Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797898 times)

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2340 on: December 14, 2019, 09:29:10 AM »
Expand Quote
↑ I ended up pulling the trigger on some 56 conical loopholes, the shop I bought them from described them as around the same hardness as 99 F4s so we’ll see ... I just got my winter bonus so if I hate them I can just pick up some F4s instead.
[close]

I'm very interested in hearing how those are. If you can post an in depth review of them comparing them to F4s I'd really appreciate it.

I'm interested in hearing about any wheel with a formula that compares to F4, if only to have more options when looking for new wheels.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #2341 on: December 14, 2019, 11:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I’m gunna set up a EE3-era inspired board and kinda don’t want to put F4s on it, should I get get some sml v-cuts or some loopholes (or maybe even dial tones?). Are loopholes all super rock hard? I’m looking at the 56mm ones but they are listed as 103??? I’d prefer 99a in general. I had some waywards in 101 a while back though and they didn’t seem too tooth rattling (unlike something like prize fighter). Anyway, looking for something “indie” that’s 54 - 56 with a wider cut to give it that chunky wheel look
[close]

Not an indie brand like you were asking for, but I got some 60mm 99a Spitfire OG classics a while back that fit what you are talking about. They have them in 54 and 56 too iirc. Square, chunky, still perform nicely
[close]
yeah, I'm honestly contemplating some standard conical F4s too, but OG classics in 56 would probably be more era specific.
loophole are 103 hardness which seems ridics, found some dial tone conicals too but can't find them over 53mm. Wayward v-cuts are  my other option. I've skate wayward before so I know what to expect of them. I mean they're not F4s but they're not the worst wheels you could skate... will put OG classic on my short list too!
[close]

I had the same problem with the Loophole samples I got. Too hard for me to ride. If they made a 99a I would be all over those. Same issue with the Dialtones for me too. I ride some of their 53’s on my smaller set up, but I just like F4’s so much better so I have a hard time sticking with those and for my bigger set up I ride 55-61 so no luck there. I haven’t tried Wayward’s, but if they make wide shapes I might give them a shot!

It’s hard to ride anything besides F4’s in their standard shapes and the classic OG’s formula/shape combo seems like it’s still as good if not better for me than most of the formulas from Indie companies I’ve tried. Plus, like you said, they do seem like what I remember people riding back then. They look and feel the part well iirc

I’d recommend 58mm Spitfire classics on a 8” deck, Indy or thunder with risers.
I had some 62mm First division wheels.
Spitfire still makes 63mm, would go nice on a 7.75” and some destructo’s

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #2342 on: December 15, 2019, 12:45:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I’m gunna set up a EE3-era inspired board and kinda don’t want to put F4s on it, should I get get some sml v-cuts or some loopholes (or maybe even dial tones?). Are loopholes all super rock hard? I’m looking at the 56mm ones but they are listed as 103??? I’d prefer 99a in general. I had some waywards in 101 a while back though and they didn’t seem too tooth rattling (unlike something like prize fighter). Anyway, looking for something “indie” that’s 54 - 56 with a wider cut to give it that chunky wheel look
[close]

Not an indie brand like you were asking for, but I got some 60mm 99a Spitfire OG classics a while back that fit what you are talking about. They have them in 54 and 56 too iirc. Square, chunky, still perform nicely
[close]
yeah, I'm honestly contemplating some standard conical F4s too, but OG classics in 56 would probably be more era specific.
loophole are 103 hardness which seems ridics, found some dial tone conicals too but can't find them over 53mm. Wayward v-cuts are  my other option. I've skate wayward before so I know what to expect of them. I mean they're not F4s but they're not the worst wheels you could skate... will put OG classic on my short list too!
[close]

I had the same problem with the Loophole samples I got. Too hard for me to ride. If they made a 99a I would be all over those. Same issue with the Dialtones for me too. I ride some of their 53’s on my smaller set up, but I just like F4’s so much better so I have a hard time sticking with those and for my bigger set up I ride 55-61 so no luck there. I haven’t tried Wayward’s, but if they make wide shapes I might give them a shot!

It’s hard to ride anything besides F4’s in their standard shapes and the classic OG’s formula/shape combo seems like it’s still as good if not better for me than most of the formulas from Indie companies I’ve tried. Plus, like you said, they do seem like what I remember people riding back then. They look and feel the part well iirc
[close]

I’d recommend 58mm Spitfire classics on a 8” deck, Indy or thunder with risers.
I had some 62mm First division wheels.
Spitfire still makes 63mm, would go nice on a 7.75” and some destructo’s

I'd personally go with 72 mm wheels on that first setup but to each his own.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2343 on: December 17, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Walked around 4km both ways to find a skateshop in Australia

Arrow 52mm 83a wheels, Australian brand for $25, Spitfires were going for around twice the price.
19mm wide with a "Straight Shot Cut", which should resemble a Spitfire Radial / Radial Slim but just 1mm wider , which I was looking to try. Don't have a tape measure handy, can't wait to try them this weekend.

