Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 720402 times)

switchfakie

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #5250 on: June 25, 2023, 03:51:25 PM »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5251 on: June 25, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yo what the fuck, spitfire doesnt sell any 60 mm (non classic shape) wheels anymore? went on their website and they had nothing
[close]

So I guess if you were looking only at the current catalog release directly on their site, I can easily understand how you might think the wheel sizes are a bit limited.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/

If you look at the options for all the wheel shapes and sizes, you might see there are other options that are just not currently in this release catalog, which even then is by no means everything that is released or available.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/wheel-shapes/

From this and from what I have looked for and found online in shops, there are still Conical Full 60mm in both 99 and 97 duro options, OG Classic wheels in 60 mm 99 duro and what might not be currently available right this minute, but the Radial Full 60 mm wheels.

That is besides the Classic 60 mm which have come out in 99 and 101 duros, or the original urethane 60 mm Classic which is a big squared off wheel, not round at all in shape.

As others had said there is also currently the Kader Radial Full 59 mm and quite a few in 58 mm, which is not far off, but all up I think the interest in wider wheels of more moderate diameters is what is trending, not so much the bigger diameter wheels, so more so the 54 through 56 sizes, than 60 mm sizes.

Thinking about past releases of Spitfire wheels, there never really have been that many options in the more recent past (think last decade or so) anyway in 60 mm size or bigger, mainly the rounder Classics, the thin square OG Classics, then the original formula wider Conical shaped Classics and once there were Big head and Multiball graphics on 59, 61 and 63 mm sizes, but that might even pre date the Formula Four wheel completely, along with the Street burners and Park burners.

I feel like there always have been more options in 60 mm wheel sizes from other brands like Bones / Powell and Santa Cruz / OJ / Slimeballs in particular, but most more diverse wheel brands have a 60 mm wheel here or there in the lineup, in much the same way that most deck brands had a token vert skater in their lineup over the years too.  Not to say that only vert dudes ride 60 mm wheels either, but that is just one observation.

* Not trying to sound like a dick or anything either, just looking at all the options in wheels and there don't seem to have been that many 60 mm over the years anyway.
[close]

you dont sound like a dick

i looked at this page

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

which is what came up for me on google when i searched for the formula four wheel catalog - i wanted the f4 catalog specifically. its so stupid to me they have like 3 different catalogs on the same website & that the formula 4 sizes between them are different

this would be my first 60mm wheel, ive been on the 54-56 wave for the past 3/4 years but recently started skating transition a lot which is why i wanna bump it up

i remembered t-funk skating those massive f4 60 classics in a few of his parts a few years ago, so i assumed that theyd still be around given the big wheel fad

like you said, i did notice that wide wheels are becoming more the thing as opposed to bigger diameter wheels. but again, i wanted the bigger diameter for transition so i wouldnt have to pump so hard all the time

That old size and spec page is funny, given how old and outdated it is, but I guess it is still there, just not linked from the main page anymore.

When I set up a vert board when I worked at an indoor park with a vert ramp it sure was fun, but a lot of the vert guys were using 58s more than 60 mm wheels.  When asked, some said it was too hard to get 60 mm wheels in the shape they wanted, but they had way more options in 58 mm, which makes sense.

It is still not quite the 60 mm wheel, but 58 mm is pretty close and there might be more options, if you didn't want the Classic shape, which do work well as I have a set of the 60 mm Classics for that board that barely got used, but I am not really much of a big ramp skater anymore either.

If you want more grip, the wider wheels definitely give that, along with the 97s which some of the older guys use on the skatelite surfaces, but more people say the 99s are the go if you are not so worried about slipping out.

I guess it depends on what is available to you in whatever country or continent you live on too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bombsaway86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #5252 on: June 25, 2023, 06:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yo what the fuck, spitfire doesnt sell any 60 mm (non classic shape) wheels anymore? went on their website and they had nothing
[close]

So I guess if you were looking only at the current catalog release directly on their site, I can easily understand how you might think the wheel sizes are a bit limited.

