Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798791 times)

Sketch Hitchcock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 168
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #8460 on: February 08, 2024, 01:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if NB has anything special brewing for SSD this year? Paging @rothdigga
[close]

We had something brewing but the product delivery didn't line up for SSD so it won't launch until around April.  But I KNOW everyone will be well pleased with it.  It's probably the shoe I'm most excited for/proud of since I connected some dots for us to make happen.  No other hints...ha

Probably very wrong here but… Gall or Blender guest shoe? 

How are we supposed to wait until April with a tease like that  :o

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #8461 on: February 08, 2024, 01:18:07 PM »
@rothdigga when is grey day?   Really think the Frankys and Knox’s will look good in that colorway

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #8462 on: February 08, 2024, 01:23:21 PM »
Man I really want to like the 440v2, and I'm sure that in every functional way its an upgrade, but that N just throws me off a bit

Its not even the bigger/more abstract N which is the issue, which I think is fine and looks great on many nb lifestyle models and the 808s. Its more the fact that its attached to the top eyelet panel but doesn't extend down very far. Makes it feel like its kinda just dangling on the shoe and sits too high up instead of centred in that panel like the old 440.

I think it would look better if they made it a bit bigger/longer and it extended all the way to that crease right below the bottom of the N... which they could turn into an actual panel (might help add some more structure and protection too)

^very rough doodle, but kinda like what was done with the 808s which I thought was a very good implementation of the bigger, more abstract N:

That way the panels around the mesh panel where the N is, help to kinda frame the N and make it seem more integrated into the shoe, instead of just kinda awkwardly hanging off the eyelet panel...

Or is it just me...

input

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8463 on: February 08, 2024, 01:34:46 PM »
Recently decided to try the #480s agains after having a few issues with a pair from the initial launch run, and have to say that the new ones feel drastically better. Were any changes or adjustments made between the first run (the white + blue/orange) and the later runs (green+orange)? Was I unlucky with my first pair? Could it just be benefits from suede being more flexible?

Either way im loving these at the moment, hoping for some more drops this year!

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8464 on: February 08, 2024, 02:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if NB has anything special brewing for SSD this year? Paging @rothdigga
[close]

We had something brewing but the product delivery didn't line up for SSD so it won't launch until around April.  But I KNOW everyone will be well pleased with it.  It's probably the shoe I'm most excited for/proud of since I connected some dots for us to make happen.  No other hints...ha

Well I’m an April birthday, so this could end up being a gift to myself! Excited to see what’s in store for us.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #8465 on: February 08, 2024, 02:16:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Another Reynolds colorway would be very much appreciated  8)

rothdigga

• Rep: 585
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8466 on: February 08, 2024, 04:24:53 PM »
@rothdigga when is grey day?   Really think the Frankys and Knox’s will look good in that colorway
It's April sometime.  We have something coming for it but not the 417 and 600.  I could for sure see 600's being a grey day in the future, that's a good silhouette for it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8467 on: February 08, 2024, 05:39:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's April sometime.  We have something coming for it but not the 417 and 600.  I could for sure see 600's being a grey day in the future, that's a good silhouette for it.

Any idea when the next round of 600 colorways are dropping?

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8468 on: February 08, 2024, 06:36:37 PM »
Something about my reynolds 480 hasn’t felt right from day 1. I’ve broken them in for hours and hours, no skating, but a ton of time on feet. And after all this time, there’s still some nagging annoyance in my left foot, between the arch and forefoot. I feel like it could be an issue with the strobel board stitching or construction?

I’ve swapped 1010 insole, didn’t change it. Flat samba insole, still there. At this point ready to try the 600 or 440v2 and leave the 480 behind I guess.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8469 on: February 08, 2024, 06:54:06 PM »
First take on the HIs:

- The indigo/Sea Salt look pretty damn good
- These look cool as shit compared to the V1 hi, especially the 'banana' curve the V1 had and the upper/heel texture; I'm a fan of the big, single layer N (less dad shoe vibes), but agree that they should have 808'd it and had the bottom extend to the closest stitch.
- Thick cotton'ish' laces (1 pair no extras)

- No tongue padding/very little ankle padding

- Fit TTS (D/regular), IF A BIT ROOMY (I'm wearing athletic/normal socks - thicker socks would eat up that space), all around - length and width (width is REAL good for me in the midfoot/meta area)
- In a 10.5, my big toe is still 'inside' / right before the cap stitching (which I prefer as it allows upward to flexing)
- There is room enough that I can fit an aftermarket, padded, higher arch insole and it doesn't feel cramped - which was my hope because the ortholite insole can suck some ass; cheapest shit out next to what comes in the rowans.
- Very flat feeling/no arch
- They don't feel very comfy (coming off the react leos which are super comfy and the Rowans which just feel more substantial in the midsole), they just feel 'fine'; not that they are uncomfortable, there just isn't much in the way for padding/cushioning.

