Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364871 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4980 on: October 21, 2023, 11:09:26 AM »
5.2 Forged lows on G008 (31.85 & 14.25 i think?)

I care more about shape than wheelbase and atleast Crail decks have been working good with V-lights.

5.2 lo’s, forged, you are an authentic one for this. i cannot not get wheelbite with those trucks.
somehow i’ve never tried the G08. probably what i should be skating, instead of 7.5s

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #4981 on: October 22, 2023, 01:29:52 AM »
What wheelbase are y’all rocking with Ventures? I’ve been on 14” but was thinking about trying 14.25 on my next deck.

Been on a 8.125" / 32" / 14.25" wb Polar (with 5.6 V-Lights) for a while now, and it's been really good.

Being a newly AWAKEN being, though, I'm interested to try a shorter wb deck, so I just set up a Chocolate 8.25" / 31.875" / 14" wb (G052) deck just to try something different. Haven't tried it yet -- interesting to see how different it's going to feel. I'm 5'9" with longish legs. I hope it's not gonna feel cramped.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4982 on: October 22, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote

I care more about shape than wheelbase and atleast Crail decks have been working good with V-lights.
[close]

5.2 lo’s, forged, you are an authentic one for this. i cannot not get wheelbite with those trucks.
somehow i’ve never tried the G08. probably what i should be skating, instead of 7.5s
I love them. Only skated lo's on Ventures so can't really compare them to hi's.

Anyone here that went from lows to highs and prefer the highs?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4983 on: October 22, 2023, 12:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I love them. Only skated lo's on Ventures so can't really compare them to hi's.

Anyone here that went from lows to highs and prefer the highs?

‘everyone’ seems to have switched over, to hi’s. meaning pros and such.
i cannot remember seeing any lo’s in the wild, in the last 10 years. but i have lived in areas with rough cement, all over, and so it’s a lot of big wheels.

i am constantly trying with the hi’s, but just can’t seem to get the correct mix. with the lo’s, i put them on a board, skate. it works. doesn’t need to be particular.
with the hi’s i’ve only had a few brief moments of them working out. some 5.8s, the bobby ones, i got from @art hellman, loved the ollie/the pop. i just don’t like skating boards above 8 anymore (at this time….). i’ve tried, and will keep trying with the 5.2 hi’s, but the pop feels fucked. rather skate thunders. maybe it’s a deck thing. pretty much any 8, or 775 will work for me with 5.2/5.0 lo’s. with thunders i start to get goldilocks again.
i do need to stress, that despite my preferences, none of this really matters, and no matter what i’m some post middle aged person flailing around, desperately, landing little, going slow, muttering to myself. i don’t want to paint this inaccurate picture that i’m some
finely calibrated skate machine that gets the perfect setup and just rifles off moves.

now there is one caveat to the hi’s….i already feel weird as hell on my tiny boards. and kid’s trucks. but i skated as well as i could have, in the last 10 ish years, on 5.0 hi’s. they looked nuts. the proportions just look like polarizer trucks are something. i’m not saying i was good, but i did land on things that i don’t get often, say a heelflip. i’ll go months without a heelflip, give one a go, maybe yes, probably no, and move one. but with those trucks i’d land that type of thing, and be a little stoked. i can’t remember what happened, i think i just felt too dumb skating that board where others might see me. which is super funny.

annnnnnnywho i’d be stoked to hear what boards people like their hi’s with

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4984 on: October 22, 2023, 12:08:43 PM »
I DM'ed PJ Ladd and he responded that he has gone to V-Light highs from lows and is on mellower decks and likes the combo more.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4985 on: October 22, 2023, 03:22:33 PM »
I DM'ed PJ Ladd and he responded that he has gone to V-Light highs from lows and is on mellower decks and likes the combo more.

