Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309529 times)

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
Re: bikes
« Reply #690 on: March 11, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
I am currently saving for a YT Capra now that they are available in the US.  They aren't putting out the XL size until the end of the summer so I have some time.  Can't wait.  going for the aluminum as i can't justify carbon.  The spec is so good .  I am liking the direct distribution model.  Though I can see the drawbacks.
rfox,
Never heard of them, looks good.  Is that a 27.5?  Isn't that overkill for your neighborhood, or is ideal for trips up to the hills?

Pippen, if you want to be super cool guy, Specialized did a collab with Poler (camp vibes) on a model of the Awol.  It's about $2000, but it comes with the front rack and bags. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Blue Fescue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #691 on: March 12, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I am currently saving for a YT Capra now that they are available in the US.  They aren't putting out the XL size until the end of the summer so I have some time.  Can't wait.  going for the aluminum as i can't justify carbon.  The spec is so good .  I am liking the direct distribution model.  Though I can see the drawbacks.
[close]
rfox,
Never heard of them, looks good.  Is that a 27.5?  Isn't that overkill for your neighborhood, or is ideal for trips up to the hills?

Pippen, if you want to be super cool guy, Specialized did a collab with Poler (camp vibes) on a model of the Awol.  It's about $2000, but it comes with the front rack and bags. 

They spec their bikes so well.  It is a 27.5 and definitely overkill for here but would be amazing in the mountains when i am there.  plus it just looks fun. 

colin

« Reply #692 on: March 13, 2015, 07:34:50 PM »

That thing looks just about perfect

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #693 on: March 14, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Any one have suggestions for a touring bike?  I'm looking at the Fuji Touring since it is more affordable than others, but anyone have advice?  I have pretty much zero experience with bikes and just want to go for it in a "We're really doing it ft. Heath" type way.

Seems like a good deal. The only things I don't like are its linear pull brakes and somewhat skinny tires. When the bike is loaded the brakes are fine, but with just a rider, they have poor modulation (complete stop or no stop). If you are 5'10" or under, I would suggest a Surly Long Haul Trucker since it uses smaller wheels for smaller frames (more room for fatter tires).

Mother Goose.

« Reply #694 on: May 10, 2015, 12:08:43 AM »
my rat. gone through many forks. many accidents. my knees and collarbone are toast. metal and screws in both. love cycling tho.

colin

« Reply #695 on: May 10, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
Ooh, Deda stem. A little high-end.
What pedals are on there?

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #696 on: May 10, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
i havent had a bike since i was about 10, i wanna get one just to cruise around. any recommendations for a cheap one?

Mother Goose.

« Reply #697 on: May 10, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Ooh, Deda stem. A little high-end.
What pedals are on there?

fyxation gate slim pedals. just one strap.

colin

« Reply #698 on: May 12, 2015, 09:08:50 AM »
i havent had a bike since i was about 10, i wanna get one just to cruise around. any recommendations for a cheap one?

Probably sounds lame, but it depends on what you wanna do:

Bunny hops and shit

Getting groceries, of course, this bike is probably about $10,000

I always tell people to try craigslist or pinkbike classifieds
If you're not sure, google reviews on the bike
I've seen some unridden his and hers downhill mountain bikes on craigslist, kinda funny

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #699 on: May 12, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably sounds lame, but it depends on what you wanna do:

Bunny hops and shit

Getting groceries, of course, this bike is probably about $10,000

I always tell people to try craigslist or pinkbike classifieds
If you're not sure, google reviews on the bike
I've seen some unridden his and hers downhill mountain bikes on craigslist, kinda funny

Do you have any recommendations for somebody who's interested in cycling?  like for longer distances and such?  My knees can't really handle running anymore and I'm going to force myself to get a bike and start riding some of the long hills/trails I have around my area.  To get in shape and look like a Bradley Wiggins type of character.

I just wouldn't even know where to begin.

colin

« Reply #700 on: May 12, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »

Do you have any recommendations for somebody who's interested in cycling?  like for longer distances and such?  My knees can't really handle running anymore and I'm going to force myself to get a bike and start riding some of the long hills/trails I have around my area.  To get in shape and look like a Bradley Wiggins type of character.

