Author Topic: bikes  (Read 308615 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: bikes
« Reply #2670 on: July 06, 2022, 01:01:34 AM »
Repost cause we’ve been discussing 90s hard tails. Here is my daughter’s bicycle:

nice, a friend of mine has the very same bike/frame in adult size with suspension fork :D

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #2671 on: July 06, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »
Ended up finding a really sick little hardrock in a cool colorway (dark gray with teal decals). Was really hoping I could find a rockhopper for a good deal but they were all a bit too pricey and I couldn't wait. This dude serving up major build inspiration

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2672 on: July 06, 2022, 12:34:27 PM »
Just got a Fit series 22, can’t wait to go hit up the dirt jump spot this Friday. I waited far too long to get back on a bmx haha these things are fun as hell.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2673 on: July 06, 2022, 01:03:42 PM »
Ended up finding a really sick little hardrock in a cool colorway (dark gray with teal decals). Was really hoping I could find a rockhopper for a good deal but they were all a bit too pricey and I couldn't wait. This dude serving up major build inspiration

nice come up!

bike in the pic is awesome. interested to see what you'll build out of your frame.

EDIT:

funny to see the bmx stem and steerer. i was thinking of doing the same to my bike to have less drop from saddle to bars. i also think it looks really cool.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2674 on: July 06, 2022, 05:12:00 PM »
The BMX stem is sick I agree, but I have a few different ideas for what I want to end up with... will definitely post after pics in a month or two when I'm done! I have summers off from work, so I should have this thing done quick as it's like my sole priority at the moment (aside from skating and my girlfriend).

Here's the bike I ended up going with for the conversion. I really like this colorway, if I'm not mistaken it's a '94 (my birthday year). Super geeked about this thing if ya can't tell...

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2675 on: July 07, 2022, 02:32:21 AM »
beautiful dude. very stoked for you!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
« Reply #2676 on: July 07, 2022, 06:17:57 AM »
Just got a Fit series 22, can’t wait to go hit up the dirt jump spot this Friday. I waited far too long to get back on a bmx haha these things are fun as hell.

Nice one! Kinda want one myself but I have too many BMX's at the moment.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2677 on: July 10, 2022, 08:43:51 PM »
Haven't been riding much recently but decided to bang out a metric century today. I thought I was in for 5000' of climbing in 60 miles. Nope that was the peak elevation. Ended up climbing just shy of 9000' on some pretty remote forest roads. Saw three cars, a few hikers. Pretty spooky but the scenery was unreal.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2678 on: July 11, 2022, 10:27:34 AM »
My legs hurt just thinking about 9000’ of vertical. Where did the ride take place? Area looks nice.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2679 on: July 11, 2022, 10:31:25 AM »
Mt Hood in Oregon. I left Parkdale (Near Hood River) and did a big Forest Service/ Fire Road loop up to Lost Lake. Can highly recommend roads NF 13 and 16 and Lolo Pass but I'd rather not do it solo again.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2680 on: July 11, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »
That's a hell of a climb!!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2681 on: July 12, 2022, 12:17:00 AM »
Haven't been riding much recently but decided to bang out a metric century today. I thought I was in for 5000' of climbing in 60 miles. Nope that was the peak elevation. Ended up climbing just shy of 9000' on some pretty remote forest roads. Saw three cars, a few hikers. Pretty spooky but the scenery was unreal.

What a ride. I had a similar route in southern California I used to do with similar metrics, but not nearly as good of views

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #2682 on: July 12, 2022, 06:57:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I definitely recommend checking out the 22" wheels, they're faster and smoother than the 20" but without the mtb feel that 24" wheels have. I'm tall so the 22" tt is nice too. The Fit is spec'd pretty well, I'll probably just switch out the tires for knobbier ones and get slightly bigger bars. Haven't really done any street or park riding on it yet, but it was super fun on the trails.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2683 on: July 12, 2022, 02:54:56 PM »

Sick trip and bike my man. Surly Straggler? Glad to see someone rocking double front rings, singles are so fucking trendy right now and I can't understand why?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2684 on: July 12, 2022, 03:27:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sick trip and bike my man. Surly Straggler? Glad to see someone rocking double front rings, singles are so fucking trendy right now and I can't understand why?

i mean i could see why you'd want all those gears on a mountain trip like this, but most people ride their bikes in cities and then you barely need more than a 1x drivetrain, look how many happily ride just a single speed, too.

personally i made two bikes that were 3x into singles cause i just didn't need the other rings, riding on the one that worked was fine enough. i ended up riding the biggest/outer and never used the other two so i disconnected the fd and took them off. i also dislike having to use two shifters. also cranks with 3 chainrings are kinda ugly to me, too. but i'd run it if i had use for it. my new whip has 3 chainrings and it makes sense with the low gearing kind of. i dunno... i will leave this one that way.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2685 on: July 12, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »
Yeah its Surly Straggler. I got it stock (bro deal) and haven't done much to it apart from setting it up with a good saddle, tyres and clipless pedals. It came with the double-chain ring. I think they come stock as 1 x 11s now. I ride single speed/ fixed all week around town so when I go 'adventuring' 25+ miles, I am usually looking for mixed terrain and some decent climbing and I definitely appreciate all the gear options.

I did a 110 miler through the woods from Portland to Astoria on this thing a couple of years ago. I'd like to get another mixed-terrain century under my belt later this summer.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 808
« Reply #2686 on: July 13, 2022, 03:51:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I definitely recommend checking out the 22" wheels, they're faster and smoother than the 20" but without the mtb feel that 24" wheels have. I'm tall so the 22" tt is nice too. The Fit is spec'd pretty well, I'll probably just switch out the tires for knobbier ones and get slightly bigger bars. Haven't really done any street or park riding on it yet, but it was super fun on the trails.

