Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363823 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3780 on: January 11, 2023, 01:39:15 AM »
Anybody redrill their baseplates?

Like Koston?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3781 on: January 11, 2023, 06:28:50 AM »
I don't weigh anything so I actually really liked conicals/bones.  Kinda hard to recommend them but they worked well for me......

Bones Meds really changed my view on ventures... Went from being on the fence to really love them now. But I feel like it's more the flat washer doing the magic than the bushings themselves.

I weight 145lbs/65kg for reference ahah

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3782 on: January 11, 2023, 06:51:28 AM »
I agree and have done the same…a lot of people seem to have problems with bones with bones which is why it’s hard to tell everyone to ride them….I had mediums in mine with a riptide pivot cup and loved skating them looser…..

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3783 on: January 11, 2023, 08:00:24 AM »
i ran bones mediums when i first hopped on the Venture train and they make the trucks more twitchy. not like Thunder twitchy, but that's the best way i can explain it. definitely gives you more turning freedom than stock and works great if you like bones bushings. i just think bones bushings give off such a specific and unique feel that takes away the fun/purpose from trying different truck geometries.

i typically run stock with a top flat washer and that feels the most natural way to get more turn out of ventures and still maintain that venture stability. Supercush are good aftermarket replacement bushings and Indy barrel bushings work, too (the top is slightly taller than stock).

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3784 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:33 AM »
Got to skate the cast v hollows today and I think I may be a venture guy. Slides felt good. Grinded a little slower than an Indy but my Indy’s are pretty seasoned so that may be why.  Pinch better than an Indy. Turn felt fine to me. Skated some tranny on them at the diy and the extended wheelbase I think helped me have a more comfortable wider stance  on some of the tranny. Certain tricks felt better (impossible) my ankle is still kinda to fucked up to flick the board. But I threw one shitty kick flip. Only complaint is I’m ghost popping nollies like crazy and wasn’t on Indy cast. Which is weird cause somehow in my head the extension on wb on venture but lower and the height of an Indy shortening wb somehow even each other out so they should feel close. Idk. I’m also skating a hockey but Indy’s my nollies was nicely popped. But idc. I’m into them. Fingers crossed I found my truck.

Same. My nollie suffered for a little bit. Now I just pop closer to the truck and I connect proper
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3785 on: January 11, 2023, 09:25:18 AM »
Thank y’all for keeping this thread running for 3+ years. Love reading everyone’s experiences since I started this bad boy.

Just scooped up the 5.2 Ted barrow v cast hollows and the 5.6 kader v cast hollows. I run a 5.2 on 8.1, and 5.6 on a 8.25. Got both on sale for the same price as a single pair of titaniums. Been on 5.6 titanium with cast plate for 2+ years and pretty close to axle. So I’m very excited to skate a “different” truck even though they share the same characteristics as what I have now minus being titanium. I just love ted and kader so it was a no brainer to get those trucks. Keeping the green bushings in the Barrows and I’m swapping out the blacks in the Kaders for the green bushing loose conversion kit.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3786 on: January 11, 2023, 09:45:32 AM »
Thank y’all for keeping this thread running for 3+ years. Love reading everyone’s experiences since I started this bad boy.

Just scooped up the 5.2 Ted barrow v cast hollows and the 5.6 kader v cast hollows. I run a 5.2 on 8.1, and 5.6 on a 8.25. Got both on sale for the same price as a single pair of titaniums. Been on 5.6 titanium with cast plate for 2+ years and pretty close to axle. So I’m very excited to skate a “different” truck even though they share the same characteristics as what I have now minus being titanium. I just love ted and kader so it was a no brainer to get those trucks. Keeping the green bushings in the Barrows and I’m swapping out the blacks in the Kaders for the green bushing loose conversion kit.
not that I need new trucks lmao but where did you get the 5.2 Ted for the low? wish there was a polished 5.6 v cast hollow

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3787 on: January 11, 2023, 06:43:30 PM »
Currently skating my first set of Ventures in like two years (as the trucks on my main setup).  Turns worse than I remembered but the grind is better than I remembered.  Got the cast hollows this time.  I keep getting about halfway to axle-ing my trucks before switching it up (theme of last year for me) - I’d like to stick these out till I hit the axle. 

