Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 702333 times)

rocklobster and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #3150 on: January 05, 2021, 07:18:23 AM »
Last couple of posts totally convinced me the F4 97a are exactly what I have been looking for. I had my mind set on Conical Fulls though and the only 97a available in Germany are Classics. How much difference does it really make?

Unless they have more out that I haven't seen, they are only in classics in 54 and 56mm in the 97 duro, so almost the same width as conical full, but a rounder shape down to the riding surface, which is not a worry really and still skate well.  I prefer the conical full when new or the classic shape once they have worn down some, but classics are still an easy wheel to skate, as used by many pro riders and regular skaters.

The shape guide:

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #3151 on: January 05, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »
Thanks, I thought it was just Euro supply lagging behind. I had checked the guide, that’s where I got the idea of trying Conical Fulls from. Starting out with a 7 mm wider riding surface at 56 mm size compared to Classics really appeals to me. I guess I’ll wait and see if they release more soon.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3152 on: January 07, 2021, 04:37:42 AM »
Thanks, I thought it was just Euro supply lagging behind. I had checked the guide, that’s where I got the idea of trying Conical Fulls from. Starting out with a 7 mm wider riding surface at 56 mm size compared to Classics really appeals to me. I guess I’ll wait and see if they release more soon.

I think a lot of people have been wanting or are waiting for the 97 in a wider profile, so who knows if or when that will happen.

From taking the old formula Spitfire wheels to a few decent hills and power sliding for half a day, the wheels would be a whole lot smaller, but these Formula Four wheels just don't wear down anywhere near that, as I found out when I thought I could take some bigger wheels down a few mm, otherwise I would have been keen for the 56 mm classics and gone on a mission to get them down to 52 or so.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #3154 on: January 11, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
@arrbee

Cheers dude. I found most of those while google questing.

I'm specifically looking for 51mm 99a Radial Slims. I can't skate often til spring anyway so I'll keep looking. If not, maybe I'll try the 101s. :)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3157 on: January 11, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »
these 99a og classics are feeling grippier than usual for an f4

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3158 on: January 11, 2021, 09:11:25 PM »

You could resell them as 97 duro!

Think of all the people who want wider 97 duro wheels and don't want the classics, currently the only shape that they come in right now.

Just a thought anyway, but more curious than anything else about the new 97 duro as I am yet to see or skate any, but still have plenty of older OG formula in all duro and size options.

I am thinking the bigger / wider seem stickier too. What size are they?

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3159 on: January 11, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »
i'm just dropping in to say that this wheel is the most best. still love them and they look so good i'd like to have a house built out of them so i can always see that creamy bone smooth texture. never stop making these
even the steven

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3160 on: January 11, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Think of all the people who want wider 97 duro wheels and don't want the classics, currently the only shape that they come in right now.

Just a thought anyway, but more curious than anything else about the new 97 duro as I am yet to see or skate any, but still have plenty of older OG formula in all duro and size options.

55mm. previously had 55mm tablets, which have half a mm wider riding surface. they slid better!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3161 on: January 12, 2021, 03:36:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
55mm. previously had 55mm tablets, which have half a mm wider riding surface. they slid better!

They might be better as a keeper for slippery ground, if they are that much different.

I know they do harden up some more as they get older too, which is why I like old wheels more than brand new ones, but if they are not actually 99 duro, then you are always going to have a struggle with them compared to other 99 duro wheels.

As you said, interesting the sizes are almost comparable, tablet 55 x 33 / 23 riding surface and the og classic 55 x 33 / 22.5 riding surface, that you had before, so they should perform pretty much the same in almost everything.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3162 on: January 14, 2021, 06:17:18 PM »
Finally put a bit of time in on the 97s. They are noticeably slower than 99s. Going to be good for crust and curbs but bog a little in the park for sure.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3163 on: January 14, 2021, 06:21:04 PM »
Finally put a bit of time in on the 97s. They are noticeably slower than 99s. Going to be good for crust and curbs but bog a little in the park for sure.

I got the same feeling. Rode the 56mm. They gripped nicely in the park when there was a touch of moisture in the air. But most def felt slower than my 55mm 99a tablets.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:29:39 PM by TastyBurrito »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3164 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »
they seem to wear down at the same  rate as the 99a formula fours? crust n curb what I am specifically looking at them for. But comparatively I’ve really liked the 95a NFG V I’m riding. Attracted to the classic shape especially for an egg

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3165 on: January 14, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
Not enough time on them to say. But my guess is they will be even more flat spot resistant but wear a little quicker.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #3166 on: January 15, 2021, 02:57:46 AM »
Where I live it's essentially all crust even some of the parks.

Skated my 99s yesterday after skating the 97 for 2 months. Dam it felt so rattle to me. I'm just so used to the 97s now don't think I can ever go back. in my opinion if your an exclusive crust guy. These are your wheel.

Expand Quote
[close]
they seem to wear down at the same  rate as the 99a formula fours? crust n curb what I am specifically looking at them for. But comparatively I’ve really liked the 95a NFG V I’m riding. Attracted to the classic shape especially for an egg

Haven't bought a non spitfire wheel in years and it annoys me. What's the slide like on then nfg?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3167 on: January 15, 2021, 03:26:02 PM »
Even F4s get chunks taken out of them pretty easily. All wheels are nothing but dust in the wind.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #3168 on: January 15, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »

52mm 99du OG classics

pretty psyched to skate this wheel for the next few months. 

really like that these are skinnier than a Conical , but with a little more riding surface. should be a pretty stable feeling wheel .

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #3169 on: January 15, 2021, 04:31:28 PM »
^^whoa those are rad

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3170 on: January 15, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
And the inside graphic stays clean too.

Nice wheels!!!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #3171 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »

52mm 99du OG classics

pretty psyched to skate this wheel for the next few months. 

really like that these are skinnier than a Conical , but with a little more riding surface. should be a pretty stable feeling wheel .

Interesting
Be cool to hear how they workout. I’m looking for the biggest wheel I get with venture lot’s/thunder 147s

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3172 on: January 19, 2021, 07:03:57 AM »
Spent all weekend on the 97s. Like all F4s they really start to shine once you've torn them up a little. Anyway, these are good wheels. You are only sacrificing a little slide and a bit of speed in smooth parks. So if you like crust and you're not a super techie ledgetarian you might like these. I skated some pretty fucked up ground recently and they were worked great with no noticeable wear.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3173 on: January 19, 2021, 07:12:32 AM »
Spent all weekend on the 97s. Like all F4s they really start to shine once you've torn them up a little. Anyway, these are good wheels. You are only sacrificing a little slide and a bit of speed in smooth parks. So if you like crust and you're not a super techie ledgetarian you might like these. I skated some pretty fucked up ground recently and they were worked great with no noticeable wear.

Best description:

super techie ledgetarian

:)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3174 on: January 19, 2021, 07:17:23 AM »
are they noticeably wearing down and is the riding surface getting a bit wider? That could be a sweet spot like you said, once they’re torn up a bit and the riding surface gets a bit more stable

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3175 on: January 21, 2021, 08:41:29 AM »
Not noticeably worn down yet just feeling more broken in. The riding surface will get wider when they wear due to the 'classic shape.' Even did a few blunt slides on them, which to me is the true test of a wheels slideablity.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3176 on: January 21, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
anyone got any big spitfires (originally 56-60mm) that are worn down to 53 or lower that they are willing to sell? cant wear them down myself due to truck height
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #3177 on: January 21, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
anyone got any big spitfires (originally 56-60mm) that are worn down to 53 or lower that they are willing to sell? cant wear them down myself due to truck height

Why dont you just get some 53s... if you want the width just get conical fulls?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3178 on: January 21, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

width and riding surface would be much smaller with 53s. i just had a set that i got to 49mm and they werent as wide as i thought they would get
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3179 on: January 21, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
width and riding surface would be much smaller with 53s. i just had a set that i got to 49mm and they werent as wide as i thought they would get

I love the worn down bigger wheels and have lots, but am in Australia, so not really a viable option.

There are usually quite a few guys here I help with bigger new wheels and I swap back to get their old wheels when they are done, so 56mm classics at 52mm are perfect for width and riding surface.  Even the conical full new at 53 or 54 are still not quite as nice as the classic shape when worn down, as well as taking an angle grinder to reshape big fat squared off or sharp edged 58 conical full to a slightly more radial shape, which works really well.

If you knew a few dudes like that, you would be set for wheels.