I've been staring at the Spitfire wheel shape page all day and can't tell if they more closely resemble a conical or radial (or slim). Anyone help me out?

https://www.basementskate.com.au/arrow-shiva-52mm-83b-skateboard-wheels/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2344 on: December 17, 2019, 01:45:36 PM »
Looks like Radial (or V4) to me.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2345 on: December 17, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Looks like Radial (or V4) to me.

Thanks man! I was contemplating heading back to return them if I couldn't confirm they were radials.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2346 on: December 17, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »

Arrow 52mm 83a wheels, Australian brand for $25, Spitfires were going for around twice the price.
19mm wide with a "Straight Shot Cut", which should resemble a Spitfire Radial / Radial Slim but just 1mm wider , which I was looking to try. Don't have a tape measure handy, can't wait to try them this weekend.

I've been staring at the Spitfire wheel shape page all day and can't tell if they more closely resemble a conical or radial (or slim). Anyone help me out?

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

Dimensions remind me of Radials but the cut looks like a Conical/Conical Full. Either would feel similar enough and both are fantastic wheels.

They definitely don’t look like Radials. I don’t have any Radials on me at the moment but they look like these (52mm Radial Slims) but larger and with a more rounded area.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:14:23 PM by Woos »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2347 on: December 18, 2019, 04:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dimensions remind me of Radials but the cut looks like a Conical/Conical Full. Either would feel similar enough and both are fantastic wheels.

They definitely don’t look like Radials. I don’t have any Radials on me at the moment but they look like these (52mm Radial Slims) but larger and with a more rounded area.

Thanks for the pic, from the website:
"The Straight Shot Cut has a flatter side profile and a wider riding surface. This shape gives more control on smooth areas and the best flatspot resistance straight out of the pack."

I doubt they would be a conical since they have a separate wheel lineup for their conical stuff:
https://www.basementskate.com.au/arrow-curry-burnout-58mm-103a-skateboard-wheels/
"The Conical shape shaves some of the side of the wheel to allow for the fast grinds and helps minimise hook up potential. "
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2348 on: December 20, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »
been enjoying smoothly monster trucking everything in my path. definitely prefer the shape of these over the regular shaped soft wheels
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2349 on: December 20, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
been enjoying smoothly monster trucking everything in my path. definitely prefer the shape of these over the regular shaped soft wheels

I love these wheels. 99a F4 for sensible spots,  Ricta clouds 78a for medium crust, Super juice for spots that are vaguely shaped like a spot, but are so crusty you can barely even walk on them.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2350 on: December 20, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
I actually had those 63mm physics wheels believe it or not, they were pretty ridiculous though (although physics was a great company). I’m thinking Jerry Fisher/ Half Cab era Fred Gall; not quite on Matt’s level but somewhere in between. Probably 56mm fat wheels on a 8.25 board, nothing huge by today’s standards but they just looked so raw at the time 8)

Who in Okinawa are we taking about?

A few months ago I gave away a set of 58 or 60mm Physics and I've been regretting it ever since. I do have some vintage danny way plan b's that are probably 58ish? set up on a Kanfoush yinzer shape 8.55 deck (the black lance mountain graphic one) with Indy steve olson 149s. Super fun setup, those big old hard wheels just feel so at home on East Coast terrain when you're smashing down the street crushing rock salt and rodent bones and making a horrible racket. Fuck I might have to pull that thing out tomorrow. 

Diocletian

« Reply #2351 on: December 21, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
I’ve been riding some 97a wheels at my local indoor bowl and it’s been going well but I’m still having moments of almost eating it when they start to collect dust after about 4-5 runs, then I gotta wipe em off good.

I’ve never ridden a “cruiser” wheel in my life, those OJ Superjuice ones seem to have good reviews. Has anyone ridden these at an indoor? Also, with the softer “cruiser” type 78a durometer, do they start to chip away if you hit up crusty spots, do slappies, etc? Thanks.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2352 on: December 21, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
I’ve been riding some 97a wheels at my local indoor bowl and it’s been going well but I’m still having moments of almost eating it when they start to collect dust after about 4-5 runs, then I gotta wipe em off good.

I’ve never ridden a “cruiser” wheel in my life, those OJ Superjuice ones seem to have good reviews. Has anyone ridden these at an indoor? Also, with the softer “cruiser” type 78a durometer, do they start to chip away if you hit up crusty spots, do slappies, etc? Thanks.

I haven’t tried them indoors but the Super juice minis haven’t chipped on me at all and I ride some super crusty spots regularly. The Bones rough riders I had chipped to death within two days and the Ricta clouds pock mark quickly but haven’t fully chipped on me either.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2353 on: December 21, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the pic, from the website:
"The Straight Shot Cut has a flatter side profile and a wider riding surface. This shape gives more control on smooth areas and the best flatspot resistance straight out of the pack."