Don't have to tighten them down so much you squinch the eyestays / buckle the toe box

I get a tiny amount of heelslip if I don't lace the bottom of the top two eyelets of the 'hi' part of the shoe; it goes away if I lace them

I'd say they're keepers / a win for NB - if you liked the way V1s felt on foot, you should like these; I do feel they could have made them just a bit more plush, cushier, more padding, etc.,, but that would probably move them away from what the 440 offers...or they could just make a Mid/Hi Tiago...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:06:10 AM by Xen »

disparatethoughts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8470 on: February 08, 2024, 07:49:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good thing the durometer didn't change on the 440v2. The flick is what keeps me coming back to the shoe. Now keep a blck/whte pair in stock you sons of bitches. Or just in stock in general.
[close]
Black and white is just so boring😉, you guys gotta live a little😂….dont worry, we’ve got the standard skate colors coming soon.
[close]
word, I said it before and I'll say it again. For the love of god, please make an all black 440 high with these v2s. Are there any plans for it or am I gonna have to consider going back to vulcs?
[close]

Patrick Praman was seen skating a pair in his Real Pro part, so I believe it's safe to assume a murdered out 440 Hi V2 is coming
[close]

saw yesterday night that he posted an insta story about the sample he skated there and how he was involved with the process.
It's still up if anybody is interested.....first samples were november 2022 according to this. quite some time working on those
[close]

Got a SB (shoe boner)

goooood bless, thanks guys

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8471 on: February 08, 2024, 09:49:45 PM »
First take on the HIs:

- The indigo/Sea Salt look pretty damn good
- These look cool as shit compared to the V1 hi, especially the 'banana' curve the V1 had and the upper/heel texture; I'm a fan of the big, single layer N (less dad shoe vibes), but agree that they should have 808'd it and had the bottom extend to the closest stitch.
- Thick cotton'ish' laces (1 pair no extras)

- No tongue padding/very little ankle padding

- Fit TTS (D/regular), IF A BIT ROOMY (wearing athletic/normal socks/thicker socks would eat up that space), all around - length and width (width is REAL good for me in the midfoot/meta area)
- In a 10.5, my big toe is still 'inside' / right before the cap stitching (which I prefer as it allows upward to flexing)
- There is room enough that I can fit an aftermarket, padded, higher arch insole and it doesn't feel cramped - which was my hope because the ortholite insole can suck some ass; cheapest shit out next to what comes in the rowans.
- Very flat feeling/no arch
- They don't feel very comfy (coming off the react leos which are super comfy and the Rowans which just feel more substantial in the midsole), they just feel 'fine'; not that they are uncomfortable, there just isn't much in the way for padding/cushioning.

Don't have to tighten them down so much you squinch the eyestays / buckle the toe box

I get a tiny amount of heelslip if I don't lace the bottom of the top two eyelets of the 'hi' part of the shoe; it goes away if I lace them

I'd say they're keepers / a win for NB - if you liked the way V1s felt on foot, you should like these; I do feel they could have made them just a bit more plush, cushier, more padding, etc.,, but that would probably move them away from what the 440 offers...or they could just make a Mid/Hi Tiago...

Appreciate the breakdown!! I have a couple v1 His of the 440. Had to go 1.0 size up to fit comfortably.  Could have gotten away with 0.5 up, but a hereditary bunion on my right foot has always inhibited some shoe options for me over the years, unless I size up. I just double insole (etnies sti & state ones) in the pairs I have. I wonder if the V2s will be the same thing for me

The 480 hi already does and will likely scratch the itch some of your possible changes to the 440 v2 padding you suggested for some people (if not yourself).
So, if someone wants a thicker and more padded hi top, 480 is more their speed than the 440, imo. That said, I agree that the 440 models should have more collar and tongue padding, as they are way too thin as it is. Manageable, but not plush enough.
Super Champion Fun Zone

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #8472 on: February 09, 2024, 12:10:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good thing the durometer didn't change on the 440v2. The flick is what keeps me coming back to the shoe. Now keep a blck/whte pair in stock you sons of bitches. Or just in stock in general.
[close]
Black and white is just so boring😉, you guys gotta live a little😂….dont worry, we’ve got the standard skate colors coming soon.
[close]
word, I said it before and I'll say it again. For the love of god, please make an all black 440 high with these v2s. Are there any plans for it or am I gonna have to consider going back to vulcs?
[close]

Patrick Praman was seen skating a pair in his Real Pro part, so I believe it's safe to assume a murdered out 440 Hi V2 is coming
[close]

saw yesterday night that he posted an insta story about the sample he skated there and how he was involved with the process.
It's still up if anybody is interested.....first samples were november 2022 according to this. quite some time working on those
[close]

Got a SB (shoe boner)
[close]

I don't like mids but these better pass the sample stage.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8473 on: February 09, 2024, 12:32:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Got a SB (shoe boner)
[close]

[close]

I don't like mids but these better pass the sample stage.