this is so sick.
actual information from the source.
👏

southphillytapwater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #4986 on: October 22, 2023, 03:33:06 PM »
I saw someone post on here (not this thread, just in general) that Nick Matthews skates lows. Has that ever been confirmed?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4987 on: October 22, 2023, 04:11:35 PM »
I saw someone post on here (not this thread, just in general) that Nick Matthews skates lows. Has that ever been confirmed?

looked like lo’s in some of the footage but i think maybe someone else said they weren’t? dunno

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4988 on: October 22, 2023, 04:58:04 PM »
up close pic of his trucks from the huf video

looks like a forged baseplate 5.2? don't know ventures enough to tell what the truck is but Im sure someone can

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4989 on: October 22, 2023, 05:15:24 PM »
up close pic of his trucks from the huf video

looks like a forged baseplate 5.2? don't know ventures enough to tell what the truck is but Im sure someone can

Good pic!

Going by where the bolts are sitting, 7/8" with normal nuts are usually flush with cast plates - no bolt sitting up past the nuts the way they do on forged plates, but they definitely look like almost zero clearance which is the look of the low trucks.

Regular low trucks in the 5.2 size would be about the right overall look maybe.

Totally guessing though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #4990 on: October 23, 2023, 07:10:58 AM »
What’s the best hard bushings for Venture? Think I’m finally bout to pull the trigger on these 6.1s.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4991 on: October 23, 2023, 07:34:20 AM »
What’s the best hard bushings for Venture? Think I’m finally bout to pull the trigger on these 6.1s.
supercush are a solid choice, but not as readily available as indy aftermarkets
indy barrel bushings fit besides the top being slightly taller than the stock top

i'm running venture stock bottoms (90A) with Indy tops (92A)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4992 on: October 23, 2023, 10:17:55 AM »

ACE Hard bottoms, ACE hard -low- tops (dreamy) or supercush.

And since we're talking hards...bone hards. The conicals give it just enough give.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4993 on: October 23, 2023, 10:55:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And since we're talking hards...bone hards. The conicals give it just enough give.

haven’t tried the ace hard bushings, but will be hitting @Xen for the correct combo when i finally pull the trigger and get 8” royals. i’m not with that loose trucks shit.

bones hards with ventures have worked well for me, prefer stocks, but part of that is the look of i’m being all the way

Banned from the room

« Reply #4994 on: October 23, 2023, 11:16:02 AM »
I actually think the Venture cast and Indy Standard pop feel is pretty similar especially the nollie pop.

For me in the realm of pop feel it goes

Thunder #1 most explosive pop.

I miss it badly. It was my favorite skatebloarding feeling. I just don't like the shape of the hangar. Back right before the year 00 thunder was at it's best. Thunder is my 3rd favorite truck when all things are considered.

Ventures #2 most explosive pop.

It's like a brand new light switch. Bang sprang loaded pow!

It's definitely closest BANG to the glory of thunder which is like throwing a giant ass light switch in a power plant or something.
TWO FISTED POW!!!

The look of a venture is second to none. I can see Ventures from very far away because of how sexy it makes us look.
My basic bloard control is definitely powered by Ventures/thunders.
Total control always. Nothing beats it

#3 in pop feel is Destructo/ Royal/other thunder bites.

They got the light switch pop a bit.

Also

Krux pop feel is alright. It's better than Indys'

The ultimate sleeper truck is trackers.
The huge (215?) low ones that look a little like Ventures.

One of my favorite humans ever "Jib" he had a set on his on his Scram Bloards. Kids a beast on the bloard too. He's fast af and all style.

Explosive pop feel. And it's the biggest low truck possible.

And

The big ass tracker is better than the Indy 215 in all ways except one.

The pivot angle on the hangar is way too flat. It's like the old 70s/80s style that Indy also re introduced with on stage 5.
It why that big stupid triangle truck sucked shit.

Who ever designed that shit must have been like ok we need to be even more like Tracker or something. Who knows what's the fool was thinking?

Probably couldn't Ollie yet though we all was by then.