I just wouldn't even know where to begin.
[/quote]

I guess if it was me, and I wanted a do-it-all bike for long distance, I might look at something like this:
http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #701 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »
I got one of these a couple years ago. It was like 300 bucks. Very low maintenance.

I used to ride a shitty track bike but left it at my old place when I moved. I got this one because it's perfect for just cruising around town, but should I feel the need to go back to fixed (which I kind of want to, it's fun), it's a pretty easy conversion.

Edit: Oh, since you can't make it out, it's a Fairdale with coaster brakes.

Related, I want to get a BMX bike badly.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:41:58 PM by Grampa »

Stevie Storm

• Rep: 2
« Reply #702 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
Diggin this shit back up from the depths... I've got a bike at home that I was cruising around on for a little bit but its way, way too small for me. Its probably a 50cm and Im about 6'3. Its got a full Shimano 105 groupset and a carbon fork so I'm thinking can I just pull all the stuff off this bike and just buy a bigger 58/60cm frame and swap it over? I know fuck all about bikes but I just want something cheap to get to work and uni which is about a 35km round trip. Just hoping to get a cheap $150au frame and get it poppin. Thoughts?
Gape city

colin

« Reply #703 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
Diggin this shit back up from the depths... I've got a bike at home that I was cruising around on for a little bit but its way, way too small for me. Its probably a 50cm and Im about 6'3. Its got a full Shimano 105 groupset and a carbon fork so I'm thinking can I just pull all the stuff off this bike and just buy a bigger 58/60cm frame and swap it over? I know fuck all about bikes but I just want something cheap to get to work and uni which is about a 35km round trip. Just hoping to get a cheap $150au frame and get it poppin. Thoughts?

If that was me going out with that much money to get a frame, I'm targeting a steel road bike frame from the 70s or 80s, like a Bridgestone RB-2, or something. I'd be hitting up the bike shop near me that deals in used stuff, a bike swap, and maybe craigslist (do you have the in Australia?), or eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Vintage-FUJI-SAGRES-Frame-Set-with-VALite-1769-Quad-Butted-Tubing/161732193875?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D777000%26algo%3DABA.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29980%26meid%3D4f4a599753b54b8c99bcfb36a8c0243a%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D181777955859
Japanese steel is good. The other thing I'd have to talk about with the bike shop guys is if all my current components with work with the specs on the new bike like the dropout spacing and the bottom bracket shell.
Good luck, and I hope to see some pictures of your ride.

dillanharp

« Reply #704 on: July 02, 2015, 10:21:32 PM »
I hadn't had a bike in 20 years but wanted one for jamming around the neighborhood or down to the redbox, and maybe commuting once I get more comfortable, but I got one of these for Father's Day, it was under $300...

Stevie Storm

« Reply #705 on: July 03, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice Colin, I've been searching around and come across this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Perigee-Chro-Moly-Steel-Road-Bike-Frame-Set-58cm-GC-/201378182764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2ee313366c also waiting to hear back on a few message boards to see if there is anything else around but I couldnt find much in 58cm.
Gape city

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
Do you have a picture of your current tiny bike.  That Giant sucks, but if it fits, it's better than what you have now.  Possible problem is the size of the fork.  1" vs 1 1/8".  Headset style, threaded ( like this giant) vs. non-threaded.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

Stevie Storm

« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2015, 07:04:17 AM »
Do you have a picture of your current tiny bike.  That Giant sucks, but if it fits, it's better than what you have now.  Possible problem is the size of the fork.  1" vs 1 1/8".  Headset style, threaded ( like this giant) vs. non-threaded.
Wish I actually knew shit about bikes. Like what actually makes a half decent bike or what makes a bike shit. I guess Ill keep looking and hopefully something comes up. Ill take some photos tomorrow when its bright.
Gape city

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #709 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »
I'm looking for a cheap roadbike. I'm 6'2" and want to get one because I want ride again and am moving into the city..I've checked out some stuff I see many schwin worldsportd not see what their value is. Fixies are hot in the city I'm near seems like prices have inflated.

