Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796917 times)

boneless900, yourbreakfsat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4290 on: November 05, 2021, 09:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
im over hard wheels honestly. 95a Natas 58mm OJ's now best wheels i have ever had. tearing up the shit ground and also skatepark. not sliding all over the place on QPs anymore. feel so much safer on these. they slide only when you want them to.
[close]

join the club! i wont ride anything over 97a anymore! love my spitfires 97a and my oj nomads 95a ive been compiling a list of wheels in that range. ive been messaging wheel companies to start making wheels in these durometers and sml and snot wheels will work on something for their next batch.
[close]
either of you care to share more details on your experiences with the 95a OJs? been thinking about trying em for a while; currently hyped on my 97a conical f4s but there are definitely some spots around me where the asphalt is so crusty even 97s can't make em tolerable

I also had some of the Natas 58mm 95 duro and they are big enough not to feel slow but grippy enough not to slip out on anything.

The guys that skated the board with them on wanted to buy them right there and then, so I let them, but last I talked to him, he was still loving them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #4291 on: November 07, 2021, 07:05:29 PM »
I need help finding some wheels. Looking for 95-97a 55-56mm black or purple wheels.

I was psyched when I found that Minilogo made a 95a 56mm black wheel, but they're out of stock everywhere except this site called SkateUSA which has really shitty reviews. Also found something by Speedlabs but it's a wonky shape designed for freestyle. Bones has a nice looking set of black wheels but they're 101a.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4292 on: November 07, 2021, 07:31:08 PM »
Also came here for the soft wheel talk. 97a f4 classics are pretty dang nice, I could go softer, and for sure smaller.
Mainly just skating flatground and then transportation to and fro ‘the spot’.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4293 on: November 07, 2021, 09:40:01 PM »
I need help finding some wheels. Looking for 95-97a 55-56mm black or purple wheels.

I was psyched when I found that Minilogo made a 95a 56mm black wheel, but they're out of stock everywhere except this site called SkateUSA which has really shitty reviews. Also found something by Speedlabs but it's a wonky shape designed for freestyle. Bones has a nice looking set of black wheels but they're 101a.

I thought I had seen a whole lot of Slimeballs out in about that size in 95 duro, multiple colours and all that, so see if you can find some.

A shop here in AU has them, but that doesn't help you much if you are in USA or other.

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4294 on: November 08, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought I had seen a whole lot of Slimeballs out in about that size in 95 duro, multiple colours and all that, so see if you can find some.

A shop here in AU has them, but that doesn't help you much if you are in USA or other.

Slime Balls has some options but I was really looking for plain black, and they're pretty much sold out everywhere.

I just ended up ordering 2 sets of black 95a 56mm A-cut Mini Logos from SkatesUSA. Hopefully there's no issues with the seller because their online reviews are not stellar.

Lazyskater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #4295 on: November 08, 2021, 11:08:47 AM »

Speedlab wheels are not freestyle. Most  shapes are the same as Conicals fulls by spitfire. Good wheels as am not a spitfire fan and sometimes want some wider then bones

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #4296 on: November 08, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
I just replaced a worn pair of f4 99 duro classics with 53 stf bones 99 duro V1s.  They roll fine, but they don't slide well at all.  Has anyone with experienced the same with bones?  Will they slide better once I've broken them in a bit?   

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #4297 on: November 08, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Speedlab wheels are not freestyle. Most  shapes are the same as Conicals fulls by spitfire. Good wheels as am not a spitfire fan and sometimes want some wider then bones

https://www.speedlabwheels.com/products/sirens-55mm-96a

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4298 on: November 09, 2021, 02:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Wanted to try some Loopholes since there’s going to be a new drop soon but are they all 101a?
[close]

they're 52D which is basically 103A

I know thats what the Duro says on the packaging, but i found them softer than the 99a F4s I had. I really like the Loopholes. I have the Krebs which look like someone has doodled a Scotsman on them in black biro. I like their imperfect artisan aesthetic.

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4299 on: November 09, 2021, 06:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wanted to try some Loopholes since there’s going to be a new drop soon but are they all 101a?
[close]

[close]

I know thats what the Duro says on the packaging, but i found them softer than the 99a F4s I had. I really like the Loopholes. I have the Krebs which look like someone has doodled a Scotsman on them in black biro. I like their imperfect artisan aesthetic.
Softer than f4 99a, but harder than bones stf 99a, got the v-shaped ones aswell as the teardrops

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #4300 on: November 09, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Softer than f4 99a, but harder than bones stf 99a, got the v-shaped ones aswell as the teardrops
I’ve liked them other than I couldn’t get them to slide(I’m about 140 so I guess lighter). F4 is still better for that I feel. I didn’t think they were softer but I was on 54s so that could be why.

I got some of the 52 Tear Drop production seconds; definitely worth $25(like $30 after shipping).

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4301 on: November 09, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »
Out of curiosity, I bought some Welcome Orbs Spectre’s. Mainly cause they got a nice blue swirl on them. My locals priced them nice or are always on sale. Do they get better with slide over time? Like when the treads wear out? I seem to have to put more push to the crank for them to power slide but barely get any hold on the length of the slide. I’m also coming from Non-F4 OG classics Spits & Bones STF Easy Streets 99A’s. I’ve also noticed that I can’t give any wiggle space on the axel cause my bearings start popping out a little. I wanna know more about your guys’ experiences with Orbs. Can’t find them on any thread or a decent YouTube review. Other than that they feel nice on every surface. Almost like a cruiser wheel without that bounce.

sketchyrider

« Reply #4302 on: November 09, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »
what's the closest wheel to bones spf's out there? oj elite formula?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #4303 on: November 09, 2021, 01:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any companies make sub 50s in at least a 101?
[close]

https://www.boardycakes.com/
[close]
Whoa…….

