Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 721060 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3210 on: February 04, 2021, 05:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just put in an order for my first F4s. Pretty excited to try something new after years of riding Bones SPF 84B. Thanks to all of you posting in this thread I felt I could make an informed decision for 99A, 54mm Tablets.

Hoping for a smoother ride on rough ground as I have started to skate more street again. I don’t mind losing some speed in the bowl. Bit worried about adjusting to a new feel when doing reverts but I cannot imagine it will be too difficult.
[close]

I was anti spitfire for a minute (flat spotted F4’s when they first came out) was on bones 84b just before switching to F4s again. So much better in every way. Your gonna be stoked
[close]
for me, 99a isn’t smooth on rough ground bc it’s still a hard wheel and the shape didn’t seem to completely change that. 97a I am curious to try but have been liking 95a as a middle ground/do it all. Getting my knees back into it and it’s been a good mix for the winter too.
[close]
I'm absolutely loving my 97's, they're so good on rougher surfaces and actually slide amazing with a nice bark. Total game changer, they've opened up a bunch of local spots that my 99's couldn't hack.

I concur. Now that they have broken in my 97s they are amazing. I think I might ride them all the time not just for crust. The only downside is a slight loss of speed in smooth parks compared to 99s but I have different set up for skating bigger concrete transition anyway...

kimura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #3211 on: February 04, 2021, 06:13:35 PM »
Little birdie sez Conical Full 97s in 54, 56 & 58

I hope birdie is correct. I was hoping for OG Classic but Conical Full will do.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3212 on: February 04, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »
I want some 56mm Classic Wide shape Orange colored. 97s please, little birdie.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3213 on: February 06, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »
Just got some 54mm 97a’s yesterday. I’m surprised at how much I like the slide on these.

I expected an inconsistent and untrustworthy slide, like softer wheels sometimes do where half the time they slide a modest amount and the other half the time they grip and pitch you forward. These felt consistent like they would slide the same way each time, with little variation.

The quality of the slide feels comparable to normal F4’s too. The harder ones feel like you are sliding on ice whereas the 97a feel like you are sliding on something thicker, like motor oil, but it’s the same smooth and steady slide, just a shorter slide.

Rolling, they feel like they mute the ground a bit more than 99a’s, but not as much as soft cruiser wheels do. To me, 99’s make the ground feel like crunching Frosted Flakes, 97 are like when you first put milk on Frosted Flakes and softer (like 85a) feel like the milk has settled in.

I don’t feel a huge difference in keeping speed from my 99a F4’s, but I’m running new bearings and a different brand than I’m used to, so that may factor in. (Usually use Mini logo bearings but I’m trying out Olympia)

Anyway, I love them so far, looking forward to seeing how the slide feels when they break in more.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #3214 on: February 06, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »
Just got some 54mm 97a’s yesterday. I’m surprised at how much I like the slide on these.

I expected an inconsistent and untrustworthy slide, like softer wheels sometimes do where half the time they slide a modest amount and the other half the time they grip and pitch you forward. These felt consistent like they would slide the same way each time, with little variation.

The quality of the slide feels comparable to normal F4’s too. The harder ones feel like you are sliding on ice whereas the 97a feel like you are sliding on something thicker, like motor oil, but it’s the same smooth and steady slide, just a shorter slide.

Rolling, they feel like they mute the ground a bit more than 99a’s, but not as much as soft cruiser wheels do. To me, 99’s make the ground feel like crunching Frosted Flakes, 97 are like when you first put milk on Frosted Flakes and softer (like 85a) feel like the milk has settled in.
Hi I'm
I don’t feel a huge difference in keeping speed from my 99a F4’s, but I’m running new bearings and a different brand than I’m used to, so that may factor in. (Usually use Mini logo bearings but I’m trying out Olympia)

Anyway, I love them so far, looking forward to seeing how the slide feels when they break in more.

Give them a week or two of skating and they will break in and feel even better.

Honestly.... They are the perfect wheel.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3215 on: February 06, 2021, 02:53:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Hi I'm

[close]

Give them a week or two of skating and they will break in and feel even better.

Honestly.... They are the perfect wheel.

Nice! I’m glad to hear the slide gets even better. With other brands I’ve always had the opposite experience, where they lose slide and grip more as they wear in. Urethane formulas are so interesting

ballintoohard

« Reply #3216 on: February 06, 2021, 03:03:42 PM »
To the poster asking about OG classic weight, it might be a few grams per set. I’ve weighed every spitfire shape and Tablets were the lightest, but even then it was 52 tablets compared to 54 conical fulls and they were 13g lighter, which is basically nothing.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3217 on: February 06, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »
Not gonna switch from the magic 101a Spit or 87a Keyframe combo just yet.... but curious.

