Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945364 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8190 on: March 07, 2020, 09:21:10 AM »
y'all probably going to think i'm having a hard day or something, but i just watched this again and there is some epic acting in this movie right here--especially all of these scenes towards the end in the kitchen:

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
« Reply #8191 on: March 07, 2020, 10:43:34 AM »
Really getting into John Duigan right now, he's an Australian director. I had seen "Flirting", it's really good, boarding school coming-of-age story. Got this double dvd, both are good.
If you're going to watch one, check "Winter of our Dreams"

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8192 on: March 07, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Not really expecting too much, just some dumb entertainment, but i'm about to smoke and watch a bootleg screener copy of Sonic. We'll see how it is haha

Edit: It was ok I guess. Just a kids movie. I mean I love Sonic but there really didn't need to be a Sonic movie. Still better than most video game flicks
[close]

Was it any good?

I watched Tropic Thunder for the first time in ages.
McBride has some superb lines ("Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit!" "I nearly blinded Jamie Lee Curtis on Freaky Friday").

Plus I'd forgotten how good Cruise is in it.

Robert Downey got nominated for an Oscar for that one....

Just re Watched Suicide Kings.... interesting plot, but executed poorly...imo.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8193 on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
I saw Corpus Christi the other night at Nuart. It was pretty good.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #8194 on: March 07, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
apocalypse now

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8195 on: March 07, 2020, 11:19:09 PM »

Both extremely stupid, yet enjoyable.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8196 on: March 08, 2020, 07:07:55 AM »

Both extremely stupid, yet enjoyable.

I still rent movies from the local library and have Beverly Luff Linn on hold, pretty keen, Matt Berry being in this sold it to me.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8197 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:35 AM »

Another good and unconventional indie. Watched the first 15 minutes of Berberian Sound Studio a few years back but didn't get to finish it. Should revisit it some day and watch The Duke of Burgundy, too.   

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8198 on: March 13, 2020, 05:33:00 AM »

Sweaty.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8199 on: March 15, 2020, 01:24:16 AM »

A solid debut film. Carey Mulligan was as stellar as always.

Yu Dum

« Reply #8200 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
The Lighthouse was wild from start to finish. Still not entirely sure of what the fuck I was watching, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Need to watch a second time and see if I can make sense of it all.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8201 on: March 16, 2020, 12:32:48 PM »
The Lighthouse was wild from start to finish. Still not entirely sure of what the fuck I was watching, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Need to watch a second time and see if I can make sense of it all.

Lighthouse should have won an Oscar for photography at least, gonna watch it again as well.

But for now I'll check this out

Yu Dum

« Reply #8202 on: March 16, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lighthouse should have won an Oscar for photography at least, gonna watch it again as well.

Agreed. Cinematography alone was enough to convey the feeling of anxious dread that followed from beginning-to-end.
Sorry to sidetrack, but what the fuck is going on with your username? That shit is wack.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
« Reply #8203 on: March 16, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
This documentary about smuggling cocaine in 1980s Miami has some pretty nice bank spots in it

Would love to do some blow & fakie flips there

Quique

« Reply #8204 on: March 16, 2020, 02:43:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Agreed. Cinematography alone was enough to convey the feeling of anxious dread that followed from beginning-to-end.
Sorry to sidetrack, but what the fuck is going on with your username? That shit is wack.

My username is just what I'm called in Argentina, because of my last name, Enrique. Never knew that it was a racial slur until slap. Is there a way to change the username?

Yu Dum

« Reply #8205 on: March 16, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

My username is just what I'm called in Argentina, because of my last name, Enrique. Never knew that it was a racial slur until slap. Is there a way to change the username?
I understand that, but no, there's no way to change it unless you make a new account. Sorry, Pal. Didn't mean to attack you like that.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8206 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
Yeah, it's a very different word without the tilde...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Quique

« Reply #8207 on: March 16, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
No problem bf, I know you're a good pal and can understand the issue with the name, and I'm sorry if I offended you even if it was unintended.

Has anybody seen The favourite?

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #8208 on: March 16, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
No problem bf, I know you're a good pal and can understand the issue with the name, and I'm sorry if I offended you even if it was unintended.

Has anybody seen The favourite?

You're less than hundred posts in, maybe just start over with a new username. I put you on ignore instantly back when I saw a new user with said name. It's really bad.

The favourite was terrific, highly recommend it. Lanthimos' best movie so far.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8209 on: March 17, 2020, 12:22:22 AM »
Towelhead is pretty good if you've never seen it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 428
« Reply #8210 on: March 17, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »

I loved reading some more in depth articles on The Lighthouse after watching it, which helped to talk about potential symbolism and hidden meanings. I love films like that. It reminded me of Enemy, which had a similar "what the fuck" ending scene, but has so much symbolism throughout the whole movie. Watching these type of movies more than once really do help and looking forward to seeing The Lighthouse again as well.

Irvine-Sucks.com

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #8211 on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Do we have a "Last Shit Movie You Saw" thread?
Cos' Annabelle Comes Home could fit perfectly.

Hilariously jumps the shark about 30 minutes in with a terrible CG dog/wolf/ghost thing.
These and the Conjuring films are so unscary it's actually scary.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #8212 on: March 18, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »
Watched Good Will Hunting again.

One of my favorite movies, bummer Weinstein stained everything he's had his hands on.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #8213 on: March 18, 2020, 02:09:44 PM »
Do we have a "Last Shit Movie You Saw" thread?
Cos' Annabelle Comes Home could fit perfectly.

Hilariously jumps the shark about 30 minutes in with a terrible CG dog/wolf/ghost thing.
These and the Conjuring films are so unscary it's actually scary.

Saw this last week and thought the same. Like almost any horror movie that follows these guidelines, it’s scary until you actually see the monsters. Then it’s just funny.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8214 on: March 18, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Started binging on Band of Brothers last night with my girl. Technically not a movie but a mini series. Holy shit is it good though. The download that I have of it has a full hour+ talking to the real men of Easy Company. Absolutely awesome to hear those people talk and it attached a lot more gravity to the show. I'll most likely finish it tonight. Then I'll go on to Chernobyl and The Pacific.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #8215 on: March 18, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »
Bad Boys for Life

theSketchLord

« Reply #8216 on: March 19, 2020, 05:04:21 AM »

One of my favorite movies, bummer Weinstein stained everything he's had his hands on.

My brother obsesses over this film, last year finally traveled from the UK to the US just to sit in the park bench from the poster.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
« Reply #8217 on: March 20, 2020, 07:52:35 AM »

Starting to notice that too (never paid attention to it i suppose...). So many great films, especially around that time...

In that same vain, re watched Chasing Amy. Great film, but my girl kept wanting to pause and debate who’s right and wrong in it...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #8218 on: March 20, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood

I did a quick little internet research on 1800's five points ny before watching Gangs of New York and it made it very enjoyable.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #8219 on: March 24, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
How many of you all went/are in film school?