I just looked at the specs of the Fit Series 22, the bar is a 9". I have a 9.5" (S&M Hoder Sky High) bars on my bike and definitely like them way more then 9" that I used to run. If I get a 22" I'd probably get an S&M ATF and build it the way I want...but they turn into money pits like the one below:

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2687 on: July 13, 2022, 05:46:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i mean i could see why you'd want all those gears on a mountain trip like this, but most people ride their bikes in cities and then you barely need more than a 1x drivetrain, look how many happily ride just a single speed, too.

personally i made two bikes that were 3x into singles cause i just didn't need the other rings, riding on the one that worked was fine enough. i ended up riding the biggest/outer and never used the other two so i disconnected the fd and took them off. i also dislike having to use two shifters. also cranks with 3 chainrings are kinda ugly to me, too. but i'd run it if i had use for it. my new whip has 3 chainrings and it makes sense with the low gearing kind of. i dunno... i will leave this one that way.

Yeah, I can't say I use every single front/rear ring combo on my ride – I might be using like 3-5 rear rings on each front ring. And sure, one less gear to fuck up. But isn't the chainline *insane* on the 1x11's? Gotta be some real trick shit going on in order to keep that thing working somewhat efficiently?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2688 on: July 13, 2022, 06:03:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I can't say I use every single front/rear ring combo on my ride – I might be using like 3-5 rear rings on each front ring. And sure, one less gear to fuck up. But isn't the chainline *insane* on the 1x11's? Gotta be some real trick shit going on in order to keep that thing working somewhat efficiently?

yeah, i guess. i ran 7-8 speed max on my single ring bikes or just single speed. i have no experience with 1x11s. but they seem to work for most people alright. on my bikes the chainline wasn't great either with me running the outermost ring only when it came to the smaller gears, but i haven't had huge problems with them. maybe the narrower chain, tighter fit and rd keep it smooth. maybe someone who knows bike engineerign like @PuffinMuffin  knows how that works.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #2689 on: July 13, 2022, 06:50:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, i guess. i ran 7-8 speed max on my single ring bikes or just single speed. i have no experience with 1x11s. but they seem to work for most people alright. on my bikes the chainline wasn't great either with me running the outermost ring only when it came to the smaller gears, but i haven't had huge problems with them. maybe the narrower chain, tighter fit and rd keep it smooth. maybe someone who knows bike engineerign like @PuffinMuffin  knows how that works.

I think 1x is fine. Sram calls big-big the "race gear" and says their parts are "designed to cross chain" but the other two manufacturers recommend against cross chaining which is technically big-big on a converted 1x. I doubt it leads to any further drivetrain wear though. I've worked on peoples bikes who did their own 1x conversion and sometimes there's chain suck if the chain line is shitty and they're running a narrow wide ring. You can usually add washers on either end of the bolt holes on your ring to even things out again though.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

NORTHBYMIDWEST

« Reply #2690 on: July 13, 2022, 07:18:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I just looked at the specs of the Fit Series 22, the bar is a 9". I have a 9.5" (S&M Hoder Sky High) bars on my bike and definitely like them way more then 9" that I used to run. If I get a 22" I'd probably get an S&M ATF and build it the way I want...but they turn into money pits like the one below:

That’s a sick BTM! I looked at the ATFs but when I priced out the build it was like $1400 haha so I just went with the complete for now. I’m probably gonna go with the skyhigh or the super high bars as well.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2691 on: July 15, 2022, 05:50:15 AM »
Far from finished as I still wanna upgrade some things down the line (seatpost and saddle, maybe a different bar setup), but it is rollin. Love this thing, been fuckin around learning wheelies and just generally can't stay off the bike.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2692 on: July 15, 2022, 06:14:46 AM »
I just did a parts bin upgrade on an old Stumpjumper a friend hooked me up with. Threw some old dirt bike bars and a BMX stem flipped upside down to clear the brake line on it. Also some flat pedals and new tires. Thing rips.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2693 on: July 15, 2022, 06:16:55 AM »
beautiful.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2694 on: July 15, 2022, 07:04:55 AM »
both these bikes fucking rule

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #2695 on: July 15, 2022, 07:41:09 AM »
I just bought some Gravelking SK tires to replace the original 1994 tires on my mountain bike. I’m excited.

Hoping it’s a little zippier on the road when I get them on!

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 733
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #2696 on: July 15, 2022, 01:46:13 PM »
I’ve got 800 monies and I want a hybrid. What bike should I cop? Keep in mind I bent the fork underneath my weight on the last bike that I had doing a small wheelie.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #2697 on: July 15, 2022, 06:24:57 PM »
I’ve got 800 monies and I want a hybrid. What bike should I cop? Keep in mind I bent the fork underneath my weight on the last bike that I had doing a small wheelie.

If you walked into my old shop, I'd push you towards a Gaint Toughroad. They're pretty overbuilt and Giant has a lifetime guarantee on the frame/fork.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #2698 on: July 16, 2022, 03:42:50 AM »

Awesome view and much respect for the elevation and distance. My legs are burning just thinking about that.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #2699 on: July 20, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
i ended up undecaling my bike. shit was flaking off hard in some parts anyways, and it's not that it didn't look good, i'm just a sucker for undecaled frames. the frame is still identifiable via the headtube plate. i also put bmx pedals on and i got a front rack on the way. i still have some plans. i want to change or redo the brakes, redo the cabeling and put a riser bar on.
i actually rode a bit of trail through the woods to the spot where i took the pic. but at some point it was blocked by all kinds of debris and overgrowth. seems like it hasn't been cleared for quite some time.