Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363824 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5010 on: October 24, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
The most painful change for me was taking a few months off and coming back to see everything was a mini.

It was definitely like starting over.

8.25 is my absolute minimum. I can ride basically any ride any reasonable wb. I prefer ps stix. Idky. It just feels right.

I wanna try flight stuff but I never see it.

8.75- 9 full with a 14.2- 14.25  would be the goal.

6.1s because they don't lego lock in on double sided curbs.

I'm getting back into bowls too.
[close]

Happens all the time, everything feels tiny.

I rode 8-8.25 when I first came back to skating in 2018 and thought that was fairly chill. I recently had an 8.1 that I had setup on Venture lo and while I could skate it slowly, it sucked at speed and felt fucking tiny. I stepped on an 8.25 recently and it was less sucky, but still felt small. Honestly at 6 foot 3 my Generator 8.38 feels like the narrowest I'd wanna go and I only have a size 10.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5011 on: October 24, 2023, 12:01:21 PM »
size 10 here, 5’8” short legs.

i mean….7” taller and most likely long legs, seems like it would be beneficial to ride a longer wb.

i’ve been all short wb in the past. my truefit is impossible, so far, to skate. it’s super steep which i despise. rikki saying short wb and long kicks are poison, accurate. short tail is the best for me.

germane to the venture stuff, sorta. dead air pod mentioned something about the 5.8s being the best hi venture, and that the 5.6s were kinda eh. i really like my 5.8s, really don’t like my 5.2 hi’s. i am crazy pills. i just don’t get it. i don’t want to ride big boards. there is no benefit for me, outside of one super specific setup. i’d love to figure out a truck that worked for me with taller wheels (above 52). i used to not care, at all, about wheel size.
not sure why i’m struggling so much with the smaller venture hi’s. my ollie and pop disappeared, instantly. lo’s have the easiest much better ollie for me.

@LebowskisRug unfortunately you are correct, the smaller boards i just ordered a ton of, are hard as heck to skate at even a semi reasonable speed. totally sucks. skating slow is already an issue for me.

my takeaway, is that i’m just bad at skating. gear ain’t gonna fix this mess. god made junk.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5012 on: October 24, 2023, 05:56:13 PM »
Hello, coming here from a complete place of ignorance.

It seems that my usual online vendors don’t seem to carry 8.5 axle ventures. Is there a reason they seem particularly more difficult to find than say the 5.2’s?

There are plenty if you go for smaller online shops that ship, I can still find 5.6 TI out in the wild ;)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5013 on: October 25, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »

i mean….7” taller and most likely long legs, seems like it would be beneficial to ride a longer wb.

i’ve been all short wb in the past. my truefit is impossible, so far, to skate. it’s super steep which i despise. rikki saying short wb and long kicks are poison, accurate. short tail is the best for me.

germane to the venture stuff, sorta. dead air pod mentioned something about the 5.8s being the best hi venture, and that the 5.6s were kinda eh. i really like my 5.8s, really don’t like my 5.2 hi’s. i am crazy pills. i just don’t get it. i don’t want to ride big boards. there is no benefit for me, outside of one super specific setup. i’d love to figure out a truck that worked for me with taller wheels (above 52). i used to not care, at all, about wheel size.
not sure why i’m struggling so much with the smaller venture hi’s. my ollie and pop disappeared, instantly. lo’s have the easiest much better ollie for me.

@LebowskisRug unfortunately you are correct, the smaller boards i just ordered a ton of, are hard as heck to skate at even a semi reasonable speed. totally sucks. skating slow is already an issue for me.

my takeaway, is that i’m just bad at skating. gear ain’t gonna fix this mess. god made junk.
currently on 5.6's and i honestly didn't find them that much different from 5.2's in terms of pop and turn. my personal experience is that I can kinda run the 5.6's looser than the 5.2's, but still maintain that venture stability. flips tricks were basically the same. i ride either hanger sizes typically with cast plates on 8.0 boards with 52-54mm wheels

since you seem to skate better on the lows but are wanting to skate bigger wheels; have you tried the 5.2's on forged plates?

