Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363843 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5280 on: December 31, 2023, 01:06:11 AM »
Anyone ride 8.5 on both 5.8 and 6.1 have any thoughts? Main concern is it would make flatground and flip ins weird, idk
i did at some point with the quasi proto 8.5
learned significantly more tricks with 6.1 hollows
better stability, lock in, and they just inspire more confidence
kinda ditched the 5.8s after that. 2nd best aint bad at all

simply put, its my favorite truck

never really practiced flip in grinds or slides
but also have never been this confident with my setup
honestly might spend the next session on kf front board

didnt lose any flatground sizing up to 6.1s
and that was in the middle of switching between 8.5 - 9+
with my best skating happening on a 9.0

if you got the trick on 5.8w/ same shape, it should carry over
just invest in hollow axles
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5281 on: December 31, 2023, 05:45:29 AM »
currently skating an 8.38 on 6.1s, just the regular cast ones. not sure why, but the setup works a treat, and i’m a proponent of skating small boards….cant call it.
the 6.1s inspire confidence

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #5282 on: December 31, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »
currently skating an 8.38 on 6.1s, just the regular cast ones. not sure why, but the setup works a treat, and i’m a proponent of skating small boards….cant call it.
the 6.1s inspire confidence

here i was thinking i would go into 2024 without any madness

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5283 on: December 31, 2023, 08:36:45 AM »
Damn I was hoping i'd be dissuaded from experimenting lol

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5284 on: December 31, 2023, 09:03:14 AM »
just preaching the gospel
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5285 on: December 31, 2023, 01:01:08 PM »
i cannot figure out why i like the 6.1s as much as i do.
previously i struggled with cast venture hi’s. i liked my 5.8s that i got from @art hellman, those were good. i think i started riding smaller boards and then passed those along to a pal who wanted some.
venture hi’s with the forged baseplate have worked better for me, up until this bout with the 6.1s. i’m not sure what it is with the 6.1s, @munchbox mentioned the geo being slightly pulled in, maybe that’s it.
here’s the slightly unnecessary details:

5’8”, really short legs, 10-11 shoe. usually skate in 10s.
i like to skate different setups, that’s basically been too much of my interface with skating for the last 10 years, just experimenting.
most recently i’d been skating smaller sized setups, most of which had in common a 52 mm wheel. frequently around 8+ ish decks.
i set this board up in a funk and it was one of those where the moment i hopped on i felt rowdy/confident. i don’t land everything, some of the flips take more effort, some stuff like switch flips are as easy as it gets for me.
the wider trucks give me a really stable base to pop
off. i’m using 54 classics, and they keep the board feeling light and crispy compared to the radial fulls and such i had been trying before.
the 6.1s pinch well, i struggle with pinch stuff. but really its the pop and confidence for me.

kinda funny, i’ve been noticing sizes shrink back towards 8, and i’ve been waiting for that, and now im out here hot rodding around on 8.75s like it’s 2015.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5286 on: December 31, 2023, 04:45:40 PM »
Super happy on 5.8 cast hollows but all this 6.1 shorter wb talk really has me curious.

Anyone ride 8.5 on both 5.8 and 6.1 have any thoughts? Main concern is it would make flatground and flip ins weird, idk

its pretty much the same. 6.1 is a tad bit turnier.

im def a 5.8 person i because of the double sided curb thing. otherwise i like the 6.1 better. its not ventures faullt the town wnt with baby curbs
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5287 on: December 31, 2023, 04:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Super happy on 5.8 cast hollows but all this 6.1 shorter wb talk really has me curious.

[close]

im def a 5.8 person i because of the double sided curb thing. otherwise i like the 6.1 better. its not ventures faullt the town wnt with baby curbs

Opposite here, the good double sided curb here in Santa Monica (beach curbs) needs an 8.75 to ride whatever the fuck wheel width); you can get away with a 5.8/8.5" truck but only with tablets or v3s and you gotta be (too) precise.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5288 on: December 31, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Opposite here, the good double sided curb here in Santa Monica (beach curbs) needs an 8.75 to ride whatever the fuck wheel width); you can get away with a 5.8/8.5" truck but only with tablets or v3s and you gotta be (too) precise.

