Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364937 times)

runespliffberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4590 on: August 19, 2023, 09:18:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I have some ventures in my spare parts box, bought them for nostalgia, but absolutely hate them after years of skating turny-trucks. They definitely have the coolest branding and I want to like them. These trucks do not turn well, and I hate tic-tacking. Would removing the bottom washer, thus pulling the WB in, and running indy conical bushings help with deeper smoother turns? Or is it just a characteristic of these trucks and I have to accept that I will give these away at the park?
[close]

Definitely try combinations of this and that if you are already at the point where you just don't want to deal with them any other way.

Removing the bottom washer will make them looser to a degree, but the interesting thing with other trucks like Ace is that with the taller bottom bushing, the trucks turn a whole lot more, so you could even try a taller bottom bushing / lower top bushing combo, or add an extra washer underneath and see how that feels too.

When I did it to other brand trucks, I was surprised that they felt way more turny without going straight to wheelbite, but that was just me.  I had cut off a single mm of top bushing, then put the cut off bit under the hanger with the bottom bushing and it made the biggest difference to how the trucks turned and reacted.

A fun thing to do at least.

Edit:

Expand Quote
I think it’s a mix of fresh trucks and QC with venture. Currently have ventures on my board and they turn great, but they were pretty stiff when new. Waxed where the bushings go and the pivot cups, bombed hills and did slappys and they’re super smooth.

Also had a pair that was loose out of the gate and stayed smooth.

I don’t think the green bushings, or flat washers or any of that is necessary to get them feeling good.
[close]

Yes the wax between all bushings, washers, etc really does "loosen" everything up a lot when I tried it too.

Sometimes that is all that could be needed to go from feeling too stiff to having a whole lot more turn from the exact same trucks and not changing anything out on them.

Adding to my truck madness but I absolutely love it. I never thought about waxing where the bushings go, I usually do a drop of motor oil in the pivot cups to prevent squeaks, but this just makes complete sense to me as the bushings can move more freely. I’ll give it a go, thank you!

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4591 on: August 20, 2023, 09:20:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have some ventures in my spare parts box, bought them for nostalgia, but absolutely hate them after years of skating turny-trucks. They definitely have the coolest branding and I want to like them. These trucks do not turn well, and I hate tic-tacking. Would removing the bottom washer, thus pulling the WB in, and running indy conical bushings help with deeper smoother turns? Or is it just a characteristic of these trucks and I have to accept that I will give these away at the park?
[close]

Definitely try combinations of this and that if you are already at the point where you just don't want to deal with them any other way.

Removing the bottom washer will make them looser to a degree, but the interesting thing with other trucks like Ace is that with the taller bottom bushing, the trucks turn a whole lot more, so you could even try a taller bottom bushing / lower top bushing combo, or add an extra washer underneath and see how that feels too.

When I did it to other brand trucks, I was surprised that they felt way more turny without going straight to wheelbite, but that was just me.  I had cut off a single mm of top bushing, then put the cut off bit under the hanger with the bottom bushing and it made the biggest difference to how the trucks turned and reacted.

Edit:

Expand Quote
I think it’s a mix of fresh trucks and QC with venture. Currently have ventures on my board and they turn great, but they were pretty stiff when new. Waxed where the bushings go and the pivot cups, bombed hills and did slappys and they’re super smooth.

I don’t think the green bushings, or flat washers or any of that is necessary to get them feeling good.
[close]

Yes the wax between all bushings, washers, etc really does "loosen" everything up a lot when I tried it too.

Sometimes that is all that could be needed to go from feeling too stiff to having a whole lot more turn from the exact same trucks and not changing anything out on them.
[close]

Adding to my truck madness but I absolutely love it. I never thought about waxing where the bushings go, I usually do a drop of motor oil in the pivot cups to prevent squeaks, but this just makes complete sense to me as the bushings can move more freely. I’ll give it a go, thank you!

I’ve also found Ventures to be a little stiff out of the bag, but I’ve been using stock Indy bushings in mine, and they are lively as fuck with no break-in.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4592 on: August 20, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve also found Ventures to be a little stiff out of the bag, but I’ve been using stock Indy bushings in mine, and they are lively as fuck with no break-in.
Indy bushings are so good even Venture lows turn on them. They actually get too lose, or too bouncy if you go either way though, but mine were broken in a lot already.

runespliffberg

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4593 on: August 20, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit:

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Indy bushings are so good even Venture lows turn on them. They actually get too lose, or too bouncy if you go either way though, but mine were broken in a lot already.

Just ordered the green Riptide 90a conical bushings. I’ll report back after next weekend, once I get a few sessions in on them in the 5.6’s (cast). Planning to run no bottom washer like I do in my thunders, let’s see if that helps them get surfy/deeper turns.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4594 on: August 20, 2023, 08:50:37 PM »
‘surfy’.

gross.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4595 on: August 22, 2023, 08:32:55 AM »
Curious to try Ventures after Ace and Indy. Been skating tighter setups lately. I realize I'll probably need a deck with a shorter wheelbase, but the bushings/turning also raise some questions. Venture experts: how would Indy bushings work on Venture Hi's? The Lo's are not an option for me.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4596 on: August 22, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
They fit fine if you like the color orange for bushings.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4597 on: August 22, 2023, 10:04:58 AM »
Venture stock bushings aren't bad and are 90D. Try em stock for a while, then maybe try the 88A Supercush

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #4598 on: August 22, 2023, 10:21:48 AM »
Stock bushings are good if you ride a tighter truck, indy bushings are for loose rydaz that want some turn.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4599 on: August 22, 2023, 01:09:20 PM »
They're the same durometer and height and are not any different.