My opinion on Indy is stage 4 and stage 11 are good. It's always been my opinion about stage 4 and look what happened. We got them back and tons of people prefer it over the 11.

My favorite Gullwings had that problem too. It was a bummer.

When the pivot is flat like an old school 70s truck it breaks off easily. It makes turning better but it can't hang with gaps and shit

I lost the topic again

I believe the lower the truck and the wider the wheelbase the greater the pop feel.

I'm off to skate
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:22:58 AM by Uncle Flea »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4995 on: October 23, 2023, 11:22:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I actually think the Venture cast and Indy Standard pop feel is pretty similar especially the nollie pop.
[close]

I miss it badly. It was my favorite skatebloarding feeling. I just don't like the shape of the hangar. Back right before the year 00 thunder was at it's best. Thunder is my 3rd favorite truck when all things are considered.

It's definitely closest BANG to the glory of thunder which is like throwing a giant ass light switch in a power plant or something.
TWO FISTED POW!!!

The look of a venture is second to none. I can see Ventures from very far away because of how sexy it makes us look.

There's literally no other way to get this for me.

One of my favorite humans ever "Jib" he had a set on his on his Scram Bloards. Kids a beast on the bloard too. He's fast af and all style.

The pivot angle on the hangar is way too flat. It's like the old 70s/80s style that Indy also used on stage 5.
It why that truck sucked shit.

Who ever designed that shit must have been like ok we need to be even more like Tracker or something. Who knows what's the fool was thinking?

My favorite Gullwings had that problem too.

When the pivot is flat like an old school 70s truck it breaks off easily. It makes turning better but it can't hang with gaps and shit

I love st the topic again

I believe the lower the truck and the wider the wheelbase the greater the pop feel.

if kickflips are totally messing with me, then a quick trip to thunder island is the move. best kickflip for me.

ventures for reasons of nostalgia, aesthetics, and they are not deck specific.
wish i could skate the hi’s. riding 50’s is great, till it isn’t

Banned from the room

« Reply #4996 on: October 23, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TWO FISTED POW!!!

The pivot angle on the hangar is way too flat. It's like the old 70s/80s style that Indy also used on stage 5.

[close]

if kickflips are totally messing with me, then a quick trip to thunder island is the move. best kickflip for me.

I agree. I feel comfortable on the 5.0s until I miss a critical lock and I'm like I need bigger trucks.

I'm almost through with another set of 5.6s. I gotta try 6.1s next.

If I can't score when ready I'm probably going to get Indy 4s in whatever the biggest size is.

Both are definitely on the menu. It's just that I'm dying to try the modern 4. It was my first truck that wasn't like an XR2 or whatever I could assemble from used parts.

I need to remember what it felt like. I hope that I have tons of flashbacks to the greatness of the 80s.

Thank godt I got to experience all that. 88-98 was the greatest shit ever. 2012 to now is pretty sick too.

1990 alone was the best tho.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4997 on: October 23, 2023, 12:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TWO FISTED POW!!!

[close]

[close]

I agree. I feel comfortable on the 5.0s until I miss a critical lock and I'm like I need bigger trucks.

If I can't score when ready I'm probably going to get Indy 4s in whatever the biggest size is.

Both are definitely on the menu. It's just that I'm dying to try the modern 4. It was my first truck that wasn't like an XR2 or whatever I could assemble from used parts.

I need to remember what it felt like. I hope that I have tons of flashbacks to the greatness of the 80s.

Thank godt I got to experience all that. 88-98 was the greatest shit ever. 2012 to now is pretty sick too.

i am currently riding (most often), 7.5s with 5.0 lo’s and 50s, half cabs, for what i think are similar reasons. just trying to feel something positive, and there is a wave of nostalgia looking at the tiny tail/flat concave, staring down whilst setting up is the best part, there’s a flicker it might workout.

those stage 4s look cool as hell. my first indy’s were….1988 ish and i’m going to guess 156s. traded my tracker ultralights and hawk deck, for a street cab with bonite and those trucks.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #4998 on: October 23, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. I run Ace hands in my Indy’s and love ‘em.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #4999 on: October 23, 2023, 01:58:12 PM »
Hello, coming here from a complete place of ignorance.