*nut*.

I am tempted by those wheels. Must. Resist.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #4304 on: November 09, 2021, 02:29:27 PM »

It's pretty hard to compare Bones to any other wheel, especially SPFs, they're pretty unique in their feeling/performance. If we're comparing wheels by the numbers and not regarding cosmetics or performance I'd say NFGs are most comparable to the harder duro STFs, but as for SPFs I don't think there's another wheel on the market like it as far as I know

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4305 on: November 09, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's pretty hard to compare Bones to any other wheel, especially SPFs, they're pretty unique in their feeling/performance. If we're comparing wheels by the numbers and not regarding cosmetics or performance I'd say NFGs are most comparable to the harder duro STFs, but as for SPFs I don't think there's another wheel on the market like it as far as I know

Yes I tend to agree.

Some other brands are super hard, but with that have all the unwanted super hard wheel issues, like flatspots on the smallest things, or slip out too easily.

Bones have had their own market for so long they are their own stand alone product.

OJs always felt no where near as hard, even the Insaneathane or whatever the name was, which was super hard, but if you pushed into one solid powerslide, you usually had a flatspot rolling away.

Another newish one being Hazard wheels which are again super hard and slippery, but just not fun to skate (for me, along with a couple of people who have tried them anyway) but that is not to say that some people will not like them.

Never had NFG here in AU, or a couple of other brands that people say are super hard, but everything else is just another one in line behind Bones or Spitfire for most people.

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #4306 on: November 10, 2021, 03:36:35 AM »

Tried 99a elite and 81b spfs(58&60). Both handle rough ground pretty well. The spfs are more grippy than the 99a elite. I like both

sketchyrider

« Reply #4307 on: November 10, 2021, 06:25:23 AM »
thanks for the replies, i pretty much agree that there may be nothing like them. really just looking for best options on ultra polished concrete, i like f4's but they are known to be a little slippery.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4308 on: November 10, 2021, 06:43:59 AM »
thanks for the replies, i pretty much agree that there may be nothing like them. really just looking for best options on ultra polished concrete, i like f4's but they are known to be a little slippery.

I think I forgot to say, but there are a lot of wheels that are not as hard (but also not as fast) as Bones or Spitfire too.

Most of the second tier brands, or most other brands in general have urethane that is a bit more grippy and still rolls fine, but overall the speed is significantly less.

The only other thing that I know a lot of people forget about most other brands of wheel is that they are still almost always "treaded" or have factory grooves when new, which only takes a minute to wear off on aged raw concrete, but can be a deal breaker if you cannot wear them in easily or are only skating wood or a slippery surface.

Had a guy buy some new wheels, first run on the skatelite mini ramp and ate it so hard with his wheels slipping out.  Asked if he didn't hear me say to wear them in and said something like he didn't think they would be so bad at first.

Another reason to just be happy with Bones SPF or Spitfire F4 wheels = smooth surface and perfect right from go.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #4309 on: November 10, 2021, 06:53:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Another reason to just be happy with Bones SPF or Spitfire F4 wheels = smooth surface and perfect right from go.

Honestly everything else is chasing phantoms. We are all guilty of it but there’s a reason why so many of us come back to these two types of wheels.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4310 on: November 10, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »
switched from classic 53 to conical full 54 and i cant land anything.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4311 on: November 10, 2021, 08:39:58 AM »

I’m the biggest conical full hater. I wanted to be down. No. Classics only. Fulls block me on any rotational flips (so pretty much just 360 flips).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4312 on: November 10, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m the biggest conical full hater. I wanted to be down. No. Classics only. Fulls block me on any rotational flips (so pretty much just 360 flips).

I can do the 97a, only because I have them on a bigger, non-flippy board; I can't hang with hesh sized wheels.

These days it's 103 STF V5s..the shape just works for everything. Interesting about V5s messing with flip tricks for some, but classics don't seeing as V5s are literally narrower in every aspect going size for size...and V4s being just about on par with Conical Fulls.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 08:18:01 AM by Xen »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4313 on: November 10, 2021, 08:06:29 PM »
My flips tricks really suffer on conical fulls also but the 97s are my go to winter wheel for slippery indoor wooden ramps and rugged parking garages... compromises compromises compromises

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4314 on: November 11, 2021, 12:29:30 AM »
My flips tricks really suffer on conical fulls also but the 97s are my go to winter wheel for slippery indoor wooden ramps and rugged parking garages... compromises compromises compromises
97a classics?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4315 on: November 11, 2021, 06:00:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
97a classics?

Big fan of the 97a classics.

Post A Fit Fuccboi

• Rep: -6
  • Dog Drug Connoisseur
« Reply #4316 on: November 11, 2021, 06:05:53 AM »
Conicals, conical fulls, v5s, and v6s just mean worse flip tricks and more coping hang-ups for me. Lose-lose

They're probably great for flatbar and rails, which I suck at so

Classics for me, been really into Bones V4
I'll give you one thing, you got half your name right.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #4317 on: November 11, 2021, 08:53:13 AM »
Magic carpeting hella hard(8.38' deck on 8' trucks) on conical fulls helped with flips.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #4318 on: November 11, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »
Spit Conical Full or Conical in 52-53 is chef's kiss. Not too big or too small! 99a preferably, but 101a is also not bad after wearing them in.
Super Champion Fun Zone

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4319 on: November 11, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
didn't want to start a new thread for this question, and a quick search didn't turn anything up:

what's the best way to rotate wheels? i turn them inside out and just kinda mix them up occasionally, but i imagine there is a more scientific way

and on a related note: does anyone rotate their trucks? when i was younger i used to switch my front and back trucks whenever i set up a board, but it always threw me off for the first several sessions so i haven't done it in a few years.