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #4600 on: August 22, 2023, 02:38:14 PM »
Other than Brandon Westgate and Aleka Lang, which street skaters ride Venture lows these days?

I assume that a bunch of the Magenta and Maybe Evisen/Lenz skaters ride them.

Don’t know why I need to know, just bored and curious
mankind is unkind man

mdspb

• Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4601 on: August 22, 2023, 03:05:08 PM »
^ Nick Matthews
JAH SK8 SPB

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4602 on: August 22, 2023, 03:51:16 PM »
Curious to try Ventures after Ace and Indy. Been skating tighter setups lately. I realize I'll probably need a deck with a shorter wheelbase, but the bushings/turning also raise some questions. Venture experts: how would Indy bushings work on Venture Hi's? The Lo's are not an option for me.

They fit fine if you like the color orange for bushings.

Indy bushings work fine in Venture trucks, and you have white 78 duro, red 88 (but feel harder) orange 90 that feel softer, blue 92, black 94 and yellow 96 duro, so all options in lots of colours.

It is funny that some trucks you just have the picture of which colour bushings work best in them, or that some bushings just don't look right in some trucks, but yeah they still do the job and work fine.

The other thing is the Indy bushings are everywhere, so usually really easy to get hold of and they don't seem to blow out the way some other bushings do.

That is not to say that any other bushings aren't going to do the job either, but Supercush seem a lot harder to get now and most people want cylinder bushings in Venture trucks, rather than the Thunder bushings, which also work well, but tend to blow out a little more often.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #4603 on: August 22, 2023, 04:30:07 PM »
^ Nick Matthews

Totally forgot! Good one :)
mankind is unkind man

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4604 on: August 22, 2023, 04:57:29 PM »
Other than Brandon Westgate and Aleka Lang, which street skaters ride Venture lows these days?

Westgate is on highs in all recent IG clips.

Yuto and the other Japanese dude on Primitive ride lows

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4605 on: August 22, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Westgate was on V-lights or V-hollows ( hi ) when I saw him on Sunday. New Balance had a meet and greet at my local DIY.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4606 on: August 22, 2023, 05:20:00 PM »
could have sworn lang was on highs with cranked KPs, but i've been wrong before

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #4607 on: August 22, 2023, 05:49:25 PM »
could have sworn lang was on highs with cranked KPs, but i've been wrong before

You might be right, just assume because everything about his setup is compact haha
mankind is unkind man

chaosisme

• mankind is unkind man
« Reply #4608 on: August 22, 2023, 05:51:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had no idea BW wasn’t on lows now, I guess there are even less people than I thought! 🤣
mankind is unkind man

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #4609 on: August 22, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »

PJ Ladd
Felipe Gustavo
Gino
Puleo

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4610 on: August 22, 2023, 06:57:30 PM »
They're the same durometer and height and are not any different.

And yet, they make the trucks feel very different.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #4611 on: August 22, 2023, 09:15:26 PM »
Unlike Thunder, Venture does not tell the height of the trucks on their site. Anyone happen to know the heights of Ventures? Lo, Hi, forged, and cast?
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4612 on: August 22, 2023, 09:24:21 PM »
Unlike Thunder, Venture does not tell the height of the trucks on their site. Anyone happen to know the heights of Ventures? Lo, Hi, forged, and cast?

I think people had added all that info back somewhere in this thread, but from memory, info as follows:

Venture standards / hi with cast baseplate 53.5 mm

Venture standard / hi with forged baseplate 52 mm

Venture low on cast baseplate 48 mm

Cast plate / forged plate take off 1.5 mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4613 on: August 22, 2023, 09:26:10 PM »
Always on the grind. what’s up shredders, thinking about copping some venture 5.6 today, the real question is should I go with good ol polished or should I go with some v-lights or v-hollows? I usually run 144 Indy but fuck it I wanna switch it up. I’m probably going to hate my life fucking with the wheelbase and pop feel of switching truck brands but fuck it I wanna support dlx and my last few thunders have been absolute trash. I skate 8.25 quasi or fa/hockey squarish shapes 14-14.25wb right now & I’m use to the indy feel. Any suggestions get at me, shalom.

@sadnocomply could change the header / remove the 2020 or add more info to the first post as per some other truck threads, but it is not that big a deal.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #4614 on: August 22, 2023, 09:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think people had added all that info back somewhere in this thread, but from memory, info as follows:

Venture standards / hi with cast baseplate 53.5 mm

Venture standard / hi with forged baseplate 52 mm

Venture low on cast baseplate 48 mm

Cast plate / forged plate take off 1.5 mm

Thanks, have a gnar.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Banned from the room

« Reply #4615 on: August 22, 2023, 10:19:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
PJ Ladd
Felipe Gustavo
Gino
Puleo

Don't Gino ride Thunders now. I'm pretty sure he and Guy both got trucks.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4616 on: August 22, 2023, 10:49:24 PM »

Check my signature
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4617 on: August 23, 2023, 01:11:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
PJ Ladd
Felipe Gustavo
Gino
Puleo
[close]

Don't Gino ride Thunders now. I'm pretty sure he and Guy both got trucks.

Felipe Gustavo rides Hi now, because of kingpin drag

edit: that's P rod, but Felipe Gustavo also rides hi
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 01:26:43 AM by richard00800 »

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4618 on: August 23, 2023, 01:43:55 AM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4619 on: August 23, 2023, 02:10:13 AM »
Stock bushings are good if you ride a tighter truck, indy bushings are for loose rydaz that want some turn.
^ this
Went to Venture from Ace and change didn't worked for me. Back on Aces
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.