If you look at the options for all the wheel shapes and sizes, you might see there are other options that are just not currently in this release catalog, which even then is by no means everything that is released or available.

From this and from what I have looked for and found online in shops, there are still Conical Full 60mm in both 99 and 97 duro options, OG Classic wheels in 60 mm 99 duro and what might not be currently available right this minute, but the Radial Full 60 mm wheels.

That is besides the Classic 60 mm which have come out in 99 and 101 duros, or the original urethane 60 mm Classic which is a big squared off wheel, not round at all in shape.

As others had said there is also currently the Kader Radial Full 59 mm and quite a few in 58 mm, which is not far off, but all up I think the interest in wider wheels of more moderate diameters is what is trending, not so much the bigger diameter wheels, so more so the 54 through 56 sizes, than 60 mm sizes.

Thinking about past releases of Spitfire wheels, there never really have been that many options in the more recent past (think last decade or so) anyway in 60 mm size or bigger, mainly the rounder Classics, the thin square OG Classics, then the original formula wider Conical shaped Classics and once there were Big head and Multiball graphics on 59, 61 and 63 mm sizes, but that might even pre date the Formula Four wheel completely, along with the Street burners and Park burners.

I feel like there always have been more options in 60 mm wheel sizes from other brands like Bones / Powell and Santa Cruz / OJ / Slimeballs in particular, but most more diverse wheel brands have a 60 mm wheel here or there in the lineup, in much the same way that most deck brands had a token vert skater in their lineup over the years too.  Not to say that only vert dudes ride 60 mm wheels either, but that is just one observation.

* Not trying to sound like a dick or anything either, just looking at all the options in wheels and there don't seem to have been that many 60 mm over the years anyway.
[close]

i looked at this page

which is what came up for me on google when i searched for the formula four wheel catalog - i wanted the f4 catalog specifically. its so stupid to me they have like 3 different catalogs on the same website & that the formula 4 sizes between them are different

this would be my first 60mm wheel, ive been on the 54-56 wave for the past 3/4 years but recently started skating transition a lot which is why i wanna bump it up

i remembered t-funk skating those massive f4 60 classics in a few of his parts a few years ago, so i assumed that theyd still be around given the big wheel fad

like you said, i did notice that wide wheels are becoming more the thing as opposed to bigger diameter wheels. but again, i wanted the bigger diameter for transition so i wouldnt have to pump so hard all the time
[close]

That old size and spec page is funny, given how old and outdated it is, but I guess it is still there, just not linked from the main page anymore.

When I set up a vert board when I worked at an indoor park with a vert ramp it sure was fun, but a lot of the vert guys were using 58s more than 60 mm wheels.  When asked, some said it was too hard to get 60 mm wheels in the shape they wanted, but they had way more options in 58 mm, which makes sense.

It is still not quite the 60 mm wheel, but 58 mm is pretty close and there might be more options, if you didn't want the Classic shape, which do work well as I have a set of the 60 mm Classics for that board that barely got used, but I am not really much of a big ramp skater anymore either.

If you want more grip, the wider wheels definitely give that, along with the 97s which some of the older guys use on the skatelite surfaces, but more people say the 99s are the go if you are not so worried about slipping out.

I guess it depends on what is available to you in whatever country or continent you live on too.

58s are perfect for vert, 60s feel massive. I recently stepped down to 56s and am still able to do everything I could on 58s. I’m loving the 56s because they accelerate quicker and still go fast enough that I can blast airs

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5253 on: June 26, 2023, 08:31:30 AM »
Got my first set of 97s today and they're 56mm. Only tried them on my frontyard and they felt pretty good to me. I'm excited to wear them out and see how they feel later. Atm I'm so beaten I cant skate anything really.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #5254 on: June 26, 2023, 10:14:38 AM »
Got my first set of 97s today and they're 56mm. Only tried them on my frontyard and they felt pretty good to me. I'm excited to wear them out and see how they feel later. Atm I'm so beaten I cant skate anything really.