It seems that my usual online vendors don’t seem to carry 8.5 axle ventures. Is there a reason they seem particularly more difficult to find than say the 5.2’s?
Do you get deja vu, huh?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5000 on: October 23, 2023, 03:19:13 PM »
They sell out fast

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #5001 on: October 23, 2023, 03:41:31 PM »
Do you get deja vu, huh?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5002 on: October 23, 2023, 04:11:48 PM »
no such things as “the best” for bushings
it’s all about feel really. the amount i spent on bushings
fuck

anyways
i run supercush 97a tops with bones 96a bottoms
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Banned from the room

« Reply #5003 on: October 23, 2023, 04:26:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TWO FISTED POW!!!

[close]

[close]

[close]

i am currently riding (most often), 7.5s with 5.0 lo’s and 50s, half cabs, for what i think are similar reasons. just trying to feel something positive, and there is a wave of nostalgia looking at the tiny tail/flat concave, staring down whilst setting up is the best part, there’s a flicker it might workout.

those stage 4s look cool as hell. my first indy’s were….1988 ish and i’m going to guess 156s. traded my tracker ultralights and hawk deck, for a street cab with bonite and those trucks.

Hell yeah. We're lucky to have experienced thos days. The best times.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5004 on: October 23, 2023, 04:50:04 PM »
I'm of the opinion that I would have skated better back then with the gear I have now. Avoiding wheelbite on Venture Lo sucked as did the kingpin clearance especially when your gear was worn. You couldn't ride big wheels unless you had risers and I feel the setups of now are way more conducive to stability and speed. Fuck, looking back at the 13.75-14" WBs an 8" with 14.25 woulda been a big step up for us tall folks.

Banned from the room

« Reply #5005 on: October 23, 2023, 06:00:55 PM »
The most painful change for me was taking a few months off and coming back to see everything was a mini.

It was definitely like starting over.

8.25 is my absolute minimum. I can ride basically any ride any reasonable wb. I prefer ps stix. Idky. It just feels right.

I wanna try flight stuff but I never see it.

8.75- 9 full with a 14.2- 14.25  would be the goal.

6.1s because they don't lego lock in on double sided curbs.

I'm getting back into bowls too.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #5006 on: October 24, 2023, 07:50:36 AM »
Anyone know if they make a light-low in 5.8? I’ve unfortunately gotten used to thunder hollows and everything else feels like concrete boots.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5007 on: October 24, 2023, 08:02:25 AM »
Anyone know if they make a light-low in 5.8? I’ve unfortunately gotten used to thunder hollows and everything else feels like concrete boots.

5.8 V-Light Hi - yes, forged baseplate
5.8 V-Light Lo - no, nothing above 5.6 comes in a Lo
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5008 on: October 24, 2023, 09:12:20 AM »
The most painful change for me was taking a few months off and coming back to see everything was a mini.

It was definitely like starting over.

8.25 is my absolute minimum. I can ride basically any ride any reasonable wb. I prefer ps stix. Idky. It just feels right.

I wanna try flight stuff but I never see it.

8.75- 9 full with a 14.2- 14.25  would be the goal.

6.1s because they don't lego lock in on double sided curbs.

I'm getting back into bowls too.

Happens all the time, everything feels tiny.

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #5009 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:46 AM »
Man I had the worst session today. Tried for the first time a 14" wb deck with 5.6 Hi V-Lights, and my ollie just f*cking disappeared. No joke, I couldn't get the timing right at all the whole session. Terrible. I was terrible, the deck felt terrible. I mean, I've had a lot easier time switching back to Indys from Ventures than going from a 14.25 wb deck to 14.

Short wheelbase + longish tail is poison for me. Switching back to 14.25-14.38 wb.