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5014 on: October 25, 2023, 09:46:20 AM »
I DM'ed PJ Ladd and he responded that he has gone to V-Light highs from lows and is on mellower decks and likes the combo more.

no wonder he was on v lo with risers sometimes, makes me want to change my setup, v lo can't pop high enough on flat ground

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5015 on: October 25, 2023, 10:03:57 AM »
westgate?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Paperclip20

• Rep: 137
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #5016 on: October 25, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5017 on: October 25, 2023, 10:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
currently on 5.6's and i honestly didn't find them that much different from 5.2's in terms of pop and turn. my personal experience is that I can kinda run the 5.6's looser than the 5.2's, but still maintain that venture stability. flips tricks were basically the same. i ride either hanger sizes typically with cast plates on 8.0 boards with 52-54mm wheels

since you seem to skate better on the lows but are wanting to skate bigger wheels; have you tried the 5.2's on forged plates?

thanks for the recommendations!
yeah, trying forged plates now. admittedly maybe not on the best decks, but yeah. pop is not going too well. is what it is i suppose

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5018 on: October 25, 2023, 10:38:57 AM »
Expand Quote
westgate
[close]

i think @LebowskisRug mentioned he switched to hi’s. it was like him, gustavo, pj, youness, jb….on the lows. i think gustavo switched as well

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5019 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:18 AM »
Expand Quote

i think @LebowskisRug mentioned he switched to hi’s. it was like him, gustavo, pj, youness, jb….on the lows. i think gustavo switched as well
theres boatloads of old footage of high pop with lo’s
regardless of who is skating them now
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5020 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:25 AM »
I read that Yuto is on 5.2l & 51mm Classics.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5021 on: October 25, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
theres boatloads of old footage of high pop with lo’s
regardless of who is skating them now

yes! westgate obviously. and others for certain. a certain switch flip, etc.

yeah yuto is holding it down.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5022 on: October 25, 2023, 02:28:38 PM »
A low truck for smaller people is fine and proportionate. We are not talking about large individuals. Yuto, Westgate, and even Nick Matthews are all quite short.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5023 on: October 25, 2023, 07:54:32 PM »
Got my 5.0l in. :) So cute, lil baby trucks. Going to setup a 7.75. Even if I skate terrible on it, I am excited for the look-down nostalgia factor.

Been skating 5.2h on forged plates with 53s though, so switching to the lows again might be too harsh of an adjustment..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 01:06:04 AM by hiljentaa »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5024 on: October 25, 2023, 08:57:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The most painful change for me was taking a few months off and coming back to see everything was a mini.

It was definitely like starting over.

8.25 is my absolute minimum. I can ride basically any ride any reasonable wb. I prefer ps stix. Idky. It just feels right.

I wanna try flight stuff but I never see it.

8.75- 9 full with a 14.2- 14.25  would be the goal.

6.1s because they don't lego lock in on double sided curbs.

I'm getting back into bowls too.
[close]

Happens all the time, everything feels tiny.
[close]

I rode 8-8.25 when I first came back to skating in 2018 and thought that was fairly chill. I recently had an 8.1 that I had setup on Venture lo and while I could skate it slowly, it sucked at speed and felt fucking tiny. I stepped on an 8.25 recently and it was less sucky, but still felt small. Honestly at 6 foot 3 my Generator 8.38 feels like the narrowest I'd wanna go and I only have a size 10.

I like 825s with a big square nose. That makes up for a little lost real estate from my recent slim down.

Before I jumped to 8.8 with 5.8s I was on like 8 Pop Master m1s at 8.25. Those are very tapered andThe rail was really straight. Tre fliped nice imps too.

The 14 in wb was sometimes dangerous in the big bowl. Get too front seat and you start sliding out like speed wobbles but kinda nose Manny.

It's frightening. Especially when you're carving the flat to get a second wall in the "deep" end. Sub 12 I think . Idk what the clover in town is. And I've ended up on my back slamming my head on the wall  because my board tried to auto nose piv revert when I was about to really pump the next wall and try to smash the lip for a one wheel kick turn.