I’m not necessarily an all black shoe fan, but this def needs sold to customers

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8474 on: February 09, 2024, 03:04:17 AM »

Stoked that I got the 1010 on the unofficial Reynolds colorway and I couldn't let pass Knox 600 since both were 50%
I want some V2, probably high, and finally chill out with shoes for this year since I already have some 808, 600 and 480 on ice.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8475 on: February 09, 2024, 03:31:38 AM »

Stoked that I got the 1010 on the unofficial Reynolds colorway and I couldn't let pass Knox 600 since both were 50%
I want some V2, probably high, and finally chill out with shoes for this year since I already have some 808, 600 and 480 on ice.

Hold up. How are the Ellingtons? Was looking at a pair on sale…
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8476 on: February 09, 2024, 03:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They feel fucking amazing, ssense have like 70%. Got them for €43 + €22 on the shipping.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

truthislie

• Rep: 58
« Reply #8477 on: February 09, 2024, 03:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wild speculation: I remeber when the 868 was discontinued you posted something like it might come back for special occassions. I really liked that shoe and think it was ahead of its time. So maybe a 868 one off?

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8478 on: February 09, 2024, 05:49:15 AM »

Not to distract from NB in an NB thread, but…

Those Li-nings look much better in personal
Photo than on the website. The suede toe on that colorway is probably much heartier than on some of the previous versions which just featured a thin flimsy rubber material.

That Ellington shoe is one of the most comfortable padded shoes I’ve ever worn.

Do you get deja vu, huh?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8479 on: February 09, 2024, 08:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They feel fucking amazing, ssense have like 70%. Got them for €43 + €22 on the shipping.

Where were the Knox’s on sale?

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8480 on: February 09, 2024, 08:40:57 AM »
@Atiba Applebum someone recently posted a link that had the Knox’s for around $55-60 I believe. My bank account got hacked so I didn’t jump on it, but it was a killer deal.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #8481 on: February 09, 2024, 08:57:56 AM »

Lol, who are you kidding my dude?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8482 on: February 09, 2024, 09:07:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Where were the Knox’s on sale?
Here: https://4elementos.com/en/brand/88-new-balance-numeric
Sucks that now is 40%, got mine @ 50%
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8483 on: February 09, 2024, 09:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol, who are you kidding my dude?
I know... Must... Be... Strong...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8484 on: February 09, 2024, 09:35:39 AM »
The 480 hi already does and will likely scratch the itch some of your possible changes to the 440 v2 padding you suggested for some people (if not yourself).
So, if someone wants a thicker and more padded hi top, 480 is more their speed than the 440, imo. That said, I agree that the 440 models should have more collar and tongue padding, as they are way too thin as it is. Manageable, but not plush enough.

If only they had a decent launch colorway...

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8485 on: February 09, 2024, 10:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If only they had a decent launch colorway...

I love the 480s and think the first colorway wasnt horrible.

I like it more than the mostly blue 440 anyway.

mini greek

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8486 on: February 09, 2024, 11:02:02 AM »
Got something really different for Grey Day this year.
Get litty.....

mini greek

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8487 on: February 09, 2024, 11:03:21 AM »
Man I really want to like the 440v2, and I'm sure that in every functional way its an upgrade, but that N just throws me off a bit

Its not even the bigger/more abstract N which is the issue, which I think is fine and looks great on many nb lifestyle models and the 808s. Its more the fact that its attached to the top eyelet panel but doesn't extend down very far. Makes it feel like its kinda just dangling on the shoe and sits too high up instead of centred in that panel like the old 440.

I think it would look better if they made it a bit bigger/longer and it extended all the way to that crease right below the bottom of the N... which they could turn into an actual panel (might help add some more structure and protection too)

^very rough doodle, but kinda like what was done with the 808s which I thought was a very good implementation of the bigger, more abstract N:

That way the panels around the mesh panel where the N is, help to kinda frame the N and make it seem more integrated into the shoe, instead of just kinda awkwardly hanging off the eyelet panel...

Or is it just me...
sounds like that 808 is the shoe for you. We dont want to make them all look the same.
Get litty.....

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #8488 on: February 09, 2024, 11:06:31 AM »
So is Patrick just wearing the normal 442 V2’s or are we getting Numeric versions of those too?

I have some Adidas that look like those and they’re too low. Don’t like soccer/football shoes 😭

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #8489 on: February 09, 2024, 11:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote

Or is it just me...
[close]
sounds like that 808 is the shoe for you. We dont want to make them all look the same.

Ya coz ever so slightly modifying the panelling and proportions of the N on the 440v2 is going to make them look the same as the 808...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 08:36:14 PM by tzhangdox »