Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309529 times)

switchmongojazzpush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: bikes
« Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2020, 03:50:32 AM »
got a new bike and found some sick trails in my neighborhood

Wowzah! Lucky neighbourhood!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2020, 02:29:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wowzah! Lucky neighbourhood!

i loved the neighborhood for years before moving here but didn't know about the trails. then i met my neighbor and he lives here for the mountain biking. turns out it's kind of a mecha for it in this area. pretty stoked. not so good for my skating though. been biking way more lately.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1352 on: May 21, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Where do you live?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #1353 on: May 21, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
austin in an area called great hills

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1354 on: May 21, 2020, 05:41:30 PM »
More and more pros getting into cycling it seems

Reynolds had a beach cruiser looking thing and I saw video of Boo Johnson fully kitted up

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1355 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »
I saw video of Boo Johnson fully kitted up

I saw him on the road once. He's got a good cadence and can carry a good speed. I kinda want to see the day he jumps onto a proper road bike.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1356 on: May 22, 2020, 10:54:39 AM »
Anyone got suggestions on the best padded seat bike shorts or underwear they've used? I'm in the market for some ass padding these days.

Also, excluding my crosscheck for some week long tours, I've pretty much ridden fixed. I'm living on a crazy hill these days, like sea level to 800ft in 1.5 miles, so the fixie is out of the question. The thing is, While I can take apart and reassemble a fixed gear from top to bottom. I don't know a goddamn things about adjusting brakes, gears, etc. Other than Sheldon, does anyone have leads/links to good videos/tutorials on maintenance and repair for a geared bike. I'm riding an 09 crosscheck, pretty standard other than the triple chain ring.

Thanks! 
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1357 on: May 22, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »
Anyone got suggestions on the best padded seat bike shorts or underwear they've used? I'm in the market for some ass padding these days.

Also, excluding my crosscheck for some week long tours, I've pretty much ridden fixed. I'm living on a crazy hill these days, like sea level to 800ft in 1.5 miles, so the fixie is out of the question. The thing is, While I can take apart and reassemble a fixed gear from top to bottom. I don't know a goddamn things about adjusting brakes, gears, etc. Other than Sheldon, does anyone have leads/links to good videos/tutorials on maintenance and repair for a geared bike. I'm riding an 09 crosscheck, pretty standard other than the triple chain ring.

Thanks!

A friend always told me: "This is your taint we're talking about, treat it right." Basically, don't go cheap on your junk. Pearl Izumi has a 20-25% off sale site wide. Get some of their "budget" shorts. Pearl Izumi has never been a let down. Or if you don't mind being a bit spendy, my favorite bibs to ride in are my Rapha core bibs.

As far as lessons go, YouTube is a legit source as there are a ton of mechanics on there that do simple tutorials. Now it's a matter if you have the right tools for the job.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 12:32:55 PM by TastyBurrito »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1358 on: May 22, 2020, 12:52:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

A friend always told me: "This is your taint we're talking about, treat it right." Basically, don't go cheap on your junk. Pearl Izumi has a 20-25% off sale site wide. Get some of their "budget" shorts. Pearl Izumi has never been a let down. Or if you don't mind being a bit spendy, my favorite bibs to ride in are my Rapha core bibs.

As far as lessons go, YouTube is a legit source as there are a ton of mechanics on there that do simple tutorials. Now it's a matter if you have the right tools for the job.

I have a cheap pair I bought from Dick's that are meh. I also have a pair from Pearl Izumi that got delivered today that feel much better. and with their current sale both pairs were close in price
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1359 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:51 PM »

Thanks!

These Brits have tutorials on it all...

I usually get bibs from the annual Castelli warehouse sale and wear them under my cut off dickies.... faux pas for sure but unless I'm aiming for a century I keep my lycra hidden.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1360 on: May 23, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

I usually get bibs from the annual Castelli warehouse sale and wear them under my cut off dickies.... faux pas for sure but unless I'm aiming for a century I keep my lycra hidden.

hell yeah, brother. this video looks great. thanks!

I'm just getting back into riding after my body falling apart and have realized that I don't need to get gnar on the bike all the time.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1361 on: May 23, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »

Also, check out a brand called The Black Bibs. They're budget oriented and supposedly have the same performance standards as a lot of other manufacturers such as Pearl Izumi, Rapha, etc. Phil Gaimon rides for them I believe (not sure how you'd say it properly in cycling world speak) and that dude is fucking nuts. Check out his strava or youtube channel if you feel like you're getting fit on a bike and want to humble yourself.

Also, I believe that REI is blowing shit out right now and you can probably grab some bibs or shorts at fairly discounted prices. Gotta treat that taint right!