I miss that shit. The town of Salem and grind line fuckin didn't communicate well or something. The sight is sinking into a swamp.

It's definitely like non skaters design the park part. And John Cardiel 's Uber hillbilly cousin was like designer. They was like nah. Metal coping on these tight crazy transitions is fine.
Steel last longer.

But yeah I got wheels on the way. I'm going to really eat good and work on my nollie vs. I wanna flat gap with the trick. Nollie backside flip casual.

In vert

I wanna air and FS Ollie one more time in my life. But it's going to take like a bowl like supreme bowl. That is my kind of shit.

Do they let people mob the ramp? It's probably invite only.
According to Rowan my style is busted Andi should rock monster gear because that's actually what I really am.

I've never had a sip tho.

That bummed me out. He is a bat head tho. I tried to be a ball player but they hated skatebloarding. So I had to choose. I could be a looser fag and ride the bloard (my higher power) break my hand or my neck or I can get serious and help turn this team around. They all had high hopes that I would be a big player after my balls dropped but I just was distracted by cigs and skating.

So one day after I got my first like front wheels almost on the ground boned Ollie one foot on my horrendous board practicing my gay art waiting to get picked up from practice. I told my dad I wanted to quit to chase the dream.

He went insane. Then didn't speak with me outside of growling at me when he saw my face for the entire summer.b

I had been skating 6 tears at that age and world just happened. I was in step with all the trends up till switch.

Why would I want to look like that? No one did it good till the sub zero really.

I been working on it to this day.

Punk rockers taught me that the people who went to Fenway was the ultimate opposition besides nazis.

I'm still a godt in the outfield. Like Rob Schneider in that movie manimal or whatever. Just gimme a Kool and a corona with a line and maybe a little bit of l.

And a couple more kools for the field and we're going to win 10000000.

It just can you deal with the inferiority complex baseball man? Watching me walk sideways into your cream team and just be captain day one with style?

Idk kid. Idk

I can't wait till my wheels get here!!!!

58s I think classic formula. Brand New with a cool black graphic. I'm going to split a 4x4 and make a lil triangle to make getting to the top of barriers easier. I'm going to ally poop piv fakie on it.

Could be wishful thiywith out a mud patch
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5025 on: October 26, 2023, 07:28:43 AM »

I like 825s with a big square nose. That makes up for a little lost real estate from my recent slim down.

yep!  whenever I size down to 8.25, I go with a Quasi Proto for this reason.  Also, the Mike Anderson Krooked (8.38) (his shape?) with the big suare nose is perfect.  I have secretly (now not so secret) set up full other complete that is a Mike Anderson 8.38 with 5.6 venture v-cast and SF F4 53mm conical fulls. it's kinda perfect. 

hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5026 on: October 26, 2023, 08:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yep!  whenever I size down to 8.25, I go with a Quasi Proto for this reason.  Also, the Mike Anderson Krooked (8.38) (his shape?) with the big suare nose is perfect.  I have secretly (now not so secret) set up full other complete that is a Mike Anderson 8.38 with 5.6 venture v-cast and SF F4 53mm conical fulls. it's kinda perfect.

i’ve had that glue board, that i think is the same as the proto, and it’s been really great. the shape, depth of concave, angle of nose and tail….just all of it.
if i may be so bold: which trucks do you use on the proto? indy 149s?
i rode mine with thunder 148s, pretty tucked in, in the front, and ace 55 classics. probably skated better on the ace setup, some of my favorite kickflips, but trucks were too heavy for my dainty ass and i’d either get sore quickly and/or never ever treflip.
so you prefer the 5.6s to the 5.8s?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5027 on: October 26, 2023, 08:18:51 AM »
Is cast much different than forged? Near shops only have cast lows and never skated those. They do carry highs forged but i'm not sure i'm ready to move on from lows.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5028 on: October 26, 2023, 08:27:41 AM »
Is cast much different than forged? Near shops only have cast lows and never skated those. They do carry highs forged but i'm not sure i'm ready to move on from lows.

