Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309529 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: bikes
« Reply #1560 on: July 02, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Digged a bit through this thread but haven't found anyone with one. Anyone have a recommendation for a bike that has a board holder ? Chocolate has one but it's sold out and I'm not really feeling the look for that one too much.
[close]

Yea those were through Fairdale,and are sold out online,. I'm sure there are others out there on Amazon or ebay.
[close]
Alright, thanks, I'll keep my eye out.

What about throwing a rack on the bike? Surly makes a nice fat front rack too. I didn't have a car for a minute and had a 30mi round trip commute, hauling a backpack, yoga mat, and skateboard. All you gotta do is bungee cord it down.

With that, I haven't worn a helmet since i was underage skating Edge. I want to get one for riding my bike. Anyone got suggestions?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Lifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1561 on: July 02, 2020, 11:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Digged a bit through this thread but haven't found anyone with one. Anyone have a recommendation for a bike that has a board holder ? Chocolate has one but it's sold out and I'm not really feeling the look for that one too much.
[close]

Yea those were through Fairdale,and are sold out online,. I'm sure there are others out there on Amazon or ebay.
[close]
[close]

What about throwing a rack on the bike? Surly makes a nice fat front rack too. I didn't have a car for a minute and had a 30mi round trip commute, hauling a backpack, yoga mat, and skateboard. All you gotta do is bungee cord it down.

With that, I haven't worn a helmet since i was underage skating Edge. I want to get one for riding my bike. Anyone got suggestions?
Yeah, just checked the Fairdale website after the previous post and saw they seperately sell skate racks too which I didn't expect. That may be the plan. Appreciate it

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1562 on: July 02, 2020, 11:30:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I have this, it has a built in visor which is a rather nice feature imo. Catlike compact’o urban.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1563 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:25 AM »
most helmets are pretty good, you get what you pay for. Make sure it fits, maybe as an adjustable crown. The more money you spend is just for brand recognition and lighter materials. Grams of weight differences can be huge differences in money. I wear my helmet when I ride on fast and long road rides, but when I rip around on my fixed gear while intoxicated I leave my helmet at home. Zero logic.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1564 on: July 02, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
most helmets are pretty good, you get what you pay for. Make sure it fits, maybe as an adjustable crown. The more money you spend is just for brand recognition and lighter materials. Grams of weight differences can be huge differences in money. I wear my helmet when I ride on fast and long road rides, but when I rip around on my fixed gear while intoxicated I leave my helmet at home. Zero logic.

Glad we’re on the same helmet program.

To echo the above, you can get a helmet with the same safety features for ~60 bucks as a 300 dollar helmet, but it might not be as sleek, aero, or lightweight. MIPS is a helmet tech that’s been shown to provide additional concussion protection and keep your brain from rattling around quite as much, worth shelling out a couple of extra bucks for peace of mind in my opinion. If you’re gonna wear it, might as well make sure it’s gonna do its job.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1565 on: July 02, 2020, 12:20:27 PM »
I don't have a helmet either. Let me add my dumb logic. I want a helmet but I have a fat ass head and want something slim so I don't look like Toad from Mario. I tried on some helmets and even one at that budget sports tore called Decathlon and most just seem gigantic. I guess there is no escaping this or is there a brand I am overlooking?
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1566 on: July 02, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »
I'm running the Giro Syntax MIPS helmet (the supreme one, bought it before the protests and tear gas stuff that's going on which bums me out)

It's comfortable and fairly light.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1567 on: July 02, 2020, 12:47:10 PM »
I'm running the Giro Syntax MIPS helmet (the supreme one, bought it before the protests and tear gas stuff that's going on which bums me out)

It's comfortable and fairly light.

sick, i was just browsing about for helmets and was stuck on this one, now you mention it here.

also, beautiful bike! looks like it's hella fun.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1568 on: July 02, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
I bought my first helmet a year ago, thought it’s a good idea when you ride on the streets. You only need one pedestrian or a car driver who has a moment and you’re fucked.

Got a cheap giro model that doesn’t look too bad.

https://www.fahrradgigant.de/bekleidung/giro-phase-mtb-helm-matt-schwarz.html

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1569 on: July 02, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
Running tubes, 700x28 80-85psi.  Our roads are super rough.  So no thanks on approaching the 90's.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1520
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #1570 on: July 03, 2020, 12:18:46 AM »
I don't have a helmet either. Let me add my dumb logic. I want a helmet but I have a fat ass head and want something slim so I don't look like Toad from Mario. I tried on some helmets and even one at that budget sports tore called Decathlon and most just seem gigantic. I guess there is no escaping this or is there a brand I am overlooking?

I have dreads, so I had the same issue. Anything that would fit looked gigantic on my head. I bought this one, since it fit great and it look normal sized on me head:
https://www.decathlon.si/kolesarska-celada-roadr-500-id_8500015.html

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1571 on: July 03, 2020, 03:57:18 AM »
I wear my helmet when I ride on fast and long road rides, but when I rip around on my fixed gear while intoxicated I leave my helmet at home. Zero logic.
Same here... it's quite dumb actually.