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1362 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
I started cycling last year, definitely dwindled over the winter and piled out because I’m a bartender and alcoholic most of the time. This pandemic, however, helped me cut some bad habits and get back on the bike.  I still have infinitely far to go but generally average about 100 miles a week, more if I can get some friends out for longer rides.
On a whim yesterday I went to a bike shop to pick up a few miscellaneous things, and I walked out with the Giant Defy advanced 2 in reflective black, 105, set up tubeless.  It’s fucked up.  I went on a casual ride on it yesterday just to feel it out on a regular route of mine that runs along a river trail, and even against 13mph headwinds I beat almost all of my previous segment times by a minute.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: May 24, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »
Tubeless? I’m not brave enough to go that route.

But even 100mi/week is really good. I need to get my ass up on mornings and get those miles in like you.

Is there a SLAP Strava group?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1364 on: May 24, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
  I got these "Elevenz" handlebars for my bmx and have ridden them for some time.  If you bmx and your tall I recommend them.  Since I set them up I've stopped taking my nice mtb  (Kona unit 26') out and I'm just taking my bmx on the mtb trails.  It is WAY more fun although hardly ideal ha. It helps too that I changed the gearing. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1365 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:34 AM »
Tubeless? I’m not brave enough to go that route.

But even 100mi/week is really good. I need to get my ass up on mornings and get those miles in like you.

I think there is a running group. No cycling group.I put down 310 KM last week .

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #1366 on: May 25, 2020, 12:13:59 PM »
i switched to tubeless roughly a month ago, and was surprised how much i liked it. setup was easy, and its a breeze to ride at slightly lower pressures.
biggest gamechanger was starting to use komoot for me, now i find myself searching and planning new routes.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1367 on: May 26, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »

i switched to tubeless roughly a month ago, and was surprised how much i liked it. setup was easy, and its a breeze to ride at slightly lower pressures.
biggest gamechanger was starting to use komoot for me, now i find myself searching and planning new routes.

Would love to be a part of a SLAP Strava group. I tend to post pics of skate spots and things that I find when out on rides, it'd be cool to see what others find in their areas.

@Hercules Rockefeller what kind of riding are you doing? I'm mostly on the road on 28mm slicks but have some Gravelkings for adventuring/gravel riding once the weather is more consistent and am thinking of moving into the tubeless world.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: May 26, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »
Fuck it.

Started a SLAP Strava Cycling Club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/673079

For all PALS who enjoy time on two wheels as they do four.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1369 on: May 26, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
Good looks on the Slap Strava club.

Absolute hogwash that Strava made segment leaderboards subscription only. Trying to move up the leaderboards or get top 10 on a segment used to be one of the few ways I let out my inner jock.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: May 26, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
Same with the route maker. I've gone back to MapMyride for route planning.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1371 on: May 26, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
Good looks on the Slap Strava club.

Absolute hogwash that Strava made segment leaderboards subscription only. Trying to move up the leaderboards or get top 10 on a segment used to be one of the few ways I let out my inner jock.

This is terrible news.  Not about jock tendencies, because I have a stack of trophies on there.  I ride by myself, so it's just fun to challenge yourself. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1372 on: May 27, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
I have had my mountain bike set up tubeless for a couple of  years now and it is worth it.  Easy to set up and you can run lower pressures if you want though I haven't really changed mine.  I haven't had any flats while using tubeless.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1373 on: May 28, 2020, 05:54:34 AM »
Joined.
i setup tubeless a few years ago, it wasn't fore me, I think I ran my tire pressure too high.
 I have heard that its better for mountain or gravel setups, and that the technology has only gotten better over the last few years.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1374 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

[close]

hell yeah, brother. this video looks great. thanks!

I'm just getting back into riding after my body falling apart and have realized that I don't need to get gnar on the bike all the time.

I’m on the same boat, I flipped a couple single speeds on CL but as soon as i tried fixing gearing I was lost lol

ParkTool has great educational resources both on their website and YouTube channel. Def recommend.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGCTGpvdT04Q5OLMUo0yzTOjLtv7yT47O
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1375 on: May 28, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »

i haven't hit either one of these yet, my neighbor just told me where they were. now i've got some stuff to work up too.
What bike is that? Looks nice, trying to get a mountain bike for a reasonable price but they’re so expensive.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1376 on: May 28, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Expand Quote

i haven't hit either one of these yet, my neighbor just told me where they were. now i've got some stuff to work up too.
[close]
What bike is that? Looks nice, trying to get a mountain bike for a reasonable price but they’re so expensive.
Specialized Fuse ?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #1377 on: May 28, 2020, 01:25:15 PM »
@Hercules Rockefeller what kind of riding are you doing?

roadbiking, usually climbing and descenting on not perfect roads. i`m running 25mm tubeless (which are closer to 28mm than the claimed 25mm on my rims) but i`ll switch to 28s after these are through, next spring i guess. tubeless sure feels more comfortable but i kinda had the feeling that i`m slower (maybe because its more comfortable), but my strava statistics show that i keep on racking up new PRs, so i really cant complain.

just joined the strava club too.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1378 on: May 28, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
Whoo I learned fakie front tire sliders to forward on my bike tonite.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1379 on: May 28, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  If you want a plus sized tire set up like that one a cheap option is to get a  cheap used 10 year old 27.5 and fit it with 26+ rims and tires.  Boom.