i prefer cast lo’s.
they are different. with 5.2 especially, the forged lo’s are wheel bitey, which is manageable, but i like the pop
and weight of the cast more.
you could always try the cast, and if hate, switch in some old forged baseplates.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5029 on: October 26, 2023, 09:09:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i’ve had that glue board, that i think is the same as the proto, and it’s been really great. the shape, depth of concave, angle of nose and tail….just all of it.
i rode mine with thunder 148s, pretty tucked in, in the front, and ace 55 classics. probably skated better on the ace setup, some of my favorite kickflips, but trucks were too heavy for my dainty ass and i’d either get sore quickly and/or never ever treflip.

I find that the 5.6 cast hollows match that shape perfectly (if you are still talking about the 8.25).  Probably the best setup I have used in that size.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5030 on: October 26, 2023, 09:16:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I find that the 5.6 cast hollows match that shape perfectly (if you are still talking about the 8.25).  Probably the best setup I have used in that size.

@ok thanks for pointing out my error... I've set it up (the Manderson Krooked) with 5.8 (8.5) Venture v-cast (the ted barrow ones). 

@Thebird I've always skated the Proto (8.25 and the 8.5) with Indy 149s (ti with cast plates).  When 8.25 was my go-to for years I'd always skate 149s
hardly art, hardly starving

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5031 on: October 26, 2023, 09:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@ok thanks for pointing out my error... I've set it up (the Manderson Krooked) with 5.8 (8.5) Venture v-cast (the ted barrow ones). 

@Thebird I've always skated the Proto (8.25 and the 8.5) with Indy 149s (ti with cast plates).  When 8.25 was my go-to for years I'd always skate 149s

5.8s might be better than 5.6s. this is when i go full batshit, but i’ve felt like 159s are the best indys (to be fair, my 149s were riiiiight when stage 11s came out, koston hollows, some said they were more like stage stage 10.5s, never felt rad).

now i’m thinking i may have only had the 8.5 proto shape, that tapered to something like 8.25 at the back. the 8.25 might have been the better move for me.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #5032 on: October 26, 2023, 12:39:22 PM »
I’m on some 5.8s right now, and after a year plus of slappies and curb skating, two broken kingpins, and some slightly bent but still skateable axles, I’ve finally hit axle on my back truck. First truck I’ve ever hit axle on, feels good. It’s barely just poking through right now but I plan to keep skating them and seeing how far I can get before they’re not skateable anymore.
Was on Indy’s for years before making the move to venture but I don’t see myself going back, they’re just the perfect truck for me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5033 on: October 26, 2023, 03:39:56 PM »
I’m on some 5.8s right now, and after a year plus of slappies and curb skating, two broken kingpins, and some slightly bent but still skateable axles, I’ve finally hit axle on my back truck. First truck I’ve ever hit axle on, feels good. It’s barely just poking through right now but I plan to keep skating them and seeing how far I can get before they’re not skateable anymore.
Was on Indy’s for years before making the move to venture but I don’t see myself going back, they’re just the perfect truck for me.

What are you riding in the way of the whole setup? Or at the very least, what board, wb, etc?

I had a quick look back through history and didn't see anything besides the stats post, 53-54mm wheels.

Always curious as to what people find works for them in that regard with the 5.8 Ventures.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5034 on: October 26, 2023, 04:14:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What are you riding in the way of the whole setup? Or at the very least, what board, wb, etc?

I had a quick look back through history and didn't see anything besides the stats post, 53-54mm wheels.