I’ve been looking at maybe getting some 97 Radial Fulls. Excited to see how they work for you.

pops

« Reply #5255 on: June 26, 2023, 11:44:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve been looking at maybe getting some 97 Radial Fulls. Excited to see how they work for you.

I'll report back as soon as I get to skate them properly. I got the Radial Fulls and they're a little wider than my 56mm CFulls. I never had radials before and I already love the looks.

switchfakie

« Reply #5256 on: June 26, 2023, 03:19:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i looked at this page

[close]

damn thats some useful insight

always amazed people can tell the difference between 2mm differentials where as I can only notice it at around a 4mm difference

after years of ledge skating, my only outlook on the wheels issue was big wheels = faster but heavier. i never really thought about vert skaters really caring about the shape of a wheel

also i guess you're right in that there is a threshold in usefullness of the size of the wheel

maybe i just need to learn how to pump better to get more use of my 56/58mm's bc it seems like all the transition bois are at that size

pops

« Reply #5257 on: June 27, 2023, 06:40:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll report back as soon as I get to skate them properly. I got the Radial Fulls and they're a little wider than my 56mm CFulls. I never had radials before and I already love the looks.

Only had about 15mins to skate around the town. This may not be new information but personal first impressions are that on smooth asphalt these roll as good as my 99s, handle crusty surfaces a bit better and feel slightly muted compared to 99s.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #5258 on: July 06, 2023, 09:38:52 PM »
Ok, i gave in and picked up the kader 59s. The marketing with the tray got me, I just needed it. These are 3mm larger than anything ive ever skated lol What deck and truck setups are you all skating these with?

Hoping to avoid risers, so im guessing wheel wells or indy stds might be in my future

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5259 on: July 06, 2023, 09:54:06 PM »
Ok, i gave in and picked up the kader 59s. The marketing with the tray got me, I just needed it. These are 3mm larger than anything ive ever skated lol What deck and truck setups are you all skating these with?

Hoping to avoid risers, so im guessing wheel wells or indy stds might be in my future

I feel like, depending on your weight, wheel wells AND Indy standard/hollows to avoid risers. Polar's probably got something for ya
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #5260 on: July 06, 2023, 10:15:01 PM »
Aren't Indy stage 4 higher than the standards? Would try these if that's the case and you're up for a set-up change to accommodate the Kaders.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5261 on: July 06, 2023, 10:43:16 PM »
Aren't Indy stage 4 higher than the standards? Would try these if that's the case and you're up for a set-up change to accommodate the Kaders.
they arent
id suggest wheels wells, high concave decks, or wax
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

pops

« Reply #5262 on: July 06, 2023, 11:55:47 PM »
Skated some asphalt spots yesterday, both smooth and crusty. I'm really starting to like these 97s more and more now. I also feel like they go faster now that they're worn down a bit. These wheels unlocked skating hard wheels again for me but cant go back to 99s anymore.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5263 on: July 07, 2023, 12:07:45 AM »
Skated my Classics 55mm 99 and I'm in love. My OG classics were by 49mm and slow af and catching every possible pebble and not keeping speed at all.
Now I'm in heaven.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5264 on: July 07, 2023, 01:07:19 AM »

So without doing too much looking back over your old posts, what size wheels have you had up to before?  Remember if you had 56 mm, it would only be 1.5 mm higher from the middle of the axle to deck / ground so not that much, but every mm can feel like a mile sometimes to some people too.

Also you are on Ace AF1 trucks or do you have other trucks on other setups besides what you posted?

One guy I know just set up AF1 60s with some 58 mm Conical Full wheels on a DLX 8.75 deck, which I would have thought would have a ton of wheelbite but he is making it work as is, no risers.

My thought would have at least been 1 - 2 mm risers (or 1/8" being more common), as I have on another board with AF1 trucks and what would most likely be 57 to 58 mm wheels (were bigger but now worn down) and that works fine on the rubber 2 mm pads I put on that board.

By cutting out wheel wells on another board, I don't need risers at all for that same size truck to wheel ratio, but everyone is different.

