Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364554 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4950 on: October 18, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »
got some cheap nord-lock washers, hope they work better than locktite.
I had once my bolts loosen even i use locktite on them.

i’ve really enjoyed some of your specific recommendations.
but not this.

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #4951 on: October 18, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
got some cheap nord-lock washers, hope they work better than locktite.
I had once my bolts loosen even i use locktite on them.

My assumption is the aluminum will be too soft to really prevent it from twisting.  But definitely report back because if it does work this is an excellent and cheap thing to add to a setup.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4952 on: October 18, 2023, 03:30:32 PM »
That Flaming V graphic is right on.

I'm not the biggest graphics trucks person. That one's no frickin problem

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4953 on: October 18, 2023, 03:40:41 PM »
New Manderson V cast hollows incoming:

Those are fire...

I may be the odd man out but FFS screen that shit so it's rightside up when wheels down...I get that they do it this way for display cases but ugh,,,

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #4954 on: October 18, 2023, 03:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Kind of a random question. I have a set of very broken in standard 5.2 highs and lightly used 5.8 titaniums. I tried to put the 5.8 ti hangers on the 5.2 standard baseplates to make a hybrid truck, but for whatever reason they aren’t pairing well. I tried with stock bushings and it seems like the hangers are leaning really far inward, so the top bushings aren’t seated properly and I can’t get the top washer on at all. I tried with bones bushings and it was basically the same.

I was under the impression that I could mix and match parts at will, but it seems like that isn’t the case? Has anyone else experienced this?
[close]

Just looking at some of the random assorted Venture trucks I have and some are very much like that, in that it seems like the bottom bushings need to be a few mm taller, but then when stacked up to make the hanger sit nicely, the top bushing would not fit on the truck.

Weird for sure, but I didn't really compare a lot of parts, just some would fit well and others not so well, but as far as I recall, they were all the same size and make too, just from different runs, so something somewhere seems like it has changed.

One set in question had the silver kingpins which was from shortage / covid times, but I don't have the stickers under them to see when they were made.
Probably the pivot cup is slimmed out at the bottom so the new thanger sits different compared to the hanger that wore down with the pivot cup as well

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4955 on: October 18, 2023, 04:22:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are fire...

I may be the odd man out but FFS screen that shit so it's rightside up when wheels down...I get that they do it this way for display cases but ugh,,,

100% agreed, always has made me so annoyed

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4956 on: October 18, 2023, 04:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are fire...

[close]

isn’t this true about all truck graphics?
i agree, should read correct when the complete is wheels on the ground

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4957 on: October 18, 2023, 05:58:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are fire...

[close]

[close]

Not all - indy has a habit of doing them 'correct' all the time (?) - I know they didn't for Gonz' 215s  but out of DLX it seems to be standard (which is why I always go raw or if I have too, steel wool that shit off for a raw hanger).

With vents tho, you can't really bitch about the V and it's placement given the hanger design, screening them the opposite way would look lame.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/collections/independent-skateboard-trucks?offset=24

Found a Venture: (pretty sexy colorway)

Bad ass 3-D Awake
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 06:13:13 PM by Xen »

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #4958 on: October 18, 2023, 07:48:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are fire...

[close]

[close]

[close]

With vents tho, you can't really bitch about the V and it's placement given the hanger design, screening them the opposite way would look lame.

blasphemy. older venture graphic orientation is superior.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #4959 on: October 18, 2023, 09:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are fire...

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

blasphemy. older venture graphic orientation is superior.

They need to be reawaken

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #4960 on: October 19, 2023, 09:01:04 AM »
Is there any true rail chompers out there that ride Ventures? Cory Duffel comes to mind, maybe Yuto, otherwise I wonder why not many rail skaters done ride Ventures?

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4961 on: October 19, 2023, 10:39:55 AM »
Is there any true rail chompers out there that ride Ventures? Cory Duffel comes to mind, maybe Yuto, otherwise I wonder why not many rail skaters done ride Ventures?

Toby Ryan is on venture now. I think he hops on some hefty rails. But ya i dont know many. Same with big transition skaters...

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4962 on: October 19, 2023, 11:44:41 AM »
Chris Joslin did until recently. He blamed not landing the Tre Flip on El Toro on breaking his Venture axles too many times.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4963 on: October 19, 2023, 12:24:29 PM »
Chris Joslin did until recently. He blamed not landing the Tre Flip on El Toro on breaking his Venture axles too many times.

yeah, i saw that. he’s never been someone i looked at as a pleasant style person, but i did like his style on ventures more.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4964 on: October 19, 2023, 04:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, i saw that. he’s never been someone i looked at as a pleasant style person, but i did like his style on ventures more.

He was also thinner/less chunky than he his now...makes you wonder...agree on his style then vs now tho, he's def more indy lazy looking ;)

He left Venture, what 6+ years ago? Not that recent.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 06:30:04 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4965 on: October 19, 2023, 06:42:31 PM »
Given Indy's have way more broken ti axles and cracked hangers I'm going to blame doing a Tre flip down a however many foot drop might have been the culprit.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4966 on: October 19, 2023, 08:04:57 PM »
i think of it as when i look at my trucks before i throw down. Im not caring if people can read my trucks. I guess if i was filming a Thrasher part and i wanted them to like me i might skate a Thrasher Venture for the viewers at home. Def have to be a 6.1 and a big gun with massive wb. Be sick to have a Neck Trasher Venture all flaming and bloody or something. Do wallrides into the street go fast with your hands up and do an ollie.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4967 on: October 19, 2023, 11:31:01 PM »
It's funny, I've been on Ventures for a bit now, and just recently took out a complete with Indys on it for a whirl. Got used to the Indys pretty quickly, although they felt a bit... lazy, if you know what I mean.