Always curious as to what people find works for them in that regard with the 5.8 Ventures.

i should have held onto my 5.8s, maybe. i tend to want to ride bigger boards, try and make it work, and then feel like nah, i’ll just go back to what i learned on most tricks on: 7.5-7.75. skate that stuff for a month, get self conscious with how small, slow, and not current that is, and fire up the desire for a bigger setup.
and then you lucky ducks get to read my gibberish.

anyways, i rode 5.8s on a few different boards, the black widow shape, and a really old bbs 8.125 that has a 14.125 wb. i’m not sure why i stopped riding it on the 8.125 tbh. the ollie was so nice.
not a great answer on my part.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #5035 on: October 26, 2023, 06:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like 5.8s on an 8.5W x 31.75 to 32L x 14.25WB board is the sweet spot for me. Tried a friends board who skates damn near the same specs as me but he has 5.6s on and they just didn’t feel as comfy to me as the 5.8s.
I alternate between 53 and 54mm wheels, usually spit F4 99A. Classics are my go to but I’ve been experimenting with their different shapes recently.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5036 on: October 26, 2023, 08:44:16 PM »
This habitat Gall board is perfect for 5.6s Probably even better with 5.2s

It's got a 14" wb and it's 32" long. Outstanding combo.

I never miss a kickflip. Lots of them are ugly but it flips straight and true. I rip um out the air and smack it on the ground like a domino.

It's good to be riding my old spits. I missed the rumble. Cracks are a bitch but whatever.
Most things are working on it. I'm trying new shit. This is good. I'm too set in my ways.

I was doing fakie v today. I'm trying to get nollie v tho.

I did the fakie ones as an example to my broken ass brain. Tried to mirror it. My feet said different. It's like do a different trick bitch.

I can't get both feet on.

When I compensate with my weight they start flipping 90 and rocket or I miss the flick and do a dope one footer nollie front shuv.

It's the bane of my existence. I did just learn to really do nollie FS shit.

I think if I was on a smaller truck with this particular board it'd be a wrap tomorrow.

I need a euro gap or pyramid or whatever. Get the timing right. Fuck an a frame. Waste of skate park space. Should be a spine. That shit is basically flat ground.
(A)pl(E)

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #5037 on: October 26, 2023, 10:07:11 PM »
Ive been having the madness alot lately and through my 5.8s back on my board, but now i skate 8.25 decks...i also ride the conical full wheels so the wheels stuck out enough for me to see them clearly looking straight down and even the whole wheels while turning. I think i may get some 5.6s just so i can get a sharper turn with the wheels more aligned/inside the deck a little more. I used to ride 8.5 decks when i was riding the 5.8s. Anyways, the first session back on them was really nice. Got alot of ledge tricks back that i lost and learned 3 new ledge tricks on them. Something about the stability of them gave me more confidence to try some new ledge tricks. What size ventures do most of yall ride with 8.25 decks? Assuming the 5.6s?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5038 on: October 26, 2023, 10:32:23 PM »
Ive been having the madness alot lately and through my 5.8s back on my board, but now i skate 8.25 decks...i also ride the conical full wheels so the wheels stuck out enough for me to see them clearly looking straight down and even the whole wheels while turning. I think i may get some 5.6s just so i can get a sharper turn with the wheels more aligned/inside the deck a little more. I used to ride 8.5 decks when i was riding the 5.8s. Anyways, the first session back on them was really nice. Got alot of ledge tricks back that i lost and learned 3 new ledge tricks on them. Something about the stability of them gave me more confidence to try some new ledge tricks. What size ventures do most of yall ride with 8.25 decks? Assuming the 5.6s?

Yeah. I never have 5.2s

I'm going back up soon anyway
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5039 on: October 26, 2023, 10:53:53 PM »

That is the most common size now, but if you want to see approximately what it looks like, just take off all the inside washers and put your wheels on right at the axles.  You don't have to skate it like that, but that is almost the same look as the 5.6 with two or three washers on the inside, compared to the 5.8 or at least it is only 5 mm difference in overall width of axle between the two.

I know some people used to do before the 8.25 trucks came out, riding the 149s / 5.8 width trucks on their 8.25 size boards with no washers on the inside or at all.  Some people would even file, grind or otherwise machine the axle ends down so they could run them with no washers at all and they often had them fit fairly well on 8.25 boards, but it is not something I would really do now, especially when you can get 5.6 sized hangers to fit more evenly.

What size Conical Full wheels are you on?  The smaller ones up to about 54mm are not too wide, but 55 or definitely 56mm and up become a lot wider.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.