sadnocomply

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3788 on: January 11, 2023, 07:01:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
not that I need new trucks lmao but where did you get the 5.2 Ted for the low? wish there was a polished 5.6 v cast hollow
both were on 303 boards website during their big sale the last few weeks. I’m sure we’ll see some 5.6 v cast hollows in polished soon enough. Maybe spring catalog? I had to get the Barrows because that pooh graphic with his head in the honey bucket is engrained in my childhood. Got the Kaders because I’ve never owned a raw truck only polished

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3789 on: January 11, 2023, 07:30:05 PM »
i ran bones hard in ventures and the top bushing always blew out within like 2 weeks (im 6'3 and weigh 195 tho) so maybe thats why?

switched to doh doh blacks last march and they're still in perfect condition

i run doh doh's with a flat washer and a reg washer on top and it's perfect imo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3790 on: January 11, 2023, 09:08:15 PM »

I didn't drill out the Venture baseplates, but I did put two bolts in the two old school holes in a six hole baseplate just to feel the difference and it was massive - that is the same position as drilling them out.

On one hand I can definitely understand why some people would shift one or both trucks in, but I think it also really depends on the board too.  On a longer steeper board it really evened everything out a lot and made it feel way more like something I would ride, but on my usual mellow concave board, it made the kicks way too light feeling.

Definitely fun to experience that though and there would always be a market / option for people who rode Ventures if they wanted a lighter feel or shorter wheelbase on their existing board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MONS 56K

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3791 on: January 11, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I didn't drill out the Venture baseplates, but I did put two bolts in the two old school holes in a six hole baseplate just to feel the difference and it was massive - that is the same position as drilling them out.

On one hand I can definitely understand why some people would shift one or both trucks in, but I think it also really depends on the board too.  On a longer steeper board it really evened everything out a lot and made it feel way more like something I would ride, but on my usual mellow concave board, it made the kicks way too light feeling.

Definitely fun to experience that though and there would always be a market / option for people who rode Ventures if they wanted a lighter feel or shorter wheelbase on their existing board.

Word thanks Brimmo, been thinking about it.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3792 on: January 12, 2023, 09:54:25 AM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #3793 on: January 12, 2023, 04:32:06 PM »
Just bought forged v hollows over cast, cause I wanted shiny ones. What’s the difference performance wise?

sadnocomply

« Reply #3794 on: January 12, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »
Just bought forged v hollows over cast, cause I wanted shiny ones. What’s the difference performance wise?
obviously the forged are lower trucks but not by much. Talking 1.5 mm lower. And the forged extends your wb slightly more so than the cast. That’s it. It’s the same trucks as far as everything else. I enjoy the forged plates on 14” wb decks, they don’t agree with me on 14.25” and up but some people love them on that setup. Cast has a lil more meat on the bone for nose and tail slides. Again that’s about it. Enjoy that forged life! They are great trucks at the end of the day and you can mix and match venture plates at any time if you don’t like it

sadnocomply

« Reply #3795 on: January 12, 2023, 05:14:09 PM »

sadnocomply

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
« Reply #3797 on: January 12, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »

sadnocomply

« Reply #3798 on: January 12, 2023, 05:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.paradeworld.com/products/venture-hollow-kader-pro-trucks-5658-166-6914388394049/

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/venture-v-cast-hollow-light-ted-barrow-trucks-52h58-166-6935318757441/

That’s the 303board sale. If you put them in your cart it’ll say shipped from Colorado.

New V cast hollows on sale, all sizes
[close]
good looks! Someone asked where I got mine a page back but didn’t realize this was the same sale!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3799 on: January 12, 2023, 05:50:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
obviously the forged are lower trucks but not by much. Talking 1.5 mm lower. And the forged extends your wb slightly more so than the cast. That’s it. It’s the same trucks as far as everything else. I enjoy the forged plates on 14” wb decks, they don’t agree with me on 14.25” and up but some people love them on that setup. Cast has a lil more meat on the bone for nose and tail slides. Again that’s about it. Enjoy that forged life! They are great trucks at the end of the day and you can mix and match venture plates at any time if you don’t like it

You get a lot more rattle and vibrations through the baseplates with forged too, forged pinches a bit better but Venture pinches good regardless. I keep 8.25 and 8.5 hangers around and swap between cast / forged baseplates depending on the WB of the board.