I like having wheels on top.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5289 on: December 31, 2023, 08:06:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On top of the double? Yeah, they keep you rolling, but there's something about just being locked on, truck only for grinds.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5290 on: December 31, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

On top of the double? Yeah, they keep you rolling, but there's something about just being locked on, truck only for grinds.

Youd love an element flatbar

Shalom Peterson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #5291 on: January 01, 2024, 09:40:46 PM »
Eight months in. The axle definitely grinds way slower than the other metals lol. I can’t wait to start grinding thru that sticker.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #5292 on: January 03, 2024, 03:48:50 PM »

I'm not convinced that the wheelbase on the 6.1s is shorter like people are saying, I just double checked mine, averaged across 3 different tape measures and both sides of the axles and triple checked the decks wheelbase in case it wasn't as stated, and 3.248" is the number I kept landing on.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5293 on: January 03, 2024, 04:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not convinced that the wheelbase on the 6.1s is shorter like people are saying, I just double checked mine, averaged across 3 different tape measures and both sides of the axles and triple checked the decks wheelbase in case it wasn't as stated, and 3.248" is the number I kept landing on.
cast 6.1s are shorter than hollows 6.1s
is that what you were comparing?
ive owned enough sets to say that confidently

Kaydubbb

« Reply #5294 on: January 03, 2024, 04:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
cast 6.1s are shorter than hollows

I'm measuring standard cast 6.1s, the wheelbase thread has them at 3.125".

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5295 on: January 03, 2024, 04:54:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

i dont have any cast plates but i can measure my forged later

maybe someone else with cast plates can back you up

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5296 on: January 03, 2024, 08:59:37 PM »
Didn't realize they weren't that far off from the stocks.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #5297 on: January 03, 2024, 10:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i dont have any cast plates but i can measure my forged later

maybe someone else with cast plates can back you up

Hopefully, my understanding was the forged plates generally lengthen the wheelbase compared to their cast counterparts. With the wheelbase thread listing 6.1 cast as 3.125" and I'm getting essentially 2.5", I'm interested to see what someone else might get.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #5298 on: January 04, 2024, 02:34:03 AM »

I found it was about two threads difference all up, so when I tightened them down so I had two threads showing, they felt like the usual stock bushings with the kingpin nut flush.

From this, I could either loosen them off some to make them easier for very small light weight bodies - kids or adults alike - or put them on boards that had the truck grinded down a long way, kingpin usually also worn down some, so they could still skate well and not have the nut getting smashed or unable to tighten them down enough.

Both options were pretty decent and worked well for anyone who either needed softer bushings or more turn, or had very well worn trucks.

Sorry I probably already said that before too, but for people who buy them and set them up so the kingpin nut is flush and then say they are too loose, I agree with you as they are crazy like that, but those bushings sure do work well when down a bit lower, especially on  other brand trucks that do need a bit more clearance right from go (no truck brand names to mention) or some I even take a bit off the kingpin, as I did on some old low versions of certain trucks and they skated much better after that.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5299 on: January 05, 2024, 12:45:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I found it was about two threads difference all up, so when I tightened them down so I had two threads showing, they felt like the usual stock bushings with the kingpin nut flush.

From this, I could either loosen them off some to make them easier for very small light weight bodies - kids or adults alike - or put them on boards that had the truck grinded down a long way, kingpin usually also worn down some, so they could still skate well and not have the nut getting smashed or unable to tighten them down enough.

Both options were pretty decent and worked well for anyone who either needed softer bushings or more turn, or had very well worn trucks.

Sorry I probably already said that before too, but for people who buy them and set them up so the kingpin nut is flush and then say they are too loose, I agree with you as they are crazy like that, but those bushings sure do work well when down a bit lower, especially on  other brand trucks that do need a bit more clearance right from go (no truck brand names to mention) or some I even take a bit off the kingpin, as I did on some old low versions of certain trucks and they skated much better after that.

Yea, you can't go nut flush with a low top...anyone trying to do that doesn't understand how trucks/bushings are supposed to work (it's like cranking down a soft bushing, we see you Bam, instead of swapping out for a harder (or softer) duro depending on weight...with the proper duro for your weight you can usually stay nut flush and get your desired feel.