BUT when I switched back to my Venture complete, I was like, I can't effin' ollie for SHIT -- took my over half an hour to figure out how to place my feet etc. But after that it felt like home again, snappy and solid. And when I stepped on my Indy complete after the Venture session again just for the feel of it, the Indys felt like shit.

I know, good skaters can skate anything instantly, but for me probably a lesson learned: stick to one set of trucks at a time and don't switch truck brands in between sessions.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4968 on: October 20, 2023, 06:55:35 AM »
I actually think the Venture cast and Indy Standard pop feel is pretty similar especially the nollie pop.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4969 on: October 20, 2023, 07:33:51 AM »
I actually think the Venture cast and Indy Standard pop feel is pretty similar especially the nollie pop.

I actually have the hardest time adjusting to Indy.  The pop just feels too light and really messes with my flip tricks - Indy's probably are my favorite trucks for plain nollies though - they just feel like they float.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4970 on: October 20, 2023, 09:24:44 AM »
I was blessed with boosted ollie power, maybe because flip tricks didn't exist except in freestyle at that point in my skating or (and probably the real culprit: california hydrants are SMALL and all the vids had ollies over them, so for us on the east coast, especially long island, we had big ass thigh high hydrants)...

..anyway, indy ollies I need to do the ollie motion more pronounced: snap, slide, lift the back leg, etc., I really have to think about the timing, proper distance and speed, etc., but with forged ventures (specifically on 8.5 DLX boards 14.25"wb) it's just a CRACK and I'm up, it's a crazy fast pop (with Thunders close behind).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4971 on: October 20, 2023, 10:05:48 AM »
I think the geometry and how the truck turns make a difference, not just height/positioning….. Ollie/nollie on loose aces….you have no leverage, you kinda wash out.  Venture is the opposite…..it simplifies and allows you to pop as hard as you want…..venture hi’s and the pockets of a board work well too…

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4972 on: October 20, 2023, 11:02:18 AM »
I've noticed that with Thunder, and even more so Venture, the wear on the tail and nose is pretty centered. On Indy's, sometimes I pop slightly on the side of the tail, and it shows on the wear. So I def have to run Indy's tighter. But I have also not given them much time.

Theres only one thing to do... Someone needs to measure how much force it takes to lift the nose with different trucks. Will Indy's require most duo to its weight? Or is the wheelbase short enough to make up for it?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4973 on: October 20, 2023, 06:22:37 PM »
couldnt find any red thunder 97a bushings in shops
so im running purple supercush tops with bones hard bottoms
really stable in my 6.1 hollows but will try the thunders when i can

i bet the 100a would work but close to 97a has killed wheelbite
and im not sure i like the idea of blue bushings in ventures
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4974 on: October 21, 2023, 05:22:57 AM »
What wheelbase are y’all rocking with Ventures? I’ve been on 14” but was thinking about trying 14.25 on my next deck.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4975 on: October 21, 2023, 07:56:48 AM »
What wheelbase are y’all rocking with Ventures? I’ve been on 14” but was thinking about trying 14.25 on my next deck.

14" wheelbase I do lows.  14.25 or 14.38 I go high.  I just can't do highs on the 14" wb - makes it feel cramped.  I'm 6'3".

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4976 on: October 21, 2023, 08:33:19 AM »
6'3" and I'm on 14.38 with cast hollows. I tried V lights on this WB as well and it's great for a few flat ground trucks but is a bit weird. The rear takes a while to come up so I have to work to not rocket things.

I honestly adjust to Ollie pop after a few of them. For Ace or Indy forged I quickly remember to put my foot more towards the pocket because it's so light. Indy standard/Venture is slightly more towards the tip, Thunders I seem to not think about or notice one bit.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4977 on: October 21, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »
6'3" and I'm on 14.38 with cast hollows. I tried V lights on this WB as well and it's great for a few flat ground trucks but is a bit weird. The rear takes a while to come up so I have to work to not rocket things.

I honestly adjust to Ollie pop after a few of them. For Ace or Indy forged I quickly remember to put my foot more towards the pocket because it's so light. Indy standard/Venture is slightly more towards the tip, Thunders I seem to not think about or notice one bit.

thunder island indeed.

i don’t notice what i’m doing, when i skate 5.0 lo’s. i just skate. other stuff i can get it to work, and sometimes better, but i’m thinking about it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4978 on: October 21, 2023, 09:20:54 AM »

Depends on the deck length, I swore not to ride wider than 14.25" but if the deck is longer than 32" then I'll do up to 14.38". 14.5" is a no for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4979 on: October 21, 2023, 11:05:17 AM »
5.2 Forged lows on G008 (31.85 & 14.25 i think?)

I care more about shape than wheelbase and atleast Crail decks have been working good with V-lights.