Jus' hang loose blood, you're already on the Venture train.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3800 on: January 12, 2023, 11:39:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
king shit. Would gnar if I could

Gotchu  ;)
(I also got the same tee)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3801 on: January 13, 2023, 09:43:54 AM »

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3802 on: January 13, 2023, 11:32:06 AM »
Will ace bushings fit my ventures hi?

I got a pair of the forged hollow and been trying to make them work for me but it really pissed me off how stiff and unresponsive they feel (coming from ace).

I love skating flatground with them but I mainly skate transition, slappys, wallies, and those feel terrible at the moment...

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3803 on: January 13, 2023, 01:00:43 PM »

I got a pair of the forged hollow and been trying to make them work for me but it really pissed me off how stiff and unresponsive they feel (coming from ace).

I love skating flatground with them but I mainly skate transition, slappys, wallies, and those feel terrible at the moment...

Ace low bushings will fit

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #3804 on: January 13, 2023, 01:07:52 PM »
Or get the loose truck kit that venture has.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
  • ow

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3806 on: January 13, 2023, 03:48:18 PM »

Some bushing change up may help a bit, but the reality is you are coming from Ace being the "most turny truck" on the market to Venture being the "least turny truck" just in the geometry alone, which no amount of bushing change up is going to fix.

That said, once you get used to how much more pressure you need to put on Ventures to turn, compared to Ace or even Indy (which is what I usually skate) they can still turn relatively well, but the first few sessions on a board with Venture trucks, I was stepping off the board or it was still going relatively straight compared to how either of the boards I have with Ace trucks turn, one with Classics and one with AF1 trucks.

Venture are said to be the most stable of all trucks, mainly because they don't turn half as quickly, but regardless of bushings, do you ride rattling loose trucks or more normal / stock nut flush sort of thing?

Even with the nut down a full thread / turn or two on Ace it will still turn more than Venture ever will.

Getting the low bushing kit (marketed as the loose trucks kit) will only solve your issues if you ride very loose trucks to start with and even then, for a normal person they will be very mushy, so although you might have a little more turn, you might still not like how they turn.

The stock Venture bushings are pretty soft and do allow for a lot of turn, but breaking them in nicely is going to be harder when you come from Ace and the much lighter turn any and all Ace trucks have, regardless of bushings.

That's just my thoughts on the change anyway.

It can be done, but it does take time for you to get used to them, otherwise it might be better to pass them on to someone else and go with what you are used to.

Edit:

Either way I would never tell people how to ride their boards - everyone is different, but finding what works for you is the most important thing right now.

The easiest way to feel them out is loosen the nut not quite all the way off and stand on the board (not have a full session on it) or just roll very lightly round as that is about the feel of the loose truck kit bushings.  They are the same bushings, just lower heads so you can get the nut on with a lot more room to move, or tighten them down as needed.

Another temporary solution is taking the metal washers off the bottom just to feel them out.  Again it is not a permanent fix, but some other people I know do this to get bushings more nicely worn in and they will definitely loosen up the feeling of the stock bushings.  You might even like it.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:55:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #3807 on: January 13, 2023, 03:53:55 PM »
Yeah the ideal temperature to set up a new set of ventures is 65 Fahrenheit and up. Then you’ll wonder why people complain about Venture trucks not turning unless you really dig into the turn but that’s the geometry of them.

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #3808 on: January 13, 2023, 05:04:44 PM »

They’re too big but on a related note I’ve been running a cut down Ace top bushing with a flat washer and stock bottoms for a while now and shit is magical.

BL0B

• Rep: 416
« Reply #3809 on: January 13, 2023, 05:35:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They’re too big but on a related note I’ve been running a cut down Ace top bushing with a flat washer and stock bottoms for a while now and shit is magical.

ace low bushings and a flat washer is a great setup. the top was still a little tall but i didn't feel the need to cut it down. everyone's cut bushing i've seen came out really inconsistent and looked pretty terrible.