Usually, I use(d) ACE (or the NFG, RIP) low tops in my ventures - it does work wonders...these days I'm trying to skate a but tighter so I just stay stock with a flat washer.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5300 on: January 13, 2024, 02:36:36 PM »
Ishod skating Ventures on his story.  No idea how to link or embed a story

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5301 on: January 13, 2024, 03:01:35 PM »

I guess it is all DLX, so maybe he broke some and couldn't get Thunders, so riding Venture is still ok.

Maybe easier to screen shot like this:

*** Actually just joking to someone else about him trying the Ventures with the Koston baseplate hole change and when I zooned in I could see he was doing that.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:13:20 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5302 on: January 13, 2024, 03:02:41 PM »

A bit hard to get a good pic, but yes you can clearly see they are Ventures.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5303 on: January 13, 2024, 04:28:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I guess it is all DLX, so maybe he broke some and couldn't get Thunders, so riding Venture is still ok.

*** Actually just joking to someone else about him trying the Ventures with the Koston baseplate hole change and when I zooned in I could see he was doing that.

He [usually] rides the 14.4 WB + Thunders...riding ventures, double drilled, pulls them into thunder WB territory? Is that the logic?

I'd bet good money that a double drilled venture would sell really well provided they were durable.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 04:44:55 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5304 on: January 13, 2024, 05:53:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He [usually] rides the 14.4 WB + Thunders...riding ventures, double drilled, pulls them into thunder WB territory? Is that the logic?

I'd bet good money that a double drilled venture would sell really well provided they were durable.

i’d buy some

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5305 on: January 13, 2024, 06:04:29 PM »

They made alterations I think. Before the package said 1mm.

This could be good because it's less non biodegradables. Less money to produce.
If they could pull this off across the bloard it'd be good for both bland and planet.

And me. I like green short tops.

Tight trucks people will get 2 more threads tops. It'll still be similar.
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5306 on: January 13, 2024, 07:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

anybody want to take a guess on where the new holes are, in relation to the old holes? can’t be that hard to diy, right?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5307 on: January 13, 2024, 10:37:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

anybody want to take a guess on where the new holes are, in relation to the old holes? can’t be that hard to diy, right?

From the old six hole Venture baseplates I tried on a board in the other holes, which worked really well on a steeper 8.38 with 14.5 wb board, they were 3/8" difference to the new hole pattern.

Whether these are drilled the same or even just a 1/4" from the old holes, which would still work, that would bring in the wheelbase 1/2" or more, which would make most usually longer wb boards on any other trucks feel even more turny and shorter on Ventures.

Way shorter wb than on Thunders with their normal drilled baseplates when lined up with the same board with Thunders too, even with Ishod's custom trucks, with the two top bushings on each truck as he used to run on his setups, to bring in the wb on Thunders - not sure if Ishod still did this, but that was his go to as per his board setup from the Nine Club video a while back.

Curious to see / hear more any which way.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5308 on: January 14, 2024, 06:07:41 AM »
Strange for ishod because he released a video for thunder trucks not so long ago.. (about a week if i remember)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5309 on: January 14, 2024, 03:58:42 PM »
Strange for ishod because he released a video for thunder trucks not so long ago.. (about a week if i remember)

But Thunder and Venture trucks are both out of Deluxe Distribution in SF so if it was a case of "We need some people to test these Venture baseplate options" then I am thinking he would be a very good candidate for the job.

It is all in house, so no issue with him trying them, or even riding them more than a bit anyway, compared to a rival company with someone else riding Indy or Ace who are through other distros.

Honestly though, that redrilling of the baseplate could be the game changer for Venture, so I wonder if they might actually bring some out more with the mid baseplate hole options, like Thunder, more so than very offset to the inside, which then pushes the truck out the furtherest of all truck brands (or main ones anyway).

Sure there might be some push back from some skater, but the option to ride a whole lot more "normal" or longer boards / wheelbases might open up their interest a lot more too.

They were really a whole lot better for me when I tried some old six hole baseplates, just having the end bolts through the last two holes and having a bit of a skate like that.

From December 2022: