Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309069 times)

tension

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
Re: bikes
« Reply #1140 on: June 27, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
"BIKES" - Tom Segura
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1141 on: June 28, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
Got this Surly Long Haul Trucker a few months ago and am really pumped.  Excited to do some bikepacking especially since my buddy just got a setup as well.  Haven't taked it terrible far yet but am hoping to get some stuff up north where it's a little cooler soon. 

I got a LHT earlier this year and seriously love it.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1142 on: July 03, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
Am I missing out by not having padded cycling shorts?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1143 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:03 AM »
Got this Surly Long Haul Trucker a few months ago and am really pumped.  Excited to do some bikepacking especially since my buddy just got a setup as well.  Haven't taked it terrible far yet but am hoping to get some stuff up north where it's a little cooler soon. 

Looks fucking dope.

How do you like the bars/barend shifters? Are they friction or indexed? I am converting an old italian race bike to a more townie/light touring setup and I really want upright bars with downtube shifters but have also considered dirtdrops and barend shifters. I just want something a bit more upright, but I still want to be comfortable going fast on the bike.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1144 on: July 05, 2019, 06:24:25 AM »
Anyone know of specific north road / cruiser style bars that are good for carrying a skateboard?

I remember seeing a video a few years ago of a dude biking and skating spots in Copenhagen. He would slot his board into the handlebars between the boar and the wheels/trucks.

I looks way more comfortable than board on the back.

Most comfortable if bike allows:

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1145 on: July 05, 2019, 06:29:36 AM »
Need a new bike lock.
Suggestions?
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1146 on: July 05, 2019, 07:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks fucking dope.

How do you like the bars/barend shifters? Are they friction or indexed? I am converting an old italian race bike to a more townie/light touring setup and I really want upright bars with downtube shifters but have also considered dirtdrops and barend shifters. I just want something a bit more upright, but I still want to be comfortable going fast on the bike.

You are in a bikes thread and this is too vague for me.  What are you converting?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1147 on: July 05, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »
Need a new bike lock.
Suggestions?
  No lock is good enough to leave your bike out over night imo.  -Not what you asked about but worth mentioning I feel.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

beatifk

« Reply #1148 on: July 05, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks fucking dope.

[close]

You are in a bikes thread and this is too vague for me.  What are you converting?

It's a shop team bike from the mid to late 90s. All the shop teams where I live in italy have them made up with some mid-to-high level groupset, decent frames with horrible shop graphics, etc. Nothing too great but it's Columbus Thron tubeset and campy mirage components and I paid less than $150 for the thing in mint condition so I'm just gonna covert it into a beater townie but I'll put a rack on it so I can go hammock camping/picnicking too.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1149 on: July 05, 2019, 09:55:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Looks fucking dope.

[close]

[close]

It's a shop team bike from the mid to late 90s. All the shop teams where I live in italy have them made up with some mid-to-high level groupset, decent frames with horrible shop graphics, etc. Nothing too great but it's Columbus Thron tubeset and campy mirage components and I paid less than $150 for the thing in mint condition so I'm just gonna covert it into a beater townie but I'll put a rack on it so I can go hammock camping/picnicking too.

Sounds good.  Post a pic when done.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1517
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1150 on: July 06, 2019, 11:46:58 PM »
Need a new bike lock.
Suggestions?

On-Guard U Lock - even if one rod is cut trough, the lock cannot be opened and they need to cut the other one too. Also very affordable. On the downside, the bike mount for the lock breaks within a year, and you have to haul some other way (backpack etc.).

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1151 on: July 16, 2019, 10:34:17 PM »
After lurking this thread on and off for a long ass time I bought a dirt cheap single speed off gumtree (Australian Craigslist), about an hour in I remembered how sore my arse can get riding a bike, any of you lads have a rough idea how soon I’ll get used to this again

dunc

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1152 on: July 17, 2019, 01:21:25 AM »
After lurking this thread on and off for a long ass time I bought a dirt cheap single speed off gumtree (Australian Craigslist), about an hour in I remembered how sore my arse can get riding a bike, any of you lads have a rough idea how soon I’ll get used to this again

Order a brooks leather seat b17 is a good one. . Spend a month breaking it in and then never an issue again.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

beatifk

« Reply #1153 on: July 17, 2019, 01:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Order a brooks leather seat b17 is a good one. . Spend a month breaking it in and then never an issue again.

Buying a "dirt cheap" bike usually means that someone doesn't want to spend $100 on a saddle...

I suggest riding through the pain as much as you can, but not to the point of actually harming yourself. I suppose what I'm saying is that soreness is normal, but chafing or bleeding is too far. If you can ride an hour a day, that's probably a good amount of time. After you push through those first few days of soreness, you won't feel it anymore.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
« Reply #1154 on: July 17, 2019, 02:09:07 AM »
as my backup bike got stolen, i am currently
trying to build a single speed bike from stuff
i find at the recycling facilities. so far, i have
already found some good stuff, but still have
to remove old parts from the frame, like that
bottom bracket. it's old, rusty and i think the
bearings are fucked up as well. so here's my
main question - how hard is it to get all of the
crucial components fit together like the chain,
the front chainring, and a freewheel sprocket?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1155 on: July 17, 2019, 02:17:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Buying a "dirt cheap" bike usually means that someone doesn't want to spend $100 on a saddle...

I suggest riding through the pain as much as you can, but not to the point of actually harming yourself. I suppose what I'm saying is that soreness is normal, but chafing or bleeding is too far. If you can ride an hour a day, that's probably a good amount of time. After you push through those first few days of soreness, you won't feel it anymore.

I appreciate both of y’all with the advise, but yeah a brooks saddle out here is $190. That’s more than I bought the bike for. I can get a cinneli seat for $45 which I think suits me, I wanna replace the one that came with anyway as the old dude I bought it from had spray painted it black, I got stuck in the rain transporting the bike home and now the paints run a bit

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1156 on: July 17, 2019, 03:58:52 AM »
Padded bike shorts will help without spending a bunch on a new saddle^

Also had my front derailleur break on my road bike yesterday after just fixing a flat.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #1157 on: July 17, 2019, 04:32:10 AM »
Padded shorts probably work fine but I would only wear them if all I was going to do was ride that day. Unless you are going for long distances a nice seat will do wonders.

Try a Terry seat. This is the one I have:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles/Mens-Endurance/Fly-Cromoly-Saddle_2

Also, buy a seat that is narrow or you will run the skin off your thighs when pedaling.

leftjab13

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1158 on: July 17, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I appreciate both of y’all with the advise, but yeah a brooks saddle out here is $190. That’s more than I bought the bike for. I can get a cinneli seat for $45 which I think suits me, I wanna replace the one that came with anyway as the old dude I bought it from had spray painted it black, I got stuck in the rain transporting the bike home and now the paints run a bit
The size of the saddle you choose will reflect how much you ride or plan to ride.  A big huge cushy saddle is great for rides below 3 miles and 1 or 2 times a week.  The more you ride the less padding you need, generally speaking. Reason is, padding moves around and if youre on the bike a lot then that will result in chaffing and other issues.  I recommend being honest with yourself on how much youre going to ride and pick a saddle that reflects it...and buy used off ebay or some shit. Next step is getting it in the right place. This is tricky because there isnt much room for error. Get it under the sit bones. 
One thing I see A LOT is higher bars than what one needs. The higher the bar the more pressure on the ass. Think of high bars as forcing you to sit on a bar stool made of a bike saddle.
There is a sweet spot but it can hurt to find it.  I never recommend someone replace a saddle until they have spent time getting the position right. 

sheckingbawl

« Reply #1159 on: July 18, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »
Stoked to be getting a new ride for the first time in a long time. Going with a gravel/touring/do-everything kind of bike, a Soma Wolverine, probably be another couple weeks at least before getting it but I'm hyped. Setting up as a 1x11 with cable discs, 700c wheels (I could go with 650b and bigger tires in the future), and so forth. I'm never gonna drive again.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1160 on: July 27, 2019, 04:58:38 PM »
  Just picked up an old rigid trek made from the good steel.  Chomoly 830 or somthing.  Really good shape pretty new ish from an old rich guy.   Theres like 8 inches of rise on the handle bars. Rides perfect.  !00$
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1161 on: August 17, 2019, 12:29:04 AM »
Seeing my last post in this thread makes it hard to believe it’s only been a month to the day but I’ve ridden practically every day since buying my last bike so I decided to upgrade to this machine

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1162 on: August 17, 2019, 12:31:41 AM »
I haven't had a bike in a few years now. I tried doing wheelies like 9 years ago on a trek mountain bike. Went over the handle bars, my tooth left a line on the sidewalk like a pebble does when you hit one. Pretty sure I got a concussion.

Yushin Okami

« Reply #1163 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:17 AM »
Here are a few pics from my ride from LA to NY earlier this year (36 days in April and May).

My bike fully packed. I ended up sending things home twice.

Route 66, which was closed to cars and with the exception of me, empty for approx 40 miles

Sunrise at my campsite on the side of the road about 20 miles from the CA/NV border

Riding along the Katy Trail through MO along the Missouri river

Couple of my favorite roads

Few of my favorite campsites

My last day was actually the best. I woke-up in Philly and had planned on riding 55 miles into Princeton, New Jersey, taking it easy for the night and finishing the last 55 or so miles into Manhattan but my body felt great that day and I made the 114 mile trip in about just over 8 hours.

We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1164 on: September 03, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
nice work, you best, did you do that whole ride not clipped in?

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1165 on: September 03, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
Hell yeah, you animal. 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1166 on: September 03, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
That's fucking dope, wish i had the drive to ride a distance like that. Photos surely don't do much justice to how much you'd have seen

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1167 on: September 03, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »
Here are a few pics from my ride from LA to NY earlier this year (36 days in April and May).

My bike fully packed. I ended up sending things home twice.

Route 66, which was closed to cars and with the exception of me, empty for approx 40 miles

Sunrise at my campsite on the side of the road about 20 miles from the CA/NV border

Riding along the Katy Trail through MO along the Missouri river

Couple of my favorite roads

Few of my favorite campsites

My last day was actually the best. I woke-up in Philly and had planned on riding 55 miles into Princeton, New Jersey, taking it easy for the night and finishing the last 55 or so miles into Manhattan but my body felt great that day and I made the 114 mile trip in about just over 8 hours.

Rad to see this, congrats. One of the things I wanna do before I die, somethin where I know I can do it but it's all about the time off work and/or funds.

Mildly wonderin which route u took through CA? Even more curious how u went through the San Bernardino mountains?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 498
« Reply #1168 on: September 03, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »
that's fucking awesome!

Yushin Okami

« Reply #1169 on: September 04, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
did you do that whole ride not clipped in?

Yep. I didn't want clips because I knew how much I'd be walking in heavy dirt or grass for camping and didn't want to deal with getting shit stuck in it. Plus, I packed as light as I could and didn't want a second pair of shoes. I started the trip with cages but took them off about 4 days in. With a heavier touring bike and about 20lbs packed on the back, I didn't feel like I lost that much power not being clipped in.

Mildly wonderin which route u took through CA? Even more curious how u went through the San Bernardino mountains?

It was day two, and one of the harder days (heat and climbing)