Depends what you have available or what you want to buy, but I would be setting up something you already have first just feeling it out and seeing if any more height is needed, then add a thin riser or something just to try a mm or so more, or run those wheels on something like the Heroin egg if it has wheel wells just to see.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 188
« Reply #5265 on: July 07, 2023, 09:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So without doing too much looking back over your old posts, what size wheels have you had up to before?  Remember if you had 56 mm, it would only be 1.5 mm higher from the middle of the axle to deck / ground so not that much, but every mm can feel like a mile sometimes to some people too.

Also you are on Ace AF1 trucks or do you have other trucks on other setups besides what you posted?

One guy I know just set up AF1 60s with some 58 mm Conical Full wheels on a DLX 8.75 deck, which I would have thought would have a ton of wheelbite but he is making it work as is, no risers.

My thought would have at least been 1 - 2 mm risers (or 1/8" being more common), as I have on another board with AF1 trucks and what would most likely be 57 to 58 mm wheels (were bigger but now worn down) and that works fine on the rubber 2 mm pads I put on that board.

By cutting out wheel wells on another board, I don't need risers at all for that same size truck to wheel ratio, but everyone is different.

Depends what you have available or what you want to buy, but I would be setting up something you already have first just feeling it out and seeing if any more height is needed, then add a thin riser or something just to try a mm or so more, or run those wheels on something like the Heroin egg if it has wheel wells just to see.

Im usually skating 53-54s, but have been having fun on 56 radial fulls with AF1s lately. 56 seems to me like the upper limit for semi-loose trucks on a 53mm truck. So ill probably end up taking it as an opportunity to try the wood risers and improve my pool skating.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #5266 on: July 11, 2023, 09:36:31 AM »
Anyone else try the dual duo sapphires yet? Seems like we've had one bad review.... Curious to hear more... would like to see an edit of them being skated...

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #5267 on: July 11, 2023, 01:01:39 PM »

"Kevin Nice Try" does one on utube...... he doesn't go into the slide at all though, so kinda pointless.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
  • ow
« Reply #5268 on: July 11, 2023, 01:54:28 PM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5269 on: July 12, 2023, 10:42:03 PM »
Tried F4 97 (classics 53mm), can't believe how awful they feel.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pops

« Reply #5270 on: July 13, 2023, 04:18:07 AM »

How so? I have Radials Fulls and after broken in they felt almost like the 99s but grippier.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #5271 on: July 13, 2023, 06:05:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How so? I have Radials Fulls and after broken in they felt almost like the 99s but grippier.
Too sticky for my liking
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5272 on: July 13, 2023, 12:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Too sticky for my liking

Hi there, I'm new to slap but just wanted to chime in and say its cool reading everyone's differing opinions on the same products. I've been riding Spitfire F4 97a Classics 53mm for the past few months and really like them. I've been mainly just getting the miles in cruising around the streets (I'm in the UK, so have ridden them across a fair mix of surfaces) but I have tried them in a few skateparks too. I do find them very sticky on smooth concrete but still enjoy them on almost all other surfaces. I've noticed that considering they don't actually feel all that soft (and their smallish size- probably worn to about 52ish or just under now), I find that they can handle considerably rougher ground than other similar sized classic shaped wheels. For example, when I've just gone for it and ploughed through fast on really crappy surfaces like weathered concrete/bricks etc. (basically anything where I would expect to almost get pitched off the board), I tend to find they kind of wake-up and just sort bounce over it without too much drama. It sounds a bit too obvious but to me it's almost like you have to really go hard/risky on them to get the advantage of the softer duro perhaps? Until then they feel a bit dead.
Also, as a side note I tend to prefer the classic shape over conical/tablet shapes in general so I like that Spitfire has me covered with that size and shape in the 97 duro.
PS I'm 37 years old and skate a few times a week cruising around (tricks wise I'm more or less a beginner too) so not exactly killing it!
Cheers all :)

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #5273 on: July 18, 2023, 01:15:38 PM »
https://www.concretedisciples.com/shop/skateboard-wheels/spitfire-wheels/the-spitfire-f4-og-classic-58mm-skateboard-wheels/

Just found some 58mm F4 OG Classics, says there’s two sets in stock. Go get ‘em!