Love to know how soft they really feel riding.

drinny

« Reply #3218 on: February 06, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
Not gonna switch from the magic 101a Spit or 87a Keyframe combo just yet.... but curious.

drinny

« Reply #3219 on: February 06, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3220 on: February 06, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
Need to try these 97a

And compare how they feel in classic shape to these wide 95a

@Sundaynuggets great description. When you say compared to a soft cruiser wheel are you saying 87a or so or more like a 78a?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3221 on: February 06, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
Need to try these 97a

@Sundaynuggets great description. When you say compared to a soft cruiser wheel are you saying 87a or so or more like a 78a?

Thanks! With the cereal analogy I was talking about 85a’s I’ve tried (Powell g-slides specifically but equally true of the Oj key frames I’ve tried) because even those still feel a bit crunchy on the ground.

I usually ride softer cruisers (78a Rictas or 80a Mini juice) and the 97a F4’s feel like they have almost nothing in common with those. The 78a feel more in the soft cereal category haha

With the 95a you mentioned, are you riding the NFGMFG wheels?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3222 on: February 06, 2021, 07:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Need to try these 97a

[close]

Thanks! With the cereal analogy I was talking about 85a’s I’ve tried (Powell g-slides specifically but equally true of the Oj key frames I’ve tried) because even those still feel a bit crunchy on the ground.

I usually ride softer cruisers (78a Rictas or 80a Mini juice) and the 97a F4’s feel like they have almost nothing in common with those. The 78a feel more in the soft cereal category haha

yes the NFG 95a but the vee shape so super wide and square . and i also have 87a keyframes. so trying to place within your analogy. i have been attracted to the classic shape lately so want to try regardless, but wondering if theyll be serviceable as a transportation type wheel too. something about those classic shape and how they wear down

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #3223 on: February 06, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Need to try these 97a

[close]

[close]
yes the NFG 95a but the vee shape so super wide and square . and i also have 87a keyframes. so trying to place within your analogy. i have been attracted to the classic shape lately so want to try regardless, but wondering if theyll be serviceable as a transportation type wheel too. something about those classic shape and how they wear down

I gotcha. How do those NFG slide? I have some of their normal formula V and Square shapes and they feel awesome but don’t slide as well as I would like. I imagine their 95a’s don’t slide any better, but how do they feel rolling on crust?

The classic shape is interesting! I have never skated it (I usually skate conical full) but I like the classic shape so far.

As far as transportation wheels go, it’s hard to say. I’m 41 and skate long distances around my city a lot (4-8 miles 3 or 4 times a week) and my legs/feet don’t feel great skating anything harder than 85a for distances like that, especially because much of it is crusty. I carry 99a’s around with me to switch out to if I stop and skate some ledges or something in my travels. So I will likely use these 97a’s for neighborhood skating and hitting ledge or slidey spots nearby, but probably won’t use them for anything longer than maybe 2 or 3 mile travels (roughly 20-30 blocks for me)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:50:26 PM by Sundaynuggets »

sketchyrider

« Reply #3224 on: February 10, 2021, 05:48:05 AM »
finally gave f4's a try after hearing about them, spent several sessions on them now.

first thing i'd say is they aren't wildly different than the bones wheels i'd been using. i noticed differences for sure, but it seems high-rebound wheels are pretty similar, they offer a lot of performance/speed.

that being said there was a lot to like. worked well on the sidewalk as well as the park, slides are effortless, no gashes from doing crooked grinds.

so far the only downside: i haven't quite been able to keep the speed in a concrete pool, coming from bones spf conicals to radial slim 101's in the same size (measurements were really close). i'm not sure if it's because of the wheel formula and/or shape is slowing me down, or if i am just afraid to slip out on a less grippy wheel. maybe i would have been better off with the regular conicals, but they seem to be hard to find.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3225 on: February 10, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »
finally gave f4's a try after hearing about them, spent several sessions on them now.

first thing i'd say is they aren't wildly different than the bones wheels i'd been using. i noticed differences for sure, but it seems high-rebound wheels are pretty similar, they offer a lot of performance/speed.

that being said there was a lot to like. worked well on the sidewalk as well as the park, slides are effortless, no gashes from doing crooked grinds.

so far the only downside: i haven't quite been able to keep the speed in a concrete pool, coming from bones spf conicals to radial slim 101's in the same size (measurements were really close). i'm not sure if it's because of the wheel formula and/or shape is slowing me down, or if i am just afraid to slip out on a less grippy wheel. maybe i would have been better off with the regular conicals, but they seem to be hard to find.