colin

« Reply #710 on: July 08, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
Petrov - I think you're looking in the right place with that Schwinn. If you want cheap, don't get something new, or newer, because you'll get something made with shitty materials and parts. Old Trek, old Schwinn, Fuji, Raleigh, etc. is probably a good bet. This is a search for 50 to 100 USD:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&category=26&price=50..150

This is a handy frame size calculator:

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/road-bike

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #711 on: July 09, 2015, 04:42:08 AM »
It's been long long years since I last had decent bike so I finally treated myself to this :

3 speeds with internal hub.

It feels so good to go out cycling around in the city and the countryside.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #712 on: July 09, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »
that is pretty.  how much did you spend?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #713 on: July 09, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
My old Raleigh mountain bike needs new shifters. This is the 2nd set (of shimano thumb shifters) that seems to have stripped internally or something.

Last time I took it to a bike shop and the entire bill was rather pricey. Is this something I can replace easily myself? I am mechanically inclined. Or any chance i can fix the old ones?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #714 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:38 PM »

Always really liked this track. There are some other weird rambling Barrett tracks that are amazing too.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

dog boy

« Reply #715 on: July 10, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
It's been long long years since I last had decent bike so I finally treated myself to this :

3 speeds with internal hub.

It feels so good to go out cycling around in the city and the countryside.

Rad bike by the way. I have a similar style; 5 speed frankenstein with straight handle bars. I like the handle bars, but have been thinking about switching to this bent style that someone shared a few posts back. ease on the wrists would be nice, but based on some pics i've seen, it seems like they are too small for the breaking and shifting components.

colin

« Reply #716 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »
My old Raleigh mountain bike needs new shifters. This is the 2nd set (of shimano thumb shifters) that seems to have stripped internally or something.

Last time I took it to a bike shop and the entire bill was rather pricey. Is this something I can replace easily myself? I am mechanically inclined. Or any chance i can fix the old ones?

I was having this problem on the front derailleur shifter on my old mountain bike when I was riding through a bunch of snow and slush.
Turns out, it was not the shifter but the derailleur, which was just gunked up and resisting movement.
If it was me, I'd clean your derailleurs, put Tri Flow or some other type of light lubricant in the pivots, and if things still aren't working, replace the cables and housings before I replaced the shifters.
A good shop should be willing to walk you through this, but there's always Youtube.

BMCsteve

« Reply #717 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
A lot of really rad bikes of all kinds in this thread!  here are mine

Lynskey Titanium Custom for the road

Santa Cruz Superlight for the trails

And this for when I want to go a little faster
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:11:56 PM by BMCsteve »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #718 on: July 13, 2015, 05:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was having this problem on the front derailleur shifter on my old mountain bike when I was riding through a bunch of snow and slush.
Turns out, it was not the shifter but the derailleur, which was just gunked up and resisting movement.
If it was me, I'd clean your derailleurs, put Tri Flow or some other type of light lubricant in the pivots, and if things still aren't working, replace the cables and housings before I replaced the shifters.
A good shop should be willing to walk you through this, but there's always Youtube.

So apparently it was a simple gunk issue but it was in the shifter. A small lever needs to spring down to engage the teeth in the shifter. The spring gets frozen when gunked up. Very common apparently. WD-40 then lube it.

What pisses me off is that the last pair of shifters I had replaced likely were just as easily fixable.

I still need to replace some of that reinforced shift cable housing because some of the original cable split and now I can't get enough tension on the rear derailuer.

colin

« Reply #719 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So apparently it was a simple gunk issue but it was in the shifter. A small lever needs to spring down to engage the teeth in the shifter. The spring gets frozen when gunked up. Very common apparently. WD-40 then lube it.

What pisses me off is that the last pair of shifters I had replaced likely were just as easily fixable.

I still need to replace some of that reinforced shift cable housing because some of the original cable split and now I can't get enough tension on the rear derailuer.

Good job. I was wondering why your shop would've replaced the old ones so readily