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #5274 on: July 18, 2023, 08:44:54 PM »
Flatspotted my second pair in a row of 52mm 99 duro classic f4s. I’ll get another pair though. It will take three strikes to have me looking at other options.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5275 on: July 18, 2023, 10:07:23 PM »
You'll have a hard time flatspotting Bones X99 Formula

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5276 on: July 19, 2023, 07:13:27 PM »
Cross posting from photos/video > Pedro delfino vlog. Talks about conical full and radial full differences with sidewall shape and cracks

al_cvbrera

« Reply #5277 on: July 21, 2023, 08:46:10 AM »
anyone else here actually like the spitfire OG formula? yeah they had more grip but it didn’t affect my skating at all. they just had a more controlled slide for me. although i like formula 4’s above any other wheel, sometimes they can feel too slick if that makes sense. after trying the classic formula, i formed the opinion that people just go for formula fours because its marketed as the more premium product.

i was fussy at first when i tried the classic formula, and as time went on, i realized i could still do the same things as i could on them compared to if i was running f4’s.

if anyone’s hesitant about trying the classic formula, give it a shot! plus they’re cheaper.

i tried them out in the classic shape, btw. i’d recommend others do so as well. idek if they offer them in any other shape like a conical or something, but if they did, i would stay away from them. them in the classic shape would be the right amount of grip, but in a conical shape would be too much imo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5278 on: July 21, 2023, 08:35:10 PM »
anyone else here actually like the spitfire OG formula? yeah they had more grip but it didn’t affect my skating at all. they just had a more controlled slide for me. although i like formula 4’s above any other wheel, sometimes they can feel too slick if that makes sense. after trying the classic formula, i formed the opinion that people just go for formula fours because its marketed as the more premium product.

i was fussy at first when i tried the classic formula, and as time went on, i realized i could still do the same things as i could on them compared to if i was running f4’s.

if anyone’s hesitant about trying the classic formula, give it a shot! plus they’re cheaper.

i tried them out in the classic shape, btw. i’d recommend others do so as well. idek if they offer them in any other shape like a conical or something, but if they did, i would stay away from them. them in the classic shape would be the right amount of grip, but in a conical shape would be too much imo

Re original formula wheels

I still have quite a few sets on boards and yes, from skating them for so long before Formula Four came out, I was very used to them and did like the feel of them, often flatspots and all, but they usually skated out easily enough and that was just part of what they were.

From new, I did have to go very easy on them but once they aged a bit or wore in, I didn't have any issues with them and they skated great for everything for me.

To say we are all so spoilt for good wheels now might be true, but for anyone, finding something that works for you and does what you want is the main thing.

I liked the 56 to 57 mm sizes the most, which were more like Classic Full shapes from back then, Bighead or other graphic options but almost always the same shapes, as well as having quite a few sets of 54 mm Bigheads too on more tech setups.

Still have quite a few sets of barely used original formula Spitfires come through my hands, often from people who had one skate or so and flatspotted, but like always, I can wear them out easily enough and they still work great on boards I have set up for others to ride, or on secondary boards.

Formula Four are just so versatile now though, so I feel like that could be the only wheel I would ever need, if I did have to have only one from now on.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5279 on: July 21, 2023, 10:21:45 PM »
I still love the way a fresh set of bigheads looks out of the pack but I prefer f4s in every way. classic formula felt too slow, sticky on the spots I skate, and I swear the bearings are hard as fuck to get out to change wheels. I love how they start out super white, but then they get yellow and gross looking, I felt like f4s maintained their color a bit better throughout their life even if they're not as white as the classic formulas.

I got a couple sets of f4s I've been rotating around for a couple years now and they surprisingly still look decent, color on the sides is still pretty the same from when I got them, riding surface though is another story but the second you skate a new set of wheels on the street the riding surface is nasty anyway.

all that said I kinda want to buy a set of bigheads now. I know the "classic full" is basically the same wheel as bigheads but I never understood why they didn't do f4 bigheads.