I doubt they would be a conical since they have a separate wheel lineup for their conical stuff:
https://www.basementskate.com.au/arrow-curry-burnout-58mm-103a-skateboard-wheels/
"The Conical shape shaves some of the side of the wheel to allow for the fast grinds and helps minimise hook up potential. "

Looks like they were Conicals, it said so on the back packaging but was covered by the price sticker. Slightly bummed but they are an amazing wheel. Way harder than I'm used to (83b) but they slide so well on ledges. Never landed Nollie Lipslides on boxes before and could slide them today with ease.

Edit: Didn't notice wheel hardness in the past but now I can definitely feel the bumps and cracks a lot more. Now I'm keen to try one F4 99a Radial Slims.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:25:17 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #2354 on: December 22, 2019, 12:39:57 PM »
I bought a pair of the samples that loophole has, I liked them a lot, slid great, everything, only problem was one of the wheels bearing seats were messed up and the bearing wouldn’t  set proper, had a horrible wheel wobble, I hope their quality control has improved, those wheels were sick
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2355 on: December 22, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »
I bought a pair of the samples that loophole has, I liked them a lot, slid great, everything, only problem was one of the wheels bearing seats were messed up and the bearing wouldn’t  set proper, had a horrible wheel wobble, I hope their quality control has improved, those wheels were sick

Were they harder wheels or did they feel like 99a F4’s? (Or something similar for reference)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #2356 on: December 23, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
Saw a guy at the park with some OJ Plain Janes sliding around with ease and now I’ve gotta get some. They seemed to skate great.

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #2357 on: December 23, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »
Dial Tones are pretty damn good. Love the way they slide and roll. Will be getting another set after these 55s are done.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2358 on: December 23, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
anyone know what OJ wheels they are, they look like a nice shape. Thanks, and shalom

the bigger pic is on the oj website right at the top
niggling

[/quote]

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2359 on: December 24, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
61mm team rider 97a. i have a set and they are good for crustier parks if you like big square wheels
🤙

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #2360 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:19 PM »
Does anyone know if the OJ 97 formula is the same as the Slimeball 97 formula?

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2361 on: December 25, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
pretty sure
🤙

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2362 on: December 25, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
Does anyone know if the OJ 97 formula is the same as the Slimeball 97 formula?
I've wondered about this for a while.. You can't rebottle a motor oil and label it as a different product (different brand motor oil). I'm pretty sure that's covered by the Magnusson Moss Act.
I.e., Shell/SOPUS owns Shell, Pennzoil, and Quaker State. They can't put the same formula oil in Quaker State and Pennzoil bottles. They have to change something: basestock, additive package, etc.
Following the same thinking you shouldn't be able to label 1 wheel formula as 2 different formulas but things probably aren't as strict in the skate world.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2363 on: December 27, 2019, 09:48:22 PM »
Anyone had any success skating street with 60mm's? Running them on a setup now while I'm injured just to get around, they feel real nice, F4 Classics. I imagine it would make tricks like smiths and krooks harder yeah?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #2364 on: December 27, 2019, 10:42:58 PM »
Anyone had any success skating street with 60mm's? Running them on a setup now while I'm injured just to get around, they feel real nice, F4 Classics. I imagine it would make tricks like smiths and krooks harder yeah?

Might be easier to pinch a crook since theres less space between your board and your wheel? Idk. Smiths on ledges do feel a bit weird to me with really big wheels since your truck isn't as flat on the top of the ledge as it would be with slightly smaller wheels. I'm sure it won't be too bad.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2365 on: December 28, 2019, 04:18:23 AM »

I ride 60mm Spitfire Og classics and 58mm conical fulls on some of my set ups. I haven’t noticed really any negative difference in skating street when I keep my trucks medium tightness. I’m riding them loose now so for wheelbites sake I’m riding 53/54’s at the moment.

I thought crooked grinds would be a problem but they are fine with them. I’m still relearning smiths so I couldn’t really say with those. Flip tricks require a bit more effort, but I don’t have a huge selection I can do anyway (kick/heel flip and 360 Kickflip) and that is also likely because of the size of the entire set up being bigger.

I like the monster truck feeling of riding big wheels like that

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2366 on: December 29, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
hey guys

im looking for a slimmer than average 50mm 99a wheel.

any recommendations?

thanks pal

shafom

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #2367 on: December 29, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
hey guys

im looking for a slimmer than average 50mm 99a wheel.

any recommendations?

thanks pal

shafom

Isn’t crupie pretty slim?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2368 on: December 29, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula-99/

The slims are pretty skinny already.

http://autobahnwheelco.com/autobahntech/

If you can find them Autobahn gets down down 0.5mm skinner but I think we're splitting hairs at this point.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2369 on: December 29, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula-99/

The slims are pretty skinny already.

http://autobahnwheelco.com/autobahntech/

If you can find them Autobahn gets down down 0.5mm skinner but I think we're splitting hairs at this point.

thank you, those bones look sweet

is autobahn still in business? if not then thats a bummer

sharom