »
anyone got any idea if/when that low bushing kit will make it's way to the UK?  :)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2879 on: May 06, 2022, 12:59:14 PM »
when is it time to switch bushings? my trucks actually feel kinda good rn but the bushings sorta shredded.

When it’s not feeling good anymore.