The weird thing is the 101s have seemed to be inconsistent in the feel and the slide, but the 99s have always been so "normal" and all felt the same, from the many many sets I have had.

I know others have said something like this too, but it is just one of those things, some perceptions of performance will vary depending on where you skate, what else is going on, etc.

I had seen supply almost dry up again in Australia, (as well as some other countries) but from following a lot of US shops on Instagram, there have been so many solid drops of product that I think it really depends on where you are, as to what is available.  A lot of people do order from other countries, but I know many shops don't put stock online and only have it for walk in / local customers too, not that you need more wheels right now, but it is worth hitting up local shops to ask about them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3226 on: February 11, 2021, 07:04:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The weird thing is the 101s have seemed to be inconsistent in the feel and the slide, but the 99s have always been so "normal" and all felt the same, from the many many sets I have had.

I know others have said something like this too, but it is just one of those things, some perceptions of performance will vary depending on where you skate, what else is going on, etc.

I had seen supply almost dry up again in Australia, (as well as some other countries) but from following a lot of US shops on Instagram, there have been so many solid drops of product that I think it really depends on where you are, as to what is available.  A lot of people do order from other countries, but I know many shops don't put stock online and only have it for walk in / local customers too, not that you need more wheels right now, but it is worth hitting up local shops to ask about them.

word thanks for the reply.

i've posted about it before but i am really just trying to work with an "ATV" setup that works on everything, which is why i tried out the f4's. i went with the 101's coming from the spf 104's, not sure if i would really want to go down to 99a, even though i know they are the preferred one on here.

honestly though the 101a radial slims seem almost perfect, it was just in the super tight tranny of the pool that i felt "slower" but it could have just been me being a poosey, not sure of the limits of the new wheels. i knew how much pressure i could put on the spfs before i'd end up on my ass.

i'll check local shops to see if any regular conicals are around, local scene kinda sucks though. they do seem like a hard shape to find.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 349
« Reply #3227 on: February 11, 2021, 09:29:37 PM »
new KB f4's ; 
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3228 on: February 11, 2021, 09:37:34 PM »
Am I the only one who misses the older Spitfire graphic wheel? Each pro had their own graphic / wheel color, more than just their name.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3229 on: February 12, 2021, 02:21:53 AM »
Am I the only one who misses the older Spitfire graphic wheel? Each pro had their own graphic / wheel color, more than just their name.

I had a look at the current Spitfire catalog which is out - Spring 2021 Drop 1 Delivery 1, and almost thought nothing of it.  I know covid issues and production dramas but one pro wheel (two shapes) and one other new variation and that is it?  I didn't even think about posting here, but after you put this up, I also remembered another thing from that time.

I had some dudes that wanted a certain size and shape, but didn't like the dude whose pro wheel it was, so were having a whinge about those wheels.  Now to me this is not an issue - I would ride anything and if I wasn't keen on the graphic I would just machine it off, but whatever to those dudes - Spitfires are Spitfires, so they are good no matter what.

Those Cardiel classic full 54.5 wheels were amazing - still have at least one set new in packaging too, but they are the just the right size, shape, especially when they wear down a couple of mm.

I also realised what you did with embedding images to, and didn't know that was possible.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

Spring 2021 Drop 1 Delivery 1

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3230 on: February 20, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »

Is anyone able to tell whether these are Spit conicals or conical fulls? Any size estimates? Seem to be on the smaller side to me, perhaps 52?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #3231 on: February 20, 2021, 01:46:05 PM »
They kinda look like tablets to me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1021
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3232 on: February 20, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
They kinda look like tablets to me

Those orange tablets look sick (groan) bummer they're not 51s

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3233 on: February 20, 2021, 02:02:31 PM »
Hands down the best wheels in the game

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3234 on: February 20, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »

Is anyone able to tell whether these are Spit conicals or conical fulls? Any size estimates? Seem to be on the smaller side to me, perhaps 52?
52mm tablets
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3235 on: February 21, 2021, 01:27:16 AM »

These could be radial slims

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3236 on: February 21, 2021, 02:46:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
52mm tablets

That's it I think, thanks!

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3237 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Tried some Autobahn Dual DUro 100A 54 mm. Hard as rocks, so I'm baclk someto F4 99's 54mm Tablets.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3238 on: February 24, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
Not gonna lie, just saw these and had to stop what I was doing and fan out for a minute...

Zark

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3239 on: February 24, 2021, 09:47:00 PM »
FF O.G. CLASSICS 55 MM

Like a fatter conical full.