However I've recently learned to be infinitely more patient and try not to go 110% all the time when I ride in the city. Who would have though it's much more enjoyable, you don't arrive drenched i sweat and usually it doesn't take much more time.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #1572 on: July 03, 2020, 06:39:46 AM »
I've got a Giro Register. It's got a dial to adjust the size, which is nice.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1573 on: July 03, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »
Joined the Strava slap pals group today after my first real ride after moving to the pnw. Man I am not used to climbing anything like I climbed today.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1574 on: July 03, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »
Getting my neighbors old Univega soon. It needs work, and I'm super tempted to make it a fixie. Will update after I go through it and figure out what direction I want to go.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #1575 on: July 03, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
Joined the Strava slap pals group today after my first real ride after moving to the pnw. Man I am not used to climbing anything like I climbed today.

I live in flat ass Delaware, making me lazy without real climbs.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1576 on: July 03, 2020, 04:35:23 PM »
Getting my neighbors old Univega soon. It needs work, and I'm super tempted to make it a fixie. Will update after I go through it and figure out what direction I want to go.

Just sold my fixed gear and I’ve still got a few bits floating around. Got you on a cog, lockring, and maybe a saddle if you decide to go that route.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1577 on: July 03, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »
Hard to live with "Supreme" on your bike helmet ha.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: July 04, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »

ya, homie, i've got a big ass head too. size 7 3/4 fitted hat or down to one, maaaaybe 2 snaps on a snap back if i've shaved my head. Otherwise, it's rough.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1579 on: July 04, 2020, 02:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just moved from Jersey so was very unprepared for the climbing I did.
I live in flat ass Delaware, making me lazy without real climbs.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1580 on: July 05, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ya, homie, i've got a big ass head too. size 7 3/4 fitted hat or down to one, maaaaybe 2 snaps on a snap back if i've shaved my head. Otherwise, it's rough.
I am 7 5/8s so I know what you mean.If I could grow hair, it would be 7 3/4 for sure.

I went to about 5 bike shops the other day trying to throw money at someone and just couldn't find the right helmet. By the end of it, I got a Kask Mojito in matte black online for like a $100. It looks like a Dragon Ball Z hair or something. Hopefully it does the trick.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1581 on: July 05, 2020, 08:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I am 7 5/8s so I know what you mean.If I could grow hair, it would be 7 3/4 for sure.

I went to about 5 bike shops the other day trying to throw money at someone and just couldn't find the right helmet. By the end of it, I got a Kask Mojito in matte black online for like a $100. It looks like a Dragon Ball Z hair or something. Hopefully it does the trick.

i grabbed a giro fixture mips for $60 at the local bike shop today. Went with off white to keep the heat down. Best thing is that it's got an adjustable crown.

I wore it this morning and damn was it nice. Might have to put a brake on next because I definitely took more risks with a helmet on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:02:51 PM by IusedToSkateMore »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #1582 on: July 08, 2020, 10:52:48 AM »
Read back through the thread couple of you got the pista? Still got it? Happy with it?

I’m going to look at one this evening, probably buy it. Can’t actually ride for another month or so but they look great and it seems good price

Re bike holder, depends on the bike but I have seen people loop the trucks around the frame. Have a fiddle with that you may not need to buy anything

Loop isn’t the right word but yeah
listen to cosmic psychos

Complements4U

• Rep: 397
« Reply #1583 on: July 08, 2020, 11:53:41 AM »

Got out for a ride on my rocky mountain slayer, its been awhile

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: July 08, 2020, 01:03:55 PM »

that's your gopro? shit is badass. There's acres of MTB trails behind the place I live in now. I'll jam fixed in the city, country, or gravel, but MTB scares the shit outta me

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1585 on: July 08, 2020, 03:44:47 PM »

2Scary4Me, Complements4U

I’ve got a ton of respect for guys who rip through forest singletrack and bike parks. I’m fine taking a slide on dirt but once I get airborne or there’s big trees or rocks in the mix I’m either finding an another route or going nice and slow.

vindogg

« Reply #1586 on: July 09, 2020, 02:35:58 AM »

Mmmm that dirt looks so tacky, my closest trails just got 5 days of rain and they're clay  >:( Maybe I'm just a bitch but I cant be bothered going out and slipping and sliding down a hill getting covered in mud. Used to love that shit too.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1587 on: July 10, 2020, 02:40:10 AM »
All it does is rain here as well. then really hot and humid and then more rain.  I would really like to get out to the trails.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1588 on: July 10, 2020, 07:37:26 AM »
All it does is rain here as well. then really hot and humid and then more rain.  I would really like to get out to the trails.

Is Tsali still a hot spot?  That place was a lot of fun way back when.

@Complements4U that's a hot clip.  You're getting after it.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1589 on: July 10, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »
I think that tsali is still good.  in western NC Pisgah/Dupont has become so famous that it pretty much overrides everything else.  It is pretty amazing there though